Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Paul
Let the good times roll!

Default Ford Territory Diesel busted!

CarAdvice has an exclusive on the diesel Territory ;-)

Via the front page - http://www.caradvice.com.au/35513/bu...iesel-details/

It's a 2.7-litre turbo diesel from the Land Rover Discovery3.

Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Should be good, if those power numbers are correct and it is mated to the ZF, say goodbye Captiva.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Well done, I realise they had issues with it but this should have been out long a go.
If they had this car out a year a go they would have gained some new customers to Ford. Many of the people here at the office wanted a Territory but wanted a diesel, they went elsewhere.
Old 21-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Crazed

Just what the Territory needs! I think any addition to the range is positive as it will get the Territory back in the spotlight. Also the rumour of an optional full length glass roof will give it great showroom appeal.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Wonder why they haven't looked at the new 3.0L Diesel thats available in the new Jags and Landrover. 200kw and over 600nm should get this big baby moving.....however.... numbers arn't a selling pt anymore, Fuel Econ is.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Front mount?? Looks like the normal air con unit to me.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha it is an air con unit- you can see the line going in at the bottom right is a standard air con fitting...

That other little radiator on the left of the photo behind the fog light hole is interesting though...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Although its not clear when this car will atcually be on the road (one would think based on these photos, particularly the interior shots it would be some time next year....probably 2/3rd quarter) it is clear Ford is coming on strong at present RE product. Given these mules are of the SY Mk1 not the newer mk2 it is clear they have been built and testing for a while.

Also worth noting since no mules with the next gen body panels are out yet it won't be too soon. Ford's work on SY2 confirms for me it will be some time before this thing is atcually in dealerships. Still, even if it is late it will be done properly.

When you take into account the shift in production of fiesta to thailand (much better economics) combined with Falcon Mk2, relaunched mondeo and longer term, new focus, ford is looking good for cotinued top notch cars. At the very least FOrd will be known for producing quality motor cars that lead their class...unlike our local manufacturer colleagues.

EDIT: maybe that little radiator is a trans cooler for the ZF...quite a bit of torque these diesels and throw in some off road work and the auto fluid will be getting a bit of a work out. Maybe someone knowledgeable on the ZF can provide an insight....do they have fluid/air coolers already on FG (if so, where are they??)

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting.... I see they have updated the inside to FG, but are they going to update the outside to FG as well??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About bloody time.

On the launch of the BF series where they also launched the series-II Territory's I was in a Territory with, then CEO of Ford Australia, Tom Gorman. We were driving back from Coffs to Port Macquarie and I brought up the subject of a possible Diesel powered Territory. Tom thought that diesel was a total waste of time and was adamant that there wouldn't be a Diesel Territory. I've got to say I was very disappointed by his attitude at the time.

The Territory is a great car and it's only drawback seems to be a thirst for fuel, to me a diesel powered engine was a no brainer. Maybe one day I'll be able to buy one for the missus.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
haha it is an air con unit- you can see the line going in at the bottom right is a standard air con fitting...
Caradvice strikes again _

Anyway, why would they fit a front mount to it when they already have a top-mount with a bonnet scoop developed for the TT? :
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Interesting.... I see they have updated the inside to FG, but are they going to update the outside to FG as well??
These 'scoop' photo's are to get more interest in the new terri.

First it was hearing that there was a diesel terri coming, then the rumour that it would be at the Melbourne motor show. It sparks interest for people to look at the SYII.

Now its the next phase in showing what the interior will look like. Then as we draw clear we will find out more and more to keep the interest in the car.

Slowly people are meant to get excited about the new model.
Old 21-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

LOL some people, a guy is having a go about panel gap on a mule car..ROFL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Im more interisted in if this Engine will pop up in a Falcon ute or will that leave all that for the ranger?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I would have thought the bean counters would try and get it in everything they could, would assume that would bring the unit cost down.

edit: wicked thought, TD FGII RTV :
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
LOL some people, a guy is having a go about panel gap on a mule car..ROFL
The guys on the caradvice blogs are usually a bit more civilised then the other sites out there. But you still get the odd drongo.

Funny enough, mostly i see toyota getting bashed the most on there, which is a reversal of some other websites. Also interesting to note that just as many complaints about poor running fords/holdens is met by comments about unreliable toyotas. Goes to show everyone makes lemons from time to time.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #17
barbarian
Banned

I suspect there will be major changes to the sheet metal as well once it's introduced
barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #18
Crazed

Apart from a radiator behind a foglight - which might just be there because its a mule and it may be testing various cooling conditions on the I6 engine, im starting to wonder what makes Caradvice so sure that there were 2.7l Land Rover diesels in these Territories.

Unless these werent so much spy shots, but a planned leak from Ford and as such some info was given to Caradvice... Some interesting reader comments at the end of the article too.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm 2.7 hey from a Discovery 3? When did that come out? like 2003, 2004? And there's excitement because an engine that's already been around for 5-6 years MIGHT be coming out again in another car next year? LOL. I agree with ivorya, it should be the 3.0L v6 from the Discovery 4 and new Jag XF/XJ. Except there would be no fuel economy trade off over the 2.7. Supposedly, it is more economical and has more power and torque.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

1.9 tonnes? Maybe the engine weighs minus 300kg as a petrol Territory is at least 2.2 tonnes.

The diesel mule I was next to at the lights a few weeks ago did not have a bonnet scoop, and the front bar was taped up, but it gave off the obvious diesel rattle that gave away what was under the bonnet.

Every other car that uses the V6 TD has a front mount whether its a Jag, Land Rover/Range Rover or Peugeot.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #21
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Still, for the next year or so until Ford get this to showrooms, the Craptiva and Kluger etc. will still be outselling it 100 to 1. Poor Ford - always been last to ALL parties RE car development...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #22
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Wonder why they haven't looked at the new 3.0L Diesel thats available in the new Jags and Landrover. 200kw and over 600nm should get this big baby moving.....however.... numbers arn't a selling pt anymore, Fuel Econ is.
I was wondering how can they tell what engine's under the bonnet plus does anyone know if the 2.7V6 tdi is still in production or for how long?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #23
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

10 bucks that the pic is a TT mule, before the top mount was decided.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #24
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
Still, for the next year or so until Ford get this to showrooms, the Craptiva and Kluger etc. will still be outselling it 100 to 1. Poor Ford - always been last to ALL parties RE car development...
What diesel Kluger will Territory be selling against?

Also, last month, Territory outsold Kluger and Craptiva. Strange, as Territory has two engine choices, and is up against a Toyota.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #25
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
So everyone has already bought their cars and come next year there will be no buyers left? Rather something be released that is 100% than find a crappy Korean car and rebadge it, even if it takes a while. Kluger do a great diesel by the way. :hihi:

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #26
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
the Craptiva and Kluger etc. will still be outselling it 100 to 1.
Am I missing something here ?

Are they selling 80,000 Captiva's and Kluger's per month ? :Up_to_som
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #27
HSE2

I have had some experience with this engine. It’s pretty darn good. Naturally the V8 TT would have been better. It’s a pretty compact jigger if I remember correctly but I guess a little too costly.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #28
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All too late for me. I'm trading my TTG for a NT Pajero GLS TD auto. The Territory just doesn't cut it as a soft/off-roader with no diesel option and no lockable-hi/low transfer case option. My TTG served it's purpose but will be replaced with a vehicle which is more suited for my driving needs.

Personally I believe Ford are 4 years too late with a diesel option and think they'll struggle to regain the popularity experienced with Territory.
Old 21-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #29
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
I'm trading my TTG for a NT Pajero GLS TD auto..
Nooooo! Im tired of adjusting the tappets on those bloody things. The less of them the better
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
Hubble80
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Should be good, if those power numbers are correct and it is mated to the ZF, say goodbye Captiva.
Those numbers are more impressive than the D4D in my Prado, which is 127kW and 410Nm.

Holden are going to see reductions in Captiva sales for sure. Hope they put the Turbo badge on the back!!!
Hubble80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post