Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-02-2005, 12:00 AM   #1
Philbie
Drvtme

Default Who has a ride on mower?

I gotta buy one, and it's all news to me.

Who's got one, and whats it like?
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

How much money have you got to spend, that makes a big difference.

I have a mtd, it's at the bottom end pricewise and isn't too bad but has some issues with the strength of some components. Rover are good, so too John Deere. Kubota would be an excellent purchase if you got plenty of dollars.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
Philbie
Drvtme

what model MTD? they have come recommended to me...

As for cost - up to $4000
Old 10-02-2005, 12:09 AM   #4
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Philbie ,.... its like most things in life ....... 'It's what you pay for" ..........

We have had a few ..... John Deere have been know to break ......I know its hard to do but ask my landloard ......

I am lead to believe Husquvana(sp?) are really good but pricey ........
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

We've got one. NFI what it is though. Was from a bowling club, and didn't work, but we did it up. Works well now, as long as you don't put it in reverse.
It'd give the XR a run in reverse.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:13 AM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

For $4k You'll get (just) a new MTD. I can't rememeber the model on mine and it's in the shed and I'm not!.

I'd look at a new MTD, as long as your not cruel and treat them well you'll get a lot of years of good service.

Are you mowing a "big yard" or doing some rough stuff?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #7
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We, well dad, has a cox stockman with the engine on the back (ride on, not lawn tractor). Its 20 years old, and lasted 15 years on its first engine, mowing a yard about 2 acres. Its tough as nails, and the only things needed to be replaced have been a roller on the cutter deck (was wooden and dad just found a bit of scrap the right size, good as new) and the usual mower blades. I can't speak any higher of the quality of these things. Well, back in the 80s anyway, I'm not sure of the quality now.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

We've got a 4 month old John Deere. It's been fantastic so far. Had to go with them, that's what the council use and they are happy with theirs.

Cost.. around $4000.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

We've got a MTD. Can't remember horsepower or cutting deck size, but got it second hand for about $600 with a fridge ;)

Husqvarna is a good brand. Dear though.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #10
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dad built ours out of stuff that had been kicking around the shed, and its been going for about 20 years! he ended up making a business out of it for a while...and sold quite a few, as long as the owners didnt let wet grass sit in the cutting deck, theyre all still going!
Old 10-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #11
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

second hand Cub Cadet, built by yanks and looks like a "yank tank." It suits mowing large areas with its 50" cut deck and huge motor, over 17HP, but forget what?

If your mowing a large area, fork out the extra dollars for a wider cutting deck!
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 01:14 PM   #12
Philbie
Drvtme

Cub Cadet - there's another thats been recommended......also made by MTD....Hmmm, a pattern is forming

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Old 10-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #13
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

I have a Masport 15.5hp hydrodrive...use it to cut 2 acres...had it for 6 years and it has casued me nothing but problems.

Had my time again I would get a Greenfield

Brad

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 01:47 PM   #14
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a point there actually, ive seen heaps of the old greenfields still getting around, so they must have been a decent unit
Old 10-02-2005, 02:39 PM   #15
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a greenfield, well built, made in Aus but a bit on the expensive side.
Seppo mowers are made for a different market where they don't mow as short or as often as Aussies do hence most of their stuff has a single cutter bar without swingback blades.
Aussie designed mowers tend to have a circular deck with swingback blades which are a bit more forgiving when you run into rocks etc.
In the end for us it came down to the Cox or the Greenfield as they both have a simple drive system and are simple well designed machines.
www.greenfield.com.au
www.coxmowers.com.au
Regards,
tote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #16
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

I second the size of the cut being appropriate. One of the reasons we went with ours was the large deck, also the more powerful engine and turning circle. Beware of the turning circle on a lot of models, especially if you have a lot of trees.

In our case, including front verge that we mow, we are cutting about 3 1/2 acres. We have lots of trees and a few hilly bits. Ours handles it all with ease (and comfort, the seat is great, and the cup holder comes in handy if you do it all in one day)
Old 10-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #17
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ride on has no brakes, or reverse, and i have about 2 1/2 acres, and its HILLY.

I take my life into my own hands trying to rally the rideon, using trees as full speed U-turn marker points, and my feet as brakes. :

Needless to say, i have stopped using this, even tho its fun. Back to my push mower now!
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #18
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
My ride on has no brakes, or reverse, and i have about 2 1/2 acres, and its HILLY.

I take my life into my own hands trying to rally the rideon, using trees as full speed U-turn marker points, and my feet as brakes. :

Needless to say, i have stopped using this, even tho its fun. Back to my push mower now!
2 1/2 acres with a push mower? *thud*
Old 10-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #19
xr8edute
Thats right baby X-rated

Thumbs up

IMHO you cant go past a Husqvarna. They have lots of models rangeing from a 15HP 36inch cut from just over $3000 right up to a 25HP 54inch cut for nearly $9000. I am actually in the business of selling and repairing ride on mowers and have found that the old saying is definitly true. You get what you pay for.
I think you should get the biggest HP you can afford because you can never have too much power, grunt! grunt!. :dr_Evil:
I have seen many of the newer L series John Deere mowers ruin their deck a long time before the motor has ended its usefull life. The John deere mower uses a very thin deck and quite light chassis for a big horsepower machine... so dont go near them.
Without knowing our price range or intended use it is hard to recommend the exact machine for you but i feel confident in saying that Husqvarna will have a mower for you.

Oh yeah i have a little bit of inside information that there is going to be an Autumn sale on soon so maybe wait for that.

PM me if you would like more info.

Cheers

RIP The Gentleman, Peter Brock 1945-2006
I cant believe they demolished that fatefull tree!!!
xr8edute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #20
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol i buy lawn mowing gear for a big contracting company and have tryed out heaps of diffrent ride ons over the years.stay away from anything built overseas their all shit compared to aussie built ones. of the aussie ride ons dont buy a current model rover rancher (they crack in the chassis) or the early model victa,s the new victa corvette is a cox king cat with a diffrent name and much cheaper $4400 or my pick atm is the cox lawn boss.its 13hp 32in cut and rrp $2990.

cheers.....ROD
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #21
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
2 1/2 acres with a push mower? *thud*
Pffft I was doing that when I was 12, only got a ride-on after I stopped having to mow the lawns :
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #22
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Pffft I was doing that when I was 12, only got a ride-on after I stopped having to mow the lawns :
Luxury, when I was a lad ....
Old 10-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #23
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know this is a bit off topic, but has anyone ever been to see the lawnmower racing?! its one of the funniest things ive ever seen
Old 10-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #24
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford2001
i know this is a bit off topic, but has anyone ever been to see the lawnmower racing?! its one of the funniest things ive ever seen
Yes, I have at the Geelong Motorsports Complex. They even had a guy, current world champion I believe, who had been flown in from the states!
Old 10-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #25
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDEE
my pick atm is the cox lawn boss.its 13hp 32in cut and rrp $2990.
I had a 'test mow' on one of these but the turning circle was not small enough for our needs. Tough machine though.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #26
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
We've got a 4 month old John Deere. It's been fantastic so far. Had to go with them, that's what the council use and they are happy with theirs.

Cost.. around $4000.
Sounds good,but has it got stripes lol
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #27
460cixy
burn out king

if the going is tough like most aussie lawns stick with a cox or greenfield the seppo stuff is just too tinny and weak. much the same for huskys. if ya want a good comercial mower thats tough go for a walker :hihi:
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 11:31 PM   #28
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

hmmm you could always...mod your mower if it's too underpowered

seriously though, it wouldn't be too hard to make the 25hp motor pump out almost 50 would it?
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 01:46 AM   #29
XRchic
Hello

Um my insurance company wont let me drive my turbo ride on mower coz it has too many mods and the insurance was cancelled. Allianz didnt like the APS stage II I put on it.... :P

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 02:38 AM   #30
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbie

As for cost - up to $4000
my brother just bought a new one $3300, i will get some details for you today..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post