Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Qld goal posts have moved (cameras)

For years the Qld Government allowed motorists to drive at 10% over the speed limit. It's plausible to assume that this is because Australian ADR's allow for a speedo to be out by 10%. Even when pressed by a reporter asking if the then new fixed cameras on the Story Bridge were calibrated to allow 10% over, Premier Bligh replied "YES".

Today, my wife received an infringement notice in the mail to say she'd been photographed driving at 110kph in a 100km zone on the M1 at Loganholme (by the fixed cameras on the Logan Motorway overpass).

So it appears that the Qld Government has moved the goal posts. As it's spent itself into oblivion, I hope it hasn't aligned itself with the draconian Victorian money grab where 2 kms over brands you as a killer.

Has anyone used or heard any reports about this organisation? http://www.aussiespeedingfines.com/

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Qld goal posts have moved (cameras)

There hasnt been any media release that i know of.. but im sure that the 10% leeway was never really written in stone.

I know a few cops who were in traffic branch and they only go after anyone who goes over 10% but have told me that its they only do out of their goodness of their hearts! as there is nothing written about allowing it.

I would however get your wife to challenge/ ask for the fine to be quashed if she has a clean "speeding" record.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Today, my wife received an infringement notice in the mail to say she'd been photographed driving at 110kph in a 100km zone on the M1 at Loganholme (by the fixed cameras on the Logan Motorway overpass).
I would seek some professional advice on the fine your wife received. I dont think your wife will have much luck though, 110 is at the limit of 10% over......

An acquaintance received a fine a few months ago for 101kmph in a 100kmph zone. I suggested they not pay it and see what happened.
They sought legal advice and the upshot was the fine was withdrawn.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
For years the Qld Government allowed motorists to drive at 10% over the speed limit. It's plausible to assume that this is because Australian ADR's allow for a speedo to be out by 10%. Even when pressed by a reporter asking if the then new fixed cameras on the Story Bridge were calibrated to allow 10% over, Premier Bligh replied "YES".

So it appears that the Qld Government has moved the goal posts. As it's spent itself into oblivion, I hope it hasn't aligned itself with the draconian Victorian money grab where 2 kms over brands you as a killer.

Has anyone used or heard any reports about this organisation? http://www.aussiespeedingfines.com/
Anna was correct because Story Bridge speed limit is 60 kph so 10% over is 66 kph.....

Around eight years ago, had a workmate tell me he got a speed camera fine for 10 kph over and he queried with a
copper mate who said mobiles patrols normally over 15 now 13 kph (3 pointer) and speed cameras are 10 kph and over.

In Queensland, the golden rule for many years is always sit below +10kph,
if you do +10 0r +11, you can expect a speed camera fine even though it's a 1 pointer...

My wife got one a speed camera fine in Gladstone earlier this year (70 in 60)
and our car is in both names so guess who got the fine...me.
Whoever's name appears first on the rego label gets the fine unless the other one owns up.....

Last edited by jpd80; 20-09-2011 at 09:45 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
gt-0194

hey pedro, have a little look at my fun thread in speeding boss (fpv and boss powered falcons)

Stock as a rock except for Quady Catback, Dvd , Shaker, Leather!
gt-0194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, just checked it out. Seems like the same set of cameras got my wife and you both. She's got cruise control but doesn't use it. I told her they'd get her some day, and they have.

Even though the 10% over was a given, I've always set my cruise at about 8% over and that keeps me up with the traffic, but from now on I'll set it a bit lower as who knows what the revenue raisers have got the cameras set at.
Old 20-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

remember qld police have had a long standing policy of 'zero tolerance' when dealing with road infringements (officially at least). I think the 10% thing is due to the inherent discrepances in factory speedo calibrations.

i'm certainly no angel but at the end of the day, the old rule applies- don't speed, don't get busted

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
mad-xa

sorry guys those cameras in loganholme are set to catch the people still doing 110 in the 100km/h zone thats why they where put there,,,
mad-xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The "10%" is also meant to allow for honest mistakes and speedo error...cars that are out by a bit, people drifting slightly over the limit...but if you deliberately think you are perfectly safe to drive at 110 in a 100 zone because you assume that they are "allowing" you to drive at 110 (which they never have), you're busted.
They've never "allowed" you to drive 10kph over the limit anywhere...what they do do...or used to...is make allowance for speedo error. But if you think they are going to let you do 110 in a 100 zone and get away with it, sorry...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #10
sudszy
Banned

Quote:

Even though the 10% over was a given, I've always set my cruise at about 8% over and that keeps me up with the traffic, but from now on I'll set it a bit lower as who knows what the revenue raisers have got the cameras set at.
The move to lower tolerances is because there is a large number of people(yourself included) that have treated the tolerances as a defacto speed limit.

Its a bit rich to claim the goal posts have been moved, there has never been a directive from the qld regulators or any other state saying their speed limit signs mean the posted value + 10%!

if the posted limit had been changed from 110 to 100 the day before then perhaps i could be empathetic to your plight.

Quote:
A quick search on goolge turned up the following:
http://www.aussiespeedingfine.com.au...ingfines1.html
http://www.aussiespeedingfines.com.au/
http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542

Bottom line = scam, and an old one at that.

Notice we have three different websites that practically have the same web address, lots of deceptions going on here....

Last edited by sudszy; 21-09-2011 at 02:33 AM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re the above posts.
Through the 80's and 90's I was on the roads in Qld nearly every day, all day, and used to clock up 70,000 to 80,000 kms per year for twenty years. In that time I have driven past countless cameras with the cruise control set at 10% over the posted limit and never been breached. Hence my statement that the goal posts have been moved.
Old 21-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
I would seek some professional advice on the fine your wife received. I dont think your wife will have much luck though, 110 is at the limit of 10% over......
This.

Also agree with mad-xa. You've gotta be completely stupid to get pinged there cause the 100km/h zone starts waaaaay back at the Beenleigh North exit.

I also know for fact my speedo calibration is out on the Paj up to about 8% so I know I can sit on about 107km/h indicated but know I'm only doing 100km/h (GPS).
Old 21-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

those cameras at loganholme have caught HEAPS of people since being installed and have been a real PITA. At forst there was no real warning they were there or activated... until people started getting fines.

I drove through there the other day, aware of the cameras and only doing the 100kmh limit, but i did then notice a new sign saying "speed camera ahead" with another sign below it which i find the biggest load of BS ever reading "for road safety" pull the other one!!!

revenue raising at its best.... Sorry to hear bout ya missus getting pinged but i really dont think there is much you can do about it.

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Re the above posts.
Through the 80's and 90's I was on the roads in Qld nearly every day, all day, and used to clock up 70,000 to 80,000 kms per year for twenty years. In that time I have driven past countless cameras with the cruise control set at 10% over the posted limit and never been breached. Hence my statement that the goal posts have been moved.
You are better off arguing about the existence of a diety with the Sunday morning wanderers.

I know the previous QLD policy just as you do and it bears no resemblence to the dogma of other states or their do-gooders' agenda.

The position of the goal posts is determined by a committee and enforced by linesmen and a referee. The linesmen and referee only follow the policy not make it so if you find the game is not fair and the committee uninterested and is just listening to the mindless ramblings of a few hard core one eyed fans and bean counters then obviously the commitee needs to be reminded and refreshed. March will be a good time to do that.

After all, the opinions of VFL tragics have nothing to do with how QRL is played despite attempts to combine AFL & NRL into one........

We are talking about football here aren't we?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First: there has never been an "official" allowance. They have admitted that there is an "error allowance" built in to the system, but they have never, ever, ever admitted what it was...sometimes they're even reluctant to admit it exists at all. Everyone just assumed it was probably the old "10% error allowed under the ADR's for cars older than a certain age, but no one knew for sure.

Second: yes indeed...the speed limit isn't, and never has been, "X-speed plus 10%"...it's X-speed...and if you wander over by a bit accidentally and go through a camera trap, you just have to hope and pray that they have allowed for a bit of speedo error and won't ping you. The limit is what it says on the sign, and anything over that which you happen to get away with once or twice, count as a blessing...but don't just drive around at 110 in a 100 zone and then act amazed when you get booked...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
fmc351
let it burn

But but... my grandma told me there was one, so it must be true. I also heard the ATO has a 10% leeway on income reporting. Also heard if its your first time, you cant get pregnant, or at least you will only be a little bit pregnant.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
Assassinbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_460bigblock
those cameras at loganholme have caught HEAPS of people since being installed and have been a real PITA. At forst there was no real warning they were there or activated... until people started getting fines.

I drove through there the other day, aware of the cameras and only doing the 100kmh limit, but i did then notice a new sign saying "speed camera ahead" with another sign below it which i find the biggest load of BS ever reading "for road safety" pull the other one!!!

revenue raising at its best.... Sorry to hear bout ya missus getting pinged but i really dont think there is much you can do about it.
Agreed Dave, those signs are on both sides of the highway, just as you cross the bridge, & these signs are about 300m before the overpass, I think somebody with a vinyl cutter should overlay a sign on the existing that says "FOR REVENUE".....
Old 21-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Qld Police admit that of all the traffic that passes their camera points,
only about 0.5% of vehicles receive infringement notices.
This is also backed up by current affairs programs doing their own
independent tests at camera sites and areas not under radar surveilance...

Police would argue that their anywhere anytime policy keeps all motorists in check
but i have come to believe that if there's about 1 in 200 drivers that continue to get caught,
then why aren't governments heaping praise on the 99.5% of drivers who are not fined?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #19
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple response. Speed limit sign says 100. If your speedo says more than that, and you get fined. Dont complain.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #20
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the simpletons who are saying "don't complain" had read my thread starter they would see that I wasn't complaining ... just stating an observation.
Old 22-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #21
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You are better off arguing about the existence of a diety with the Sunday morning wanderers.

I know the previous QLD policy just as you do and it bears no resemblence to the dogma of other states or their do-gooders' agenda.

The position of the goal posts is determined by a committee and enforced by linesmen and a referee. The linesmen and referee only follow the policy not make it so if you find the game is not fair and the committee uninterested and is just listening to the mindless ramblings of a few hard core one eyed fans and bean counters then obviously the commitee needs to be reminded and refreshed. March will be a good time to do that..........
Ain't that the truth!