Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Playstations, Regions and Rock 'N' Roll

Through my impatience, my recent burning pocket syndrome, and the weak US dollar, I decided to jump the gun and order myself the ultimate Playstation interactive game "ROCK BAND". If any of you are familiar with the Guitar Hero series of games, which I am a confessed addict of, well this game ups the ante and takes the platform a step further with the addition of a microphone to allow vocals, retains a similar guitar setup, option for bass and what I'm hanging out for, a killer drum kit. This will make for a wicked party game. Problem is, I have to wait until June or July, and if international experience tells me anything, delays and stock-outs will be expected.

In my supposed ingenuity, I ordered a PS2 version from the states, which uses all the same equipment, identical to the PS3 version, but lacking a few key features in the game format. So in the event that I may purchase a PS3 in the future, all I need to buy is the disc. So onto eBay, $300 AUD later, ordered, then had that sinking feeling.....hmmmm.....I think that PS3 will play both PAL and NTSC (Aus and US region codes respectively).....but I seem to remember that PS2 is region encoded. OOPS!!! Anyway, expecting delivery of the gear over the next fortnight, but won't be able to play it....at least thats what I understand through my research.

So to all of you tech orientated guys and girls, does anybody know if its possible to remove the region encoding on a slimline PS2????? I had a similar problem with my DVD players, but a bit of research unveiled some instructions which enabled me to do so with the remote at no cost whatsoever.

Worst case scenario, I will purchase a PS3, and order the game disc from the states, which will cost around $60 AUD landed. Does anyone know the game at all, or have a PS3? Any tips or advice or general feelings towards this game or the PS3, I would be very grateful and interested to hear and enlighten me with info regarding this big purchase.

LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Use DVD Decryptor to backup the DVD, be sure to check the following in the ISO Read Mode

- Remove IFO RC Protection

- Remove IFO RCEProtection

It will create an .iso file, then burn another DVD with this .iso file, in this case you will backup your DVD and remove region code at the same time.

Then you could be able to play the game region code free.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
phoenix99

i think u may need a mod chip.
phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whoa MYVYSS knows what he is talking about.

i cant help you LOCO XP but i just want to add that i have a PS3 and cannot wait for rock band to be released too!!!!!!
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MYVYSS, I may need to PM you if you dont mind in the next couple of days. So it is actually possible? Sounds promising anyway, cheers

If anybody has the 60gb PS3, which I understand is now unavailable, although there are a few on eBay, is it worth the extra cost (for back-compatability with PS1/PS2 games) or should I not worry about it and save in the area of $500? Also, has anybody tried an external hard drive via USB, and if possible, what can be accessed, eg MP3s, files etc? Can you store games onto an external hard drive?

Would be nice to actually be able to play the game on PS2 if possible, but am now seriously thinking of upgrading to PS3 some time soon as cash permits. What have people liked most about the new platform anyway?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

I have the PS3 and it is way cool.
I did the trade in from my PS2 and some 18 games and it cost me $240 change over for the 40GB model. Then all you simply do is buy a $10 USB card reader from ebay with 3 external usb ports, This then gives you the card reading ability and the 2 extra usb slots back. For another $100 ish buy a 2.5" sata internal drive 160gb and ta da.
I now have a 160 gb PS3 with all features except backwards capability for pS2 games.

I have a spare 40gb drive which I back stuff up on and can now store tons of stuff on it. I am in the process of putting my entire CD collection on the HD (takes a while if you have lots of CD's). I don't miss the PS2 games compared to the other offerings.
Just downloaded GT 5 prologue last night and started to play, graphics are awesome!

Get one you won't regret it, especially with all the future proofing it has with the added bonus of blu ray.(unlucky all you xbox 360 owners who brought the HD-DVD option).
Bodykit: Havoc
Wheels:XR8 AUII 17's
Interior: upgraded to Ghia,rebolstered seats.
Have parts just need fitting: Territory front brakes, Police issue rear brakes,Full sound system,Alpine HU/Processors,Focal speakers,Xtant amps.
kiwikid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCO XP
MYVYSS, I may need to PM you if you dont mind in the next couple of days. So it is actually possible? Sounds promising anyway, cheers

If anybody has the 60gb PS3, which I understand is now unavailable, although there are a few on eBay, is it worth the extra cost (for back-compatability with PS1/PS2 games) or should I not worry about it and save in the area of $500? Also, has anybody tried an external hard drive via USB, and if possible, what can be accessed, eg MP3s, files etc? Can you store games onto an external hard drive?

Would be nice to actually be able to play the game on PS2 if possible, but am now seriously thinking of upgrading to PS3 some time soon as cash permits. What have people liked most about the new platform anyway?
I do believe and think its possible, I changed my whole set up to region free, I now have DVD, HD-DVD, Blu Ray DVD and basically play everything on my PC..I was researching this for something else and come across the details for PS2 to become region free, I am not 100% sure if you need the mod chip as you effectively remove the region coding when copying the file in the first place. Oh and mate you are welcome to PM me anytime about anything....

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
SubJimbo
Car Newbie

You can remove the Region Coding as MYVYSS has said, If it does not work via DVD Decrypter, Then try ANYDVD.

You will however need a ModChip in your PS2, Unless you have a Action Replay Disk (Like myself) to play burnt games.
SubJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got the goodies, 4 days after dispatch from the states. Massive box containing a sweet "fender" stratocaster guitar, mic and drumkit. unpacked it even though i cant use it as yet, still trying to find out where to get the goodies to solve this dilemma......or convince myself to buy a PS3 and import the PS3 disc. seems to be a hassle to achieve as i have a slimline PS2 and most of the cds required dont recommend use for the slimline version.
Old 16-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Binnie
EB11 falcon GLI

are you sure the PS2 controlers are conpatable with PS3 as i'm sure there not. any you'd just have to buy the addapters.

FORDS IN THE PARK

FTF Car Club of NSW
Binnie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sure they're the same, checked out the reviews, that's what they said anyway. Basically said the PS2 version lacks a few features and details, but if you're desperate to play and don't have a PS3, you can always start with a PS2 bundle, and purchase the PS3 disc later on. The packaging (eg. drums and guitar) says "Guitar PS2/PS3" etc. May be wrong, but seems to be the same equipment. Anyway, found a good site, www.coolpc.com.au and ordered the Swapmagic 3.8 and Magic Switch Pro V3. Not sure if I need to purchase a mod chip though. I hear good things about the MEMOR32, which is a plug and play type, thus avoiding warranty problems since it doesnt require opening up the case.
Old 16-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #12
SubJimbo
Car Newbie

You could have got an Action Replay disk to transfer some Files from your Memory Card -> PC -< Memory Card, So you can play burnt games without a mod chip!
SubJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #13
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It appears that SwapMagic doesn't require any internal modifications or ModChip to boot copies and imports, but it requires the Magic Switch to enable the disc to be booted up and then replaced by the game or DVD you want to play. Hopefully works
Old 28-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorta does work, but still cant use this game. so phase 2, im sure there's an easy solution that doesn't cost much (eg. dump game onto computer, set up a patch, and burn to a DVD-R disc then load using swap magic)....but i have no software suitable and even less patience.....so just ordered a used PS2 from the US for $130 posted.....it will work...it has no choice!!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

note, posted elsewhere, however here's an update

I am tired. I played Rock Band on my just landed US PS2 for pretty much 6 hours straight last night. Too many beers for a Monday night. I am a couple of months ahead of its Australian release, and although it has probably cost more than anybody else is likely to pay after its local release, I have not a lick of regret. Here's the breakdown:

* PS2 Rock Band kit (Drums, Wireless Fender guitar, Microphone, USB Hub, Game disc) AUD $179 plus $119 express freight from US (4 days to arrive!)

* Swap Magic disc and Magic Switch, to enable play of import disc on Aus PS2 $55 (didn't work though)

*PS3 Rock Band disc, from Hong Kong (when I thought I'd buy a PS3) $60 incl freight (4 days to arrive)

*US PS2 console, 2nd hand, AUD $80 plus $40 freight from US (6 days)

Anyway, i wont add it all up, but awesome. Well worth it. My lovely girlfriend gets back from the bistro just before midnight, a 4 pack of Jack Daniels in hand (which strangely seems to have risen in price to eleventy ten dollars a can!)....anyway, I'm playing drums, a friend is playing guitar, she says we look ridiculous and what a waste of money. Also said that we look like big kids with big dreams, which i snapped back, is better than being an old man with no dreams.....but after 2 songs, she wants to hook up the GH guitar and do bass and i'd try to rock the mic. Heaps better than singstar may I add, with the ability to turn up the master volume and drown out your own noise, and with less sucky songs. Drums are challenging and unforgiving, even on Easy, guitar is similar in play to GH, if anything a bit easier. also a better guitar, with an extra 5 keys up the neck for "tapping out" solos. anyway, enough ranting, put your name down asap because if international experience is anything to go by, it may be out of stock for a long period after its initial release