Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
mitch_s

Default turbo timers, which ones are good?

guys im a newbie.
i need to buy a turbo timer for my xr6t.
i want something that looks the part and is good quality.
where and what brands should i look at.
anyone know of some that are sort of superior to others?

mitch_s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: turbo timers, which ones are good?

None, waste of money...you don't need one.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
mitch_s

i want one.
mitch_s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do you say they are a waste of money?

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those small HKS ones seem to be pretty good, there is a write up on here on how to install it too.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87
Why do you say they are a waste of money?

The theory is that they stop damage to the turbo, as in the imprellor is spinning at 10K whatever RPM, and when you turn off the car, the oil flow etc stops...

BUT...

All you are doing is having the car idle for X amount off time, when really, crusing around does the same thing...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

For a start they are illegal. They void your insurance. They make it easier to steal your car.

If you own a turbo car and can't look after (ie drive sensibly before shutting off, let it idle with you in the car) then you don't deserve to own one.

It sounds like a pure rice mod is what you're after. Good luck with the insurance - don't hit a Lambo...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

By the time you take your seat belts off etc you can turn engine off..
These where mainly used when turbo's didn't have any coolant through centre housing and heat coked oil on bearings.. With better oil, water cooled CRA, ball bearing in some cases ceramic ball bearing this is NOT an issue these days..More a pita and just someting to spend money on..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
For a start they are illegal. They void your insurance. They make it easier to steal your car.

If you own a turbo car and can't look after (ie drive sensibly before shutting off, let it idle with you in the car) then you don't deserve to own one.

It sounds like a pure rice mod is what you're after. Good luck with the insurance - don't hit a Lambo...
Hi. Who says they are illegal? The Vicroads website acknowledges the fact that they are in use and that the wording of the law re turning off the engine and leaving the car have been changed with this in mind. A turbo timer with a connection to the park brake or speedo will shut the car off if the car is moved so its not really any easier to steal. If its legal to use one and legal to buy one why will it void your insurance? Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69

They do not void your insurance. What is the difference between leaving the keys in your car and leaving the turbo timer on.

The insurance company will still pay out if you leave your keys in the ignition and your car is stolen.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Hell Cat

Aren't they pretty dangerous?
Say if you bust a fuel line or have a part failure?
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
They do not void your insurance. What is the difference between leaving the keys in your car and leaving the turbo timer on.

The insurance company will still pay out if you leave your keys in the ignition and your car is stolen.
Try it and tell insurance co.. Tmk you can be booked for leaving keys in an unoccupied car..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
XCH00N
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got one in my XR6t and have never had any dramas with it from police or dramas with the timer im running. Its an Apexi one and is easy enough to wire up too

Daily - BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo, Auto on 20s

Long Term Project - XB Sedan, too much to do on this one But its a 351, 4speed with a LSD 9inch (Back over home in NSW)
XCH00N is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the differance is the car is locked but running.

Nikked is right, even on a track theres a cool down lap or time thru the pits.

Just dont go from 100% for 30 mintues straight to full stop.Oil boils in turbo.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I won't say they are a waste of money, if your the type of driver that shuts down an engine with out it idling shortly first theyer fine. But there are other options, an accumulator in the line that will feed oil to the turbo for a short period. After the engine has shut down

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
Hi. Who says they are illegal? The Vicroads website acknowledges the fact that they are in use and that the wording of the law re turning off the engine and leaving the car have been changed with this in mind. A turbo timer with a connection to the park brake or speedo will shut the car off if the car is moved so its not really any easier to steal. If its legal to use one and legal to buy one why will it void your insurance? Cheers MD
Nos is legal to buy too... So it must ve legal on the street right? Lol

You can buy a truckload of stuff at your local supercheap auto that's illegal and defectable (if it's defectable it voids your insurance, btw). The government allows stuff like pod filters/NOS to be legally sold because they make tax from their sale (and argue people will only ever use such equipment on the track).

Turbo timers that allow you to lock and walk away from the car are illegal in NSW. Ring your insurance company if you don't believe me. They also allow another point of access for thieves to start your car. As someone has mentioned, and I believe this is the main reason they are illegal, is that there is an additional fire threat.

As for "it's just like leaving keys in your car" well you can be fined for leaving your keys in your car (like at a petrol station) and if your car is stolen from a petrol station with the keys in it your comprehensive insurance may be voided (check the pds).

That's why publications like HPI advise against the installation of turbo timers. I never needed one on my 32gtr... But then I looked after it and didn't flog it 10secs before turning it off.

Real life ain't like The Fast and the Furious..
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Had a (non Ford) turbo for 15 years and 185,000km with no problems, what I did was coast for the last 1/2 km or so, which allowed everything under the bonnet to cool down with the air flowing through, while the turbo winds down as well. Then switch off when parked. Much better situation.

Having the engine running for a while after parking actually heats the underbonnet area up with no air flowing through. Unless the fans are going, which also happens if there was no turbo timer.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #18
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Cat
Aren't they pretty dangerous?
Say if you bust a fuel line or have a part failure?
I used to work in insurance claims and I have seen many claims where people leave keys in the car, and the car is stolen. Insurance may have some questions but they do not denie claims for stupidity.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm surprised that stuff works in modern day cars easily as I thought the BCM would immobilise the car when the key is removed.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

New rules with Mobile phones too.. If engine is running even if key is out of ignition could draw some crabs ?? When pulled over on side of road..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ricer mod. As has been said, cruise the last couple K's and switch it off. Garrett even state on their website that they test their turbos to 10,000 hot shut downs.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #22
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didnt think you needed them on modern turbo's? Ive never seen one on a new car. I thought the idea was to give the turbo time to spin down and cool for a minute or so before you turn the car off, which happens when your idling anyway?

My brothers 1970 Daihatsu rocky (turbo diesel) has one, only time I've ever seen one.
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
That's a very understanding insurance company you have there...

I thought it was pretty standard knowledge that drink driving, failing to secure your vehicle by leaving the keys in it (or even if they can prove it was left unlocked), and modifications they don't know about are all means that all companies have used at one time or another to refuse a claim.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #24
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

I have an 95 JDM WRX with over 200,000 on it..
It doesn't have a turbo timer and STILL going strong..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #25
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they come firmly under the heading of "If they were truly neccisary, the manufacturers would fit them to every single turbocharged car"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #26
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Heres a thought, if he wants one, let him. It's his car, no one elses. Let him do what he pleases to it.

"i want something that looks the part and is good quality.
where and what brands should i look at.
anyone know of some that are sort of superior to others
?"

He never asked your opinions of it, so stop being childish to him and answer the question?

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #27
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
That's a very understanding insurance company you have there...

I thought it was pretty standard knowledge that drink driving, failing to secure your vehicle by leaving the keys in it (or even if they can prove it was left unlocked), and modifications they don't know about are all means that all companies have used at one time or another to refuse a claim.
Try find in any insurance policy, leaving your keys in your car will void a claim. It could be argued that just closing the door is enough to secure the car. Call your insurer and ask them the question and I can say, they will still cover the car.

Back on topic , if the OP wants a turbo timer, how about we answer his question. There has only been a couple of people who has actually suggested a brand. The ones I like are from Greddy. Look them up.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #28
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
None, waste of money...you don't need one.
Totally incorrect
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #29
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good ones bypass the ecu key out shutdown so there is no need to leave your keys in the ignition , to be honest have never heard of one that actually requires you to do this as they would be totally and utterly pointless .

There are some very common misconceptions regarding turbo timers and accumulators , they serve two distinctly seperate purposes .

Turbo timers allow and engine to normalise before shutdown . When you drive a turbocharged car hard you will get localised hot spots in the combustion chamber and what a turbo timer does is allow the engine to idle with no load thus allowing the coolant flow to normalise the temperature across the cylinder head so when the engine stops you dont end up cavitating through from the water jacket to the combustion chamber . When the car stops the turbo is still spinning ( albeit slowly ) for a short period of time with no lubricant flow to the bearings .

An accumulator comes into its own here as it forces oil through the bearings during this critical phase and good ones actually force lubricant through them on start up too before the engine oil pressure has had a chance to build up .

To answer the OP's original question Bogaard used to do a really good one , haven't fitted one for ages so there may be others now .
Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y
]?"

He never asked your opinions of it, so stop being childish to him and answer the question?

Yes he did....

He was advised (in great detail) as to why they are not needed, and received some (mixed) opinion as to the view of insurance companies.

So:

-There are better brands then others
-Still a waste of money...even the turbo manufacturers (and Car manufacturers tell you you don't need them-with your water cooled ball bearings)
-IF you are really worried, don't drive like Ken block when you are half a click from home.
-Check your Insurance company to clear up, as some will deem them as a void
-Check local modification laws.

\≡≡T≡≡/