Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Default Is this good for a first car?

The time has come for me to start looking around for my very first car. id like to get it before i get my learners, as i don't want to be driving my dads gutless 2.8 diesel hilux. I just want to know, is this 2002 AU falcon ute good as a first car - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/malan...ute/1008698416

Old 30-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is this good for a first car?

Is the Hilux free?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
kempy311
BEN

No not with 300000kms.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR
Is the Hilux free?
No, my dad wouldn't give that thing up if his life depended on it.
Old 30-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

If you are allowed to drive your dads car, perfect! Just pay for fuel and happy days!
But if youre like me and you want your very own car to do whatever you like with whenever you like (and dislike gutless diesels haha) then that ute looks allright... has the good roo bar on it too
Good AU's dont have many problems at all (biggest issue would be rust haha) so if you have the cash and can afford fuel, rego and CTP then go right ahead and check it out! (Or morso get it checked out by a mechanic or a specific used car inspector.) You could perhaps get it for $1500..?

If those 300,000kms weren't hard kms then youd get a bit out of it yet! Once you (or somebody else) look over the car you'll soon tell how the car was more or less treated. But be wary nontheless.

But the best thing i can say to you is, if you can, save more money and try and buy a lower km cleaner so to speak example, in the longer term it would be better for your wallet! But given its an AU...it might not be too bad. Lots of members on here have AU's (and/or Falcons in general) with well over 300k on them and they run fine.
An A series would be a great first car

Thats my 2c take it or leave it. Good luck anyway!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
BlueBear
Shockwave

Looks to be a pretty good example aside from the k's.
There a pretty tough ute though and the motors often do over 400,000k's so wouldn't be too worried about that, besides you can get good 2nd hand motors for around $400.00 anyway.
I would however check the gearbox, diff, brakes etc.
If it comes with a RWC for that price, I reckon it's OK.

Got one myself with 260,000k's and going strong...

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
If you are allowed to drive your dads car, perfect! Just pay for fuel and happy days!
But if youre like me and you want your very own car to do whatever you like with whenever you like (and dislike gutless diesels haha) then that ute looks allright... has the good roo bar on it too
Good AU's dont have many problems at all (biggest issue would be rust haha) so if you have the cash and can afford fuel, rego and CTP then go right ahead and check it out! (Or morso get it checked out by a mechanic or a specific used car inspector.) You could perhaps get it for $1500..?

If those 300,000kms weren't hard kms then youd get a bit out of it yet! Once you (or somebody else) look over the car you'll soon tell how the car was more or less treated. But be wary nontheless.

But the best thing i can say to you is, if you can, save more money and try and buy a lower km cleaner so to speak example, in the longer term it would be better for your wallet! But given its an AU...it might not be too bad. Lots of members on here have AU's (and/or Falcons in general) with well over 300k on them and they run fine.
An A series would be a great first car

Thats my 2c take it or leave it. Good luck anyway!

Thanks. I think i will speak a bit more to my dad on it. If he thinks it is good, then we will go check it out. Otherwise, i will keep looking round. Im after anything from a XH ute to a BA ute.
Old 30-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have a good look at it before buying as its been mentioned. if its been well looked after take it. there a good ute. mines been in the family for 4 years and its pretty bulletproof. nothing really major has gone wrong. just wear and tear stuff. (tyres and oil pressure sensor leak) starts every go. I'd recommend it if its been looked after pretty well. good luck
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

I agree with what Interceptor's said...
If it were me, I'd get some one who knows what to look for very well with cars to come along.

300,000 is a bit more than I'd be comfortable with. I'd see what else there was first, and if it's close enough, go have a good look at it.

My family's cars are both Falcons, and we haven't anywhere to park a car for me while I'm on L's, I just drive ours. Dad would like to upgrade to a Patrol or something so I can possibly get the AUII wagon. They decided that my chauffeuring is worth the little bit extra fuel!
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

When it comes to AUs, forget the odometer reading. As its been said, condition, condition, condition. Get it looked over good & proper.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311
No not with 300000kms.
Depends more on how it has been driven and serviced , my EF's just racked up 360,000 K's and drives like the day we bought it .
Old 30-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Depends more on how it has been driven and serviced , my EF's just racked up 360,000 K's and drives like the day we bought it .
Very true but how do you know when you buy it from someone its a been looked after.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyf6
No, my dad wouldn't give that thing up if his life depended on it.
Hm ? Your's might though ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
Falcman0o7
Banned

Don't you want a VL bro LOL
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear
Looks to be a pretty good example aside from the k's.
There a pretty tough ute though and the motors often do over 400,000k's so wouldn't be too worried about that, besides you can get good 2nd hand motors for around $400.00 anyway.
I would however check the gearbox, diff, brakes etc.
If it comes with a RWC for that price, I reckon it's OK.

Got one myself with 260,000k's and going strong...

Cheers,
Got to agree, any bloke should be starting out with a (cheapish) ute in the stable. Certainly may be a lot of safer/better cars, but the beers and free meals you'll get from a ute will soon pay for your next investment!!
Old 30-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
Itsme
Experienced Member

The gutless 2.8 diesel hilux might teach you to be patient on the roads!!!
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are probably a bit biased here. but I can tell you as someone who has worked in the industry for 15 years the AU is a good car. I would even go as far as saying its a very good car and hugely underrated amongst the used car buying public. high km examples that have been well maintained can still provide you with a positive experience for years to come, but at those kms like any car if its history is poor it would be worth steering clear off.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
robbyj
Rob

Im guessing your not to set on 'good' looking ute and rather the practical side of it.

As others have said, get it checked over, and drive it and see how it goes.

My first car was and still is an AU. Hasn't missed a beat. racked up 200k a few months ago
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it has been looked after Ks don't mean much on an AU. these things are bullit proof. I've seem many AUs do 800Ks plus on one engine. as much as some people rubbish the AU they were one of the most reliable Falcons made and this one is a series three the best of the lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311
No not with 300000kms.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu
The gutless 2.8 diesel hilux might teach you to be patient on the roads!!!
Nope sorry! I bought an 83 Subaru wagon when i got my P's, probably had 30hp at the wheels haha. Progressed onto a 2.5L diesel 4wd dual cab, had a tad more power than that

Its annoying when you dont have power when you need it. The diesel 4wd i had, foot to the floor could be outrun by a bicycle rider for the first 100m.
It did 0 to 100 in 28 seconds Slower with air con on.

Sold it and bought the AUII...power on tap, TORQUE! Seamless cruiser that handles fantastic...Dont miss the 4wd at all. Patience level is all the same, im just less annoyed and less frustrated by having a very responsive car that does what i want when i want!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 30-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #21
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj
Im guessing your not to set on 'good' looking ute and rather the practical side of it.

As others have said, get it checked over, and drive it and see how it goes.

My first car was and still is an AU. Hasn't missed a beat. racked up 200k a few months ago

Yeah, the practical side comes first. though i do sorta like the out there styling of it
Old 30-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #22
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyf6
The time has come for me to start looking around for my very first car. id like to get it before i get my learners, as i don't want to be driving my dads gutless 2.8 diesel hilux. I just want to know, is this 2002 AU falcon ute good as a first car - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/malan...ute/1008698416
The Falcon will feel like a rocket compared to the 2.8L Hilux. Hills will no longer be your worst nightmare.
Old 31-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #23
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Definitely have a good look at it. If you know anyone with an AU that is definitely very good, they'd be a good person to have a look if theyre into cars a bit. I'd have a look for you myself if I could. Our car is in tip-top cond really and doesnt miss a beat for a second! I'd notice a difference.
What's good about me maybe getting our wagon is that I know the cars history. Had it since age two and 50,000kms, and its now done 190,000. I know it'd never let me down.

With this car having done 300,000 and you not knowing the history, it could look good on the day and turn out a dud, or opposite, or look good and be good! Who knows! $2,000 does sound like a reasonably fitting price for a car of those kms to me.
If you do get it, paint the bullbar silver, trust me, it looks better
Good luck!
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It`s a cheap car, less k`s would be nice, but again it`s a cheap car, and if in decent mechanical order(been serviced properly), parts are dirt cheap, if the engine/auto dies , they are a dime a dozen to buy and easy to remove refit, just in case it`s been in floods i`d be having a look at the rails for rust, i wish my first car was that good.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #25
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Rust...Check underneath the car in the sills, on the chassis rails, look for rust "runs" from some areas like infront of the battery and around the wiper cowling, just look under there too if you can anyway. Also look under the weatherseals that attach to the car (not the door). There's almost always some around the bonnet latch too haha but that not a big deal normally.

You wouldnt beleive what i found on my wagon...the only places i didn't check and guess where the rust was

Subaru Outback '02
Old 31-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #26
LightningStrike

Also check door jambs and under the sill scuff plates, as my AUII was starting there when I sold it a few months back (for almost double what this is going for, but mine was manual on gas) it seems like decent value, subject to an inspection, and of course, a bit of polite and respectful haggling. The canopy mentioned in the ad might seem like you will never use it, but it could come in handy, our be sold on Ebay for some extra coin. Good luck!

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #27
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Don't you want a VL bro LOL
A fully *** purple one !!!
Old 31-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for 2 grand, if it runs well and everything works. Its a bargain, If its got a bit of rust as long as its not structural who cares (as long as you wont get a defect for it, are their roadworthys in QLD after the sale?)its a $2000 ute for a first car. I say go for it but take someone along who knows cars to check it out, and enjoy. I think some people forget your not buying a near new car, your buying a 300000km $2000 ute.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #29
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Its annoying when you dont have power when you need it. The diesel 4wd i had, foot to the floor could be outrun by a bicycle rider for the first 100m.
pfft. i had a mazda wagon with a 1200cc engine. i had to plan ahead if there was a hill.
Old 31-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #30
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We all think when we are younger that we wont hit anything, but we do, so save some bucks and drive dads old Tojo for a year or so and keep an eye on how much it really costs to own and maintain a vehicle. Of course thats the sensible older me but the younger me would buy the ute. No wonder I was always poor.