Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Gold Coast Attractions - fun but non mainstream ideas

Hey guys,

Ive been to the Gold Coast like most here a heaps of times and done all the usual major attractions there like the theme parks, Currumbin, Mt Tambourine, Sunshine Coast etc.

I'll be heading up there again in the first week of Jan 2016 with friends who have never been but was also looking for new inspiration in things to do for myself and the mrs that we havent done before. This can include Brisbane itself.

We are staying in Upper Coomera.

Things we have done:
Theme Parks (all of them numerous times)
Currumbin Wild Life Sactuary
Mt Tambourine multiples times including Natural Bridge and the latest suspension walk in the rain forest.
Go Karting at Willowbank
Ripleys Believe it or Not
Intensity
Kayaking from Labrador
Observation Deck of Q1
Done Cavill ave to death

Now we are not super adventurous types (not into night clubbing or things like that) but we do like things that peak our interest like food, culture, nature walks, interactive activities which arent too strenuous. I also would like good spots for some landscape photography which I am into so if you know of places which you can recommend which arent too far away that I could check out (preferably at sunset) that would be awesome. Also maybe something a little sci fi in nature if there happens to be something like that in a tour or place of interest, like an observatory?

Ideas I have thought of are:
Food tours
Night tours
Hire a bike and ride the CG to Coolangatta and back
Cruise boat around stradbroke or the inner canals of the GC
Maybe some snorkeling?
I have thought about the Aqua duck but that doesnt really appeal
Sand Boarding if it's not too far
The Wax Museum

Can any of you guys recommend some more ideas that are perhaps hidden sort of attractions that locals know but isnt often advertised but should be?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Re: Gold Coast Attractions - fun but non mainstream ideas

Trip across to Moreton Island for a day/snorkeling is good but pricey.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Or if you wanted to get your multicultural and wildside out, spend a day in Woodridge.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Can any of you guys recommend some more ideas that are perhaps hidden sort of attractions that locals know but isnt often advertised but should be?
I have lived here 18 years and I havent done any of the things that you have mentioned, so I got nuthin to suggest for you, apart from, go somewhere else!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

Point lookout, Nth Stradbroke island is a must

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #6
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Lunch at the Breakfast Creek Hotel in Bris.

Was my Dad's favourite spot back in his interstate trucking days.
Though I believe it's now owned by Woolworths or something, so who knows. I was there in early 2012. Pricey, but the steak was nice!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2015, 12:06 AM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thanks guys. I hear moreton is 4wd accessible only? Will look into nth straddy.
Lol at the woodridge comment. I know what that place is like. Reminds me of Elizabeth in adelaide. :-P

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 07-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #8
prydey
Rob

Shav, I'll be up there at the same time. I'll also have my bike on me if you wanted to meet up for a pootle.

Knowing you like photography, have you done the skywalk, about halfway up mt tamborine?

Also not sure if they still do but wet n wild used to open until 9pm during summer holidays and screen movies in the wave pool.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2015, 02:11 AM   #9
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jet Boats or Ducks on Broadwater. Jetski Hire, no licence required, tailored to suit your style, its really a tour of BW and guide will take you. Brisbane, Story Bridgeclimb or Kangaroo Point under the south end of Storey Bridge has great views. There is a hire place there does Segway tours. Southbank, take the train from Coomera and alight at Southbank, Big Wheel, QPAC, Art Gallery and Maritime Museum, man made beach for a swim etc which is on the river opposite the City. Grey St behind SB has bucketloads of restaurants. Take a city sights tour on the river up to Breakfast Creek, early tour drops u off and later one picks u up after lunch. Eagle Street Pier eateries galore overlooking the river. Paddlewheel boat ride and lunch inc up the river. Ferry ride up and down the river. Want views over Brisbane, Mt Coo-tha and at the bottom is also the botanical gardens, Café at the top for lunch. Hamilton, north side of river Eat St Markets, basically just pop up eateries in a small area with live music fri/sat nights. Similarly there is Marketta St markets like pop up restaurants at Miami fri/sat nights. Hamilton area is also an old area and worth a look around `in daytime also New Farm Parks and Brisbane Powerhouse is an old P/H turned live theatre on the river beside New Farm Park. want a bit of Moreton Bay history and a fun day out then look for St Helena Island gaol tour leaves from Manly inc lunch. Most of these places I have been to, not all. You have done Tamborine but there are some nice hinterland drives, Hinze Dam has a café for lunch and walks around and across the dam. Back at Goldie there are canal tours just search. That's a start. Southport has Ghost and Cemetry Tours.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Shav, I'll be up there at the same time. I'll also have my bike on me if you wanted to meet up for a pootle.

Knowing you like photography, have you done the skywalk, about halfway up mt tamborine?

Also not sure if they still do but wet n wild used to open until 9pm during summer holidays and screen movies in the wave pool.
Hi Rob, yes I have done the skywalk and plan to do it again with some of the guys Im going with.

I didn't know about wet n wild being open till that time. So that is a bonus.

As for riding I'd love to catch up for a ride. I'd have to hire a bike though, Will have to see what everyone else is doing though. I'll let you know if something can be done.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 07-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Jet Boats or Ducks on Broadwater. Jetski Hire, no licence required, tailored to suit your style, its really a tour of BW and guide will take you. Brisbane, Story Bridgeclimb or Kangaroo Point under the south end of Storey Bridge has great views. There is a hire place there does Segway tours. Southbank, take the train from Coomera and alight at Southbank, Big Wheel, QPAC, Art Gallery and Maritime Museum, man made beach for a swim etc which is on the river opposite the City. Grey St behind SB has bucketloads of restaurants. Take a city sights tour on the river up to Breakfast Creek, early tour drops u off and later one picks u up after lunch. Eagle Street Pier eateries galore overlooking the river. Paddlewheel boat ride and lunch inc up the river. Ferry ride up and down the river. Want views over Brisbane, Mt Coo-tha and at the bottom is also the botanical gardens, Café at the top for lunch. Hamilton, north side of river Eat St Markets, basically just pop up eateries in a small area with live music fri/sat nights. Similarly there is Marketta St markets like pop up restaurants at Miami fri/sat nights. Hamilton area is also an old area and worth a look around `in daytime also New Farm Parks and Brisbane Powerhouse is an old P/H turned live theatre on the river beside New Farm Park. want a bit of Moreton Bay history and a fun day out then look for St Helena Island gaol tour leaves from Manly inc lunch. Most of these places I have been to, not all. You have done Tamborine but there are some nice hinterland drives, Hinze Dam has a café for lunch and walks around and across the dam. Back at Goldie there are canal tours just search. That's a start. Southport has Ghost and Cemetry Tours.
A wealth of suggestions. Thanks mate that's great. I'll look into those. I love doing the jail tours. I did one in Freo last xmas and it was a photographers heaven. So stuff like that interests me greatly. I also like the history. I knew about South Bank and I did it years ago but it will be something I'll do again with the group Im with. Not into ghosty stuff personally but a night tour of the city highlights or something like that sounds good. I got some research to do now. Cheers.

If you have any more suggestions, please let me know.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 07-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Definately St Helena i have a half price coupon here somewhere still , springbrook drive sat night is a must ...

Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #13
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLR View Post
Definately St Helena i have a half price coupon here somewhere still , springbrook drive sat night is a must ...

Yes Scoupon or Groupon or Our Deal or Living Social do them, that's where we got ours. Was a bit of a laugh, bit of 'istory and a nice lunch too.
Where is the Springbrook drive to and from?
Old 08-11-2015, 01:09 AM   #14
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

O'Rielly's Tree Top Walk is out a bit further, I checked the Springbrook drive too. Looks like it doesn't go through so there and back along the same road.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #15
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

What about going to the Dick Johnson Museum? You'll see a few of the classic DJ cars, as well as the new ones and memorabilia all over

It's about half way between the Gold Coast and Brisbane, at a place called Stapylton

http://www.djrteampenske.com.au/contact-us/visit
carwant.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwant.com.au View Post
What about going to the Dick Johnson Museum? You'll see a few of the classic DJ cars, as well as the new ones and memorabilia all over

It's about half way between the Gold Coast and Brisbane, at a place called Stapylton

http://www.djrteampenske.com.au/contact-us/visit
Ive actually taken the mrs to see that already a few years ago. Had an awesome time.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont