Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Default NSW Speed Zones Review

For those outside of NSW, the new Government are reviewing speed zones across the state & changing many of them, so there aren't so many speed changes. Initially I thought this is a good idea, & thought some of the ridiculous speed limits placed under the last government, would be changed to something more suitable (up or down), & we also wouldn't have to keep looking at the speedo to see we aren't speeding.
All that changed today, recently on the New England Hwy, they changed the number of speed zones over 160 km's from 31 to 26, all good, but they added a 50k zone going through the Upper Hunter town of Singleton, changing 4 speed zone changes into 5. Note this is a highway, & while it passes though town, it's not the main street & there aren't many shops, (few businesses, hotels, motor inns, KFC, Macca's, etc.) This road has been 60k's for as long as I can remember, & whilst I don't live there, I pass through semi regularly, & don't remember seeing or hearing of many accidents & deaths. The Police are patrolling this speed zone change strongly, & must be making a killing in fines, from the 1000's of vehicles that pass through every day. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...ndhwy_1908.pdf
Things really got ridiculous today, when I received an email notifying me of speed changes on some inner Sydney streets. 5 streets have been changed from 40 or 50k zones, to 10k "shared zones". Admittedly they are small streets, but 10 kph. Who's going to police those, & if they do, it's likely a lot of large fines & points loss will be handed out, considering most cars speedos, have 10kph as the first increment, so given ADR allowed inaccuracies, staying under that speed can't be accurately measured, & if you happen to get caught doing 30k's (hardly dangerous even with pedestrians around), you'll get done for over 20k's with loss of 4 points & $371 fine. Ouch! http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...ney_161211.pdf

cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Default Re: NSW Speed Zones Review

The police always seemed to be parked at each end of Singleton on that road just about everytime I drove through.

And some areas on the pacific highway seem to have gone from 100 zones to 110 zones.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"hen I received an email notifying me of speed changes on some inner Sydney streets. 5 streets have been changed from 40 or 50k zones, to 10k "shared zones". Admittedly they are small streets, but 10 kph. Who's going to police those, & if they do, it's likely a lot of large fines & points loss will be handed out, considering most cars speedos, have 10kph as the first increment, so given ADR allowed inaccuracies, staying under that speed can't be accurately measured, & if you happen to get caught doing 30k's (hardly dangerous even with pedestrians around), you'll get done for over 20k's with loss of 4 points & $371 fine. Ouch! http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...ney_161211.pdf"

the sheer idiocy we allow the government to get away with.

most joggers, and bike riders can exceed that.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
ray38l

they did the same in muswellbrook. The highway leading in is 50kmh now. It makes no sense, the road is dual lanes either side. It didnt change the amount of speed changes because it now goes from 100 to 60 to 50 instead of 100 to 80 to 60. Obviously revenue raising at work
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They made the New England Highway more boring then it already is. All they did was extend 60 zones and add a 50. Did not make this road any easier to drive.
Guy at work got done for 72 in the extended 60 zone even though it was 80 not long ago.

Quicker they get this expressway done the better. If it is not 110 when done I will not be impressed.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post