Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
mutanti
Turbo

Cool Hoons cars to get destroyed.... !!

Newspaper Article...

Just going threw the newspapers and found something a few of you might be interested in....
:

CAR hoons will be penalised and humiliated under a NSW government initiative to wreck the vehicles of offenders and publish video footage of the destruction.
NSW Premier Morris Iemma says the plan proposes to destroy hoons' cars in demonstration tests under controlled conditions.

"Car hoons engage in potentially lethal, property destroying, anti-social behaviour," Mr Iemma said in a statement today.

"We're turning the tables. We'll destroy their property - but do it for the right reasons."

Police Minister David Campbell said film of the cars being destroyed would be publicly released.

"Video footage of these once-prized possessions being turned into splintered, twisted scrap will be the clearest message yet to hoons that we're serious about stamping out their behaviour and saving lives in the process."

The comments come after a weekend when police confiscated four cars whose drivers were allegedly racing on suburban Sydney streets.

In separate incidents on Saturday night, two 23-year-old men, one a provisional licence holder, a 19-year-old man and 29-year-old man had their cars confiscated by police and were ordered to face court for street racing.

Mr Iemma said the plan to destroy hoons' cars would provide valuable controlled crash statistics, and footage of the destruction would be used as a deterrent to wannabe hoons, while also educating young drivers.

"The modified, loud and often illegal vehicles confiscated from car hoons will be smashed to pieces in our crash labs, the results filmed and analysed, and the wrecks shown to other young drivers as a warning," Mr Iemma said.

"The RTA will also use the unique tests to investigate the potential effects of certain modifications on overall crashworthiness.

"And we'll show the wrecks at education days for young drivers, or at other RTA presentations."

Offenders would have to be convicted of street racing before the vehicles could be destroyed.
mutanti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
Eaglexr

Good!...I welcome this move.
Eaglexr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id love to see the number of innocents killed by drink driving vs the number of innocents killed by "hoons".

id bet my life drink driving kills more yet we let them keep their cars and licence.

what a crock
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I agree, mid-high level drink drivers should get their cars destroyed too as I think they're a far greater menace.
Keen to see the details on what constitutes a 'car destroyable' offence though....... obviously 'hoon' means something different to everyone.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Rock ape

all this will do is start more car chases. If you new your car will be destroyed will you stop or run?

New FG XR6T ZF
Rock ape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What worries me is what the definition of hooning will be in the future

"Under new Hoon laws police chase 4 youths racing down Princess Hwy approaching speeds of 85k's per hour in a 80 zone"

Dont get me wrong if someone does something really reckless they deserve to lose their cars - It will be interesting how all this works out

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
Rock ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076

"Under new Hoon laws police chase 4 youths racing down Princess Hwy approaching speeds of 85k's per hour in a 80 zone"

Dont get me wrong if someone does something really reckless they deserve to lose their cars - It will be interesting how all this works out

Thats right do 130 in a 110 zone to pass that truck safely and dam no more car.

New FG XR6T ZF
Rock ape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
ms700
Big Member

Like others have said, street racing is a problem, but i think that they need to shift their focus to other more dangerous drivers on our roads - those drunk or drugged.

I personally dont know anyone who has been killed by street racing, i know of 2 people killed by drunk drivers.

Tuned by GENTECH 567rwkw/760rwhp

BA XR6T Tuned by GENTECH 349rwkw.

2013 H/D Nightrod Special - DynoJet PowerVision tuned.
ms700 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

This is the biggest load of Cr@p i have ever heard of, My old man was street racing back in the 60's like most of your old mans out there and there still here to tell the tale. I dont think Finance companies will stand for there Encumbered cars being destroyed than them not being able to reposes a car when the owner refuses to pay the payments. What ever happen to the saying Two wrongs dont make a right. Maybe impound the cars for 3 months first offence than 6 months second offence and keep doubling it every offence there after.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

not a fan of this idea... i cant see some serious car chases up ahead....

agreed on the drunk drivers getting it too easy! why are the laws so tight on hoons, yet free flowing on drunk and drugged drivers?

another issue, the crash testing... they are now going to make it harder to modify our cars :evil3:
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076

Your on the money, the definition of hoon is not descriptively set at law.

We will start on repeat drink drivers, then where do we stop?
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Drink drivers should be IN the car when its crushed...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
Boosh Brus

Default 'We'll destroy hoons' cars

Quote:
'We'll destroy hoons' cars - and video it'
Email Printer friendly version Normal font Large font November 12, 2007 - 8:05AM

Advertisement
Car hoons will be penalised and humiliated under a NSW government initiative to wreck the vehicles of offenders and publish video footage of the destruction.

Premier Morris Iemma says the plan proposes to destroy hoons' cars in demonstration tests under controlled conditions.

"Car hoons engage in potentially lethal, property destroying, anti-social behaviour," Mr Iemma said in a statement today.

"We're turning the tables. We'll destroy their property - but do it for the right reasons."

Police Minister David Campbell said film of the cars being destroyed would be publicly released.

"Video footage of these once-prized possessions being turned into splintered, twisted scrap will be the clearest message yet to hoons that we're serious about stamping out their behaviour and saving lives in the process."

The comments come after a weekend when police confiscated four cars whose drivers were allegedly racing on suburban Sydney streets.

In separate incidents on Saturday night, two 23-year-old men, one a provisional licence holder, a 19-year-old man and 29-year-old man had their cars confiscated by police and were ordered to face court for street racing.

Mr Iemma said the plan to destroy hoons' cars would provide valuable controlled crash statistics, and footage of the destruction would be used as a deterrent to wannabe hoons, while also educating young drivers.

"The modified, loud and often illegal vehicles confiscated from car hoons will be smashed to pieces in our crash labs, the results filmed and analysed, and the wrecks shown to other young drivers as a warning," Mr Iemma said.

"The RTA will also use the unique tests to investigate the potential effects of certain modifications on overall crashworthiness.

"And we'll show the wrecks at education days for young drivers, or at other RTA presentations."

Offenders would have to be convicted of street racing before the vehicles could be destroyed.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...766541131.html

WTF? What I can see is bogans driving recklessly in $200 cars and then after they get crushed they just go out and get another one.
Then someone who has poured months of his life and spent most of his cash on his car does a burnout or something and gets his car crushed.

Sorry if this is a repost.

Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #14
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_buckle
Then someone who has poured months of his life and spent most of his cash on his car does a burnout or something and gets his car crushed.
So? Should they be doing burnouts in the first place?

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #15
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Holy faark!

Why don't they just sell the cars??? Government makes money and a lucky guy at an auction gets a cheap car!! Everybody wins!

I have a feeling the value of EA's and VN's are going to go up as people flock to buy cheap cars to race...........
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #16
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
So? Should they be doing burnouts in the first place?
Of course they shouldnt be doing burnouts. My point is that the punishment is a bit harsh and not balanced. Why dont they just raise the fines and if they cant pay sell the cars and put the money back into the country.

Imagine if someone gets carried away and does some thing silly in a genuine GT40 or GTHO?
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #17
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

Its what NSW gets for continuing to vote in the most useless Govt I have ever seen........apparently we are very very slow learners here in NSW.

Im a middle aged car enthusiast with a respectable job and lifestyle, so now if I turn the traction control off at the wrong time and place I could conceiveably have my car crushed. Way to go NSW.

Yet if I go and steal someone elses car I only get a 250 infringment notice? (Sorry that might not be right, I was away during THAT paticular bunch of inept governing)
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #18
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdave351
Its what NSW gets for continuing to vote in the most useless Govt I have ever seen........apparently we are very very slow learners here in NSW.

Im a middle aged car enthusiast with a respectable job and lifestyle, so now if I turn the traction control off at the wrong time and place I could conceiveably have my car crushed. Way to go NSW.

Yet if I go and steal someone elses car I only get a 250 infringment notice? (Sorry that might not be right, I was away during THAT paticular bunch of inept governing)
Nothing to do with who's in power the NSW Liberal policy towards car enthusists are even worse they have been calling for this for a long time as well as lengthy jail terms.

Your right about traction control though i used to think pressing the button turns TC on but apparently it turns it off lol
Old 12-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #19
Scott

Crushing cars is a stupid publicity stunt. I firmly believe that so called "hooning" is a minor contributor to the road toll and accidents in general at best.

If they were serious:

How about crushing the cars of the complacent?
How about crushing the cars of the inept?
How about crushing small pets that sit on the drivers lap?
How about crushing the cars of the elderly who drive into child care centres?
How about crushing the cars of drunk drivers?
How about crushing the cars of mums who speed through school zones?
How about crushing the trucks that wipe out a line of cars?

How about they get off the freakin front page and do some real work.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #20
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Hey if it takes more Commodores off the road, I'm all for it.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If you get caught street racing then I agree, destroy the cars and go hard on the drivers. For something like a simple burnout (which shouldn't be done in the first place...but it happens) then the punishment shouldn't be as harsh as this.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #22
TZENU
XY Driv3r

But a burnout can just as easily knock over a few pedistrians and crash into homes if the driver doesn't 'retain control'

And yes i do agree that it is harsh
Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #23
gtfpv
GT

this is another rediculous example of governments taking all the power and rights off the people .
it is not the cars fault, if the driver breaks the law. and the govt shouldnt ever have the right to steal a car off it's owner . regardless of what the owner does with it .
you can take the owner out of the car . but the car still remains the owners in my books .
wrong call IEMMA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #24
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
But a burnout can just as easily knock over a few pedistrians and crash into homes if the driver doesn't 'retain control'

And yes i do agree that it is harsh
THEN PERHAPS THEY SHOULDNT SELL US HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS . WHICH TERMPT YOU TO DO SO.
dont you think this is where the outcome is heading .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
this is another rediculous example of governments taking all the power and rights off the people .
it is not the cars fault, if the driver breaks the law. and the govt shouldnt ever have the right to steal a car off it's owner . regardless of what the owner does with it .
you can take the owner out of the car . but the car still remains the owners in my books .
wrong call IEMMA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only problem I see there is that you can suspend the persons licence but that might not stop him/her driving the vehicle.

But then you could say that they could get another car with no licence. I guess if you imposed a harsh jail time if caught driving without a licence (under losing your licence from the hoon laws).
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #26
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Who voted for these clowns?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #27
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric GT
Who voted for these clowns?
I voted both the Liberals and labor have Shiite policies for RTA (both support crushing cars)

I guess it's the devil you know........
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #28
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think that the biggest problem will come from the definition of hooning. A display of acceleration is included under the rules, so if i was accelerating a decent rate up to the speed limit it can be included as hooning. If i did this in an immaculate HO, a piece of motoring history is lost, as well as a heap of dollars.
The laws are fairly misguided given that the biggest dropkicks who do massive skids in the middle of the night will just buy junkers, so it does not matter if they are crushed. This also means that they will be driving less roadworthy vehicles the rest of the time - why would they bother to make them safe?
The laws are also unbalanced in that if you drink and drive, or use drugs and drive, or speed there is no equivalent punishment.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something tells me these laws are not there to target Classic Musclecar enthusiasts....

Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #30
Scott

I think it will drive up the stolen cars report.

Example:

Barry scrimps & saves from the time he is 14 to build his VL;
At age 18, Barry has his pride and joy on the road;
At age 18, Barry does a burnout and gets caught;
At age 18, Barry has a little sideways in the wet.... and get's caught;
Barry's car is crushed;
Barry buy's a fixer-uppa VL with the little $$ he has;
Barry buy's all stolen 2nd hand go fast bits for it as he can't afford to buy new ones;\
One car thief is rewarded with $$ for his efforts;
Does Barry know they're stolen? Probably not but hey, they were cheap!!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post