Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 
Thumbs up Apple releases new iPhone model - The iPhone 4

Quote:
We may have seen some grainy images of the new iPhone leaked onto a website earlier than Steve Jobs would have liked but the Apple boss still had plenty of surprises up his sleeve when he officially revealed iPhone 4 today.
The new iPhone 4 features an all-new look and design, an updated operating system and the ability to make video calls.

Jobs took the stage to deliver his keynote address for the WorldWide Developers Conference (WWDC) at the Moscone Centre in San Francisco today for the expected new iPhone reveal.

“Stop me if you’ve seen this before,” Jobs said tongue-in-cheek on stage in reference to the incident which saw an early version of the new iPhone end up lost/stolen in a Redwood City bar and turn up on the Gizmodo tech blog.

Not so co-incidentally, Gizmodo was not invited to today’s keynote.

iPhone 4, which will be available in Australia in July, is just 9.3mm thick – which is 24 per cent thinner than the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S.

In fact, Jobs called the iPhone "the thinnest smartphone in the world" .

iPhone 4 will be available in black or white and in 16GB and 32GB capacities.

“This is our new baby, we hope you love it as much as we do,” Jobs said.

The iPhone 4 is framed with an aluminium band which is designed to not only provide structural strength and more volume to cram in all the technology but it is designed to work as the phone’s antenna as well.

There are two microphones, one for use during calls and the other to assist with noise cancellation for better audio quality while making those calls.

But the real eye-catcher was the 3.5-inch touchscreen which boasts an all-new technology called retina display.

Retina display provides 326 pixels per square inch to deliver a remarkably sharp screen which is greater than the limit of the human retina at 300 pixels.

The screen resolution is 960 x 640 which is four times better than the existing iPhone. Also four times better is the iPhone 4’s 800:1 contrast ratio.

Web pages now render much clearer, as do pictures and video.

Speaking of pictures and video, there is also an upgraded camera on board with 5MP resolution and with a built-in LED flash for low light conditions.

On the video side, the iPhone 4’s new camera can also capture high definition video at 720p at 30 frames per second.

Videos can even be edited in the device with Apple’s new iMovie app built especially for iPhone.

The app takes the smarts of the full-blown application and shrinks it down for use in the iPhone and includes the ability to add titles, transitions and music.

But there is also a front-facing camera which can allow for Apple’s new video calling service called FaceTime.

Users can switch between the front and back camera and also tilt the phone into either landscape or portrait mode.

This will only be possible between iPhone 4 users and, in the US at least, only over Wi-Fi for the time being with Jobs alluding to the fact it will eventually be available across the cellular networks.

In Australia - where the networks have had the ability to make video calls for years - it is unknown if this feature will work on the network as well as Wi-Fi at launch.

Under the hood, Apple has also included its own speedy A4 processor along with a larger battery which can deliver even longer battery life with enough power for 10 hours of video playback and up to 40 per cent more talk time.

Also on-board is a new gyroscope which gives the iPhone the ability to give on-screen objects six-axis motion.

Jobs demonstrated this with the Jenga app, which showed a tower of wooden block which could be rotated at a number of angles.

But it was not all smooth sailing for Jobs on stage with his demonstrations.

During one demo where he tried to show the enhanced screen compared with the regular screen by viewing a website, the over-loaded Wi-Fi network in the room wouldn’t budge.

Knowing he had more demonstrations which would rely on the wireless connection, he even asked attendees to switch off the Wi-Fi connections on their laptops to allow the presentation to continue.

The demos which followed, including the first video call between Jobs and Apple’s industrial design chief Jonny Ive, went without a hitch.

Jobs also announced the iBooks app and the included iBookstore will also be available for the iPhone 4 along with the ability to buy, read and synch the same books to the page you’re up to on an iPhone, iPod Touch or an iPad.

This feature, seen already with the Kindle device and its iPhone and iPad apps, will be another part of Amazon’s territory Apple will be moving in on.

iBooks will now also be able to read PDF format documents along with the epub format books.

Jobs also showcased iAds which are ways for developers to create free and low cost apps that can be embedded into mobile web pages on the iPhone.

Revenues for iAds - which will run in the second half of the year and include some of the world’s biggest brands such as Nissan, BestBuy, Target, Disney, Unilever and AT&T - are already up to more than $US60m.

This represents 40 per cent of the projected mobile display advertising revenue.

The iPhone 4.0 software is now called the iOS4 software because it will now run on the iPhone and the iPad.

The 4.0 operating system will be available to iPhone 3G and 3G S users from June 21 for free.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
ch33z1l
Dawn

Definitely a step up from my 3GS
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

glad my contract is up july 12
Old 08-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

well looks like i'll be getting the GF's 3gs and she'll be getting a white one..
yes guys... i just got told!!! hahaha

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I think my mrs will enjoy my 3GS, I want an iPhone 4!.

I'm by no means a fanboi, but that is seriously so much better than anything else out there.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be upgrading to iPhone4 from my 3G. Probably buy this one outright again as well.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be updating my storm in a year, so hopefully there will be an updated version of this for me to snap up.

I definitely like the new styling
Old 08-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

ohhh
i only just got a 3gs last week. good to see the boss is up to date
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I'll just have to be content with updating to OS4 on my 3GS and wait for their updated version!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But it won't be $199, here, like in America, we will be ripped off again. Exchange rate puts it at $250aus..
"The iPhone 4 will come in two models. A version with 16 gigabytes of storage will cost $US199 and a version with 32 gigabytes of storage will cost $US299. The device will be released in the US, Germany, France, Japan and the UK on June 24."

Last edited by csv8; 08-06-2010 at 02:27 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am I the only person who comes from the day where I only get a phone to make phone calls and send SMS messages?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
Eleanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Am I the only person who comes from the day where I only get a phone to make phone calls and send SMS messages?
I'm there with you but I'm getting mighty tempted by these iPhones .

How much do they cost anyway...? (This will be the knockout blow!)

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
But it won't be $199, here, like in America, we will be ripped off again. Exchange rate puts it at $250aus..
"The iPhone 4 will come in two models. A version with 16 gigabytes of storage will cost $US199 and a version with 32 gigabytes of storage will cost $US299. The device will be released in the US, Germany, France, Japan and the UK on June 24."
If it was $250 I'd buy one. they are selling for 3 times that in Australia.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
If it was $250 I'd buy one. they are selling for 3 times that in Australia.
$250 subsidized by a contract is what it'll be, can't actually buy them outright and unlocked from a carrier in the US like you can here.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

Info to come soon!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I really don't see the benefit over my current iPhone 3G to be honest. Sharper resolution screen, meh. Camera, don't use my phone to take photos. Longer battery life, ok - but not worth upgrading for me since I always have the ability to charge my phone almost anywhere. It will run the same OS as I can on my current phone.

I'll give them kudos that they're not locking current iPhone owners out of OS4.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I really don't see the benefit over my current iPhone 3G to be honest. Sharper resolution screen, meh. Camera, don't use my phone to take photos. Longer battery life, ok - but not worth upgrading for me since I always have the ability to charge my phone almost anywhere. It will run the same OS as I can on my current phone.

Mention of an upgraded aerial suggests better reception, something all iPhone owners would want.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #17
G6T

iphone 4, will it work with our bluetooth my car 9/09.
FPV BF F6 TYPHOON in TOXIC green BUILT ENGINE & MT built ZF, FORCED PERFORMANCE turbo HTA 37r Turbo e85 26psi= 525 rwkw 1162nm its DMENTD . BUILT & TUNED by ( PROFILE AUTOSPORTS ) first time on dyno after run in =
Pacific Ford and FPV Carshow - DMENTD Dyno Run base 22psi on 98 : https://youtu.be/PoONpkk7qJE
G6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #18
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

The huge thing for 3G users looking at upgrading is support for multi tasking, which is only available on 3GS and iPhone4 along with a number of other features which won't be supported by the 3G because it is too slow.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE

Info to come soon!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #19
CFOUR
The Destroyer

my 3g is haggard I'm glad for a proper upgrade.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavL
The huge thing for 3G users looking at upgrading is support for multi tasking, which is only available on 3GS and iPhone4 along with a number of other features which won't be supported by the 3G because it is too slow.
Mine jailbroken supports it now, though not a feature I use often - if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Mention of an upgraded aerial suggests better reception, something all iPhone owners would want.
Sure, though don't have too many problems with my phone now - apart from data dropping out which is more of an issue of Optus's crappy network than reception.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I'm by no means a fanboi, but that is seriously so much better than anything else out there.

then youve never heard of the HTC desire.

been doing all jobs can offer (bar video calling... didnt that die like 5 years ago?) and more for months.

faultless phone so far, and only cost me 600 outright.

5mp camera, 1ghz snapdragon processor running on open source (no apple nazi-ism here) android. has full flash support, the works.
AUIIPURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #22
CFOUR
The Destroyer

i hope ford is on the ball and has 4.0 support ready for fg 2.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #23
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Interesting. My Ihpone is off contract in July, So I will see what the plans are before deciding to upgrade or to wait for some better plans.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #24
Paxton
Cobblers!

My 3G is about stuffed. I'll be upgrading.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I find the 3G IPhone is useless on the Optus network, any improvement in reception is very much a good thing....

Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #26
JazManXII
Starter Motor

does anyone find that anyone who has an iphone is always "just holding onto it until the next one comes out"
JazManXII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #27
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazManXII
does anyone find that anyone who has an iphone is always "just holding onto it until the next one comes out"
yes and so would i
why get the old model when you can wait a month and get a new updated model.
thats what i did whe the fg came out
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #28
LUXO_8
windsor user

ill be upgrading in a few months time when my contract is up. my iphone has been great but the screen has a fair few scratches now and 8gb storage is nowhere near enough (remember when 1gb was heaps?.....lol!!)

i too look forward to better reception!..i often find it will have none in my house!!
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #29
JazManXII
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
yes and so would i
why get the old model when you can wait a month and get a new updated model.
thats what i did whe the fg came out

i dont think you get my point
JazManXII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #30
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazManXII
i dont think you get my point
i do, you're trying to say they're an accessory that people always have to get the latest thing.
and why not if they can afford it?

i cant which is why i didnt go for the 3gs when it came out, but ill definantly be keen for the new one...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post