Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

Default Fog / Driving Lights and the Cops

i got booked the other day by the NSW cops for having the fog / driving lights on in my BA.

Can anyone tell me what the rules are regarding using these lights? Are they just for special condition like rain or fog in NSW.

I have a few mates the have joined the cops. i get conflicting answers for them about it. Some say if they are factory fitted they can only be on when driving thru fog, but if aftermarket you can have them on at any time.

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

Each state has different laws.

In Vic they are illegal as they 'dazzle' oncoming drivers. But even Vic cops use them!

i guess it's one of those laws that are used when they want to get you on something and can't find anything else!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
InitialD
Low and Loud

Yes Ive tried to find out many times about what you can have here in VIC.

I agree with LTDHO, its one of those things they use to hassle you when they cant think/Find anything else.

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
i guess it's one of those laws that are used when they want to get you on something and can't find anything else!
yeah i agree.

if they r OE they should b allowed to b used whenever and if u get fined should take it up with the manufacturer although u prolly wouldnt get anywhere.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Haha, that does not surprise me one bit. The HWP in Wagga really hate these things, there is one guy in particular, big fat bugger who takes great pride in lining his leather hat up in the reflection of his cars door before he comes to speak to you. By the time he's at your window you cant help but be in tears of laughter from it.

The answer i have been given from the Police prosecutor here (so i tend to believe her a bit more than the regular HWP guys) is that they're illegal to use except in conditions of rain and fog. I'll admit i do use them on my Focus whenever i drive at night, but only when im out of town.

Basically you run the risk of copping an $88 (i think?) fine for them if you use them in town other than when its raining or foggy, cos thats pretty much what they're for. I see numerous cars downtown with them on when they're doing the main of a Friday night and they dont seem to get caught, although after being done for them about 3 times myself, im not game to run the risk anymore.
Old 20-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW cops seem to be a lot harder on people for using them than the vic cops though...

but im sure bracksie will cotton onto that being a good source of funding and they will be booking folk everywhere you look :
Old 20-04-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford2001
NSW cops seem to be a lot harder on people for using them than the vic cops though...

but im sure bracksie will cotton onto that being a good source of funding and they will be booking folk everywhere you look :
Definately, im surprised they dont. Its $about 88 a pop here, not fun. The only upside is that you dont lose any points.
Old 20-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
BA Bakes

At the time i got done, i was driving round with my younger bro and got the impression he seem to young guys in a nice car and thought "let find something to book this guy with". I don't find that the BA fog light aren't really a problem to on coming traffic unlike some of the 4WD floating around that near blind you.

To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
Old 20-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine come on with my headlights :
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Bakes
At the time i got done, i was driving round with my younger bro and got the impression he seem to young guys in a nice car and thought "let find something to book this guy with". I don't find that the BA fog light aren't really a problem to on coming traffic unlike some of the 4WD floating around that near blind you.
Yeah thats true, theyre nowhere near as bad as SS/Calais lights (those bastards change colour!), and it probably was a case of what you said. Unfortunately thats how some of them are.

Stevo, usually the way aftermarket ones are wired up is that they come on with the high beams. In my old EF i had mine on a seperate switch so i could turn em on whenever i wanted, and i couldnt pass RWC with them like that so i just hid the switch in the dash lol.

Last edited by b2tf; 20-04-2005 at 02:36 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 02:36 PM   #11
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Yeah well this is why my foggies and spotties have been in storage for nearly 10 years as I have never gotten a clear answer.

Can I attach the spotties to the high beam switch, so they only come on then? We get awful fog up here to the extent (like the other night) where you can't see past your friggin bonnet. Am I allowed to use my foggies then?

I can't get a straight answer. These are aftermarket ones, just fyi.

Any cops on the forums who are willing to stand up and answer these questions???

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Yeah well this is why my foggies and spotties have been in storage for nearly 10 years as I have never gotten a clear answer.

Can I attach the spotties to the high beam switch, so they only come on then? We get awful fog up here to the extent (like the other night) where you can't see past your friggin bonnet. Am I allowed to use my foggies then?

I can't get a straight answer. These are aftermarket ones, just fyi.

Any cops on the forums who are willing to stand up and answer these questions???
Bindi,

dont take my word as being 100% correct, but from my understanding there is no problem with that setup (spotties on with your highbeams). As long as you can dim them with the highbeams for oncoming traffic (which is what happens if you wire them in right), you've got no worries.

And with the foggies - yes that is right, foggies are for fog so by all means use them then.
Old 20-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #13
Danny
GT4.

Hmmm. Thanks for this thread.
Since i got the Tec' I pretty much been usin the driving lights all the time because i love the look of them. I know mum and dad (who both have XR's) use them at night and such. So far no bookings but i spose its a pretty high risk if we're drivin with them all the time and theyre illegal!

good to hear the straight answer ;)

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #14
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

All the answers I get when I've asked are they can only be used in "cases of low visibility, such as fog or rain". My argument is that all low light situations are "cases of low visibility". I always use them with the parkers because my XR's mercury silver colour. I usually forget to turn them off after though....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #15
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For Victoria anyway:

You're allowed to use your front fog/driving lights any time of the day. However, rear fog lamps can only be used in the appropriate conditions.

Quote:
Q: When can I use the fog lamps on my car?

A: There is no restriction on the use of front fog lamps. However, the lamps must be correctly aimed as fog lamps so as not to dazzle other road users. Rear fog lamps may only be lit in abnormal weather conditions.

Q: Driving Lights - How many headlamps can I have?

A: A maximum of six main-beam headlamps are allowed. The lamps must be wired so when the dip switch is operated no more than two lamps, showing dipped beams, can be left alight
Taken from vicroads
Old 20-04-2005, 02:47 PM   #16
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #17
One Drone
Lane HO

I am one who actually hates them on, regardless if it's a Ford or Holden. They are unecessary and are only for aesthetics. That, and the VZ and BA headlights are bloody bright as it is, way better than my NL headlights.. In the rain, foglights are even worse as the light gets reflected off the shimmering road into oncoming drivers eyes.

I say a job well done to officers. Of course, that isn't saying I don't like what I don't have..
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #18
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is more specific law regarding them. I have posted the law on another website, I will track it down and re-post if for you. That is for SA, VIC, NSW & QLD.

All is not as simple as it seems.

Give me some time, as time is a bit short at the moment.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 05:17 PM   #19
BA Bakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Drone
I am one who actually hates them on, regardless if it's a Ford or Holden. They are unecessary and are only for aesthetics. That, and the VZ and BA headlights are bloody bright as it is, way better than my NL headlights.. In the rain, foglights are even worse as the light gets reflected off the shimmering road into oncoming drivers eyes.

I say a job well done to officers. Of course, that isn't saying I don't like what I don't have..
They are unnessecary at times, especially when driving in cities.

However, people who living in the country, such as myself and b2tf and others find them very helpful driving along a pitch black road with no street lights. They also help spotting skippings as they cast a fair amount of light to the sides as well.

Personally, if there aimed correctly i can't see any problems with them. Its just another way of the police revenue raising.

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
[/SIZE]
Old 20-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

I notice that due to the shape of the headlights on the Focus, its very hard to light up the road directly in front of the car with just the headlights, hence why i used my foglights.

And yes, ive had numerous runins with Skippy on the way out to the GF's place - the more i can do to light up the road and the side of it, the better. And using the foggies as well as highbeam is all i can do short of putting spotties on, which is not going to happen for obvious reasons.
Old 20-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #21
Aussie Pete

Well face it, if you drive with them on you're pretty much an inconsiderate w@nker who doen't give a damn about other people. Especially if you have those unshrouded ones Holden seems to be able to fit to their cars.

I will return the favour forever by giving you a dose of blinding lights in return.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #22
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
For Victoria anyway:

You're allowed to use your front fog/driving lights any time of the day. However, rear fog lamps can only be used in the appropriate conditions.

Taken from vicroads
Well there you go,so fog lights are legal to use in Victoria.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #23
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I've never had a problem with the BA lights, but the Holden ones are shite.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #24
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And to add further to the confusion here is the link to Australian Road Rules: Liughts & Warning Devices

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...nloads/p13.pdf

These are, as I understand, the definative rules, staes will interpret as required.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
Well face it, if you drive with them on you're pretty much an inconsiderate w@nker who doen't give a damn about other people. Especially if you have those unshrouded ones Holden seems to be able to fit to their cars.

I will return the favour forever by giving you a dose of blinding lights in return.
All i will say to that is that youre quite entitled to your opinion, but try driving some of the roads i do and you'll see why i use them.
Old 20-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #26
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
I've never had a problem with the BA lights, but the Holden ones are shite.
I agree with this comment. The BA ones seem fine to me. I havent been blinded by a single one but those bloody Holden driving lights suck **** and have for quiet a few years now.
One of the brightest standard headlights around has to be a standard AU. Have you ever noticed when a car is comming toward you and it looks like there high beam is on that nine times out of ten it is a bloody au falcon.

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT