Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 
Default SBS: Insight "Aussies and their cars"

Hello, just thought I'd give the heads up that the SBS current affairs / debate television show "Insight" is having an episode on Aussies and the passions for their cars.

Tuesday 1st April, 7:30 PM SBS.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
SubJimbo
Car Newbie

Awesome, Thanks for letting us know mate!
SubJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
amisupposed2b

Might catch it.

Hopefully its not a show just point out "Hoons".
amisupposed2b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

http://news.sbs.com.au/insight//car_lovers_543635

Looks like some more hippie junk ie. Holden and Ford build monstrositys that harm cute little bunnies and that we should all be driving Toyota Priuses.

Will most likely ignore that vehicle emissions make up less than 5% and that more pollution is caused by the yuppies watching this at home in their two story home with plasma television and expresso machine than the poor bogan who lives in a housing commision flat with his VN SS.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Thanks for the heads up. I will have a looksee at this one. SBS are normally pretty good, information wise.
Old 31-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

This might be alright, there was a program on SBS a while back called what would jesus drive?, was about americans and there love for big gas guzzlers!
Old 31-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Will most likely ignore that vehicle emissions make up less than 5% and that more pollution is caused by the yuppies watching this at home in their two story home with plasma television and expresso machine than the poor bogan who lives in a housing commision flat with his VN SS.
lol sad but true...
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
http://news.sbs.com.au/insight//car_lovers_543635

Looks like some more hippie junk ie. Holden and Ford build monstrositys that harm cute little bunnies and that we should all be driving Toyota Priuses.

Jeremy Clarkson was having a little light hearted rant on SBS' episode of Top Gear "classic" on Saturday. Pointing out that cars make up a small percentage of air pollution and that most man made pollution is from creating energy. Made a funny (but probably not factual) point that the people charging up their electric cars at home are causing most of the pollution.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Jeremy Clarkson was having a little light hearted rant on SBS' episode of Top Gear "classic" on Saturday. Pointing out that cars make up a small percentage of air pollution and that most man made pollution is from creating energy. Made a funny (but probably not factual) point that the people charging up their electric cars at home are causing most of the pollution.

If Clarkson said it, then its true!

Hey it worked for Jesus...and they do have the same initials..........coincidence?? I think not!!!
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 AM   #10
IDT
Marko

Everytime I get sucked in to watching insight its all about "lets find a victim" then ends with lets all agree there is no easy answer. I bet my left one that she does her normal thing. Lets ask a victim a leading question (in this case some phsyco greenie) then turn to a manufacturer or oil merchant and say "how do you respond to these sort of claims?" If its an educated response they will be cut off.

Bet my left one on it
Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #11
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow! That guy with the Ferrari and 2 Pri-ii; what an insufferable knob!
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does this woman know how to let someone finish what they are saying? Far out she is always cutting people off! She doesn't seem so sharp, does she even know what is being discussed? :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #13
Hino83
Starter Motor

vanessa amorosi is looking alright.

yeah off topic a bit, lol
Hino83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They raise a good point about car dependancy. I know myself it would be very hard getting around on Melbourne's "world class" public transport system without a car.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Too busy watching Moment of Truth...am flicking between both! Am taping the SBS thing so will watch it later.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #16
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course, you have the token Green MP essentially wanting to ban V8's. Pfft.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #17
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The greens MP immediately made me think of Ghostbusters.....
Yes, its True, this man has no dick.....

Regards,
Tote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #18
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the end of the day Holden/Ford/Toyota are running a business. If the Government imposes restrictions that will have a negative impact to the extent that it does not make it viable to build cars in Australia, they will pack up and head home, justifiably so.

It's not these companies holding the Government to ransom, it's simple Year 11 Business Management. That guy was a bloody idiot.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #19
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should be watching ch 31 instead
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #20
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want my hour back.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #21
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Does this woman know how to let someone finish what they are saying? Far out she is always cutting people off! She doesn't seem so sharp, does she even know what is being discussed? :
Tell me about it. That woman is incredibly annoying and not to mention stupid - it would seem she did not listen to a single thing that was said. And what about that guy who got rid of his 4x4 to get something "more economical" they didn't seem to mention anything about his car having a 6L V8 under the bonnet. Not to mention he seemed to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

So, in summary that show was a waste of my time to watch and that presenter seems to lack the ability to LISTEN to what has been said to her by anyone bar that american guy.

It would be interesting to find out what she drives.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #22
fordfreak2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
Tell me about it. That woman is incredibly annoying and not to mention stupid - it would seem she did not listen to a single thing that was said. And what about that guy who got rid of his 4x4 to get something "more economical" they didn't seem to mention anything about his car having a 6L V8 under the bonnet. Not to mention he seemed to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

So, in summary that show was a waste of my time to watch and that presenter seems to lack the ability to LISTEN to what has been said to her by anyone bar that american guy.

It would be interesting to find out what she drives.
Yeah i watch it , & thought why isn't a ford , nissan & mitsi & VW people there to give there point of view, the holden guy virtually said nothing, but the toyota guy said plenty & explained as good as he could, the only problem with the show is that it would take 5 hours to hear everybody gripes& suggestions she does good with the little time she has, & i would say the disscusion would still be raging on there web site, but you must admit that those stastictics in people dying , is not good for us, & it was also interesting to hear that DIESEL is not that good for us, but everybody seems to want to get on the bandwagon & promote it? Looks like hybrids are the future & ultimately electric power is the answer?
fordfreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #23
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak2
Looks like hybrids are the future & ultimately electric power is the answer?
Perhaps but the problem is that in the present time the manufacture and ultimately disposal of the batteries as fitted to the Prius makes its environmental impact worse than that of the guys Testarossa (I'm talking manufacture and disposal, not emissions).
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 02:14 AM   #24
IDT
Marko

So whats on next week that show rocks : : :
Old 02-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #25
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
So whats on next week that show rocks : : :
Very true!

I actually found myself agreeing with the Holden bloke believe it or not. Did you see the look on the Holden blokes face when the dumb presenter said that Toyota makes alternative fuel cars but GM doesn't.

The Holden bloke was absolutely right. We have had LPG vehicles on the market for years which are only slightly more expensive than the petrol models and offer really good fuel savings (our work LPG Falcons get 800+ kays a tank) yet the takeup for LPG vehicles is small.

The two Priuses guy was an unbelievable nob. Probably the same idiot who caused a traffic jam over Easter near Byron by doing 40 up the mountains. Every time I have encountered a Prius on the road it has been a frustrating experience!

The Greens MP had me the most concerned with his proposal to FORCE people to buy smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles aka CAFE Australia style.

Overall a stupid program!
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #26
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
The greens MP immediately made me think of Ghostbusters.....
Yes, its True, this man has no dick.....

Regards,
Tote
I love that scen in Ghostbusters. It always makes me laugh. Bill Murray's delivery is priceless
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #27
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although I didnt mind the show, you just cant belive everything you watch. The media love their scare tactics.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #28
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I only caught the last 20 mins unfortunately. One hour is simply too short to cover everything and from what I saw, it was a bit of a mess. We need to have a two hour live debate one night on 7 or 9 perhaps.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #29
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would car makers make more efficient cars such as hybrid if it's not financially viable and especially when there's no government directive to do so at the present? They meet current emission laws as is :

No point making it if you're not going to get a return and no one is going to buy it? :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #30
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Too busy watching Moment of Truth...am flicking between both! Am taping the SBS thing so will watch it later.
lol ditto; i can't believe she threw away her whole life for $100,000 and then had the gall to believe she was a good person. Then again i guess she threw it all away long before the show...