Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
Zero_PSI
Banned

Default American Hot Rod

Does anybody watch it?

Just realised it on 7mate on sundays. Pretty good to watch all these builds go together properly...missed the ending of the junkyard chevy so I never saw the finished product.

Beats the hell out of monster garage.

Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
DA68ZA

Default Re: American Hot Rod

Its on saturday & sunday 3pm ...
DA68ZA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

Good show, junkyard chev looked and sounded awesome.
dags41v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's a good example of how NOT to treat your valued staff. boyd had serious staff turn over because of his shops poor standards (eg lack of flexibility, hours, pressure, etc). He expects them to work over time and weekends, but throws a hissy fit when some of them aren't there at 8:30 on the dot.

Dwayne, the shop manager is now on West Coast Customs' show.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After watching this show I know unequivocally , without any shadow of a doubt the absolute last place on earth I would go to to get a hot rod built . Dwayne is nothing but a bombastic ignorant oxygen thief , Boyds ex is the dragon lady from hell and Boyd used to live in a world of his own in his little ivory tower which he barely lowered himself to leave . The few good guys they do have they treat like crap . This show is a prime example of how NOT to run a business . It is to cars what Orange County Choppers is to bikes ( The last place on Earth you would go to get anything built ). Boyd Coddington is now dead I believe , dont know if the shop is still going or not .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

guys, dont get so worked up its light entertainment, and well 5+ year old light entertainment at that.

Yea Boyd has passed away,

as for the show being a ture and acurate dipiction of the shop I dont know (god I hope not)

I do know that on the one time I med Boyd back at the 2002 or whatever ASRF Nationals, he was a genuine and fair dinkum sort of guy that genuinly seemed to take and interest in what I was saying and every one I know that spoke woth him that easter says the same

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

i watch it for the laughs, and to learn a few things on painting..
Old 28-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I watched a fair few of the shows. Dwayne irritated me no end.

I recall a build where they got in a new fabricator - a smoking hot girl that Boyd's wife was insanely jealous of. She forced Boyd to fire her after a couple of weeks even though the guys in the shop were impressed with her work and the speed that she learned.

The stuff that shop put out always impressed me but it was never done in harmony. Would have been a nightmare working in that shop. Always wonder how much the guys in these reality workshops are paid to show their misery on camera.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The only thing that surprised me for a high quality shop was the amount of filler the bodyshop jammed on a car which looked remarkably straight to begin with. Like everyone else, I got sick of negative attitude towards the staff. Roy was the best of lot. And there was definately something going on between Charlie and Boyds wife, She seemed to take his departure to heart really badly.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Found this interesting overview:

American Hot Rod was a reality television program that followed legendary hot rod builder Boyd Coddington and his crew as they restored classic cars and built custom hot rods to very specific and often times maddening specifications. The series followed the team through the trials of restoring these very special cars. Every detail was captured including the drama and strife that occurs among the team members. The cars that they have built are masterpieces so good that 7 times they have won the prestigious Americas Most Beautiful Roadster Award and six of those times were consecutive.
Behind the scenes the shop has an entirely different attitude. Boyd and his wife worked with numerous charity organizations among them the Elwyn Foundation with whom they worked to hire mentally challenged adults to work in the shop. Even when in a hurry Boyd would stop to let admirers and their children get photographs take with him. Boyd had just begun filming a new series called Boyd Coddington’s Garage that featured discussions on technical issues involved with all the work needed to do the modifications on such cars.

American Hot Rod Garage
The American Hot Rod series ran five seasons and was cut short when its star Boyd Coddington who had suffered from diabetes for several years died of complications from a recent surgery. Coddington succumbed to the complications caused by his situation at a Southern California hospital on February 27, 2008.

The Boyd Coddington Garage where American Hot Rod was filmed ended operation and closed its doors on June 20, 2008. His wife Jo continues to operate the wheel shop which has moved to Anaheim but still is overseen by employees dedicated to quality and two of the former employees continue to do the same work the garage did at shops they operate.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I caught an episode of this show a couple of weeks ago and I keep on forgetting that it is on - another one along the same lines is Wrecks to Riches:

http://turbo.discovery.com/wrecks-to...to-riches.html

some of the builds Barry does are simply stuning.

My Gallery Photos Here

Last edited by XR6WGN; 28-03-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Didn't like my first post - changed it!
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Sheesh these shows have been repeated 10 times now...
Dwayne wasn't that popular at W/C either...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Yeah, Dwayne only lasted at WCC a few episodes and then he chucked one of his tanties and left. The German fabricator (forget his name) also went to WCC and left.

I'm watching WCC - Street Customs and the Berlin version too and enjoy it much better than AHR. Ryan seems like a reasonable man and self made too.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
EFJay

Charlie is a top paint and panel guy and there was another guy on the show that was great, i think his name was bert or bernt ?
EFJay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I watch it every now and then on Foxtel. It's on Discovery channel every day I think. That along with OCC, Street Customs, Monster Garage etc.

Good for some entertainment.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
mad-xa

new one called KIT a auto body experience really cool stuff turning standard cars into kit cars mixture of everything and instead of throwing the car bits out they use everything,,,,,
mad-xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
The German fabricator (forget his name) also went to WCC and left.
Burnt?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #18
EFJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Burnt?

Wasnt he sweedish or something?
Old 28-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #19
NAFairlane

one great thing about that workshop is that they get alot of their early ford bodies from a joint down in Ferntree Gully, VIC. Said to be the best remake's in the world.
NAFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post