Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default QPS to trial different police cars across Queensland in 2016

"QPS to trial different police cars across Queensland in 2016
QPS Media on Feb 26, 2016 @ 11:41am

Queenslanders can expect to see different police cars across the state this year as part of a trial of new fleet vehicles.

Traditionally, the Queensland Police Service has sourced most of its vehicles from the Australian automotive industry, but with this avenue now closed, the QPS is undertaking an extensive trialling period to source new vehicles from different manufacturers.

These vehicles will be both fit for purpose and value for money.

A range of trial vehicles will be used by local Road Policing Units throughout the state and will provide high-visibility policing to their respective areas.

Road Policing Command Assistant Commissioner Mike Keating said the trial was an important evaluation process to ensure potential fleet vehicles met the diverse range of policing needs.

“Our officers serve the people of Queensland – from remote, isolated rural locations, to coastal towns and urban areas – and the requirements and needs of our entire fleet are reflective of this,” Assistant Commissioner Keating said.

“We may trial vehicles from a number of different manufacturers during this process. We are committed to finding vehicles that are the most appropriate for our purposes and needs, as well as reflecting value for money.

“Depending upon our requirements these vehicles may come from a number of different manufacturers. The public can be assured that even the vehicles sourced from higher-end manufacturers are cost effective.”

The QPS will undertake a rigorous assessment and evaluation of all trial vehicles before any decisions are made."
https://www.facebook.com/QueenslandPolice/?fref=ts
My comment : "Traditionally, the Queensland Police Service has sourced most of its vehicles from the Australian automotive industry, but with this avenue now closed, the QPS is undertaking an extensive trialling period to source new vehicles from different manufacturers." Does this mean Ford and Holden arent taking orders ,anymore ?

Last edited by csv8; 28-02-2016 at 03:09 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QPS to trial different police cars across Queensland in 2016

Interesting choice..Volvo..polestar by the look of those brakes...mmmm
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
Sioso
irregular member

Polestar would be a good choice, turbo straight 6 with AWD, pretty versatile and safe vehicle - wonder what price they could get them for?
You wouldn't pay rrp for them go check out the 2nd hand prices on carsales compared to new ones.
Might be some even cheaper ex-chasers getting around in a few years.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I was talking to a mate who is Vic Pol HWP, he believes they'll have Volvo's down here too.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #5
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Nothing wrong with a biscuit
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #6
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

“Depending upon our requirements these vehicles may come from a number of different manufacturers. The public can be assured that even the vehicles sourced from higher-end manufacturers are cost effective.”

911 GT3 RS for highway patrol. I'd be signing up to the force tomorrow. Then again they can't chase anyone anymore so they'll probably get a Chinese Chery.....more than capable for today's weak as **** laws

......and I feel sorry for our police who have to put up with the garbage laws while putting their lives on the line - anyway getting off track. The volvos would be alright��
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post

911 GT3 RS for highway patrol. I'd be signing up to the force tomorrow. Then again they can't chase anyone anymore so they'll probably get a Chinese Chery.....more than capable for today's weak as **** laws

......and I feel sorry for our police who have to put up with the garbage laws while putting their lives on the line - anyway getting off track. The volvos would be alright��
Yep u said it
Old 26-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I saw a fully marked Hyundai Sonata the other day. I've seen unmarked i40's on a few occasions.
Old 26-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #9
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post

Cops aren't allowed to chase anymore? Pretty sure I witnessed firsthand 3 pursuits in the last month. A 335 GT out in the country with a persistent officer hopelessly trying to tail it in a Landcruiser, a WRX doing excess of 160 with a marked VF SS patrol car following behind with no emergency lights, and a divvy Van going the wrong way down the road trying to pursue a dirt bike rider with no helmet. Do police actually face penalties for non - compliance with no-pursuit rules or is it just a gentle mans agreement ? They should just cut the crap and allow pursuits anyway.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #10
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Cops aren't allowed to chase anymore? Pretty sure I witnessed firsthand 3 pursuits in the last month. A 335 GT out in the country with a persistent officer hopelessly trying to tail it in a Landcruiser, a WRX doing excess of 160 with a marked VF SS patrol car following behind with no emergency lights, and a divvy Van going the wrong way down the road trying to pursue a dirt bike rider with no helmet. Do police actually face penalties for non - compliance with no-pursuit rules or is it just a gentle mans agreement ? They should just cut the crap and allow pursuits anyway.
Dont know where it says police cant persue, but there is alot of reasons why they dont or ordered to cease.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think BMW might be a chance too.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #12
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Astin Martin too
Old 26-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the Polestar is a car that comes close to the same levels of practicality and performance when compared to the Falcon or Commodore.

The only problem is the price, but if they can remove enough standard equipment and buy in enough volume for Volvo to even consider, it might be worth doing.

Also the WRX is more practical than it used to be, still quick enough, and cheap but apparently the standard brakes are not up to some standards. If they can get Brembos fitted as an option it could be a contender.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #14
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should really just stick to cheaper cars like a Sonata Turbos or things like that. Otherwise they should of put the extra money in keeping local factories going
Old 26-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #15
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
They should really just stick to cheaper cars like a Sonata Turbos or things like that. Otherwise they should of put the extra money in keeping local factories going
Kia Optima GT would make a good HWP car. They even come with a 7 year unlimited km warranty, would work wonders for resale and saving our hard earned tax dollars. Roomy enough , economical , not too bad looking. Or they could get a High Undies Genesis if RWD is a necessity
Old 26-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #16
cycle myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
I was talking to a mate who is Vic Pol HWP, he believes they'll have Volvo's down here too.
Look like NSW will show up the mexicans again then...
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 11:26 PM   #17
Morry

Out on public roads in all weather conditions I reckon that the Volvo would have the performance edge over the falcon and commodore without any dramas. It's just the cost factor that will hurt.
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #18
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

How much are they
Old 26-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
How much are they
Polestar sedan is 100k and the wagon is 102k, they would get them cheaper than that though.

SS Commodore fleet price is in the high 30s.

All the level of governments and large fleet buyers (Telstra etc) should just buy the Commodore factory and keeping pumping them out for fleet use. No expensive dealership network, no advertising. Similar to what the US Postal service did a while back with a vehicle supplier.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #20
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Polestar sedan is 100k and the wagon is 102k, they would get them cheaper than that though.

All the level of governments and large fleet buyers (Telstra etc) should just buy the Commodore factory and keeping pumping them out for fleet use. No expensive dealership network, no advertising. Similar to what the US Postal service did a while back with a vehicle supplier.
Buy the Commodore or Falcon factory, fill it with prisoner workforce, win-win..
Old 27-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #21
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:

Didnt know about the US post, but thinking about it their vans all look the same and nothing like a van i have ever seen
Old 27-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #22
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

All these suggestions for the Volvo S60 Polestar seem misguided. The current model with the Turbo inline 6 is just about to be axed. So even evaluating seems pointless. Its also TOO EXPENSIVE for a Police car.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #23
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
I reckon they will stick with the Hyundai's. Plenty of marked Sante Fe's around as well as unmarked i40's. I haven't seen another marked or unmarked Sonata since the other day but I reckon I will see more of them.
Old 29-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #24
AussieCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
All these suggestions for the Volvo S60 Polestar seem misguided. The current model with the Turbo inline 6 is just about to be axed. So even evaluating seems pointless. Its also TOO EXPENSIVE for a Police car.

Given the rate they turn them over these days and the leasing programs they use the purchase price is kind of irrelevant, the cost to consider is how easy or hard to integrate the required gear and the rate of depreciation, after all the cost is only the difference between purchase and sale price
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #25
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

QLD police aren't all that fussy about what they use. In my area they have an unmarked Prado and an unmarked Nissan Patrol GU, and on the Bruce south of Caloundra I once saw a dual cab Hilux complete with builders trailer - it had pulled up a car.

And they do indeed pursue... the Sunshine Coast police have just taken delivery of a brown with gold trim Suzuki Hayabusa, and on Friday I saw it engaged in a pursuit at Doonan, south west of Noosa. He was up it for the rent too.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #26
Morry

They must have had budget cuts if they have had to purchase a crappy hayabusa lol. If they wanted a decent bike the would of got a ZX14.
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post