Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Default Driving a manual?

My EL XR6 is my first manual car (ever)! And I am just wondering as I have no experience with manual cars what is normal clutchwise and speed/revs wise in normal driving. As I drive it I change gears at 2750-3000 revs and cruise at anything between 2,000 and 2,6000 revs. As an example when driving down the street I will go first to 3,000, change to second to 2,500-2,750, to third to cruise at 50kmhr! will go from third to fourth after 80kmhr and will use fifth at anything over 110kmhr. Just wondering what are normal cruising and changing revs/gears as i always have doubts, most specifically when a mate who has a VX Commy Manual that said I need a new clutch and different diff gears! My clutch is a real beeeaaatch to push in as u feel as though it is all the way in but theres always a hard spot at the end! Just really would like to know the norm when driving a performance manual!

EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That sounds about right mate.

I change gears at about 2500-3000rpm aswell.

Usually I'm in 3rd at 50, but can be in 2nd sometimes.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Lately ive tried 50kmhr in second but it sounds like its revving its tits off, so i always go to third!!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I probably shouldn't do it either. lol

My box feels crap. It's a c*** of a thing, to changes gears sometimes.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont use gears to slow down (unless its an emergency) Gears are for going, not slowing.
Dont sit at the lights with the clutch pedal depressed for extended periods.

Your car should happily motor along at 50-60kmh in 4th, 70-80 in 5th.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #6
Dezza
Parts bin special

I don't usually tend to even look at the tacho when I change gears. I just change when the revs sound high enough. Of course it's harder when I have the windows down and I have a truck beside me. Then I change at about 3000 rpm as well. At 50, I'm usually in 3rd. At 60, I'll usually go 4th, and at around 80, I'll grab 5th.

I know the Falcon clutches are quite heavy, and mine does have to go right in to get smooth gearchanges. I was back at my parent's last weekend so I had a look at the clutch in my parent's EBII and found it interesting how it feels more like an On/Off switch than mine, which feels more linear and controlled. The EBII is a factory manual though, while my EAII has been converted.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If you want better economy though ... I'd change into 5th a bit earlier ... saves your hip pocket when coming time to fill up.

I learnt manual on a vehicle without a tacho ... so i just went on the sound of the vehicle and what felt right. I mainly picked it up after watching both parents drive all of the time and getting used to their shift points.

Time and practice and you will get better and reaslise what is best to suit your driving style.

I wish i had a manual again ... first 10 years of driving was in manual vehicles only ... now the last 2 years have been auto only. I want a manual toy again.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Dont use gears to slow down (unless its an emergency) Gears are for going, not slowing.
Id disagree strongly with that statment.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
D
I've been driving trucks the wrong way for the past 25years then.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #10
Rob
Living the dream

The VN has no tacho :the_finge

1st - 0 - 15kph
2nd - 15 - 35kph
3rd - 35 - 55kph
4th - 55 - 70kph
5th - 70kph - ....
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I learnt manual on a vehicle without a tacho ... so i just went on the sound of the vehicle and what felt right.
Same with me. The EBII I mentioned is a GLi so it has the povo dash, with the missing tacho. The Ghia does have a tacho, but I usually ignore it.

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
Old 30-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Gearing down is fine ... nothing wrong with it at all ...if you do it properly and not over-rev and back down too early. ... also saves your brakes too.

On a steep downhill ... i'd prefer to use lower gears to slow myself down ... rather than overcook my brakes by riding them.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Usually cruise at 60 in 5th. Gunning it I'd be pretty close to 100 in 2nd although haven't really noticed so can't say with certainty.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #14
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you want better economy though ... I'd change into 5th a bit earlier ... saves your hip pocket when coming time to fill up.

I learnt manual on a vehicle without a tacho ... so i just went on the sound of the vehicle and what felt right. I mainly picked it up after watching both parents drive all of the time and getting used to their shift points.

Time and practice and you will get better and reaslise what is best to suit your driving style.

I wish i had a manual again ... first 10 years of driving was in manual vehicles only ... now the last 2 years have been auto only. I want a manual toy again.
That's the way I learnt too.

The old 4 speed manual Corty didn't have a tacho, nor does my VL (Now has a aftermarket one), so I could only go on sound.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
Same with me. The EBII I mentioned is a GLi so it has the povo dash, with the missing tacho. The Ghia does have a tacho, but I usually ignore it.
I don't even look at the tacho anymore ... seeing as it is auto ... hee hee.
My last manual car I had ... the tacho came in handy ... especially when changing up just before the rev-limiter.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #16
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

i just go by the sound of the engine aswell

i use 2 upto 40km/h
3 upto about 50-60
4th from 60-80
and 5th for anything above 80

but my car could have different ratios (being a vx commodore) that change the times that i shift at compared to ford gearboxes

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #17
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
My last manual car I had ... the tacho came in handy ... especially when changing up just before the rev-limiter.
That is the main time that I do use the tacho, but for cruising, I just go by sound

Old 30-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bit hard for me not to look at the tacho. It's the biggest gauge right in front of me. Good for the track but not so friendly for the streets.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
Ahahahahaha ... awwww c'mon ... using the emergency sand traps are fun on steep hills.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use my brakes and gears to slow down. It's called engine braking.

Speaking of slowing down how bout the heel-toer's out there. Do you heel and toe with the brake and accelerator or the clutch and brake?

I use brake and and accelerator, too hard for me to do it the other way.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Took me a while to get used to it ... I used to use brake and accelerator in "extreme" cases where I wanted to match revs on back-changing while still braking firmly.

Then I'd have my toes firm on the brake pedal and blip the accelerator with my heels.

But it was rare for me to do it.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #22
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
Truck are obviously different._

Brakes are cheaper than clutches and gearboxes.
Might also explain why my XR6 has had the same clutch since I bought it 5 years ago!
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Then I'd have my toes firm on the brake pedal and blip the accelerator with my heels.
Lol I can't remember if I do it with toe on brake or toe on accelerator. But it's one of the two. I've only started to do it but I seem to be matching the revs pretty good. Only about 100 or 200 rpm off.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #24
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Might also explain my my XR6 has had the same clutch for 5 years!

I dont think it matters if its a truck or car - as Mitchay said its called engine braking and is the right technique.

I cant see how it is a wear and tear issue?

You probably have had the same clutch for 5 years coz you drive like miss daisy. Who knows. Thats not enough of a key point to validate riding your brakes and clutch at every stop.

So can I ask - how do you brake coming into a corner? Your in 4th gear doing 60kmh an hour for a standard left hand 90 degree turn from the street you are travelling on. Do tell.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #25
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:

Might also explain why my XR6 has had the same clutch since I bought it 5 years ago!
and why my parent's EBII, which they bought brand new in 93' and use engine braking all the time is on it's original clutch

Old 30-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #26
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

both my folks cars are manual so i never drive auto. i thought its better to gear down? its good when i can see the lights hundred or so metres ahead and you gradually slow down to a safer speed. if you didnt gear down then what do you do? hard brake or hold the brake? either way its going to wear the brake pads quicker. if you can gear down then why not. and change gears at earlier revs to save fuel. but theres nothing worse then being in the car with somone and they are in fourth doing 50km.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:

Never had to replace a gearbox in my previous vehicles.
My last car I had from new ... and did 2 clutches in it ... and that was over a 5 year period as well ... mind you though .... the car had done 350,000km of decent driving (metro deliveries and some country work).

a lot of my braking was engine braking and gearing down ... but nothing harsh to do damage to it. I used my brakes as well ... but used the engine to aid in braking too.

If done properly engine braking is an effective aid that isn't really all that damaging.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #28
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Lol I can't remember if I do it with toe on brake or toe on accelerator. But it's one of the two. I've only started to do it but I seem to be matching the revs pretty good. Only about 100 or 200 rpm off.
I just found it easier to regular braking pressure with my toes than it was with my heel ... so i did it that way :1syellow1
Old 30-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #29
gozza

i'll double clutch for corners using the engine compression to brake...if im slowing for lights i'll just use the pedal

if im going down a big hill i'll use a combination of both lol
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My manual for my car says to use engine braking but I have always used it.