Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default first experience of an FG.

so my lifelong mate rolled into adelaide on sat morn for a snap visit for 'greek easter'. he asked if we could catch up for a cuppa. his rental from the airport was an FG XR6.

he picked me up in it.

looks - check
power - check
comfort - check
geek gizmos - check

i was sitting in this car thinking it had the 'goods' on my old VE. the same question kept on recurring in my mind.

'what else could ford do to keep this car alive'? i dont think they need to do anything. its a DAMN fine car.

FG XR6 (son)
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: first experience of an FG.

I love the XR6, they get good economy too.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

The MKII FG's are the duck's nuts.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Ron62
Starter Motor

I have to say that the best decision I made was getting the FG MKII XR6. I looked at the VEII and was unimpressed. It has been a faultless car, and added the X force S/S 2.5 "cat back to give it a note. I have been with the Holden camp most of my life so that says enough in itself.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

at the moment you can score a manual xr6 with 5 years 200 000km warranty for $34 grand
pretty damn good value for money
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I love the XR6, they get good economy too.
My rolling economy figure is on 10.0! I drive like a grandma and only give my T the odd squirt. I drive in Canberra traffic and use 98 octane. I strongly suspect the economy figure will return to 10.8 which is what it was on for months.

Having properly inflated tires and being mindful of when your car gets into 5th and 6th is important to goodly economy.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
335POWER
formerly Troy23

My economy atm is 9.6.

Mods: Pacemaker competition headers, hi flow cat, x-force cat back exhaust, K&N air filter, Kings SSSL springs, Herrod CAI, Powerbond under drive, XR6T injectors[B]
Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Turboconvert

Agreed, the fg xr6 is a damn fine car. Parents picked up a second hand one from a ford dealer just over a year ago (2010 model). Comfortable, good feel, drives like a dream, plenty of punch for a six and fuel economy you wouldn't sneeze at even in a four banger. When ever they go out of town they are getting constant mid to high 8's on the highway. The tech you get is pretty good for the price you pay.

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Dusty
searching.....

After reading a few doom and gloom posts it is refreshing to read the positives. I would love an FG but would get peanuts for my BA as a trade.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
335POWER
formerly Troy23

Quote:
Originally Posted by uteaddict View Post
Agreed, the fg xr6 is a damn fine car. Parents picked up a second hand one from a ford dealer just over a year ago (2010 model). Comfortable, good feel, drives like a dream, plenty of punch for a six and fuel economy you wouldn't sneeze at even in a four banger. When ever they go out of town they are getting constant mid to high 8's on the highway. The tech you get is pretty good for the price you pay.
Yeah, economy is great, even though I'm at 9.6 atm, it was 8.3 at one point when my daily trek to work was from Alberton to Noarlunga, basically being a straight through 45min drive with hardly any stopping

Mods: Pacemaker competition headers, hi flow cat, x-force cat back exhaust, K&N air filter, Kings SSSL springs, Herrod CAI, Powerbond under drive, XR6T injectors[B]
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
getjpi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna View Post
so my lifelong mate rolled into adelaide on sat morn for a snap visit for 'greek easter'. he asked if we could catch up for a cuppa. his rental from the airport was an FG XR6.

he picked me up in it.

looks - check
power - check
comfort - check
geek gizmos - check

i was sitting in this car thinking it had the 'goods' on my old VE. the same question kept on recurring in my mind.

'what else could ford do to keep this car alive'? i dont think they need to do anything. its a DAMN fine car.
Failing to see the enthusiasm when compared to what else is out there...

In mid 2009 I spent a week driving around Victoria putting nearly 2000km on an FG XR6 with just 5000km on the clock.

When compared to the 2002 E39 530D with 140000km odd on the clock I drove in the northern hemisphere at the time, handling wise the XR6 is positively barge like, uncomfortable to drive with poor clearance underneath the steering wheel, with a strange angle alignment for the driver.

The BMW was good for nearly 1100km from a full tank to reserve light coming on whilst motorway driving @ 130kph. The XR6 would be on it's 3rd tank fill to cover that distance at that speed. Economical it is not.

A Zetec Mondeo is a more frugal, comfortable assured drive.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by getjpi View Post

In mid 2009 I spent a week driving around Victoria putting nearly 2000km on an FG XR6 with just 5000km on the clock.

When compared to the 2002 E39 530D with 140000km odd on the clock I drove in the northern hemisphere at the time, handling wise the XR6 is positively barge like, uncomfortable to drive with poor clearance underneath the steering wheel, with a strange angle alignment for the driver.

The BMW was good for nearly 1100km from a full tank to reserve light coming on whilst motorway driving @ 130kph. The XR6 would be on it's 3rd tank fill to cover that distance at that speed. Economical it is not.

10 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

There's always someone who wants to compare a brand new, warranty backed Falcon to an older German luxury saloon with a diesel engine. In 2013 you can't buy a brand new 2002 530D with 3-5 years warranty for $35k.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
05_ENFORCER

Quote:

If you do not like the Ford brand or what this forum is about, please go away and troll somewhere else

Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
chriso89

im on my second fg and anyone who says australian fords are no good needs to check em selves because that is a flat out lie, falcons might not be able to OUT SELL the commondoor but they are light years ahead of it quality and performance wise.

i will have falcons until either i die or it dies but i hope the name plate outlives me.
Vertini magic Concaves 19x8.5 fronts 19x9.5 rears.
PW S1 cooler kit, Plazmaman T/Side intake+Battery Relocate, 4" Exhaust, Injectors, V-Springs, eBoost2, custom tune + ZF Tune.
-------------------------
-PREVIOUS-
N/A 2010 FG XR6 ute in EGO.
Atomic Stage 4 Cams + Valve Springs.
Full XFORCE 2.5" Exhaust.
Full Custom Tune - 167.2 RWKW
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:

Maybe somebody should make them selfs aware of the site T&C that they agreed to abide by when joining this site

See below

8. Continual posts containing negative comments about the Ford Motor Company, Ford related product or the AFF community. This does not mean that you can't raise a legitimate issue or make the occasional negative comment but consistent bashing won't be tolerated.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #17
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But aren't FG Falcons terrible cars? This forum made me think so
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Try the EcoLpi Falcon then.

Game over....
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

2002 530D ............. that made me LOL.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
4 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:

I apologise in advance if this violates the T&Cs, but you sir, are a tool!

We don't need your kind here. It's fair enough if you say that the Falcon isn't perfect (what car is?), but the FG is a great car - the best Falcon Ford have built. Troll elsewhere.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the XR6 version is the best car I have ever driven. the handling is so wonderful for a big car and it feels safe!! I love the 6 cylinders punch and six speed auto is a brilliant!!! I'd even be happy with an XT in saying that!!! a very underrated car in my book. I'd be happy with ANY engine the FG has. I really look forward too the next model falcon and hopefully will still have as many engine choices as it does now. I haven't driven an ecoboost or 5L Miami but from what I have heard of this forums is the eco boost is every bit as good as the 6 cylinder and the 5L Miami flys!!! I love the note of the 5L and the 6 cylinder turbos are fun!!! best bang for buck performance car!!
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #22
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:

Comparing "new for new"... the 530D Beemer is certainly frugal... especially on the highway ! 2013 530D uses about 4.7L/100 (Hwy) ! Lets say... about half that of the FG XR6 !???
However... Just taking the costs of both cars and fuel into consideration.... a 2013 530D costs around $120,000.00 bucks !!!! That's $85,000.00 bucks dearer than an FG XR6
So... assuming the Beemer uses around half the fuel an FG XR6 does... and a tank of petrol/diesel costs $100 bucks.... and you'd use a tank of fuel a week in the XR6 (or 1/2 a tank of diesel in the Beemer)... You would have to drive both cars for around 31yrs before you broke even !!
Or... park the Beemer from new (& never drive it)... and enjoy driving the Falcon for just over 16yrs !!!

At which time... (or even after around 6yrs old)... both cars are worth about the same as trade-ins... lets just say, for arguments sake.. $10,000.00 bucks ! That means you've lost $25K on the XR6 and $110K on the Beemer... which is another $85,000.00 bucks.... which means you could afford to drive the Falcon for another 16yrs !!!!

From this... we can only deduce that buying an FG XR6, instead of a 2013 530D, can give you 32 years worth of better value !!!

You were right when you eluded to the fact, there's no real comparison

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #23
getjpi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1XLS View Post
Maybe somebody should make them selfs aware of the site T&C that they agreed to abide by when joining this site

See below

8. Continual posts containing negative comments about the Ford Motor Company, Ford related product or the AFF community. This does not mean that you can't raise a legitimate issue or make the occasional negative comment but consistent bashing won't be tolerated.
'consistent bashing' ? que ?

As per the thread title, I recounted one's 'first experience of an FG', from behind the wheel of a nearly new car when compared to the 7 year old platform I was driving day to day elsewhere.
I experienced the exact same issue with seat positioning and steering wheel placement detailed by others here and elsewhere, a hearty thirst for fuel when driving anywhere not on a motorway and less than stellar heavy nose on road dynamics when not driving in a straight line.

Those are facts, unpleasant to the fan club of any platform, but some of the reasons why large sedans with large petrol engines are not selling in qty here in Australia any more.

Is pointing out Ford management's repeated inability to produce a internationally marketable Territory platform which would have undoubtedly sold large UK numbers with the addition of a MPH Speedo and and a Ford made oil burner 'consistent bashing', or a concise summary of 6 years of lost opportunity to the detriment of those doing the do on the line in Geelong ?

There is a Fairmont wagon parked in the drive, it would have been a SX Terri on LPG, but I wasnt willing to take the risk with diff and suspension bushes, gearbox milkshakes and other woes which thanks to the 'consistent bashing' on this very forum which helped steer my purchase.

Last edited by Auslandau; 06-05-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Removed the bits not required!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I was hoping to get an XR6 ... but found myself in a base model FG. Luckily with the ZF as well.

For a larger 4L 6-cylindeer ... the good old FG gets 6.6L/100km on the highway ... which actually isn't far off the diesel 3L Beemer really ... and petrol is fair but cheaper at the moment too (got ULP for $1.16/L tonight in Sydney) ... diesel was $1.50/L

I do agree the efficiency of the diesel is better for the long haul though ... but the torque of the current I6's are great for what they are worth.

But as mentioned initial BMW prices are horrendous ... but they do come with a lot more luxury ... and import taxing as well.

Anyway ... back to it ... the FG XT is a nice quiet cruiser ... comfortable ... and enjoyable to drive ... cheap of fuel (the worst i get in Sydney is 9.5L/100km). I filled up 65L tonight and got 700km from it .... no highways/freeways.

They are a big step up from the B-series in refinement/efficiency ... I can say it ... as I have had AU and BF in the process as well.

If this is Ford Australia's last hurrah .... they've done well.

If you want to put this in line with the Euros ... the S/C V8 and turbo 6's make a complete mockery of some of the top of the line Euro's available on the market
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #25
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Its not just about bieng critical, its how and when you go about it. To bring out a car that you drove 10 years ago based on memory is a hard comparison.

This is (one of a few) good news threads and only takes someone to throw it out of wack. Plenty of other threads to do that in.

Shame you didnt buy the Terry. Great car, 1000's apon 1000's sold, as of today I now have 2 with the older one hitting 100,000 without any real issues.

Forums will always have those who have problems, thats why they are here, to get advice but the absolute majority enjoy waht they have ..... another reason why they are here.

In threads like this, bring something to the table that is a direct comparison but in a way that wont derail what is a good topic. It is 1 persons view saying they are happy with the FG ...... and does not need to be slapped down saying they are rubbish

Actually, drive a Falcon EcoBoost and see how frugal and agile they are. Really you need to keep up with the times

By the way ..... I have a 2002 BMW in the driveway.

PS: The perception might be they use too much fuel ...... the reality is very very different today!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #26
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

^^^^^^^^

With all due respect. You're wrong.

FG is a very fine car. Poorly sold ( sorry ford) but still a fine car.

I drive a euro diesel for work. It's highly regarded at large. But it's noisy and slow and not well rated by me. Regardless of cost I'd rather drive my FG.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #27
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks wise I was just noticing the other day how good the FGII XR6 looks, in my eyes it looks better than the new VF sports versions.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #28
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I have recently bought a FG MKII XR6. 'We' bought it because I wanted a nice car to myself now that the kids are all but off our hands. We have unfortunately bought 12 months earlier than we would have liked.

The plan was to spoil ourselves in 12 months time when the oldest kid gets his licence. We were going to give him the use of the AU ute (no, not give him it) just allow him to have full use of it. We were then going to buy ourselves a car each. We were going to buy a XR6 and a smaller car for the wife.

Due to unforeseen circumstances we had to buy a replacement family car. So we bought the XR6 12 months early - the idea being that we would use it as the family car (my wife being the main user of it) for 12 months and then buy the smaller car and I would take over the XR6.

There is a major problem with this plan now. You guessed it, the wife does not want to give up the XR6 next January/February! After driving this she doesn't see the point in getting a smaller car. She is more than happy with the fuel economy, finds it easy to park and loves how smooth it drives.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Exaggerate much do we??? mate your full of it.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #30
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I have recently bought a FG MKII XR6. 'We' bought it because I wanted a nice car to myself now that the kids are all but off our hands. We have unfortunately bought 12 months earlier than we would have liked.

The plan was to spoil ourselves in 12 months time when the oldest kid gets his licence. We were going to give him the use of the AU ute (no, not give him it) just allow him to have full use of it. We were then going to buy ourselves a car each. We were going to buy a XR6 and a smaller car for the wife.

Due to unforeseen circumstances we had to buy a replacement family car. So we bought the XR6 12 months early - the idea being that we would use it as the family car (my wife being the main user of it) for 12 months and then buy the smaller car and I would take over the XR6.

There is a major problem with this plan now. You guessed it, the wife does not want to give up the XR6 next January/February! After driving this she doesn't see the point in getting a smaller car. She is more than happy with the fuel economy, finds it easy to park and loves how smooth it drives.
The Bloke I work alongside has the same trouble... picked up his FG XR6 from the Dealer, not long ago.... hasn't been able to get near it since !!! His Missus won't relinquish the keys !!! They both love it !!
D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Closed Thread