Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
parawolf
beep beep

Default Buying at auction houses

How does an average punter like myself go about buying a car from a auction house such as "Fowles" or "Pickles"?

Can I turn up and do it myself, or do you have to be a registered bidder or belong to some 2nd hand dealer network?

Whats the best way to do it? I don't know anyone that can act on my behalf that is in the 2nd hand business... I'm guessing a lot of the 'older' say E-Series cars or wahtever don't have RWC, so how do you go about getting them off the holding lot? Do I have to organise a trailer or can you get a cover note to drive it? Whats the deal?

Old 05-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
parawolf
beep beep

Also, as a follow up, how do you pay for it? I mean I don't have a cheque account, and don't have a $10,000+ credit limit on the card... Can you win the auction, put a deposit and collect the car that weekend or the next day or in a few hours time? or does it have to wheel out then and there?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

You can turn up to the public auctions. You do need to register yourself if you intend to bid, but thats no big deal. They will give you a bidder number and usually a catalogue of the vehicles.
If you are successful then you will need to pay a deposit on the spot (usually $500), and the balance by 3pm the next day. I paid by bank cheque.
If the car is registered, you should be able to drive it away once it's paid for.
You can ring up your insurance provider before you go to pick it up and inform them of the vehicle's details and they can add it to your current policy.
I was told cover notes are no longer issued when I enquired about my car.
I bought it from Pickles.
You can also check their website and they will have more details about bidding and whats required.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

If you haven't already, read this: http://www.pickles.com.au/buying.html
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
parawolf
beep beep

Interesting... Fowles offer a 7 - 28 day vicroads permits...