Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2023, 09:59 AM   #2551
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Every country in the world(western) pays excise on fuel, without that money coming in, roads don’t get built etc..It is for infrastructure & roads.Stop ya whining!
Then why do I pay my rego every year? That's supposed to be for roads and infrastructure which is why it's weight based.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2023, 10:06 AM   #2552
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Isn't the fuel excise a federal tax? Then the state based registration is for the state government.

Regional VIC isn't getting it's fair share of the federal fuel excise that's for sure our roads are absolutely halal at the moment.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-09-2023, 10:52 AM   #2553
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Isn't the fuel excise a federal tax? Then the state based registration is for the state government.

Regional VIC isn't getting it's fair share of the federal fuel excise that's for sure our roads are absolutely halal at the moment.
Victoria are having their tax on EVs challenged in the courts now. Still pending an outcome. State trying to collect a federal tax
Old 06-09-2023, 12:50 PM   #2554
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Working from home lately so not needing to fill up for many weeks.
Was shocked at the price last week when I did need to put a bit of 91 in the AU.
And that day was asked if I had an RAA card. Never knew this was a thing. And the bloke serving tells me its been like this for about 2 years
Dont worry, I only found this out myself a month back. We may as well make the membership worthwhile as much as possible. I use the card for movie tickets at Wallis cinemas too. There are a number of member benefits that we can use it for but is rare that remember to pull out the card at the time.

https://our.raa.com.au/membership/me...nts-and-offers

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2023, 03:42 PM   #2555
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Dont worry, I only found this out myself a month back. We may as well make the membership worthwhile as much as possible. I use the card for movie tickets at Wallis cinemas too. There are a number of member benefits that we can use it for but is rare that remember to pull out the card at the time.

https://our.raa.com.au/membership/me...nts-and-offers

The only time I have ever remembered to use RAA card is the times we have bought tix to Royal Show.

I should really get smarter with this stuff.
Do you have a Rewards card? No
Flybuys? No.
etc etc.
Just let me pay for my stuff please.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2023, 03:46 PM   #2556
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Victoria are having their tax on EVs challenged in the courts now. Still pending an outcome. State trying to collect a federal tax
If the court sides with the VIC Government, watch all the states implement it.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2023, 05:59 PM   #2557
burnz
VFII SS UTE

correct me if wrong but VIC doesent do rego check ??

so they will have to introduce pink slip type setup. record ODO reading.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2023, 06:24 PM   #2558
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
correct me if wrong but VIC doesent do rego check ??

so they will have to introduce pink slip type setup. record ODO reading.
At the moment I think you just self report how many kilometers the car has done, I'll find out from mate as he's got a Volvo PHEV he had to report to them recently.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2023, 03:00 PM   #2559
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Been paying $2.18/L for 98 here yesterday central VIC.

MVP is LPG at the moment around Melbourne, it's disappearing at a rate of knots but it's 0.77/L compared to $2/L for 91
Here in Bris E10 is $2.18 when i go to NSW it's always cheaper for fuel and does not jump and down like 40 cents a L and Canberra is steady not jumping about like a Roo !

But anyroad it's Joe Biden who has created all this moronic price for fuel, but you do not see such facts being exposed by the Media. It's him and his idiot War and his war on climate change and fact is both are based on total BS.

I am getting my fuel from Russia now at $1.02 after Tax. for 98 octane. maybe we could bypass the system some how.

Look at people who smoke getting shafted nowadays that's criminal, no wonder them tobacco people are selling under the counter, the Government have created such and they themselves are to blame for such, they are shafting us ! Not to mention Tax on Grog, You have to learn to stand up to such tactics.

It's all one sided nonsense that we are being fed, we are living in Nazi Germany and Communist type of brainwashing Media BS !

Ask the question why are we paying so much for fuel ? Well Joe Biden does not want Russia selling cheap fuel, so he created and backed the Ukraine conflict.

We are all being ripped off !
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2023, 03:52 PM   #2560
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Here in Bris E10 is $2.18 when i go to NSW it's always cheaper for fuel and does not jump and down like 40 cents a L and Canberra is steady not jumping about like a Roo !

But anyroad it's Joe Biden who has created all this moronic price for fuel, but you do not see such facts being exposed by the Media. It's him and his idiot War and his war on climate change and fact is both are based on total BS.

I am getting my fuel from Russia now at $1.02 after Tax. for 98 octane. maybe we could bypass the system some how.

Look at people who smoke getting shafted nowadays that's criminal, no wonder them tobacco people are selling under the counter, the Government have created such and they themselves are to blame for such, they are shafting us ! Not to mention Tax on Grog, You have to learn to stand up to such tactics.

It's all one sided nonsense that we are being fed, we are living in Nazi Germany and Communist type of brainwashing Media BS !

Ask the question why are we paying so much for fuel ? Well Joe Biden does not want Russia selling cheap fuel, so he created and backed the Ukraine conflict.

We are all being ripped off !
The irony of the bolded statement when you want to buy fuel from the very country that's a hybrid Nazi/Communist regime.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2023, 06:07 PM   #2561
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
The irony of the bolded statement when you want to buy fuel from the very country that's a hybrid Nazi/Communist regime.
i'm pretty shure he said russia not ukraine.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2023, 06:28 PM   #2562
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
i'm pretty shure he said russia not ukraine.
I'm pretty shure [sic] you're taking the ****. Or deluded. One of the two. 😂😂😂
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2023, 06:35 PM   #2563
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm hearing money isn't the problem. Its getting people to do the work within the window of opportunity that is the problem. Patch up jobs don't last, they need to rip it all up and start from the bottom layer, and it needs to be done when the weather is right, which is the hardest part as its out of your control.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2023, 01:52 PM   #2564
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Don't you want cheap fuel ! you or the world has it all, but for Joe Biden standing in your way in fact, it's his baby to make you pay like we are doing.

I do not care about Ukraine i would not give one cent to prop that government up at all because it's the most corrupt country on earth in fact for many years now, not to mention their support of Nazi trash.
It they let the Ukraine people vote on the disputed areas 80% support to be with Russia in fact, but no ! they did not want them to vote because they knew they would loose in fact. The War is insane ! and we are paying for it.

I know why we are being ripped off but most Australians don't truly have a clue.
Biden is responsible in driving up inflation because he is tossing money around like a fool ! he is working to destroy the USA not to mention feeding China and driving Russia to become as one with China and with that goose in NK.
It looks as tho we are only going to pay more and more for fuel because of Joe Biden ! We do not need this at all ! I don't support such at all !
Look at all the people going bankrupt in Australia.
Look at how pathetic our Governments are, just morons ! VIC Premier QLD Premier and the PM are a disgrace so full of BS !

We should not be paying over $1.20 a L for E10 in fact. we are being shafted in fact !
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2023, 09:36 PM   #2565
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anywhere from $2-2.30/lt for 98 these days. Usually the upper end last couple of fills.

AUD to USD going down. OPEC cartel cutting production etc etc
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2023, 10:00 PM   #2566
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Our governments are addicted to excise and taxes from petrol and diesel, if that were to somehow suddenly drop,
they would immediately tax motorists in a different way to make up the difference.

Oil companies did similar years ago when many switched to diesel Utes and SUVs, they protected revenue
by jacking up the price of once low cost diesel to petrol prices, so a lot of the fuel savings were wretched back.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2023, 10:04 PM   #2567
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Either way, Govco will make sure THEY don't lose and we will.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2023, 10:32 PM   #2568
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
At the moment I think you just self report how many kilometers the car has done, I'll find out from mate as he's got a Volvo PHEV he had to report to them recently.
Yep, you have to upload a picture of you odometer at the time of registration. It will give you your bill after that.

2.8 cents per km for EVs. (Started at 2.5 cents)
2.3 cents for hybrids/PHEV. (Started at 2 cents)

For EVs, you'd have to have a car that uses less than 6 litres/100 to pay less in excise (excluding the cost of fuel).

You are getting really screwed with hybrids paying both fuel excise and Vic tax.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:06 AM   #2569
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

House always gets a cut. Buy a EV, now enjoy a user charge
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2023, 08:06 AM   #2570
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Yep, you have to upload a picture of you odometer at the time of registration. It will give you your bill after that.

2.8 cents per km for EVs. (Started at 2.5 cents)
2.3 cents for hybrids/PHEV. (Started at 2 cents)

For EVs, you'd have to have a car that uses less than 6 litres/100 to pay less in excise (excluding the cost of fuel).

You are getting really screwed with hybrids paying both fuel excise and Vic tax.
I understand what they are currently doing but,
My concern is that EV buyers will be promised all kinds of tax breaks that will be
clawed back once any sort of mass migration away from petrol and diesel occurs.

At some future time, I fully expect governments to adopt some form of zonal travel
system as a way of charging us as opposed to fuel and registration taxes.
Something easy to implement and charge via GPS tracking, something that’s hard for us to avoid……

So am I overly suspicious? Probably but the way green energy costs are going,
we’re paying more Fo everything while being told prices will drop in the future….
Yeah, right…

Last edited by jpd80; 09-09-2023 at 08:13 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2023, 08:26 AM   #2571
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I don't get people getting upset about taxes they pay on certain things. It's a pretty simple principle: you need enough money coming in to pay for all the money going out. You want to increase expenditure, you need to increase income. If one form of revenue goes down, then another needs to be found to replace it.

Yes, I get the concept of deficits and having to pay on that, blah, blah, and that accountants will say its for more complex than that (which it is in detail) but the principle is pretty simple.

At the end of the day, if you don't pay tax in one area, you will in another.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2023, 08:50 AM   #2572
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Don't you want cheap fuel ! you or the world has it all, but for Joe Biden standing in your way in fact, it's his baby to make you pay like we are doing.
No, it’s the oil companies making massive profits off us sheep, look at them brag about the size of recent profits - none of that is government policy
Quote:
I do not care about Ukraine i would not give one cent to prop that government up at all because it's the most corrupt country on earth in fact for many years now, not to mention their support of Nazi trash.
It they let the Ukraine people vote on the disputed areas 80% support to be with Russia in fact, but no ! they did not want them to vote because they knew they would loose in fact. The War is insane ! and we are paying for it.
NATO and the Yanks are paying for war against Russia but really, this is at a much lower level than costs of staying in Afghanistan. Americans need to be on a constant war footing to support their economy.
Quote:

I know why we are being ripped off but most Australians don't truly have a clue.
Biden is responsible in driving up inflation because he is tossing money around like a fool ! he is working to destroy the USA not to mention feeding China and driving Russia to become as one with China and with that goose in NK.
OK, so how come inflation is now down to 3% in the US and record number of jobs created since the start of 2021. America is in good shape In spite of many claiming it would go into recession. By contrast, our inflation remains a lot higher at 6% even with the interest rate sledgehammer destroying people’s wealth.
Quote:
It looks as tho we are only going to pay more and more for fuel because of Joe Biden ! We do not need this at all ! I don't support such at all !
Look at all the people going bankrupt in Australia.
US fuel prices have actually dropped significantly in the past 18 months, Biden released some of the strategic reserve to push that price down and then replenished those reserves at the lower price.

No Biden is not a genius, I put his moves as the minimum a responsible leader should be doing but I suspect that Russia is a lot less influence these days thanks to the Germans quickly building a massive LNG import terminal for shipping, completely eliminating the need for Nordstrom pipeline - it can stay shut blocked off. Russia is also limited to selling crude at $45/ barrel, the next couple of years, things will quieter down…

My take is that big oil controls prices way more than any politician can ever do and that’ why we are stuck with different prices compared to WTI, BRENT AND TAPIS prices are always much higher and weighing against us here in Australia.
Quote:
Look at how pathetic our Governments are, just morons ! VIC Premier QLD Premier and the PM are a disgrace so full of BS !

We should not be paying over $1.20 a L for E10 in fact. we are being shafted in fact !
Again, my take is that governments are along for the ride on higher prices we all pay, 10% GST on top of inflated prices just adds to our misery while adding to their coffers. At $2.20/litre, I make that about 60 cpl of excise and GST, which makes the oil company price $1.60/litre, another 40cpl going to them at least assuming Your $1.20 figure includes GST and excise…..

All those interest rate increases were unnecessary when inflation’s main cause were multinationals price gouging us, destroying people’s homes and future nest eggs with so many interest increases - someone needs to be held to account for that.

Last edited by jpd80; 09-09-2023 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:51 AM   #2573
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I understand what they are currently doing but,
My concern is that EV buyers will be promised all kinds of tax breaks that will be
clawed back once any sort of mass migration away from petrol and diesel occurs.

At some future time, I fully expect governments to adopt some form of zonal travel
system as a way of charging us as opposed to fuel and registration taxes.
Something easy to implement and charge via GPS tracking, something that’s hard for us to avoid……

So am I overly suspicious? Probably but the way green energy costs are going,
we’re paying more Fo everything while being told prices will drop in the future….
Yeah, right…
There shouldn't be a concern.....but an expectation, as soon as they've reeled in enough EV owners the taxes will come it's what governments do .....the little people must be pushed back down

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2023, 08:55 AM   #2574
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
There shouldn't be a concern.....but an expectation, as soon as they've reeled in enough EV owners the taxes will come it's what governments do .....the little people must be pushed back down
What governments do is tax people in their normal lives and the easiest methods
for them is to do it in ways that are unavoidable for most of us private citizens.
Taxing businesses is a nonsense, they just pass on those costs to us end users.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2023, 09:11 AM   #2575
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
for them is to do it in ways that are unavoidable for most of us private citizens.
I've heard that argument before.....I'm not sure what the answer is ,we need a fairer balance ?

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 09-09-2023, 09:19 AM   #2576
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
I've heard that argument before.....I'm not sure what the answer is ,we need a fairer balance ?
That’s not an argument, that’s a fact of life, death and taxes are two things none of us can avoid.
Old 09-09-2023, 11:57 AM   #2577
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That’s not an argument, that’s a fact of life, death and taxes are two things none of us can avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The argument was about not taxing businesses

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 09-09-2023, 12:55 PM   #2578
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

And just down the road from here, $1.87 E10, $2.12 98

Crazy

3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2023, 01:37 PM   #2579
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Crazy
It’s a token gesture that proves that oil companies don’t fix prices……..a thin veil?
Old 09-09-2023, 01:50 PM   #2580
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Crazy

Interesting the difference between 95 and 98 is only 5c .....the difference over this side of the ditch is around 15c , the explanation is the discount is only on 91 so if you need a high octane you really get ripped off

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual