Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 17-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
djmaker

Default ef question???

Ok so i got a question to ask... what are the diffreces between the ef falcon,ef fairmont and ef fairmont ghia???? i was told the fairmont ghia has a xr6 motor in it if thats right does a standard fairmont have the same motor??? and if any one could tell me whats the diffrence in power compared between the 3 cars that would be greatly appriciated.

Thanx

djmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
niko
likes falcon's

motor wise its a few more kw, off the line wise its a tad more noticable due, to the better ratio diff, computer is better also (the tikford one) "apparently" the auto/manual are the same

xr= is sports falcon gl,
fairmont= ghia without fancy door trims and seats and few chrome moulds, and few other small things

ghia in ef series 2 i beleive received the xr stuff as option not sure if it was standard.
Old 17-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
djmaker

mmmm thats intresting i thoght the falcons would be better off the line due to being less in weight..... also i wanted to know do all of em come with lsd or only the fairmonts???
Old 17-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
niko
likes falcon's

only the ghias/xr's

fairmonts got single spinners
Old 17-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
niko
likes falcon's

thats why it works out bit better if you buy atleast a fairmont or xr etc as you have lots of the goodies already and leaves u a smaller list of possible things you can update to
Old 17-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
djmaker

but from what i can see theres not a WHOLE lot of diffrence between the fairmont and the falcon unless you buy a ghia or am i rong???
Old 17-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #7
EF_Frmnt
Banned

The Fairmont Ghias had the XR6 motor as standard the only difference being a bit quiter exhaust on the ghias.. the Fairmonts could also be optioned with the 3.45 LSD instead of the standard 3.23 SS. The Fairmonts are far better than standard falcon if you want all the little things like power windows.. oil pressure gauge in dash as well as voltmeter (gli only has water temp and fuel) better seats better interior all together.. climate control trip computer etc.. all things that most people end up doi ng to their standard or XR falcons. all the xrs have is slightly different cam and springs and computer.
EF_Frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Frmnt
The Fairmont Ghias had the XR6 motor as standard the only difference being a bit quiter exhaust on the ghias.. the Fairmonts could also be optioned with the 3.45 LSD instead of the standard 3.23 SS. The Fairmonts are far better than standard falcon if you want all the little things like power windows.. oil pressure gauge in dash as well as voltmeter (gli only has water temp and fuel) better seats better interior all together.. climate control trip computer etc.. all things that most people end up doi ng to their standard or XR falcons. all the xrs have is slightly different cam and springs and computer.
I believe the LSD option on the Fairmonts was also 3.23:1 and not 3.45s. The 3.45 geras were exclusive to the XRs.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
EF_Frmnt
Banned

nope they had the 3.45 and LSD as an option.
EF_Frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 07:58 PM   #10
efgiar
rofl copter

series 2 ef ghias got the xr motor, xr ecu, and 3.45 lsd. was not an option

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #11
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Frmnt
nope they had the 3.45 and LSD as an option.

If you have access to an EF/EL workshop manual check out section 4-3-1. It says the following..

'All LSD axles fitted to this model (both 3.23 and 3.45 ratio) have a 7 3/4" (189.9mm) diameter ring gear'

To me that means that there was both a 3.23 and 3.45 LSD diff. Where would they have fitted the 3.23 ???
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post