Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default iphone

Hi

What other clues does phone usually provide to tell you it's time to upgrade to the 6 or 7? Have a iphone 4 and it's doing following

batterys lucky to last a few hours even hardly using it
Cameras not working best
Phones very slow and freezes
Signal drops out at certain places and in certain buildings yet the 5 onwards is almost perfect in same spots.

Why would the signal drop out on a 4 when the 5 on is fine in same spots

And why would the 4 freeze up yet the 5 on is quick

Would above problems plus how long you had it tell you it's time

Is there anything you can do to the 4 to run latest and to buy you more time to save up for the 6

How come the older iphones stop working properly after certain time why don't they just have some upgrades to keep them going for oldies so they don't have to keep changing once they're used to it and for people that need their old iphones to hang on a bit longer

What are other clues it's time to update from your old iphone besides slowing down

Thanks for any answers and help
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: iphone

Like anything, as it gets older it wears out.

Processor of the iPhone 4 is too slow and not designed and not able to run the new software etc that's why it freezes.

iPhone 4 is 6 years old now, so it's had a fair run if it's still working IMO.

I recently upgraded my iPhone 4s for the same reason, I still love the 4s but it was no longer able to handle the upgrades, and run the new apps as they require a faster processor and more memory.

Camera on the 7 is so much better as well.

I would not bother getting a 5 or 6 as it's already old technology before you take it out of the box. If I require a new phone I usually wait for the release of the next model and get it on the day of release, at least you will then get a decent run, my 4s lasted till the release of the 7, hopefully the seven will last me just as long.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
What are other clues it's time to update from your old iphone besides slowing down
Major clue for most people is when a new phone is released.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Have you tried a factory reset?

With the battery unless you pay to replace the internal battery just have a charger everywhere the phone sits idle (work, car, home) then carry a slimline battery backup when you are out and about.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What could you do if finances don't allow you to get newer iphone if you've had enough of the older one having problems or when it can't hang on any longer and you need as long as possible
Old 25-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can go to an apple store and ask for a battery replacement, and for around $100 they will exchange your phone for a new one, they still keep them on hand for this reason even though you can't buy a new iPhone 4 any more.

I recently did this with my daughters iPhone, but even a 4s it still struggles to run the software.

But it might be a way to get another year or so out of it for not a lot of money.

If money is an issue buy a second had iPhone 6 which are plentiful at the moment with lots of people upgrading to a 7.

If you can't afford that then work some more overtime, get a better job, or you simply can't afford to have a smart phone or get one of those cheap phones at Coles.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would the iphone4 loose signal in certain rooms and spots when the iphone 5 on is good
Old 25-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why would the iphone4 loose signal in certain rooms and spots when the iphone 5 on is good
Because it's old. New phones are more efficient, have better antennas, and are not worn out from 6 years of use.

Why can't your grandmother run hill sprints any more?? Same reason, old age.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Different/better antenna design in the iPhone 5.
Old 25-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #10
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you were to go into apple in adelaide say you want a battery replacement will they keep your old phone give you another one or replace battery, if you got a 4 will they give you a 4s or normal 5 or only swap a 4 for a 4 a 4s for a 4s or a 5 for a 5 sort of thing
Old 25-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you were to go into apple in adelaide say you want a battery replacement will they keep your old phone give you another one or replace battery, if you got a 4 will they give you a 4s or normal 5 or only swap a 4 for a 4 a 4s for a 4s or a 5 for a 5 sort of thing

Yes they exchange the phone for the same phone, it's not a phone upgrade it's a battery replacement. They will keep your old phone and just give you a new one, so back your phone up before you go, they will wipe it in front of you and give you another one that you then connect to your computer when you get home.

The new one does not come in a box and has no accessories, but it is brand new with the plastic still on it, we got one about 5 months ago as the battery only lasted a couple of hours.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #12
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much all up was it and when they give you a phone can you put your SIM card in and use the new phone straight away while away from home

Is there a normal 4 they give you or do they give you a 4s if you only got a normal 4

And is it worth getting a secondhand 5 to give ou a year or so and if you took that in would they give you a 5
Old 25-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am on a plan that suits my needs and usage, and with it I generally get a 'free' upgrade every 2 years. I have done so around this time each year since 2008 - starting with the iPhone 3, then the 4, 5 and 6 about 2 years back. I look after them, and they are all still in new condition (the 4 sits in the FG, hooked up to the iPod cable).

I've never needed to actually upgrade the phones for performance reasons - they all still work fine, but each time I'd be nearing the end of a contract, the deals on new contracts were always better - more data for less $$, more included calls etc, so it's really the contract that gets me upgrading.

I'm at that point now where they want to sign me up for a new 2 year contract again, and are offering the latest iPhone, which is barely different to what I have (externally) but much improved inside. Part of me says wait until this time next year when the new shape is due out, but the lure of a better (for me) contract is almost too good to ignore.

So it's not always wanting the latest & greatest - sometimes there's a financial incentive.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #14
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Mate, I think it's best you call them and ask these very specific question.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #15
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apple have come out and said phone only designed to last 2 years.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #16
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

If you just want a decent cheap phone and don't care much about apps get a Windows phone. I have had a Lumia 640 for a couple of years and can get more than two weeks out of one battery charge - although usually 1 week is the norm. The OS is great and for the most part I prefer it to iOS or Android.

As I said, the only real downside is a serious lack of app support. There are nowhere near as many apps for Win 8.1 as there are for Android or iOS but depending on what type of person you are, that might not matter. It has never bothered me. The phones cost less than $200 and do everything you need them to do (unless you're really into using specific apps).
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #17
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Apple have come out and said phone only designed to last 2 years.
That sounds about right in a lot of cases, most people I know change their phone every 1-2 years regardless.

I tend to hang on to mine as long as I reasonably can, I am the same with cars. for me money does not grow on trees, I got nearly 6 years out of my last iPhone, if I get 3-4 years out of this new one I will be happy.

I have a upgrade plan now, so for around $150 I can upgrade to the latest phone when it comes out, I will look into it more when the time comes.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 26-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #18
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try and score a second hand phone from someone that upgrades on a whim, then scout a good prepaid plan.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #19
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi again is it worth putting in a new battery in the iphone 4 or are you better off buying a secondhand iphone 5 while you save up for a 6 or 7 battery's been done atleast once already
Old 28-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #20
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 is really getting long in the tooth now for app support, and basic reliability too.

Best off buying a 2nd had 5 or 6 - but try to get one from someone you know, who is upgrading, or has upgraded.

My nephew now uses my wife's old iPhone 5 - it's been sitting in a drawer for 2 years, and we simply pulled it out, charged it, and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't be so confident with a 4.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #21
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would it be worth replacing the battery in the iphone 4 or bear buy a secondhand iphone 5 and buy a new battery for that
Old 10-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #22
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only reason I still have a 4 in use is that's what works reliably with the FG ICC.

With a low cashflow, I'd go with a 2nd hand 5, or a 5s - there should be no need to worry about a battery in it. My old 5 is now 4 years old - 2 years with me, and a further 2 years with my Aunt, with no issues.

But as I said above, try to get one from a known source - a friend or relative who has upgraded, so you know it's not going to fail from abuse a few months down the track.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #23
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any reason you are getting an iPhone? Sounds like you dont have alot of spare cash. The iPhone is the most expensive smart phone. The are generic android phones are very good at a fraction of the price of an iPhone
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #24
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Try and score a second hand phone from someone that upgrades on a whim, then scout a good prepaid plan.
^^^ this!

My wife used to regularly get a new iphone at contract renewal time, so I'd typically inherit her old iphone & put it on prepaid until it died. This time around she's keeping hers post-contract (iphone 6+)

I miss my nokia 3310
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post