Old 20-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default From senator to saw mill owner, the rise and rise of Ricky Muir

Quote:
From senator to saw mill owner, the rise and rise of Ricky Muir

Latika Bourke
20 November, 2016

After a short-lived, accidental but not insignificant stint in the Senate, Ricky Muir has learnt two lessons.

"The one thing you can guarantee in politics is everybody lies," he says good-humouredly.

See link below for video

The other? "So many people offer to do you a favour in politics but it comes with strings attached."

The "trickery" and intrigue of his white-collar job in Canberra was a far cry from the altruistic approach of his most recent employer John Mavros who ran a small sawmill in Heyfield, near Denison in Gippsland – the area where Muir grew up.

Despite being a reported "unemployed bum", Muir had been working casually at Canningvale Timbers in the time between his shock election; in September 2013 to when he formally took up the position in July 2014.

"John was really flexible," says Ricky's wife, chief adviser and mother-of-five Kerrie-Anne.

"If Rick had to travel up to Canberra or anywhere else for party business he'd give Rick work when he needed it and at the drop of a hat he'd let Rick not come in. He worked around Rick to help our family."

When Mavros was diagnosed with emphysema the mill fell into disrepair. Ricky had just lost his seat in the double dissolution election and was having a hard time letting go of the 24/7 high-pressure life that had catapulted him into the national spotlight as a kingmaker with the power to sanction or sink the government's legislation.

Former senator Ricky Muir at his newly purchased sawmill, which he affectionately calls ''George''. Photo: Joe Armao

"I thought it would be a case of – let's go and live it up, relax a little, but what I found was that I was checking the media at 5.30 in the morning, getting prepared to make a statement on whatever issue was controversial that day."

But his phone, which used to buzz incessantly with texts, calls and emails, many from the media went mostly untroubled.

Ricky Muir and his wife Kerrie-Anne at their newly purchased mill. Photo: Joe Armao

In April he was reported to have ruled out a return to the sawmill but his wife says owning a timber business was always part of the plan before politics dealt its wild card.

Now, battling boredom and keen get back working heavy machinery, he did decided to help out his mate.

Ricky Muir delivers his first speech to the Senate in March 2015. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

"I thought, John helped me out in a time of need so I'm going to go over there and help him clean the mill and I didn't know where life was going to take us."

Life would come full circle.

When Ricky returned to the mill yard it would not be for a clean up but a full takeover. In just a few weeks the former casual labourer between jobs before his Senate gig would become first-time business owner.

"Retail just went through the roof immediately," he says as his phone rings and talks of his hope to soon being taking on some staff.

Unlike MPs elected before 2007 like the former Speaker Bronwyn Bishop, Ricky Muir does not receive a parliamentary pension – a system he says needs reforming. "It should have been retrospective," he says.

"It's a privilege to be elected into the parliament. Like any other job once you're out you shouldn't receive any more remuneration," he says.

But Muir did receive what he describes as a "little boost" – a generous $49,760 "resettlement allowance" granted to departing senators.

That combined with careful savings during the time he earned $200,000 as a senator meant the high-school dropout, one-time "jobless bogan," and unashamed rev-head was able to buy the mill and install a Lucas sawmill, worth tens of thousands of dollars, which he affectionately calls "George."

Suddenly the 24/7 days were back but the white-collar and trimmed facial hair were gone, replaced by high-vis and a heavy bushranger beard.

"If there's a deep end I'm guaranteed to be dropped in it," he laughs.

"No, you're not dropped in it, you jump into it," Kerrie-Anne corrects.

It wasn't so much the deep end but the deep blue Muir jumped into when he was elected to Parliament on the back of an exotic preference swap deal with is Motoring Enthusiasts party recording a puny 0.51 per cent of the primary vote.

He was one of the senators in Malcolm Turnbull's sights when the Prime Minister introduced changes to eliminate the preference harvesting that got Muir elected and called on the double dissolution. But the tactic backfired with the crossbench growing from eight to 12 instead. "It was not a success," observes Muir.

While the changes did see Muir ousted, neither major party would pick up his spot. It went instead to another independent – former radio broadcaster Derryn Hinch.

"I think the popularity for the minor parties and independents absolutely is growing every single day," says Muir. But he warns the crossbenchers that they need to "play their cards right to ensure that that stays the mood of the public."

This, the Muirs say involves genuinely listening to and representing the electorate, something he believes the major parties have abandoned, to their peril and fuelled the rise of the political outsider, seen most sensationally with the election of Donald Trump, a result which he says came as no surprise to him.

"I think that's how I got elected, I think that's how Pauline got elected, I think that's how the Shooters & Fishers are likely to get elected in Orange byelection ," Muir says.

The self-described "outdoors enthusiast" and former CFMEU steward has flirted with the idea of running for the Labor party but now rules it out completely. "I have thought and thought and thought about this one now that I've had a little bit of time to let go. The answer's no."

"If it was the traditional Labor party maybe not the modern one," Kerrie-Anne adds.

"Exactly," says Ricky. "I'm sitting here looking at a picture of John Curtin up on my wall right now. If that was the Labor party we were talking about – probably. But we're not. We're speaking about an extension of the Greens party because they're too afraid of losing the city vote."

What's more, his two years as an independent turned him off the entire party system for good.

"I sat there and watched so many elected representatives sit there and say that they believed I was doing the right thing but go sit where the party told them to sit."

"I found it absolutely repulsive, I couldn't stand it and I'd be disendorsed the moment I was elected if I was to do it anyway."

Muir says the recent controversy around the Adler shotgun betrayed the impotence of the Nationals party – the Coalition's junior partner in government. He says the Nationals would be better off quitting and joining the crossbench. "They already are in a powerful position, if they chose to use it but they just don't seem to use it to their potential.

"I think we're about to see a whole heap of National votes, go to the likes of the Shooters & Fishers, The Country Party, One Nation because they are just little 'l' Liberals."

The minor party vote rose to its highest in July with nearly a quarter of voters boycotting the Labor and Liberal parties.

The Muirs have a stake in this trend, which began in the 2007 election, continuing its trajectory with Ricky hoping for a comeback in either state or federal politics.

Muir Timbers is part of that plan. "Once we've got the business running the way we want it, that may well open up further political aspirations, should we say."

That would get the tick of approval from at least one other member of the household – three-year old Tristan, who has accompanied Ricky and Kerrie-Anne to Canberra since he was 10 months old and is having readjustment issues.

"'Mummy, I have I an idea why can't Daddy be a senator and sawmill worker?' he said to me just the other day on his way to day-care," smiles Kerrie-Anne. " And I said 'it doesn't work like that mate'."

But for Ricky Muir, whose resume has never read like a career politician's, it just might.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...15-gsq55w.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: From senator to saw mill owner, the rise and rise of Ricky Muir

Correct me if I'm wrong but he did nothing for motoring enthusiasts....just managed to line his own pocket at our expense.

What a pathetic political system we have....and he keeps getting money...WTF?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but he did nothing for motoring enthusiasts....just managed to line his own pocket at our expense.

And you did?? I spent a day looking through Hansard, he did bring up many things in the Motorists interest. Sadly, most other politicians don't like enthusiasts and blocked his initiatives.

If enthusiasts were truly behind the party, like many said they were, AMEP should have got more seats and more say. Instead, like the good sheep people are, they have to vote along the line of what the parents did or the union tells me too, once the party had a representative, most on here whinged and moaned about his experience to represent them.

How many who whinged and moaned actually put their hand up to represent AMEP? Bugger all I bet.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on him for having a go.
Like Peter Garrett, one man against many stands a snow balls chance in hell of coming up with a better Australia with the current system.

(as an aside, re Garrett) How a bloke from parliament gets fingered for some dude doing dodgy electrical work in an attic is beyond me.

He's had a go, and he's discovered that you allegedly voted for lying devious, morally bankrupt politicians that have wasted billions, yet you worried about him lining his own pockets? He had to deal for these other politicians. About 150 of them

not to mention the millions spent on support staff?
Should I throw your question back at you? How many letters have you written about the issues you are worried about? Apathetic much ?

The article states political pensions were only for people elected prior to 2007, and that's something he says should have changed, it should have been retrospective, no one should get political pensions once their job is done and they are no longer elected regardless of start date.

How is that bad for the few remaining taxpayers left?

Last edited by 383hq; 20-11-2016 at 04:18 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
The article states political pensions were only for people elected prior to 2007, and that's something he says should have changed, it should have been retrospective, no one should get political pensions once their job is done and they are no longer elected regardless of start date.

Well he would say that given he got nothing, he wouldn't win much support if he argued everyone who enters parliament deserves a full pension.

That rewards the one off mistakes.

Quote:
Like Peter Garrett, one man against many stands a snow balls chance in hell of coming up with a better Australia with the current system.
Garrett lost a lot of his core support by siding with Labor and turning away from his long term activist views on the environment and his stance on the U.S. interference In world politics.

His election in a strong labor seat didn't push any of those issues to the forefront as he toed the party line.
Old 20-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra View Post
I spent a day looking through Hansard, he did bring up many things in the Motorists interest. Sadly, most other politicians don't like enthusiasts and blocked his initiatives.
Given you've already done the research why not make us all the wiser and list his failed motorist initiatives.
Old 20-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #7
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

A flawed voting system got him accidentally thrust into the senate where he was well and truly out of his depth. It shouldn't be a surprise that he's gone back to working in the timer yard.

As for his politics, as I recall a previous thread Ricky seemed very interested in cows and milk. FWIW, Senator Ricky is removed from facebook along with other websites. Whatever Ricky's contribution may have been, this is rapidly being erased. Hope he enjoyed the +$200,000 p.a.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

He actually stood up for people like myself who own small automotive repair businesses, unfortunately manufacturers don't have to provide any information what so ever to us small third party repairers on servicing specifications, diagnostics or even the ability to buy special tools.

Had a similar issue with some excavators, due to safety regulations in another state, we had to install some sensors that bring on a warning light when some particular equipment is down on the ground.

We couldn't do it via our normal way with sensors and wires - wires would snap if the excavator turns around too many times.

We could do it via hydraulic sensors, teamed up with a hydraulics bloke, all he needed was a circuit diagram of one particular hydraulic circuit, we contact the manufacturer of this equipment.

They turn around and say we're not providing that information, its our intellectual property, book it in with us and we'll sort it out.

3 month wait to book in, excavator going out interstate at end of week, oh well out it goes without this safety system.

He was trying to introduce a bill to parliament about manufacturers providing access to information for diagnostics, servicing to us third party repairers, but then the double dissolution happened and he got turfed out.

http://www.motoring.com.au/aaaa-and-fcai-showdown-46880

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...xclusive-42274

I take my hat off to Ricky Muir, he got my vote at this last election, unfortunately it wasn't enough.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
XR6_power

Quote:

(as an aside, re Garrett) How a bloke from parliament gets fingered for some dude doing dodgy electrical work in an attic is beyond me.

He's had a go, and he's discovered that you allegedly voted for lying devious, morally bankrupt politicians that have wasted billions, yet you worried about him lining his own pockets? He had to deal for these other politicians. About 150 of them

not to mention the millions spent on support staff?
Should I throw your question back at you? How many letters have you written about the issues you are worried about? Apathetic much ?

The article states political pensions were only for people elected prior to 2007, and that's something he says should have changed, it should have been retyirospective, no one should get political pensions once their job is done and they are no longer elected regardless of start date.

+1 excellent comment. The only way to make positive change is for people to get up and do something about it. Sitting around whinging gets you no where. After gaining some experience, I witnesssed Ricky Muir make some good speeches in regard to all sorts of issues. He also had a hand in blocking some nasty legislation the Libs tried to get through the senate. And he did all this with a young family in toe, good on him for having a go!

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT!)

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT) (YES I HAVE 2)

1991 EB S-XR8 WHITE (PROJECT)

2000 AU II XR8 200KW VENOM RED (GONE)

1995 EF XR8- COBALT BLUE (GONE)

1991 EB S XR8- PEARL BLACK (GONE)

1989 EA GL 5 SPEED (GONE)[/I]
[/B][/FONT]

Last edited by XR6_power; 20-11-2016 at 07:45 PM.
XR6_power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
He actually stood up for people like myself who own small automotive repair businesses, unfortunately manufacturers don't have to provide any information what so ever to us small third party repairers on servicing specifications, diagnostics or even the ability to buy special tools.

Had a similar issue with some excavators, due to safety regulations in another state, we had to install some sensors that bring on a warning light when some particular equipment is down on the ground.

We couldn't do it via our normal way with sensors and wires - wires would snap if the excavator turns around too many times.

We could do it via hydraulic sensors, teamed up with a hydraulics bloke, all he needed was a circuit diagram of one particular hydraulic circuit, we contact the manufacturer of this equipment.

They turn around and say we're not providing that information, its our intellectual property, book it in with us and we'll sort it out.

3 month wait to book in, excavator going out interstate at end of week, oh well out it goes without this safety system.

He was trying to introduce a bill to parliament about manufacturers providing access to information for diagnostics, servicing to us third party repairers, but then the double dissolution happened and he got turfed out.

I take my hat off to Ricky Muir, he got my vote at this last election, unfortunately it wasn't enough.
A bit more information on what he was attempting to introduce:

http://goautomedia.cdn.on.net/gan_pr...letter_013.pdf

Click on the article in the PDF.
Old 20-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Given you've already done the research why not make us all the wiser and list his failed motorist initiatives.
Use google, it is not that difficult.
Old 20-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #12
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
As for his politics, as I recall a previous thread Ricky seemed very interested in cows and milk.
What do you expect from a senator in a rural seat??
Old 20-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #13
Itsme
Experienced Member

I thought Ricky Muir was ok, you got to admire him giving it a go, a little man going up against the might of two big political parties & the rat bag greens.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #14
olfella
Cranky old bastard

I gave the guy a bit of credit. He stood up for what he believed in, managed to get over the line and got in amongst the big boys - putting him on a huge learning curve on how the system worked and how to play to win. I think he was just hitting his straps when he got undercut by Hinch. I think he may be back, and a lot wiser.
Old 20-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #15
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
What do you expect from a senator in a rural seat??
Actually senators are not elected by seat, but rather by State. Complete different system to HoR. Not many can achieve what he did against the majors in those days given the resources and history he had.
Old 20-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree with his assessment of party politics.

Still think someone like Pauline Hanson will be PM within 10 years - probably through a coalition of minor parties and independents.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

I remember the "after market industry" interview. The only problem was he did not know what the "aftermarket industry" was.

He was completely out of his depth and if an industry is relying on him to save it, good luck, you'll need it.

On intellectual property i certainly see merit on both sides of the arguement. Some company invests millions in engineering only to be forced to hand over details to anyone who asks. That will stiffle innovation.
Old 20-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #18
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What does it actually cost tax payers to have a knuckle head like this sitting in the senate?

He gets 4 or 5 staff and an office, his salary and travel and accom etc. 3 or 4 mill a year? Wasted tax payers dollars...

And now we are stil, paying him 50K a year.
Old 20-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I remember the "after market industry" interview. The only problem was he did not know what the "aftermarket industry" was.

He was completely out of his depth and if an industry is relying on him to save it, good luck, you'll need it.

On intellectual property i certainly see merit on both sides of the arguement. Some company invests millions in engineering only to be forced to hand over details to anyone who asks. That will stiffle innovation.
For sure, I can understand that, but its also your car or piece of equipment.

I'm not asking for it for free, I'll be the first to throw down money to become certified by manufacturers to be able to work on their vehicles, Ferrari and Lamborghini do something along these lines, a workshop the next street along has accreditations from Ferrari and Lamborghini to maintain and work on their vehicles.

If Ford for example ran an accreditation scheme where I could go off and do some training with Ford on certain products, and have my business accredited by Ford for maintenence and repairs on their cars, I'd throw down money for that.
Old 20-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Agree with his assessment of party politics.

Still think someone like Pauline Hanson will be PM within 10 years - probably through a coalition of minor parties and independents.

Not while there is compulsory voting it won't.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Where does it say that?
Old 20-11-2016, 11:10 PM   #22
coo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Unlike MPs elected before 2007 like the former Speaker Bronwyn Bishop, Ricky Muir does not receive a parliamentary pension – a system he says needs reforming. "It should have been retrospective," he says.

"It's a privilege to be elected into the parliament. Like any other job once you're out you shouldn't receive any more remuneration," he says.

But Muir did receive what he describes as a "little boost" – a generous $49,760 "resettlement allowance" granted to departing senators.

The article says he got a single payment of $50k to relocate and no pension.
coo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2016, 11:27 PM   #23
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
What does it actually cost tax payers to have a knuckle head like this sitting in the senate?

He gets 4 or 5 staff and an office, his salary and travel and accom etc. 3 or 4 mill a year? Wasted tax payers dollars...

How many other knuckle heads are there that ARE VOTED IN BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU, assuming you do vote of course.
Old 21-11-2016, 12:21 AM   #24
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Ricky has done quite a bit at a local level for grass roots motor sport and recreational off street driving.
But obviously some of you knuckle draggers know about any of that as you probably get your news from channel 9 or even worse channel 7.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #25
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Ricky has done quite a bit at a local level for grass roots motor sport and recreational off street driving.
But obviously some of you knuckle draggers know about any of that as you probably get your news from channel 9 or even worse channel 7.

C'mon you got get you news from somewhere, please do tell what is the best source of media news, remember now you have left yourself open to be flamed.
Old 21-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #26
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bloke ended up in parliament through no fault of his own.
The system put him in there.
The system also booted him out.
Hopefully the mill that he got himself into works out for him and his family.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #27
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Where does it say that?
My bad, he gets a 50k lump sum kicker for doing nothing.
Old 21-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #28
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
My bad, he gets a 50k lump sum kicker for doing nothing.
Ricky's tenure as a senator for a couple years cost is small time compared to others who really know how to manipulate the political system for monetary gain, I don't begrudge him, I begrudge the bigger *** holes who have been ripping the tax payers for years.
Old 21-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #29
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I begrudge the bigger *** holes who have been ripping the tax payers for years.
Aw come on, at least they say sorry when there caught out....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-2...r-dogs/7969838
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #30
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Aw come on, at least they say sorry when there caught out....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-2...r-dogs/7969838

You got that right, they do say sorry begrudgingly.