Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mate's 2012 Holden SS V Redline Ute

A mate of mine just bought a 2012 Holden SSV Redline Ute to replace his VS. Brought it around yesterday so I could have a look. He got it from Sutton's in Rockdale, sticker price was about $54K I think but he got it for $43 which included reversing camera, GPS, leather, whichever 18inch wheels he wanted, was the grey colour can't remember what its called, manual etc etc.

Was a nice looking ute, I love the one piece body more than the separate tray of the Fords. The wheels he got were polished which I think look out of place on new vehicles, would prefer the matt alloy style. Had a really cool soft tonneau cover which sealed on to the tray in a clip seal sort of way.

Now the reason for this post is, I reckon these utes offer awesome value and look great. I didn't get a chance to drive it but have driven other SS's so i would think the performance and handling would be just as good. What I didn't like was the pretty ordinary interior. Now I assume all redline utes get the red trim inserts which are pretty confronting against the greyish/dark interior. But the worst of it was parts of the dash were red and looked like they had been given a very ordinary vinyl spray job, something similar to what you could do in the backyard. How they think this looks good or even my mate thinks it looks good is beyond me. The interior is not too bad without this "redline" treatment, perhaps some red piping on the seats etc would have been better. It did have a pretty cool SS emblem on the tray wall between the seats.

I think they made a pretty darn good ute look ordinary with this interior. It may appeal to some and that s great, but generally I think it looked cheap and nasty.

On a side note he did get three years of free car washes which I thought was pretty decent. If it was mine I would change the wheels, get rid of the red inserts, lower it and exhaust and it would be perfect.

Cheers,

Clinton

Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Mate's 2012 Holden SS V Redline Ute

I'd rather 3 years of free fuel ... than 3 years of free car washes where someone else is going to rub masses of swirl marks into it and just make a complete mess of my paint work.

The new FGs use a clip-in style flat tonneau ... not loop/hooks anymore.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True, if you were really into cars you would probably wash it yourself. Probably better for the family truckster.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Too bad that one piece side requires replacement if damaged to severe in the right places...

and this means you also need a new roof, part of the front skirt dashboard out etc...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Nice write up Cabbage.

The GM grey is nice, as is the uni body style vs Fords separate tub. Although the Ford tub being removable does add flexibility. VE interiors are rubbish and always have been.

There is a limited edition XR6T at the moment for similar money with Leather, bidder alloys, Sports bar, Sat Nav etc. and it will dust a VE SS.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[/LIST]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Too bad that one piece side requires replacement if damaged to severe in the right places...

and this means you also need a new roof, part of the front skirt dashboard out etc...
Keep going...complete interior out, complete rear suspension out and motor/trans out to complete the job.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

holden or ford.. you buy a new car and youre happy who cares..

and wow how easy that crappy silver painted stuff inside FPVs marks up..

im still happy
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2 main difference with any Ford and Holden I have found. The Fords feel front heavy and the Holdens feel like they are front light.

Because all I drive is mainly Ford getting into a Holden feels funny. But I think each has there own pros and cons.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The one piece body I like the look of purely from a cosmetic point of view. Appreciate that the two piece is far more practical and easy to repair, carry more load etc. The ford and holden utes are pretty good products. I've said this before, they should be in the states as the Ranchero and Elcamino. Americans have an affinity for this style of "truck", heaps of you tube videos of them being restored and being driven around the place.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Gotta agree, the Holden is a great looking ute , SS in particular. The cab is a bit more roomy, I feel more closed in with the Falcon ute.

The XR6T would hose it for sure but if I were in that market I'd find the SS hard to go past.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage
Was a nice looking ute, I love the one piece body more than the separate tray of the Fords.
Clinton
This (and the stupid rear wheel offset) is why I hate the Falcon ute. It's ugly and looks as if it's all a tack on. A Holden Ute body with Falcon Interior and Drive Train = WIN!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
blk6t

I have a SSV ute, not the redline but it's my daily and I enjoy it.

I purchased the Holden ute back in 2010 over the Ford purely because I felt it was a better package, placing brand loyalty aside. Pricing was also a major win for the Holden ute, SSV twin hump hard cover all the tricks and treats for $42k.

But I do prefer the look of a VE SS ute over a Ford ute, especially when they sit lower and have the wheels to compliment. The Ford ute in the B series is my pick of the bunch but the FG just doesn't do it for me, I think it's the rear wheel arches.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I'd rather 3 years of free fuel ... than 3 years of free car washes where someone else is going to rub masses of swirl marks into it and just make a complete mess of my paint work.

The new FGs use a clip-in style flat tonneau ... not loop/hooks anymore.
car wash probably means sprayed on wax, not a polish.

good that they've dropped the loop/hooks, because mine has the hard cover, but the holes were still drilled out, even though it didn't need them, so they filled the holes with plastic clips, which tend to fall out. (lost three in it's first year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t
The Ford ute in the B series is my pick of the bunch
That's the only reason i haven't upgraded yet, the B looks tougher than the FG.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks

There is a limited edition XR6T at the moment for similar money with Leather, bidder alloys, Sports bar, Sat Nav etc. and it will dust a VE SS.
............but it's not a V8. And for that reason, if I were in the position to buy another V8 ute at the moment, I'd be off to pick up a VE.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the Fords have better wheels at the moment. The XR mag wheels look tops.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

This is what love about ford forums- die hard ford fans that can appreciate a nice car and its features reguardless of the brand.
Its a shame how many other people cannot enjoy or appreciate a car purely because its an opposition brand.

I myself can appreciate a nice car reguardles of the brand. I love the ba series to bits (owned two now) and think the VE series are a great car too look at and drive.

Ps I just bought a commodore ute lol
Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
............but it's not a V8. And for that reason, if I were in the position to buy another V8 ute at the moment, I'd be off to pick up a VE.
+1 here.

I'm sure the XRT would be faster, smoother blah blah blah. But a 6 litre V8 with a decent interior, great looks and a tough as nails 6 speed box would get me every day of the week. And they are fantastic value for money.

However, bring back the XR8 in maybe N/A Coyote guise and problem solved.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #18
IDT
Marko

the VE Utes look pretty but the one piece is outshone when a custom tray, that is colour matched, is put on a FG. I have seen few getting around lately and think they are a much better option. The blind spots on the VE ute make it a farce to reverse, even when you turn to look out the back window, as well which is not a good thing for what is ultimately a commercial. So FG with a drop side tray would be my choice.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
RASER
Banned

Bit to early, should have waited till the VF comes out early 2013, that will be a BIG step up from the current VE and a larger 6.3 V8 to boot

Still no F150 though....
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDT
the VE Utes look pretty but the one piece is outshone when a custom tray, that is colour matched, is put on a FG. I have seen few getting around lately and think they are a much better option. The blind spots on the VE ute make it a farce to reverse, even when you turn to look out the back window, as well which is not a good thing for what is ultimately a commercial. So FG with a drop side tray would be my choice.
Drive a 90s hatch then hop into a Territory or late model falcon..

Around right hand corners in the Territory (old model) you might as well be blind folded, with the giant mirrors and the thick pillars lol.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post