Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Default Foreign Currency Exchange

I need to get some currency changed to US Dollar and want to know where is the best place in Melbourne to exchange it?
I want to exchange it while the American dollar is still pretty high and I don't want to go through my travel agent as their fees are shocking.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jack

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not a silly idea, steer clear of the travel agents and airport, do a bit of a phone arround depending on how much you want, your local bank may be able to do you right

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try ANZ bank, I usually go through them and they offer to change your remaining USD back to AUD free of charge after your trip (keep the receipt). But any currency exchange will shaft you anyway.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
Try ANZ bank, I usually go through them and they offer to change your remaining USD back to AUD free of charge after your trip (keep the receipt). But any currency exchange will shaft you anyway.
Not wrong there!!... I know this is pretty trivial, but 2 weeks ago I traveled to NZ for work. Thought I'd better have a few NZ $ even though I put everything on company Visa. I changed $150Au at ANZ, received $167Nz.
On return 3 days later (with receipt) I changed what I had left.. $150Nz and received $113 Au
So, that $17Nz I'd spent on 3 beers, in reality cost $37Au!... Trivial as I said, but what if we put 2 or 3 zeros on the end??
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

strouth you would have been better going to the ATM and taken a 50 out in NZ and keepen the chaing till next time

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Bank is often best - especially if they have the currency in stock. ANZ and St George I have had the most success with - But figuring how to ring the Branch can be fun !
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
SBR_1
soon to be a McDonald :D

U also might be able to get the amount sent to your local bank.I know both my parents work in the bank dad in the major one in the city mum in a local one.All they need to do is all and they send what they have,they normaly call round other branches to, untill they have the amount you need.
Old 15-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I rang around a few of the major banks today..Fees for exchanging cash can be really high. NAB was the worst!

We ended up going to the ANZ as they had USD at the branch and could get it at today's exchange rate. NAB would have to order it in and it would take 5 days and the rate would be set on the day it arrived at the branch. Bit of a gamble if the dollar drops but ok if it goes up! Didn't want to take the risk.
Old 16-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have online banking, sometimes the bank will do a deal and not charge any fees on currency ordered online, also checkout your local post office, they do American Express travellers checks commission free. Remember to spend all you take, don't bring any back as you will lose out when you convert back.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just dont leave it till you are at the airport, crazy fees theres.
Old 17-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
If you have online banking, sometimes the bank will do a deal and not charge any fees on currency ordered online, also checkout your local post office, they do American Express travellers checks commission free. Remember to spend all you take, don't bring any back as you will lose out when you convert back.
I dont think there will be any to bring back knowing my spending so conversion on the way back is not going to be an issue

Thanks everyone for your advice. Jack and I appreciate it. 10 days to go! :
Old 17-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Take $A to LA, exchange it there. The same exhorbitant rate they give you in our airports is reversed over there, as they have less of it. I never exchange currency here, last week I was paid US$ 1.08 per Australian Dollar at LAX. Also, your ATM card will work over there, and you get a better rate than exchanging currency or travellers cheques.

Quote: