Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
I_Con
Formally known as "Con G"

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Whats The Worst Job You've Ever Had?

Just went to the bank and saw the sorry security guard standing there staring off into space, and I shuddered at the thought of having to do that all day.

So, whats the worst job you've ever had? Mines nothing to exciting, service station attendant.

If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Click here to see my Territory Pics.
Click here to see my Navara Pics

I_Con is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
mowog
Discovery 4

www.gooptroop.com

Picking crap from the insides of F111's
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Working at a timber mill. Basically you wear a raincoat while working to keep all the water/moisture off you but it's not very effective. You still get saturated. I told them to shove it pretty quickly. If I wanted to be wet while working I'd have been a life guard ;)

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

My first job was working Fruit and Veg at a Supermarket.
I then started the job I'm doing now, and I haven't looked back.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Newspaper run, heaps of papers to deliver, crap all money.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Picking raspberries and blackberries in a dirty field for a toothless yokel, surrounded by illigal immigrant and non-english speaking workers that sang in unisen in their own language for the grand total of 20c per punnet (I was told it was $1.20, which would have been good money) in 38+ degree heat.... In a field with absolutely no shade.

First pay cheque came through after a week... 120 bucks. Told them where they could shove THAT job right there and then.

Ironically I made a friggin fortune picking grapes not long after that job... so don"t write off fruit picking too quickly!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I've seen the very punnet's I picked for sale in supermarkets for over $7... nothing like slave labour.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I used to sand back lead paint houses. It was my **** if anyone else so much as saw lead paint dust but i used to cough a ton of the **** up every night
Old 09-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

My 1st job working at Clean up guy at the local butchers, only after school work but still got used by the owner (Got their early to make my job easier, but kept getting more jobs to do for it and i wasn't getting paid for the extra time!), left on good terms after about 18months.

Hated the job, $100 a week, while not much, i saved hard and here i am with my XR8 today...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sail cutter.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

working as a cleaner in mum's medical centre.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Driveway Attendant at a servo.

Yes, driveway. Wasn't allowed to touch the cash register...
Old 09-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #12
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Articled clerk in a law firm. 70+ hour week (6-7 days), abuse from clients and partners, $26k a year. Never again.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #13
bob^
LPS

Work experience at an autoelec as part of my CertII in electronics. I spent the week watching an apprentice rebuild starter motors and alternators, whilst I washed parts all day in the kero basin with no gloves.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Bunnings Trolley Boy....God that sucked...30+ degree heat, 90% humidity, in the sun all day...
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #15
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

The job I'm still doing now. Almost 7 years on.

Systems Operator for Woolworths. I do all the ticketing you see on the shelves and make sure all the registers, computers and RF units are working.

I want out. I have 14 weeks holidays saved because theres no one trained to do my job if I'm not there, so I have all the stuff that isn't done to come back and catch up on as well as all the new stuff.

I've had more than enough of it and I can't wait to leave and go work for my Dad finally.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #16
The Monty
Just slidin'

Asbesto removal, unqualified, and without proper protection, on a roof, 40 degree heat, and fully clothed in long sleeves, pants and a suit. Was $20 an hour, and I made $1150 in a week, but quit after the first week. Stuff that.

Or my last job, up tpo 70 hours a week making mince....

Nope other one is worse.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #17
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Trolley Colector :
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #18
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

My first job was a shelf stacker...wasn't actually too bad...we had some great laughs there...then went to work in a Karting Center (the biggest in Scotland) which was one fantastic job!!!
Now I'm an avionics technician/systems administrator....and loving it....
Old 09-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Asbesto removal, unqualified, and without proper protection, on a roof, 40 degree heat, and fully clothed in long sleeves, pants and a suit. Was $20 an hour, and I made $1150 in a week, but quit after the first week. Stuff that.
my worst job was similar....

roof insulation contractor. i stuck it out for about a month before saying...screw this.

think 40 degrees outside, 50+ inside the roof, full overalls/dust masks, and you get the pictire.....

was DAMN hot work, black roofs are the worst!
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #20
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Working in my uncle's mortuary in my school holidays..Scarred me for life.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #21
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
The job I'm still doing now. Almost 7 years on.

Systems Operator for Woolworths. I do all the ticketing you see on the shelves and make sure all the registers, computers and RF units are working.

I want out. I have 14 weeks holidays saved because theres no one trained to do my job if I'm not there, so I have all the stuff that isn't done to come back and catch up on as well as all the new stuff.

I've had more than enough of it and I can't wait to leave and go work for my Dad finally.
another employee thats wants to leave woolies i'm with u man, once my car loan is done i'm out of there.
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #22
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Cleaner (part time) at Noosa Heads Bowls Club... Particularly after their few failed attemps a running a drop in/dance party 'till 3am... Strong tummy required some times...
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM T
Cleaner (part time) at Noosa Heads Bowls Club... Particularly after their few failed attemps a running a drop in/dance party 'till 3am... Strong tummy required some times...
oldies wouldnt spew up that much would they? would be the falsies in the middle you'd have to look out for.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #24
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had heaps... worst 2:
1. restumping a house. Trying to dig a half metre deep hole, while working in only a half metre of space under the house! I'm 6'1 tall and about 100kg... do the math...

2. Working on a assembly line. It was my job to put the little dome thingy on top of the horse-riding helmut as it came along. Mass boredom... I asked to go to the can, got the supervisor to fill in and shot the gap, pretty dam quick!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #25
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
oldies wouldnt spew up that much would they? would be the falsies in the middle you'd have to look out for.
Nar club nights were all kids mate. But you'd be surprised how grotty the members end was after a tournament. And the oldies always missed.... LOL
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #26
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Worked at a cinema run by a pervert named S.C. Ford. That bastard scarred me for life. I am still trying to catch up with him.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #27
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
Trolley Colector :
Yeah that was my first job. (When I was 18)

I hate how trolley collectors get paid ***** money, while people that stand around all day, checking bags coming out of places like Big W and stuff, probably get paid money.

It wouldnt've been so bad, if there was a decent wage, but that's mainly why I hated doing it.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #28
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Back in the 80's i was a labourer for a Blacksmith in Cairns, working with a furnace all day wearing a boiler suit in Cairns humidity was not my idea of a career.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb
Working in my uncle's mortuary in my school holidays..Scarred me for life.

How can anyone work in a Mortuary, or drive a mortuary transport vehicle for that matter?

Worse job ive ever done is stacking fruit in one of our shops, did it for a few years when i was at school, working every saturday and sunday in the shop, it was boring and hard being on your feet all day.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #30
Falchoon

Not a job I actually had but I applied unsuccessfully for one at the Sewerage Treatment Plant. The job entailed literally standing knee-deep in sh!t and shovelling it all day. Can't say I was very dissapointed not to get it. I couldn't believe how complex the job application and interview process was for such a basic job.

Another job that I did actually have for a short while was driving a Mr Whippy truck! Got sick of the Greensleeves tune rather quickly. Had some good fringe benefits like all the ice cream you could eat for $0! The boss would give me a map and say this is where you are going. The more upmarket the suburb, the less takings I would get. Go to the less affluent areas and I would have people lined up around the block to buy ice cream and would run out of some products. After a couple of months I was sacked because the boss reckoned I over revved the van (LWB V4 Transit that had never been serviced and was about 100 years old). The thing was farqued and was only running on 3 cylinders, I told him before I left that it was running rough but he insisted I go out in it. Couldn't get up the hill to the suburb I was supposed to go to so went back to the depot and the boss cracked the sh!ts. Catch ya later buddy. Used to cost me about $10 in petrol to earn $30 - on a Sunday. I was desperate for work but not that desperate.

Another job that I started but left after one shift was a console operator at a busy servo. They expected to take money from my pay for any drive-offs or till or stock discrepencies. Bugger that.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post