Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Foreign-assembled CKD Australian cars Holden/Ford

http://performancedrive.com.au/top-1...not-know-1901/

Researching for this article, it was interesting to find that Holden had such an enormous presence exporting CKD kits at one stage.

Did Ford ever export CKD Fairlanes and Falcons to overseas countries besides New Zealand? or Laser, Capri, Telstar panels?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Re: Foreign-assembled CKD Australian cars Holden/Ford

I've been in China for work for a few years, and I see the VY - VE Statesman around a little bit. Not a very popular car. When asked why most will say 1) it's American and too big; 2) it's American and it's too bad on fuel; 3) it's American and the engine is too big (referring to the tiny V6 as they pay rego based on engine size); 4) it's American and it's not an Audi, BMW or Mercedes so the price is too high.

No matter how much I try and convince anyone it's Australian they just don't believe me. Mind you I could take them into the Holden assembly plant and they'd still not understand it's Australian.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.facebook.com/TheBritishH...4235824576792/

There's an EB Falcon that can be seen in the background in this video, filmed in Hong Kong.

Not sure if they were CKD and assembled there, or (more likely) shipped over from Australia, though. I know AUs had been shipped over for taxi trials, and I remember seeing an XD there twenty odd years ago, but never an EB.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I actually came across one of those VS Commodore / Statesman hybrids once in Malaysia. Suprised to see a Holden on the side of the road in a little villiage.

There was talk at one stage to bring out a local higher trim level Caprice with the interior embellishments (reclining and massaging back seats, etc) of the Buick Park Avenue program with a price above 80k, but once the **** fell out of large cars that idea was shelved.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
http://performancedrive.com.au/top-1...not-know-1901/

Researching for this article, it was interesting to find that Holden had such an enormous presence exporting CKD kits at one stage.

Did Ford ever export CKD Fairlanes and Falcons to overseas countries besides New Zealand? or Laser, Capri, Telstar panels?
G'day...Not sure if they were exported directly or if they were assembled there but South Africa springs to mind...and the U.K. at one time I believe..I know Nizpro had a tie in there too with exported British Falcons too...Re NZ , they were also built there in the 1970's...Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VUrNWRY7dw Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes Ford did, South Africa for one.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , I admit this is not directly on topic but it's fun to look at...
While I was looking for the link on Ford assembled XA Falcons in N.Z. I came across this little gem from the 1950's from the USA ....Makes you wonder if any of this still happens at all 60 plus years on.Bird dogging especially .I suppose we called it Spotting .Enjoy if you get a chance to look at it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvY7ZwZ3mr4

Here's the Nizpro Falcon export stuff to the U.K. report from a while back...Not sure how many ended up there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bEe-rXaZ_w .. Cheers Rod...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Not CKD but complete cars

http://www.safairmontgt.com.au/

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
I've been in China for work for a few years, and I see the VY - VE Statesman around a little bit. Not a very popular car. When asked why most will say 1) it's American and too big; 2) it's American and it's too bad on fuel; 3) it's American and the engine is too big (referring to the tiny V6 as they pay rego based on engine size); 4) it's American and it's not an Audi, BMW or Mercedes so the price is too high.

No matter how much I try and convince anyone it's Australian they just don't believe me. Mind you I could take them into the Holden assembly plant and they'd still not understand it's Australian.
Not any better here , you could have taken joe average out who knows nothing about cars to the Ford factory and they would insist Falcon is an American car. And you could fly a one eyed Holden fanatic to Korea to the Daewoo plant and show him the Barina, Cruze and Craptiva being built before his eyes and he will return home and swear black and blue that all three cars are Australian . Perception is everything to the public.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post