Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Former Holden boss Mike Devereux to kill Commodore name when local production ends in 2017

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/business/c...Top+Stories%29

Quote:
HOLDEN is poised to kill the Commodore name once local production comes to an end in 2017 — and the man in charge of the decision is the same person who vowed to save it: former Holden boss Mike Devereux.

The decision comes as the next generation large car to replace the Commodore is now expected to come from Europe not China.

Holden is pleading with General Motors executives to keep the Commodore name because it is so iconic, but the request has fallen on deaf ears.

Last edited by Auslandau; 19-06-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: More info would be good
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Former Holden boss Mike Devereux to kill Commodore name when local production ends in 2017

This - "But others may welcome the move given that every car that has worn the Commodore badge so far was an Australian-made rear-wheel-drive sedan, whereas the next model will be a foreign-made front-wheel-drive sedan."

I agree with that. Commodore has a personality as a RWD car, a race car, a muscle car, a family car, a V8. The name should die with the end of production and be remembered fondly for what it was. Introduction of an Opel with FWD and a V6 or 4cyl will destroy Commodore's legacy. Especially if that Opel ends up being a Daewoo down the track.

It would be an absolute mistake to stop using the name "Holden" though.
Old 19-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 
Default Re: Former Holden boss Mike Devereux to kill Commodore name when local production ends in 2017

Daewoo does not exist as a vehicle manufacturer anymore. They are all Chevrolet vehicles now. Wouldn't surprise me if they changed to GM Chevrolet.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Nova 8

I don't want to see some generic worldwide fwd badged as a commodore. Let the commodore badge die when it is no longer being produced in elizabeth.
Old 19-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

“But when executives from North America come out to Australia, they take photos of Chevrolet badges that people have fitted to their Holden (cars), and use that against us.”

LOL...the Irony!
Old 19-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Commode hasn't been an Australian Car since the Kingswood.
Bastardised hodge-podge from the GM global grab-bag.

And seriously could not care less. They too have screwed over the Aussie worker, doesn't matter what colour you paint the broomstick.

Think I'll go find myself a P76 and restore that.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

And seriously could not care less. They too have screwed over the Aussie worker, doesn't matter what colour you paint the broomstick.

Wow

that's a right up there post
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
buickman
buickman

Barlow's Holden in Springvale RD Mulgrave have the Blue GM sign under the Holden sign might not be only the Commodore name that disappears. I've only noticed that in the last couple of months
Old 19-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
Vormund

The Blue GM logo has been on Holden dealers for a while actually, it's nothing new.

Anyway, I do think that ditching the name is the right decision. (It really has a whiff of bogan about it too)
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman View Post
Barlow's Holden in Springvale RD Mulgrave have the Blue GM sign under the Holden sign might not be only the Commodore name that disappears. I've only noticed that in the last couple of months
The same blue GM sign that has been there on every dealer sign for years??

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 19-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
stevesxr

But GMH have been putting commodore badges on Opel's for years, why the sudden change?

Jk
stevesxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
The same blue GM sign that has been there on every dealer sign for years??
My eyes must be painted on. I've not taken notice until recently shows how many times I look at dealerships signage
Old 19-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesxr View Post

But GMH have been putting commodore badges on Opel's for years, why the sudden change? Jk
A slight correction required there...

GMH have been putting HOLDEN badges on Commodores for years !

The first (VB style) Aust. Commodore was derived from an Opel Commodore (the I6 version of the 4cyl Opel Rekord) Europe had it a year before we did. GMH had to modify the platform to take local running gear etc.

Since then... (very basically) every model Aust. Commodore (up until VE) has been based (even partially sometimes) on a European Opel/Vauxhaul variant... modified to some degree by local GMH Engineers. BTW... I'm not wanting to understate their substantial input & efforts here either... just noting where the Aust. Commodore gets it's origins from.

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #14
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Most keys have had the GM logo on them since the dawn of time.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 12:12 AM   #15
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mike's name is mud. Who would trust anything he says.
The Commodore replacement will still have Australian engineered Holden badges and glue so I can't see why the name can't continue.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #16
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

My tip...the Holden name will die post 2017 too. Chevrolet has much more street cred anyway....evidenced by the numerous Holden fanboys who would rather be driving another brand of car given the bowtie on their vehicle.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 12:59 AM   #17
Vormund

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
My tip...the Holden name will die post 2017 too. Chevrolet has much more street cred anyway....evidenced by the numerous Holden fanboys who would rather be driving another brand of car given the bowtie on their vehicle.
If they do this, I am predicting they will do this gradually. They could start selling the next Chevrolet Impala as a Caprice replacement through Holden dealerships but retain the Chevy badge.

If the report is correct as well, the Commodore replacement will probably be the next Opel Insignia. Who knows GM could be looking at Chevy/Opel dealerships here. note: I personally think Opel would have done much better here if they didn't do separate dealerships here and just simply sold all Opels through Holden...at least to get it off the ground to start with.
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #18
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

Seems a bit harsh. Can you please explain how they have screwed over the Aussie worker?

Seems to me that if the Aussie worker (end everyone else in Australia) won't buy Aussie made cars, then how can they go on producing them? I wonder what you think of Ford, in the same context. And Toyota. And Mitsubishi. And Nissan.

Wander around the carparks at Elizabeth or Broadmeadows and see what percentage of the cars there are Australian made. I worked at Ford Geelong 25 years ago, and even then the volume was only about 40%.

Find me a business, in any industry, that keeps making products at a loss just so they can avoid screwing their workers. That philosophy will quickly have everyone's kids starving.

The main culprits, the ones who have truly screwed over the worker, are both the major political parties, their free trade agreements, and their reluctance to support manufacturing. Their subservience to China and the USA have killed our exports, and their fleet car policies have killed the local manufacturing demand.

The government will tell you that manufacturing is dead, Asia can do it cheaper and we have to be smarter. If manufacturing is such a drain on the economy, how come South Korea are so good and prosperous at it (a country with wages and living conditions similar to ours). How did China end up being the richest and most progressive nation on earth? Yep, manufacturing stuff is for dummies.
Old 20-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
I6DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888 View Post
Find me a business, in any industry, that keeps making products at a loss just so they can avoid screwing their workers. That philosophy will quickly have everyone's kids starving.

The main culprits, the ones who have truly screwed over the worker, are both the major political parties, their free trade agreements, and their reluctance to support manufacturing. Their subservience to China and the USA have killed our exports, and their fleet car policies have killed the local manufacturing demand.

The government will tell you that manufacturing is dead, Asia can do it cheaper and we have to be smarter. If manufacturing is such a drain on the economy, how come South Korea are so good and prosperous at it (a country with wages and living conditions similar to ours). How did China end up being the richest and most progressive nation on earth? Yep, manufacturing stuff is for dummies.
Spot on.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #20
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wander around the carparks at Elizabeth or Broadmeadows and see what percentage of the cars there are Australian made. I worked at Ford Geelong 25 years ago, and even then the volume was only about 40%.
The workers screwing over themselves!

People seem to forget that "Commodore" was a name brought in from Germany with a car model, just as "Falcon" was a name brought in from America with a car model. It's all just a marketing game, not about national "icons".
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #21
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone think hsv are crap talking and will die in the **** too ?
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #22
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
The workers screwing over themselves!

People seem to forget that "Commodore" was a name brought in from Germany with a car model, just as "Falcon" was a name brought in from America with a car model. It's all just a marketing game, not about national "icons".
No it isn't. It's about support for locally made products falling to such a low ebb that they are no longer sustainable.

All the names of all the cars are brought in from overseas. Falcon in 1962, Commodore in 1978. Corolla in (around) 1976, and there's not many others dating back that far. This point is irrelevant.

And no, it's not about the "workers screwing over themselves" unless you consider that "the workers" is the entire population of this country, their two dimensional voting patterns, and their blind subservience to the dollar.
Old 20-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #23
bungarra

Quote:
Wrong, it was never known as Commodore in Europe. It was the Opel Rekford Series E. In the UK it was known as The Carlton.

Commodore was an Australian name.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #24
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra View Post
Wrong, it was never known as Commodore in Europe. It was the Opel Rekford Series E. In the UK it was known as The Carlton.

Commodore was an Australian name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Commodore

Quote:
No it isn't. It's about support for locally made products falling to such a low ebb that they are no longer sustainable.
I'm talking about the brand names. Brand naming is a marketing game.

Not many local names that I can recall - Kingswood/Belmont, Kimberley/Tasman/P76, Territory. Perhaps others can recall more.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #25
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep the name. It is going to be designed here, engineered at Lang Lang; at least keep some continuity from our history. Otherwise the lineup is ubrecognisable. Dowling is full of ****, why does Mike Deveraux have a say? He's not CEO anymore.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #26
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm talking about the brand names. Brand naming is a marketing game.

Not many local names that I can recall - Kingswood/Belmont, Kimberley/Tasman/P76, Territory. Perhaps others can recall more.
Kingswood wasn't ours either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Kingswood
Old 20-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #27
BlueOvalPrint

Quote:

Camira, Torana, Adventra, Centura...
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing like a wiki battle to sort an e fight

bye bye Commodore RIP just like our Falcon

would pull my pants down for an early model Brock in the shed

srs
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #29
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
would pull my pants down for an early model Brock in the shed

srs
OMG! Quick, lock the thread
Old 20-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #30
pearlhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
would pull my pants down for an early model brock in the shed

srs
not in front of the children!
pearlhead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post