Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post CAR maker Holden has launched a new advertising campaign to shore up support

CAR maker Holden has launched a new advertising campaign to shore up support for the brand in the wake of the decision to quit local production by the end of 2017.

The campaign will run over the next two weeks and will feature on radio, television, outdoor advertising, in print and on digital platforms.

Executive director of vehicle sales Philip Brook says it aims to ensure customers understand the Holden brand will remain in Australia.

"Over the next four years we have hundreds of thousands of world-class cars and engines to build locally and sell," he said in a statement on Friday.

"Beyond that time, we will be offering world-class cars sourced for Australia from General Motors' global network."

The campaign will involve Holden customers and workers along with sporting identities who the company says volunteered their time including Collingwood star Scott Pendlebury, national netball representative Sharelle McMahon and V8 Supercars driver Garth Tander.

Holden's decision to end local car production will mean the loss of about 2900 jobs across its South Australian assembly operations and Victorian engine plant and engineering operations.

It remains unclear what impact the decision will have on domestic sales with the first figures since the announcement not to be released until the new year.
http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...-1226787557699
My Comment : Why cann't FORD do the same ???? No wonder **** sells!!!!

Old 21-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Default Re: CAR maker Holden has launched a new advertising campaign to shore up support

GMH make an advertising campaign about closing down.....Ford just put their heads back in the sand!!
Old 21-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: CAR maker Holden has launched a new advertising campaign to shore up support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales View Post
GMH make an advertising campaign about closing down.....Ford just put their heads back in the sand!!
True, yet I don't think the ad works, in principal its a good idea (maybe too soon) but it smacks of desperation to me.
Old 21-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
True, yet I don't think the ad works, in principal its a good idea (maybe too soon) but it smacks of desperation to me.
Better than sitting on your hands and doing nothing.
Old 21-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't show desperation to me, shows that even though they can't make them here anymore, the brand will be here still.

Sent via HTC Velocity 4G + [HolicsROM v1.3] [Sweep2WAKE]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Seems there already has been excessive amount of money spent on Holden advertising at the moment and recently, judging by the high number of Holden ads seen on TV, and now another advertising campaign.

Hopefully Holden is getting their moneys worth with all the money spent on their advertising. Its probably the subsidies from the govt being used up advertising their Korean made cars. Stuff local manufacture.
Old 21-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So when people are looking at buying a car in 3 years time this ad will still have relevance, hardly.
I'm sure the Holden workers take solace in this commercial.

Time for Toyota to release a made in Australia ad.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Byooty

Now that its going to be an overseas built car why would you hold onto the loyalty for a Holden THE AUSTRALIAN CAR.

If you are a Holden fan and its built overseas any overseas model would do surely?

I really cant see Holden holding onto the fan base.
Old 21-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Deleted. Doubled post sorry.
Old 21-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
stevz
Banned

Well they still have their current sales to protect, and people aren't going to buy if they lose confidence in the brand's future.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Byooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
people aren't going to buy if they lose confidence in the brand's future.
Bit late for that dont you think? , same with Ford too.
Old 21-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Kemosabe
Cursin' Kirsons

I'm saddened to see this happen to Holden too now, but why should our government pitch in and help our local production out... well hmm how did South Korea become so prosperous of a country through the hard times over the past decades ... ... ...investment into local industry, well I guess we will just keep digging our money out of the ground and rely only on that!
Old 21-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
Time for Toyota to release a made in Australia ad.
Most people probably think toyotas come straight off the boat from Japan, so Toyota don't have that stigma as much as Holden does.

Quote:
but why should our government pitch in and help our local production out.
hmm, because the govt helped set them up?
Old 21-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my mates is in that ad a couple of times (apprentice at Holden). Simple but effective ad
Old 21-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byooty View Post
Now that its going to be an overseas built car why would you hold onto the loyalty for a Holden THE AUSTRALIAN CAR.

If you are a Holden fan and its built overseas any overseas model would do surely?

I really cant see Holden holding onto the fan base.
Holden 2.0 will be hoping to build a fairly new fan base down the track imo, the question is how much time will GM give Holden this time post 2017? Their future car line up will be critical, so will be pricing, equipment levels, quality control etc. I wish em all the best, their destiny is truly in their own hands now.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 21-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
Byooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
how did South Korea become so prosperous of a country through the hard times over the past decades ... ... ...investment into local industry,
The base wage in South Korea was way below the rest of the world thats how they got on, same as China and India now, next in line will be Africa and South America.

The prosperous countries have run their course and will be in decline from now on unless they have some dirt to sell to the lowest bidder.
Old 21-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
JG33

A Holden fan will always be a Holden fan no matter where it's built. Over the years Holden has badged foreign built cars as their own, people still bought them.
Old 21-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
One of my mates is in that ad a couple of times (apprentice at Holden). Simple but effective ad
I actually don't think it's a good ad and I don't think it will be effective.

Repeating 16 times some variant of "We're here to stay" interjected by some bullshit spin that their imported cars are made "for Australians."

What a load of nonsense!
5 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Should just rename themselves "The ****** Korean import company", at least Hyundai/Kia are half decent, Daewoo are horrible.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #20
BHDOGS
Banned

What a **** load Of ****
4 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #21
quickzx
BA XR6 Ute

Pretty bad ad, the brand may be here to stay but that doesn't do anything for Australia's work force
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Meh, I don't think this will do any more than reassure the Holden brass that their own jobs are safe for now.

Everyone else in Australia sees the emperor's new clothes and no longer believes the Holden speil

Ford and Holden manufacturing are leaving in 2016 and 2017, not tomorrow . So if people want to support jobs then go buy one.
6 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #23
XW-BAXR6T

This pretty much says what they are doing " We will still be an Australian brand, just outsourcing for cheaper labour from over seas"

Nick.
Old 22-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #24
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Its smart. Fact is there is alot of people who seem to believe that Holden and Ford are leaving Australia all together, this lets those people know that Holden are staying around.
Old 22-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
What a **** load Of ****
AVGN quote, lol.
Old 22-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #26
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fact is that your average car buyer doesn’t give a crap, and Holden owners are by definition worse than average. (These are the clowns who flocked to a bodgied Opel body with a 20 year old Buick engine wedged in.)
Marketing is about altering the perceptions of people who can’t be bothered discovering the facts.
Ask your average joe on the streets, and they probably believe that Holden is an Australian company, and that everything with a Holden badge is Australian designed and built. Ask joe what he thinks the recent headlines mean, and it would be that there will be no more Holdens sold in Australia. If Joe watches the ad, he will be reassured that all Holdens will continue to be made in Australia.
And when he buys his new (imported, FWD, 4 cyl) Commode, he will be comforted to know that it is identical to the one that won Bathurst.
5 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #27
Byooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
And when he buys his new (imported, FWD, 4 cyl) Commode, he will be comforted to know that it is identical to the one that won Bathurst.
Very funny and prolly true.....
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #28
Squish

I noticed that in the ad is says that Holden has been here for over 100 years. Now it was my belief that holden didn't start until the 40's? Am I wrong or are they referring to GM as a whole?
Old 22-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
monzie

100 years !! that would make the 1914 model Holden as rare as rocking horse do do.

Last edited by monzie; 22-12-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 22-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #30
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love how they've got some design engineer (who are all about to go as well) finishing the ad.

It's a crock, but there's no telling those that think a lion on the hood that can be replaced by a bowtie is aspirational. They'll lap it up.
Closed Thread