Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Holden Nationalised?

Just heard Ross Greenwood and Alan Jones talking on the radio about the almost "done deal" status of the federal government looking to buy out Holden from the failed GM parent.
Apparently, this has been on the cards for some time and they have been exhaustively (in Rudds case it means about 10 seconds of thought) looking into the potential public voter backlash should they buy out the ailing Holden.

What is genuinely concerning though, is the potential rivers of taxpayer cash splashed around Holden for R&D, gifting Holden an albeit unfair comparitive advantage. Whilst painfully aware of the potential ramifications of Holden closure on Fords part suppliers, surely there must be a better solution than nationalisation when we as a nation are already in hock to the Chinese government up to 300 billion through stimulus and other packages. Is this what we want part of the 300 billion spent on? Better yet, as we as a nation will be paying back over 500 billion to the chinese in the next 30 odd years, do we want part of that debt to be Holden?

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe FIAT can buy Holden!!!! They are in talks to buy GM Europe !
Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
KITBAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
do we want part of that debt to be Holden?

NO WAY
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The people's republic of Australia will have the "peoples" car now...

Old 05-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

God help us all.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm off to New Zealand....
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
ltd
Force Fed Fords

What gets me here is the number of conflicts of interest this would pose. For example, would the federal and state governments buy solely Holden vehicles for their fleets? Would there be extra special tax sweeteners on Holden purchases? Would there be a potential influence on government policy with Holden in mind? Would delegates from the government oversee Holdens operations or even represent Holden at meetings with various heads of governments from across the world? Would Holden after being given favourable trading conditions be made to contribute rivers of cash to ALP coffers just as several building companies in NSW have been?

Seriously, this is a dumb move by a dumb government voted for by dumb people. DUMB.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
.........when we as a nation are already in hock to the Chinese government up to 300 billion through stimulus and other packages. Is this what we want part of the 300 billion spent on? Better yet, as we as a nation will be paying back over 500 billion to the chinese in the next 30 odd years, do we want part of that debt to be Holden?
I'm sadly lacking when it comes to understanding the $300b federal spend/borrowings figure quoted. I'd really appreciate it if you could reveal the composition?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

How about someone provide some firm evidence of this occurring as opposed to knee jerk opposition.

I can find nothing about this happening on any of the news sites.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Alan Jones - that's a credible source right there.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Alan Jones - that's a credible source right there.
+1 smells like BS and Alan Jones is one of the nation's biggest douchebags.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Bs..!!!!
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Wally, the Rudd govt. already borrowed 200 billion for all the stimulus packages, now upon releasing a third they have borrowed another 100 billion from the same Chinese source (the reason for the secret meeting in Canberra). Simply put, 200 plus 100 equals 300. If you want proof, look up Hansard where Wayne Swan, Turnbull and Rudd argue about it. Funnily enough, after incurring the biggest debt in Australias history they actually have the stupidity to call it a "Temporary Deficit".
Here's an un-editorialised reference to the news, there are however other countless references on the net, but with opinions attached.
http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...icleid/3205654

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Absolute BS. Ive got my pulse on this and their is no way the government is going to nataionalise Holden. END OF STORY

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have not borrowed that amount yet... that is the limit set should we need to borrow more money...

the stimulus packages have been 42 billion and 10 billion... no where near your quoted 200 billion...

and on topic.... yeah.. i call BS on this story as well... it will never happen
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #16
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Well, Ross Greenwood for starters. He's a finance guru with alot of treasury connections and is rather apolitical, I'm pretty sure that if he felt comfortable enough to go public with the story, there must be some gravitas to it.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Wally, the Rudd govt. already borrowed 200 billion for all the stimulus packages, now upon releasing a third they have borrowed another 100 billion from the same Chinese source (the reason for the secret meeting in Canberra). Simply put, 200 plus 100 equals 300. If you want proof, look up Hansard where Wayne Swan, Turnbull and Rudd argue about it. Funnily enough, after incurring the biggest debt in Australias history they actually have the stupidity to call it a "Temporary Deficit".
Here's an un-editorialised reference to the news, there are however other countless references on the net, but with opinions attached.
I did a bit of ferretting myself and also found the source seems to be the Australian Newspaper making it's own news. As I understand it, the figure is a secured ceiling for use in the event funds are needed, not actual borrowings and spends, although all will be revealed when the budget paper is read.

I also had a looksee at the Green Car innovation Fund to see if there was any bias to Holden, but the details are sketchy.

I can't see the Govt would buy into Holden. Maybe the future fund would to offset it's poor performing taxpayer funded 2 billion shares in Telstra.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Here's a little foray into the topic from November last year.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/st...sm_ate_itself/

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #19
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Could you post link to said Hansard of which you speak.

Also http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...8-7583,00.html
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Just heard Ross Greenwood and Alan Jones talking on the radio
Ye gods, do people still listen to Alan Jones!!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What the hell are you all whinging about???

The Kevin Rudd commodore?

So incredibly slow that you are never sure it is actually moving
ridiculously expensive with extra costs added randomly.
Will only work 3-4 days a week at odd hours and only in suburbs or towns that are nowhere near your house.
Wanders off in strange directions for no understandable reason
Only goes for a short time before it fails and then a you have to get a whole new one the is better than the old one even though it seems exactly the same but with new blinkers.
Has at least 4 steering wheels because it requires a commitee to make any operational decissions.
The first one will be delivered a week after the replacement model is announced.
Halfway though the production it will be scrapped but all the deposits paid will be kept and used for "anti binge driving education".
The drivers manual will be available in Mandarin, Shanghaiese AND Cantonese with an english translation service available for a small fee on 1900 KEVSMATES.

BUT, it will look good on TV........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #22
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
we have not borrowed that amount yet... that is the limit set should we need to borrow more money...

the stimulus packages have been 42 billion and 10 billion... no where near your quoted 200 billion...

and on topic.... yeah.. i call BS on this story as well... it will never happen

Um, I think you'll find that that's 43 billion for stimulus 2, and 11.8 for stuimulus 1. Further, there's the 47 billion for the internet thing, 24 billion for the carbon credits thing, and around 60 billion for the budgetary shortfall. Want to check your numbers again?

Quote: