Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Drivers booked doing double the limit, or 160km/h, on Plenty Road, Mill Park

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225830318991

Old 15-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
buggo
[BU66OS]

It seems threads on this topic is becoming a daily occouence. And despite new laws, restrictions, and probably a thousands pages of post on this forum alone, it's still the exact same it was last week, last month, last year, last decade.
I wonder what tommorow will bring???

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just read about this on Ninemsn. Im lost for words at the stupidity of some people. They think theyre invincible even after seeing 5 people die in an accident on the same road 2 weeks ago....

Unfourtunatly no amount of new legislation/rules will stop this kind of blatant stupidity....

Edit: Ninemsn story said they came out of Macca's not a car wash. Also why did only the ute driver have his car impounded? Surely the Sedan should have been impounded for too?
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
It seems threads on this topic is becoming a daily occouence. And despite new laws, restrictions, and probably a thousands pages of post on this forum alone, it's still the exact same it was last week, last month, last year, last decade.
I wonder what tommorow will bring???
Hate to say it but probably some fool pushing for 180.
Old 15-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Cops absolutely saturated Mill Park and South Morang on the week- end, and I reckon they will be there again next week as well.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

ok guys, plenty rd in the millpark is also known as the drag strip! so there will always be stories about being getting done for doing high speeds, or people getting killed there!
BF MKII XR8, 13.8 @ 107mph
BA MKII F6 TYPHOON
BA MKII XR6 TURBO

BF MKII F6 TYPHOON R-spec, 13.2 @ 109 mph [LTHLF-6]
PX Ranger WILDTRAK
DENKO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
SKITZD

It might be known as the drag strip, but you've gotta wonder when these idiots will learn.

It seems the more prangs/deaths there are lately, the more idiots have been coming out!

Someone hooned past me the other day in the pouring rain with basically no visability and they would of been 40kms over the speed limit. I was waiting to come round the corner and see them in the tree.
SKITZD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

every day you see or hear of some one acting like they are in a race to the darwin awards, i had to give way to a white ed falcon last night while he practiced his drifting on a roundabout in williamstown :, no one from here i hope.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Mr12345678x

I have to drive on that road every day to go to work, not surprised to be honest
Mr12345678x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzza
I have to drive on that road every day to go to work, not surprised to be honest
Yeah, as a fully licenced driver, I personally don't feel safe to be driving on our road's with idiot's like this about, so you as like everyone else should be in the same boat,
We all know that they do it and continually strive to outdo other's, it's like a game to them, but us, the public are the ones that should be concerned, very concerned as we are the one's driving on our road's with these idiot's.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
Falcman0o7
Banned

A black, Holden ute and silver Commodore overtook a third vehicle before police intercepted them. The ute had been traveling at twice the 80km/h limit, with police clocking him at 160km/h.

How unusual. Really 80% are always commodores. I know i know lets not start a holden v's ford thing but for gods sake! What the hell is wrong with commodore drivers! They think they are still playing with TOYS!!!!!!!!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Have you guys noticed, when its raining really hard, it seems to bring out the morons? I notice people do more stupid things in the wet, then when its dry, maybe its just the one speed mentality, just because its 100km/h, doesn't mean you do it when the road is basically flooded.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

[QUOTE=SKITZD]It might be known as the drag strip, but you've gotta wonder when these idiots will learn.

QUOTE]
The only way they will learn is when you have police going for hoons and NOT people with nice cars, 90% of the time in the northern suburbs you get police pulling over people with nice cars eg: i got pulled over coz it grabbed the attention of the copper! my car is standard height, standard wheels, and its a bionic XR8! now while i was on the side of the road, 3 VN's drove past, and 2 of them had wheels at the front and stockies at the back, lowered beyond legal height, and here i am getting told off about my car stands out due to the colour! Police in the area waste a lot of time and people who just shouldn't be pulled over, rather then hoon p-platers! also i think we should have the sydney law for the young drivers and have kervues (if thats how you spell it)
BF MKII XR8, 13.8 @ 107mph
BA MKII F6 TYPHOON
BA MKII XR6 TURBO

BF MKII F6 TYPHOON R-spec, 13.2 @ 109 mph [LTHLF-6]
PX Ranger WILDTRAK
DENKO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The most frightening thing about this is the amount of media coverage it is getting.
Every night there are multiple hoon/speeding/accident/whatever stories.

I suspect there is an agenda behind this as this sort of thing alway precedes a government push in some direction.

When they wanted to increase security and change the law so they can invade anyones privacy there were terrorist stories every 10 seconds.

We seem to get mass outbreaks of paedofiles, 4WD accidents, urban violence and a squillion other things that all happen every day but all of a sudden when someone wants to push their agenda they are high profile.

Watch this space....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The most frightening thing about this is the amount of media coverage it is getting.
Every night there are multiple hoon/speeding/accident/whatever stories.

I suspect there is an agenda behind this as this sort of thing alway precedes a government push in some direction.

When they wanted to increase security and change the law so they can invade anyones privacy there were terrorist stories every 10 seconds.

We seem to get mass outbreaks of paedofiles, 4WD accidents, urban violence and a squillion other things that all happen every day but all of a sudden when someone wants to push their agenda they are high profile.

Watch this space....
Are you suggessting that it shouldn't be getting this amount of media attention?
5 people die, numerous other idiots blatanly raise their middle finger in the face of all and sundry who had/ have to deal with the consequences of this sort of action, and we should maybe think there is a conspiracy for the government to push some remotely related barrow??
Old 16-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Are you suggessting that it shouldn't be getting this amount of media attention?
5 people die, numerous other idiots blatanly raise their middle finger in the face of all and sundry who had/ have to deal with the consequences of this sort of action, and we should maybe think there is a conspiracy for the government to push some remotely related barrow??
It's Flappist, there is often a "conspiracy"
:
Old 16-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Is their an actual increase in the road toll?

Or does this happen all the time and has done so since cars were first invented?

And if it does happen all the time why is it all of a sudden "newsworthy"?

How does running a squillion high profile stories on TV bring the back to life those killed?
How does it help the families and friends of the victims?

How does making up stories to fill in the gaps (e.g. ACA and the top gear datto) help?

How does the headline "5 hoons were killed when their high powered modified XR6 turbo slammed into a tree. The P plate driver lost control of the illegal vehicle while hooning. Police say speed was the reason"

do anything more positive than

"5 young people tragically lost their lives in a road accident"?

Have you noticed that EVERY SINGLE vehicle incident report always end with something to do with the word SPEED.

Does anyone really believe that running graphic beatups over and over again is going to somehow shock a generation who play games like Grand Theft Auto and rush to put anything violent they see on youtube to share with the world into changing thier behavior?

Yes I am suggesting there is too much media hype for the sake of hype and I suspect a fair bit of copycat "I will do that really cool thing I saw on TV".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
Den76
Phantom cruiser

l usually dont say much about these topics but-

These "idiots" and l use the word "idiots" loosely, think they are above and beyond the law why because they get away with it, that is if they make it to court and dont kill themsleves.
Harsher penalities for "Hoon" drivers is they only way to go l think, they go to court and cop a slap on the wrist, a bit of a fine, lose there car for 24 hrs depending on priors and lose their licence,
Do they care?
Not at all, they will be driving at first oppertunity.

I really dont know what the answer is, and as far as the vic gov/ police are concerned they dont have the answers there completly lost at the moment.

Police presents on the road is another issue, lack of resources ploice tied up on paperwork instead of patrolling hoon hot spots.

Anyway thats my 5 cents worth...

I feel sorry for the innocent parties as we all do
Den76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
A black, Holden ute and silver Commodore overtook a third vehicle before police intercepted them. The ute had been traveling at twice the 80km/h limit, with police clocking him at 160km/h.

How unusual. Really 80% are always commodores. I know i know lets not start a holden v's ford thing but for gods sake! What the hell is wrong with commodore drivers! They think they are still playing with TOYS!!!!!!!!
Yes, yes they are.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #20
just_pazz
Ford Convert

Well I'm a local to this area I can say things are no different.... in fact hoon driving/drag racing was probably alot worse around here a few years ago.

Considering the fact that the population has probably doubled over the last five to ten years with all the new estates/suburbs that have sprung up recently you would think it would be a higher tally of incidents.

A dumb drunk KID killed five of his mates because he was YOUNG and DUMB, but people have been getting drunk and killing themselves for a long time now. Thats all that happened as unfortunate as it is. I tend to agree with flappist.... there is an agenda here.
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #21
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

The people involved in these crashes are already breaking existing laws regarding speed/drink driving. Toughening the laws will not make any difference. Tougher penalties will not, in my opinion, make much difference either. Young people have been killing themselves (and others) in cars for 100 years, and before that, in other risk taking pursuits. When I was 18, I was 10 foot tall and bulletproof, nothing bad was ever going to happen to me (and luckily, nothing did). I don't have any easy, or quick-fix answers, because, the fact is, there is none.
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale
V8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #22
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

not very politically correct but I never have been.

toughen laws? are you serious... they are already breaking 5 whats one more?

people have been crashing/dieing since you could go faster than walking, FFS people in Iceland die due to crashing snow mobiles, there is RISKS with everything you do, and legislate all you like but NOTHING will change.

agreed with flappist, I believe there is an agenda...

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The only reason it makes the news all the time isn't because its some epidemic and all the sudden, teenage kids are killing themselves everywhere, its because the media has picked a target and is going to focus on that one thing more than anything else.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #24
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Is their an actual increase in the road toll?

Or does this happen all the time and has done so since cars were first invented?

And if it does happen all the time why is it all of a sudden "newsworthy"?

How does running a squillion high profile stories on TV bring the back to life those killed?
How does it help the families and friends of the victims?

How does making up stories to fill in the gaps (e.g. ACA and the top gear datto) help?

How does the headline "5 hoons were killed when their high powered modified XR6 turbo slammed into a tree. The P plate driver lost control of the illegal vehicle while hooning. Police say speed was the reason"

do anything more positive than

"5 young people tragically lost their lives in a road accident"?

Have you noticed that EVERY SINGLE vehicle incident report always end with something to do with the word SPEED.

Does anyone really believe that running graphic beatups over and over again is going to somehow shock a generation who play games like Grand Theft Auto and rush to put anything violent they see on youtube to share with the world into changing thier behavior?

Yes I am suggesting there is too much media hype for the sake of hype and I suspect a fair bit of copycat "I will do that really cool thing I saw on TV".
So, Iv'e mulled on this a bit, didn't want to jump in half cocked.
Point by point
No, there isn't a jump in the road toll, in fact if we can believe any figures at all and not get hysterical and start throwing around figures like "squillions" , the road toll is actually decreasing per 100,000 drivers per year since the 1970s.
(8/100000 in 1970 compared to 1/ 100000 in 2008)

Yes, it does happen all the time, at least since data on road fatlities was first recorded in 1925, when apparently there were 700 reported road deaths(which was 11.8 deaths per 100000 population ,through to 2008 when there were 1465 deaths at 6.9/100000 population.
I have been watching TV news since the ABC introduced its' 7.00pm news with an anolouge clock in black and white, and trust me ,road accidents, deaths from crashes etc are not suddenly newsworthy, they have been news worthy, I guess, since 1925 although it may have been lost on the population who were without TVs in those days.
Running a "squillion" high profile stories on TV will not bring any one back to life, and certainly won't help families or anyone else involved for that matter, has anyone suggested it would?
If you choose to take your "news"/ "current affairs" from ACA et al, then you will get any gaps that you feel need filling, filled.
Yor next point seems to suggest that there was something journalistically wrong with saying ""5 hoons were killed when their high powered modified XR6 turbo slammed into a tree. The P plate driver lost control of the illegal vehicle while hooning. Police say speed was the reason" If you took out 2 words(hoons, and reason), I'd say it was a fairly accurate representation of what actually happened. "Hoons" apparently no one likes cause it tags all idiots with the same brush, and "reason" cause it probably wasn't the reason but a contributing factor.
Says exactly the same thing as "5 young people lost there lives in a road accident"...how much of a "positive" spin do you want to put on it??
I have not noticed a marked trend in these posts or any other articles for that matter to end with the assertion that every crash/fatality has something to do with "speed"
I for 1 do believe that running "graphic beat ups" may shock someone into ralising that (as somebody in another thread put so succinctly) young people have their whole lives in front of them, if they only realised it.
Grand theft auto and face book .... are not the real world, it hurts when you fall off your bike or run your car into a pole or stab your class mate with a knife..
You mention media hype and only reference ACA, and Top Gear.. they are only after one thing, your patronage, use them as your base line and they have got you exactly as they had planned. You are watching them and buying theIR product ,that's media hype, not informed opinions on what is actually relevant.
Just to finish, have a look at The National Road Safety Action Plan 2001-2010.Quote"Aims to reduce the annual number of road deaths to no more than .6/100000 by Dec 2010.With 1 year remaining to achieve this target, the natonal road safety action plan 2009-2010 focuses on measures to reduce driving speeds, make vehicles, roads and roadsides safer and facilitate safer behaviour amongst road users",
I know it will be hard to convince someone who is sure that govenment, media, cops, general public, ad nauseum are out to beat them up, that there is not some sort of evil conspiricy in hand,... but there you go.
Ps I am simply replying to your post, this is not a personal attack
Old 17-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

In 1970, the road toll was above 3,700 and there were a lot less cars on the road back then.

With better ADRs including collapsible steering cans, seat belts, better brakes/tyres
and increased radar traps, they got the figure down to about 3,200 by the early 1980s.
An interesting statistic at the time was that of all the road fatalities, over 44% were
over 0.05 BAC limit so that was the initiator for random breath tests.

Another alarming statistic was the public attitude that speeding 15-30 kph over the limit
was justified in certain places. This lead to state governments introducing speed cameras
at known black spots to slow the traffic down.

By the mid 2000s, the road toll had dropped to around 1600 due to speed cameras,
random breath tests and tougher infringement penalties. I wonder what will be next,
maybe compulsory ECU speed limiters and license recorders in cars?

Last edited by jpd80; 17-02-2010 at 11:12 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #26
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
not very politically correct but I never have been.

toughen laws? are you serious... they are already breaking 5 whats one more?

people have been crashing/dieing since you could go faster than walking, FFS people in Iceland die due to crashing snow mobiles, there is RISKS with everything you do, and legislate all you like but NOTHING will change.

agreed with flappist, I believe there is an agenda...
Totally agree, but we've all been through this before. Who cares, it happens, tightening laws will do nothing, especially when they are ineffective at stopping the problem anyway.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #27
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Totally agree, but we've all been through this before. Who cares, it happens, tightening laws will do nothing, especially when they are ineffective at stopping the problem anyway.
Yeah, who cares, it happens ,...it,'s only a bunch of drop kick kids!!
So apparently the last 2 posts do nothing to convince you that overall, the tools that are being used are actually reducing the problem, or am I missing the point here and the problem is not actually the road toll,and how we can reduce it even further, but a fear of being tarred with a (hoon)brush, or feeling victimised cause "I'm not like the rest of them officer, I only strayed 10k over the limit", the government is out to get me!!
Old 17-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Who cares, it happens, tightening laws will do nothing, especially when they are ineffective at stopping the problem anyway.
Great attitude right there.... :

Old 17-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #29
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Great attitude right there.... :
There will always be w*nks on the road, as jeremy clarkson said, there is nothing you can do.

Maybe we should introduce another 50 laws to deal with this problem lol : : : : :

:
:
:
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #30
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
There will always be w*nks on the road, as jeremy clarkson said, there is nothing you can do.

Maybe we should introduce another 50 laws to deal with this problem lol : : : : :

:
:
:
I know this will get me into strife , but I think we have one of them right here