Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Advice on selling cars on Ebay

I am going to be selling a car soon and I need some advice.

Have many here tried selling on Ebay and if so, how many had a successful sale that was a positive experience?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Advice on selling cars on Ebay

Sold one on ebay.. took me 2 goes tho.. The experience was great, the guy who bought it was from 300 kms away, he bought on ebay then came down and test drove it then handed over the cash. I was lucky, I was a little bit nervous about Ebay and what might turn up to pick up the car but I was honest with the ad, made sure everything was shown as it was. I detailed it and filled it up with fuel the morning he was coming to get it, had all the papers done, we signed everything over and he drove home happy, got positive feedback and never heard from him after.

First time it came in just under the reserve, second time just over.

Ebay is a tough one, because alot of people wont bid if you have a reserve. The only advice I can give is put a reserve on it but start it lowish to get more people interested. Start it too high and no one will bid.

Which car?

The other place I had luck with was carsguide as they also put an ad in the paper as part of the online ad, got a fair few calls from it but none from carsales.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Do they see the reserve?

I would have a reserve, not putting it on without one. The reserve would be a grand or 2 above what I have been offered as a trade in, it has to be worth the hassle selling it or I might as well take the trade, convenience has value.

Quote:
Which car?
That is a secret
Old 09-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Don't list the car without a reserve!

It'll come up as having a reserve listed, but bidders will not know what it is. It will say "reserve not met" under the current bid until it is met.

"A reserve price is the minimum price the seller will accept. This price is hidden from bidders. To win, a bidder must have the highest bid and have met or exceeded the reserve price."

Be prepared to get a lot of messages asking what the reserve is, do you have a buy it now etc.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Kryton

Reserve cannot be seen by anyone but yourself.
Start it at $1 and have the reserve, people will bid.
Be prepared to be asked numerous times what the reserve is as well.
All will be "genuinely interested in buying the vehicle" too - they arent, they want to know the reserve.
Either ignore them or tell them to bid if they are genuinely interested.

the last car i sold on ebay, i actually ended up ending the auction on the last morning.
I had one local that was interested, asked to come around for a look and offered me what i wanted on the spot.
Took the gamble and accepted his offer.
It may well haev turned out i could have got more from the auction, or it might have turned out that i didnt get what i wanted, have to relist again and deal with the enquiries all over.

Just remember, people dont shop on ebay to pay full price either.
if the car isnt a bargain, dont bother.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes i meant set a reserve and start the bidding low, not set the reserve low!!

Old 09-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I guess my hesitation is will it get enough exposure from someone that wants to spend near $30k on a car or is it more for people that are just after absolute bargains?
Old 09-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I guess my hesitation is will it get enough exposure from someone that wants to spend near $30k on a car or is it more for people that are just after absolute bargains?
Bargains..

The car I sold was under 6 kay.. and it was one of the cheapest on the net even at 6 kay!

If ur looking to sell a car at the 30 kay region I'd be looking towards something like carsguide or even carsales, but make sure you put a bit in for movement..

e.g. you want 30 kay, make it 32 kay then you can discount when they come to inspect to get it over the line.. no point advertising it at 30 kay if you actually want 30 kay, unless ofcourse its a bargain.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Bargains..

The car I sold was under 6 kay.. and it was one of the cheapest on the net even at 6 kay!

If ur looking to sell a car at the 30 kay region I'd be looking towards something like carsguide or even carsales, but make sure you put a bit in for movement..

e.g. you want 30 kay, make it 32 kay then you can discount when they come to inspect to get it over the line.. no point advertising it at 30 kay if you actually want 30 kay, unless ofcourse its a bargain.
Yep, been over those grounds before on the XR8 and the GT, did ok too and got what I wanted or close too it.

I think I might stick to that idea, it has worked before. Now just to work out, carsguide or carsales?
Old 09-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I'm guessing the mini unless you have another car. Considering you already started another thread a while back about deciding on its replacement.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put as much info in the ad as you can. There is no point wasting someones time if the advertisement is wrong or doesn't include key points about the car that will make or break someones decision about buying it.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
compact 351

mate pe prepared for tyer kickers,i had a esp on ebay and just let me say i wouldnt do it again
compact 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Waste of time IMO.

Two cars ive tried, both times, they've bidded without inspecting, then when it comes to pay day, they try and knock you down on the price, or say I dont like it and leave, others try can get you to end the auction early, My favourite one of the two was when Mummy said NO!

I say, stick to carsales/carsguide/trading post or wack a sign in the window, leave it on a busy street for a day or two.
Or post up on the forums.. PLUG!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #14
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Yep, been over those grounds before on the XR8 and the GT, did ok too and got what I wanted or close too it.

I think I might stick to that idea, it has worked before. Now just to work out, carsguide or carsales?
If you're selling it on carsales I'd like to buy it.

The truth is I am buying the car as an easter gift for dad and I am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this thread and your profile. I really want the car to be a surprise for dad so I wont let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him.

I am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I will be paying with paypal because I dont have access to my bank account online as i dont have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap for the car and please if you dont have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com.au and get it set up.

After you have set it up I will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments.

Do we have a deal?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-WORKN
If you're selling it on carsales I'd like to buy it.

The truth is I am buying the car as an easter gift for dad and I am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this thread and your profile. I really want the car to be a surprise for dad so I wont let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him.

I am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I will be paying with paypal because I dont have access to my bank account online as i dont have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap for the car and please if you dont have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com.au and get it set up.

After you have set it up I will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments.

Do we have a deal?

Sure!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
I'm guessing the mini unless you have another car. Considering you already started another thread a while back about deciding on its replacement.

Depending on how the appointment with the financial advisor goes and how the figures stack up from a salary packaging point of view, it may be both within the next few months.

Just the contemplation stage at the moment.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For cars 10k and over Id go carsales, I always use ebay (nuff said)
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Danny
GT4.

Both MINI and FPV would cost in the 30's now so It's hard to say! I do assume Geck its the MINI I remember you telling me that the Wifey wanted a countryman!!

Good luck with it and oh, Mate, use carsales. Ebay's for EA's and VN's :P
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I sold the BA Fairmont on ebay. Well sort of, he didn't bid, he contacted me directly, drove here from about 250km away, checked it out and paid me.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ebay and carsales are the home of the tyre kicker, be prepared.

Courier, trader and maybe the GC bulli may get you a better bite as they are more local.

By the way, adding "never cut grass at lakeside" to the description might help ....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Ebay and carsales are the home of the tyre kicker, be prepared.

Courier, trader and maybe the GC bulli may get you a better bite as they are more local.

By the way, adding "never cut grass at lakeside" to the description might help ....

Neither of them have, that was one of the previous ones. These have not even seen a circuit (maybe one last spin)
Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #22
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
[Carsales is] the home of the tyre kicker, be prepared..
Think it depends on what you're selling, If you're selling a Goonmobile, then you will attract Goons.

Sell something a little more focused like An FPV or a JCW upwards of $30k, you will get (generally) more serious buyers (especially if it's the JCW).

I know this, because I had my Clio Sport RS182 on there. It sold in 3 days to the first buyer who looked at it, a family man in his late 30's, I didn't have a problem at all.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #23
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Ive recently tried ebay, carsales and carsguide all at the same time. In my experience, carsguide was crap, not one enquiry from there and under 10 views on the website and I believe it was also the most expensive?
Carsales was pretty good, had a few calls and eventually sold it through that site, cost $60 for as long as you need to sell it. Most of my calls were from ebay although I did have to list it I think 3 times which is $20 a pop on there with a reserve price.
Ebay for me seemed to be more of a way of advertising rather than an auction. I had quite a few calls but no bids, basically just had all the details the same as my other ads and a phone number to view the vehicle during the auction rather than just wait for the auction to end and go from there if that makes sense. Since it had a reserve there were no real bargains to be had so I guess people thought to ring, check it out and perhaps buy it straight away rather than wait for a steal that was never going to come. Was for a $12000ish car, not sure how much higher priced cars would fair. I think though no matter where you advertise, if its priced right it will sell

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just remember: you have the seller by the bollocks in the situation...he's the one with everything to lose if you turned out to be a scammer. A lot of people worry about getting somehow ripped off and not getting paid for thier car. Put it this way...would you expect a dealership to hand over the keys to, say, a new FPV GT if you handed him a grand and promised to pay the rest to them once you've left the lot with the car and gone home...to get the rest of the money...*cough*...

Of course they wouldn't. And neither should anyone send their vehicle off anywhere to some "buyer" who pays only a deposit and promises to pay the rest "later".

My son was selling an old Navara 4x4 on Carsales, and had a guy contact him saying he wanted to buy it for...get this...his father who was in Indonesia. He told my son he would pay the full price, if my son arranged shipping and paid $1000 to secure "a place on a cargo ship"...then the guy would pay the purchase price, minus the thousand my son had spent. Sure. I'll get on that right away.

Don't fall for Western Union stuff anyone offers either...that's a dead giveaway someone is trying to scam you and there's no way to trace where the mone really went. The scammer in my sons case claimed he could "only use Western Union as his Paypal account had been hacked".
Paypal is a perfectly secure way of doing a transaction, and remember, as I said, you are perfectly safe...the buyer is the one with everything to lose, as once he's paid it into your account, you can transfer it anywhere and scam him, saying "what money?".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #25
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
the buyer is the one with everything to lose, as once he's paid it into your account, you can transfer it anywhere and scam him, saying "what money?".
With regards to Paypal, it's usually the buyer who is the king in terms of payments - especially with eBay.

Anyone who remotely believes someone would be interested in a car here for someone overseas without any face to face contact probably shouldn't be selling their car (or anything).

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #26
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Another thing if you do go down the eBay path (though I would not recommend) is always set a limit on the minimum amount of feedback a bidder can have. I made the mistake of letting anyone bid and someone who just signed up a fake account with 0 feedback hit "Buy it Now" and caused my auction to end earlier. It meant I lost 3 or 4 days of advertising and stuffing around for the next 14 days through the resolution centre getting the final value fee and listing fee refunded!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #27
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure you also put down that winner must pay deposit in a specified time and the full balance within whatever time limit... or the full amount within a time limit.

Dont use PayPal (though you have NO CHOICE on ebay to use paypal as way of payment). Either Bank Deposit or cash.

Take plenty of high res pictures so you can send them out quickly via email.
Use a reserve, or if not, have your start bid close to the amount you want for the car.

Dont accept bids from people with less then 10 or so transactions... and have a high percentage of good feedback.

Make sure the auction ends at night.... as more people will be online then.
Or during the day on a weekend...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #28
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Dont accept bids from people with less then 10 or so transactions... and have a high percentage of good feedback.
what happens if someone is interested, but hasn't bought or sold on ebay before. i have only purchased two things - never sold. if i was serious about buying the car, then not accepting bids from me could compromise the final figure considerably
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #29
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
what happens if someone is interested, but hasn't bought or sold on ebay before. i have only purchased two things - never sold. if i was serious about buying the car, then not accepting bids from me could compromise the final figure considerably
you see quite often on ebay people will put in the clause, no bids from zero feedback, or less than 5 positive feedback members without messaging first.

my xf's 'sold' 3 times on ebay, not one of them went through, not one of them even came to look at them.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlerj
Another thing if you do go down the eBay path (though I would not recommend) is always set a limit on the minimum amount of feedback a bidder can have. I made the mistake of letting anyone bid and someone who just signed up a fake account with 0 feedback hit "Buy it Now" and caused my auction to end earlier. It meant I lost 3 or 4 days of advertising and stuffing around for the next 14 days through the resolution centre getting the final value fee and listing fee refunded!
Good point. It can be a turnoff for the casual buyer who might be new to Ebay, but if they are new and have zero feedback, they will be able to establish thier credentials in other ways to prove they are fair dinkum.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post