Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
RATT

Default Ford Aust future model line up- What do you want

This has been discussed at length over the years on the old site and some of our requests and guesses alike have come true. So I thought we should try again and at the same time good Ford Australia feedback. I am also only concentrating on passenger cars and Falcon ute.
Be realistic considering things like potential sales volume etc.

Mine are as follows:

Fiesta
- Bring in the 1.4l 4cyl with no leather steering wheel and smaller wheels. This can be the entry point, possibly $12990 for a manual + a/c.
- Bring the Fiesta ST (low volume image car)
- Otherwise continue with the same formula

Focus
- Drop the CL and start with the LX (front power wind. dual airbags, ABS)
- Start at about $21990 + a/c.
- Keep the Zetec 3dr, 5dr and Ghia as well as introduce the image setting ST.

Falcon
- Keep a similar lineup although add a BOSS powered XT (GS8, XT8, SR8, X540 etc) with SR kit, interior + XR suspension.
- Offer factory backed modifications such as exhausts, suspension etc.
- 290kw XR8, 250kw XR6T.
- Introduce 2.7l twin turbo Diesel in Futura spec.
- Many other improvements changes are possible here too

Fairlane/ LTD :
- Differentiate more from SWB sedans, eg different front and rear bars
- Add BOSS engine to G220, and change that stupid name. XR headlights maybe? Call it BOSS Fairlane.
- LTD hmm 17inch wheels, woodgrain sports steering wheel + more. It lacks so much compared to Caprice

Escape
- Floor auto! (It will come in 05)

Territory
- Turbo 6
- Turbo 6
- Did I mention Turbo 6 :hihi:
- V8 (BOSS or 3 valve)
- 2.7l TTdi V6 (as with Falcon) I think that it will be very successful.
- Nicer soft feel dash

Explorer
- Drop the V6
- V8 XLT and Limited only

Falcon Ute
- 2.7l TTdi V6 for RTV and XL ute (for the couriers)
- Rear tray to be one with the cabin..
- 290kw XR8, 250kw XR6T

FPV
- GTHO GTHO GTHO Blown V8 with over 370kw and 620+Nm built in limited numbers eg 250 units
- 320KW na GT/ GT-P and Pursuit
- 280kw Typhoon and Tornado
- FPV Territory
- FPV Focus

Last edited by RATT; 06-01-2005 at 06:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Dez
Banned

nice suggestions RATT...just 1 thing i picked up....as far as i know, ford's utes do so well against the competition due to the fact that they are cab-chassis, and tradies prefer this....i read it, a tradie wrote it into an article of his somewhere...and mentioned that they prefer the cab-chassis because they can bolt their tool boxes into it or something like that...

also, maybe the typhoon would need higher, or equal KW to the XR8.
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Sure, could have a blown v8 for the gtho... but i would dearly love to see the return of the big block, and the big cubes, rather then the supercharged options.

aint gonna happen, but you asked what I wanted :P

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwob
nice suggestions RATT...just 1 thing i picked up....as far as i know, ford's utes do so well against the competition due to the fact that they are cab-chassis, and tradies prefer this....i read it, a tradie wrote it into an article of his somewhere...and mentioned that they prefer the cab-chassis because they can bolt their tool boxes into it or something like that...

also, maybe the typhoon would need higher, or equal KW to the XR8.
Agreed Madwob. What I mean is that XR, Styleside XLS and XL to have a solid one piece body and continue with the Cab Chassis.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
Dez
Banned

ah ok. no worries mate.... i still dont know exactly what you mean...but you're saying keep the cab-chassis so its all good :
Old 06-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

An XR8 Sprint with Boss 290, 4.11 LSD, Live axel rear suspension, light weight 17inch wheels but with 295mm tires on the back, with only the nessesitys, ie no elec windows, standard air-con no climate control or anything, light sport seats. a quater mile car
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I personally feel the power of the XR and FPV range is fine, they just need sensible gearing.
Yes, they lowered the diff ratios in series 2, however they also made 1st gear in the 6spd taller, so they are actually geared worse than they were in series 1.

With the 6 speed box, 3.9:1 gears are more than feasible, even on the highway.
This would improve there 0-100kph and 400m times, which is after all, a part of what sells these cars.

I also feel if a GTHO is made, it should most definitely be naturally aspirated.
The 5.4L Boss is easy good for 340kw, and with the correct gearing would be plenty to reserve a name for itself as a fine aussie supercar.
An alloy block (which could be filtered down the range in time) would also be a nice touch.

The Boss produces plenty of power, it just needs to be utilised properly.

EDIT: As a bonus, the shortened gearing would allow the manual to have the heavy tow pack to match the auto, something which has been quite absurd for a long time. Ford wouldn't have to worry about burnt out clutches with the right gearing.

Rick.

Last edited by Sox; 06-01-2005 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

ULWB LTD with Ford 427 styling cues please. 300kW+ from the upcoming 6.2L V-8 will do, I don't care what price they crayon on the windshield I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Would prefer it to be branded under Ford than the 'boy racer' division.

I'll stop dreaming soon and post a more realistic line-up later :(
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 07:04 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An RTV Territory! They need some decent ride height, and maybe even diff locks? And why not throw the turbo motor in there.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Well and good to finesse the existing line-up, but what about the blindingly obvious need for a mid-size car? Something locally made and rear drive would be nice but even a rebadged Mazda 6 would be better than nothing.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #11
Dez
Banned

are u saying ford is releasing a 6.2L V8?

if so, Aus ford?

if so, what car?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #12
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

If Ford release a GTHO, and it seems they might just do that, they damn well better make it right. That is, it needs to blow away any Commodore into the weeds performance wise. Not only that, make it so damn special that it will take years for Holden to catch up, so that it remains king for a while. Don't pollute the GT name like they did with EB-EL which were, IMHO, half baked and not performance oriented.

They have a tough job, with the LS2 around in HSV's

If you are going to do it, do it right. The GTHO is too special a name to mess up.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #13
RATT

Madwob it's replacing the existing 5.4l v8 so everything with a 5.4 will be a 6.2l eventually.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:19 PM   #14
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouty
Well and good to finesse the existing line-up, but what about the blindingly obvious need for a mid-size car? Something locally made and rear drive would be nice but even a rebadged Mazda 6 would be better than nothing.
Good thinking. I can't remember a decent mid sized Ford since Telstar. The Mondeos were sh!t.

A rebadged Mazda 6 would work a treat. However, things have changed alot since then.

Back then, Mazda was just an ordinary Japanese manufacturer, nothing special. But now, Mazda have become somewhat semi prestigious, and personally, I'd rather buy a Mazda than a Ford if the base mechanicals were the same. Just thinking from a resale perspective.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:23 PM   #15
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Madwob it's replacing the existing 5.4l v8 so everything with a 5.4 will be a 6.2l eventually.
sounds good, i was wondering when ford would step up the fight in this area
Old 06-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #16
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
Good thinking. I can't remember a decent mid sized Ford since Telstar. The Mondeos were sh!t.

A rebadged Mazda 6 would work a treat. However, things have changed alot since then.

Back then, Mazda was just an ordinary Japanese manufacturer, nothing special. But now, Mazda have become somewhat semi prestigious, and personally, I'd rather buy a Mazda than a Ford if the base mechanicals were the same. Just thinking from a resale perspective.
That's very true and the Tribute sales is a testament to that.

Another factor is the Torana rumour, and a small or mid-size Australian Ford would be a viable long-term project considering increasing fuel prices and export markets. It would also be a good platform for a high performance BMW M5-style image leader.

Just depends if Ford would have the funds to commit to it.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #17
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouty
That's very true and the Tribute sales is a testament to that.

Another factor is the Torana rumour, and a small or mid-size Australian Ford would be a viable long-term project considering increasing fuel prices and export markets. It would also be a good platform for a high performance BMW M5-style image leader.

Just depends if Ford would have the funds to commit to it.
A mid sized, rear drive Ford would be AWESOME. Something to compete with 3-5 series beamers. Use Falcon running gear. Only trouble is that the Falcon six is a little too heavy. They really need to go all alloy.

Oh and the Tribute/Escape.... Surely Ford will drop Escape now that Terry is on the scene?

I see plenty of Tributes, but hardly any Escapes. Why would you buy an Escape? Are they cheaper?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ok this is what I would do if i was running Ford (and ill only concerntrate on aussie built).

Falcon Sedan Range:

Falcon XT - As before but with 16" alloy wheels standard (either current Futura or Classic type rim). Also Offer a SE Pack which can be basically the Futura spec (Side Airbags, Electric Pedals and 6 Stack Prestige sound).

RRP: $34,500
SE Pack: $35,700

Falcon SXT - Same as XT but with a 250 KW Boss V8, Bonnet Buldge, Full Body Kit, Flat Boot Lid Spoiler, Colour Coded Door Strips, Colour Coded Mirrors, 17" Alloys with a different Optional 18" Wheels, Front Fog lights, Leather steering wheel. Optional Six Speed manual or Auto Trans.

RRP: $43,850
SE Pack $45,050

Futura - Dropped.

Fairmont - Same as current except also make Wagon Available due to the dropping of Futura brand. Offer a Fairmont S with 17inch optional alloys and body styling kit for both sedan and wagon.

RRP: $40,000
Fairmont S: $43,000

XR6 NA - Same as current except with 200 KW of power. Prestige Sound Standard and also the option of the 6 speed transmission.

RRP: $39,500

XR6 Turbo - 250 KW with 18 Inch Alloys standard and Prestige Sound. Make it a little cheaper then XR8 but keep the price up there.

RRP: $47,900

XR8 - 275 KW Motor, 18" Wheels standard as now, Prestige Sound Standard and also Premium Brakes.

RRP: $51,500

Fairmont Ghia - 200 KW Six Cylinder the same as the XR6. Optional 240 KW V8. Same as is but with a new design 17" alloy and a specially design optional 18" Alloy. Body kit option but different from the others.

RRP: $53,500.

Falcon Wagon Range

XT Wagon - Same as sedan.

RRP: $37,000
SE Pack: $38,200

Fairmont Wagon - Same as sedan with the Fairmont S option.

RRP: $42,000
Fairmont S: $45,000

Fairlane

Ghia: 200 KW 6 cylinder and 240 KW V8 option. Standard 17 Inch alloys.

G250: Same motor as the SXT, 250 KW Boss with bonnet bulge and Mark I GTP wheels standard.

LTD: Same as Ghia except with 18 inch alloys, Sunroof, Satnav and Rear DVD Entertainment Standard.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #19
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Manuals in Ghias. V8s in wagons. XR6 and XR8 wagon. Up the power on the XR6 and Ghia. Put the whole range on a diet. FPV LWB and Terro. V8 in the Terro....MAKE IT FIT!

Make the GTs whip the Holdens. Worried about a power war? Simple, release botcho figures.

And even though it's not worth the money to build it, I'd love the coupe to make a comeback. Not a coupe like the Hillman one, a proper fastback coupe. Two door BC GTHO anyone?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

All I'd love to see is the Boss sitting nicely in the bay of the Territory, That's all I want.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #21
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hurry up and drop the wagon so I can have a territory for a company thrash. Currently we get the choice of an XT sedan or wagon.
Regards,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #22
RATT

I think a mid-sized sedan will not succeed. Mondeo failed, Mazda 6 is doing ok, Vectra isn't doing well either. There's already enough players in that market.
The only real success stories have been 4cyl Camry and Honda Accord Euro. It would be too much of a risk for Falcon and a Focus sedan (new model out ina few months) will fill the void somewhat.

Last edited by RATT; 06-01-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #23
JG33

I would like to see sports instrumentation like they used to have everything else I'm happy with but the most important thing of all is I want a RELIABLE VEHICLE and not to put up with the BS from dealerships. Think you can manage that Ford?
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #24
Charbs
AKA ChuBBz

FPV Predator straight gas I6 turbo 280kw
Charbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 12:36 AM   #25
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
I think a mid-sized sedan will not succeed. Mondeo failed, Mazda 6 is doing ok, Vectra isn't doing well either. There's already enough players in that market.
The only real success stories have been 4cyl Camry and Honda Accord Euro. It would be too much of a risk for Falcon and a Focus sedan (new model out ina few months) will fill the void somewhat.
I think it would. Mondeo failed because its engine was an underperforming POS, Vectra is overpriced and Camry can no longer be considered mid sized.

A mid sized, rear driver would be a bit of a niche. How many affordable small to mid sized REAR DRIVERS are there on the market? Off the top of my head I cannot think of one.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:52 AM   #26
mick.wheelz

FPV territory (F6 motor)
FPV Fairlane (GT motor) (make the galaxie 540 concept happen)
FPV Focus (rebadged focus RS + more boost) (or maybe a RWD V8 Focus )
GTHO x11tybillion
XT/Futura power 182kw
XR6/Fairmont Power 200kw
XR6T 260kw
XR8 290kw
F6 275kw
GT 320kw
GTHO 350+kw
Old 07-01-2005, 02:21 AM   #27
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
Vectra is overpriced and Camry can no longer be considered mid sized.

A mid sized, rear driver would be a bit of a niche. How many affordable small to mid sized REAR DRIVERS are there on the market? Off the top of my head I cannot think of one.
Vectra also failed for Holden back when it started at $24990. It was built here for a short time and they pulled the pin.
The Camry being available as a 4cyl it will never be cross shoped with Falcon so that's why I classify it as a mid-sized car.

I don't think Ford has the resources and money to build a mid-sized car and there is nothing out there that would compete $ for $ with what's already here (Honda, Mazda etc).

My big call re medium sedans? Torana will either never happen, or it will be a poor seller after any initial flurry of buyers.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:02 AM   #28
blurter

Manual option in the Territory.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:26 AM   #29
parawolf
beep beep

Okay...

My only updates are on the Fiesta....

Fiesta 1.4L (low end spec)
Fiesta Diesel (turbo?) (econo driving)
Fiesta ST (performance)

Fiesta with CRUISE CONTROL!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 09:55 AM   #30
Dodge
i like to be stroked

how bout a 2 door falcon convertable < or a new mustang...
and twin turbo mini truck, like a smaller version of the harley F150