Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2022, 06:28 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Abandoned Ford Factory Tour

Found this video published 3rd of March 2022 -

I'm not sure how they guy was allowed in to do that, I guess he was trespassing in the name of video content. Either way, it's so sad seeing it like that.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Abandoned Ford Factory Tour

Thats super kool.
Was hoping to see a left over turbo engine sitting there.
Wonder if it has any signage there still.
Might be going to Geelong AFD and would love some pictures.
Old 13-03-2022, 07:21 PM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apart from a few bits of tech, that place looks like it was abandoned some time in the 1960's or 70's.

Interesting comment from guy who supposedly worked there, that Ford started progressively shutting it down from 2010, 3 years before the official announcement.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2022, 07:28 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Apart from a few bits of tech, that place looks like it was abandoned some time in the 1960's or 70's.

Interesting comment from guy who supposedly worked there, that Ford started progressively shutting it down from 2010, 3 years before the official announcement.
I have mentioned this a few times elsewhere, but I have believe that while the announcement was made in 2013, the decision to shut was made in late 2010. This was when the Australian built Focus was dumped, and the engine plant was given a stay of execution. The FG was only two years into it's life cycle, so running the plant for another few years to recoup development costs. I have read from a few over the years that plant maintenance was minimal in these years too.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2022, 07:36 PM   #5
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

No coupe quarter panels. :(
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2022, 08:20 PM   #6
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i am sure that is the last time someone sneaks in there! Expect all those those A4 folders to be collected tomorrow as well.

I cant believe he didn't pick up that phone at 4.46 and see if there was dial tone
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-03-2022, 08:30 PM   #7
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check out that GT 351 Falcon Image on the wall at 4.14...
The image below is F6 325..

Are these known sketches?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2022, 09:28 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
I cant believe he didn't pick up that phone at 4.46 and see if there was dial tone
Judging by the voice, and words, of the cameraman he would'nt be old enough to know how to use a dial phone

Last edited by GasoLane; 13-03-2022 at 11:38 PM. Reason: The typo fairy struck again
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2022, 11:35 PM   #9
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work for a Ford dealership and when we did training for the PX Ranger they loaded us on a bus one day and took us the the Geelong factory for a tour and I couldn't help thinking at the time that the place was well over due for some maintenance and a tidy up. The writing was on the wall and I didn't realise at the time. They also took us to You Yangs for a tour as well. Sort of a thank you for our services to the brand I guess, was great full for the privilege.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2022, 12:05 AM   #10
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: Abandoned [?] Ford Factory Tour

brother-inlaw was there a few years back to do some work on something. he mentioned that it looked like it be started up as there was still alot of 'stuff' still there making it look as tho everyone was takin a break. pretty sure there was a "Grand Sale" on facebook or some where with all the fixtures being sold off.

dunno why the vid says Abandoned Ford Factory Tour as it was never abandoned, it was sold off along with Broady to the one buyer. during the our little pandemic it was used as the one stop shop for your corona shot. been there twice for that.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2022, 12:13 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Wonder if it will turn into housing, its a HUGE location, right near a freeway in the northern suburbs of Melbourne
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2022, 02:20 AM   #12
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never mind
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #13
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone was selling workbenches from there on facebook marketplace a few months ago.
Old 14-03-2022, 11:11 AM   #14
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ford Factory Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Wonder if it will turn into housing, its a HUGE location, right near a freeway in the northern suburbs of Melbourne

from what i read awhile back nothing was mentioned re housing ........ but things can change. from memory i believe "Industrial Estate" was mentioned?. plus if used for housing there would be A LOT of soil clean up needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Someone was selling workbenches from there on facebook marketplace a few months ago.

and a few other items like lockers etc.
Old 14-03-2022, 01:21 PM   #15
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't be totally surprised if the odd car part is still sitting in there somewhere; under a floor, in a basement, or in a closed-off and forgotten area.

I understand the fascination with the old factory. I wouldn't mind being in there to have a look, to wander around, thinking of what used to take place there.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2022, 01:40 PM   #16
vbomber

Quote:
https://www.assemblybroadmeadows.com.au/ this is gong to replace the factory
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2022, 04:38 PM   #17
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

These are some pics I have screenshotted of the casting and stamping plants, taken in January 2022 -

These areas have been stripped bare. I think the idea of there being anything of interest or value left in those plants is pure fantasy. Anything of value to Ford would be long gone, the rest is scrap.

So sad, how many people earned their living to bring up a family, paid for a house or car within those walls. The legacy lies in the cars that were made because of that plant, the cars we love and cherish.
Mustang GT

Old 14-03-2022, 04:50 PM   #18
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ford Factory Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbomber View Post
https://www.assemblybroadmeadows.com.au/ this is gong to replace the factory

pretty well what gtown will have done to it....... dunno when tho.
Old 14-03-2022, 10:11 PM   #19
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
These are some pics I have screenshotted of the casting and stamping plants, taken in January 2022 -

These areas have been stripped bare. I think the idea of there being anything of interest or value left in those plants is pure fantasy. Anything of value to Ford would be long gone, the rest is scrap.

So sad, how many people earned their living to bring up a family, paid for a house or car within those walls. The legacy lies in the cars that were made because of that plant, the cars we love and cherish.
I sometimes still think about how as a country we had an industry where we could design a car from the ground up and build it right here, and we ****ed it all away, from the government all the way down to the consumer. Such a shame.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2022, 03:01 AM   #20
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love this kind of urb-ex stuff, during I ended up watching a lot of the proper people on YT - amercans but they have gone to Japan, China, Asia and Europe. But lots of interesting USA stuff too mainly schools (some had a shooting range), mental asylums, hospitals or defunct theatres and them parks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvB6_NpuNOI most recent vid, I'm only about to watch it now, but you can get their homepage from that.

E: another fav was from maybe ukraine 7 years ago or more, had Russian bases, their space shuttle and abandoned aircraft and ground force water planes to cross the black sea (ekranoplan?)

Last edited by oldel; 15-03-2022 at 03:15 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2022, 12:30 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

So many memories in that place for me. 15 years I spent in that engine plant. Weird seeing the loading bays which used to be full of Barra's in stillages waiting to be loaded into the broady run trucks completely empty.

I wonder when this was filmed, because last I heard the engine plant had pretty much been stripped bare?

And FYI, the storage room he goes into with the robot and the racks on both sides of the walls was the engine block storage area. The robot would pick up the machined blocks and place them on the underground conveyor that went across the aisle way to the assembly line on the other side.

Last edited by Bossxr8; 15-03-2022 at 12:35 PM.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Nah, Pelegra group bought it and it's available for industrial use now. Marand Precision Engineering use the old tool room in the stamping plant to manufacture parts for the F-35 fighter jet, and Metalland have taken over the southern part of the stamping plant for steel sales.

Apparently they had plenty of demand for companies wanting to use sections of the plants for industrial use.

I think this video must be outdated by a few years, cause i'm positive the site has been refurbished and handed over to the new owners.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2022, 12:39 PM   #23
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We might be able to make some nuclear submarine parts there.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2022, 04:28 PM   #24
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
So many memories in that place for me. 15 years I spent in that engine plant. Weird seeing the loading bays which used to be full of Barra's in stillages waiting to be loaded into the broady run trucks completely empty.

I wonder when this was filmed, because last I heard the engine plant had pretty much been stripped bare?

And FYI, the storage room he goes into with the robot and the racks on both sides of the walls was the engine block storage area. The robot would pick up the machined blocks and place them on the underground conveyor that went across the aisle way to the assembly line on the other side.
I was hoping you would chime in, thanks for adding some first hand knowledge to this thread. Was the place as old and worn as it looks in some of the pics and video?

Like you, I think that video may have been filmed some time ago and I actually questioned it when I spotted the publish date for the video considering the pics I had seen of it stripped bare in January.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2022, 04:57 PM   #25
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is the Geelong Plant. Nobody wants to live in Geelong.

Yes, the video is a couple of years out of date, but only a few. The property wasn't sold until a few years ago. Around 2019 IIRC.

The Facade is actually Heritage Listed, and as far as I know the whole thing is being refurbed as Industrial Space.

Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2022, 05:12 PM   #26
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

This thread reminds me of the video Ford published showing the manufacturing cycle across their plants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t5MK2YcqLw

I wish I could find the original high quality version, but even still, this low res version still gives me goosebumps as I imagine all the Falcon's I have owned trundling their way down that line.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2022, 05:35 PM   #27
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Nah, Pelegra group bought it and it's available for industrial use now. Marand Precision Engineering use the old tool room in the stamping plant to manufacture parts for the F-35 fighter jet, and Metalland have taken over the southern part of the stamping plant for steel sales.

Apparently they had plenty of demand for companies wanting to use sections of the plants for industrial use.

I think this video must be outdated by a few years, cause i'm positive the site has been refurbished and handed over to the new owners.
I managed to get a look inside the engine plant when I went for my Covid jabs. This video must be years old as the inside is pretty much empty now.

I wish the council or some one would do something regarding the graffiti on the highway side of the building. Sad to see it like this.c
Old 17-03-2022, 02:56 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
I was hoping you would chime in, thanks for adding some first hand knowledge to this thread. Was the place as old and worn as it looks in some of the pics and video?

Like you, I think that video may have been filmed some time ago and I actually questioned it when I spotted the publish date for the video considering the pics I had seen of it stripped bare in January.
It was always maintained to a certain degree. Machines and facilities got a lick of paint every few years. It was never as bad as shown in the footage, cause there was never that level of dust and bird poo that had obviously taken hold since it was locked up.

I think the video is most likely from around 2017/8. The blank signs out the front of the plant give it away, cause they have Fortek branding on them now, and have for at least 2-3 years maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
What planet do you live on? The population here is booming, so many people are moving out of melbourne since covid that the demand for land and housing here is just off the charts.
6 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

Yes, the video is a couple of years out of date, but only a few. The property wasn't sold until a few years ago. Around 2019 IIRC.

The Facade is actually Heritage Listed, and as far as I know the whole thing is being refurbed as Industrial Space.

Would make for an epic place for a fresh food market I reckon + restaurants/cafes inside, kinda like Preston Market but on a much larger scale.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Would make for an epic place for a fresh food market I reckon + restaurants/cafes inside, kinda like Preston Market but on a much larger scale.
I'd assume it's all zoned industrial. Access to the geelong port and highway make it prime industrial land.

If I recall correctly a windmill manufacturer was set up there at one point, the giant blades were coming straight off the ships in pieces at the port and transferred the couple hundred meters up the road to the plant, where they were semi-assembled before being sent out to the windfarms out Rokewood way?
2 users like this post: