Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2016, 12:28 AM   #1
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AMG Track Day

So my brother has an AMG C63 sports pack, the version with the 6.2 litre, and has been invited to a half track day at Sydney raceway, where you drive C63s and A45s etc.

He has a further guest invite, and has asked if I am interested. You have to pay a fair bit for the day, do runs around the track in specially prepared cars, and get a hot lap with one of their instructors.

Anybody done it- can you really unleash in their cars, and is it worth it?

Or should I just put the money towards slicks and 4 new wheels for a track day in my car?

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2016, 12:40 AM   #2
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Default Re: AMG Track Day

Hi asagaai,
I got on the MB World track last year in London in an AMG E63, it was a lot of fun no doubt about that! And yes, they will let you go hard, there are big "BRAKE NOW" signs at the end of the straights.

All their cars were dual pedal but single steering wheel. (*instructor didn't touch them at all during my drive) Paid an extra 15 pound to take madam in the back.

Would I do it again.. Probably not, fantastic handling and breaking, and the sound is fantastic! but straight line performance, was not that impressive.

Spend the money on your own car, that way you will get to enjoy the money you part with for a lot longer!

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2016, 03:39 AM   #3
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've not done an amg day but I have done one with the lotus dealer. I was able to do what I wanted in their cars and mine.

The instructors helped me push the cars harder than I would have.

Totally worth it.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its this one isnt it?

http://experience.mercedes-benz.com....amg/amg-spirit

Half day AMG drive day
Sandown Raceway – 24 June and 21 October
Sydney Motorsport Park – 18 August and 8 September
Mt Cotton – 30 September

$950, that per individual?

To be honest, I have never done one of those at all but I would be thinking a proper driving course to improve your driving for like a track day be better if thats what ya after
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought that was expensive at first, but I guess it ain't too bad for the time spent there.
I did a supercar drive day, if you can call it a day. Driver briefing, couple of laps in the passanger seat of a V8 turbo Cayenne, then 5 laps driving the supercar of your choice. That cost just over $300. It was good but the driving was over too quickly. Seams like at the AMG day you get decent seat time.

To be honest I would feel ripped off if I got anything but the C63 AMG. Yes the other might be quick, but the 6.2L sounds like a beast
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad took me to a Mercedes driver training day at Eastern Creek which was complimentary with his new car purchase. It was an excellent half day and if the AMG one is anything like it, I'd say it'll be worth it. I got to drive some pretty nice cars flat out on the main circuit and the skid pad and 'peanut' drift pad. The cars didn't have dual controls or anything and the instructor I had was really good and encouraged me to push really hard given my (limited) motorsport experience.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #7
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's it cost ?
You can pick up some cheap BA XR8 rims that will clear Brembos (assuming you have them) & a set of Hankook Z221 semislicks for $1000.
Prices excluuding rim costing.
Trackday in S.A. at Mallala is $135 which includes 6 sessions of 15mins track time including a day licence. 90 mins of absolute thrills with no speed restrictions or speeding tickets/demerit points/fines.
Go for your own set up.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #8
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz
Its this one isnt it?

http://experience.mercedes-benz.com....amg/amg-spirit

Half day AMG drive day
Sandown Raceway – 24 June and 21 October
Sydney Motorsport Park – 18 August and 8 September
Mt Cotton – 30 September

$950, that per individual?

To be honest, I have never done one of those at all but I would be thinking a proper driving course to improve your driving for like a track day be better if thats what ya after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I thought that was expensive at first, but I guess it ain't too bad for the time spent there.
I did a supercar drive day, if you can call it a day. Driver briefing, couple of laps in the passanger seat of a V8 turbo Cayenne, then 5 laps driving the supercar of your choice. That cost just over $300. It was good but the driving was over too quickly. Seams like at the AMG day you get decent seat time.

To be honest I would feel ripped off if I got anything but the C63 AMG. Yes the other might be quick, but the 6.2L sounds like a beast

I’ve been to two drive days, one here in Australia and one in the USA and both had a wider and better range of cars then the A45, CLA45 & C63S and you were allowed to spend time in each model.

AMG also have Driving Academies at various locations around the world and I’d love to do something like the 2017 one before I get too much older.

This is the video advertising the 2017 AMG Driving Academy

This is the ad for the 2017 Driving Academy currently on the AMG Private Lounge Forum.

Quote:
Dear AMG Private Lounge members,

In the heat of the summer we’re sure that the last thing you're likely thinking about is winter – but we’ve got a treat that is sure to send shivers down your spine. In 2017 the AMG Driving Academy is once again heading to Sweden and we want you to come along for the ride.

Near the town of Arjeplog in Sweden Lappland – a stones throw away from the Arctic Circle – is where you’ll find custom made tracks in the middle of a frozen lake. Over various days, our experienced team of instructors will take you through the steps required to hone your skills on ice and become the ultimate winter experte. And as always you will have a chance to go for a ride in the infamous AMG Ice Taxi.

Exclusive for AMG Private Lounge members, we reserved slots for selected events. These slots can be booked from now on and follow the “first come – first serve” principle. Starting Wednesday, 27th, 2016 booking of all events will be possible also for non-members.

Here are the dates and codes for the 2017 season:

AMG Winter Sporting Advanced
March 24 – 27, 2017 AMG Lodge Arjeplog, Sweden WL22 -17

AMG Winter Sporting Advanced Plus
March 20 – 24, 2017 AMG Lodge Arjeplog, Sweden WL21-17

AMG Winter Sporting Pro
February 13 – 17, 2017 AMG Lodge Arjeplog, Sweden WL11 -17

To join one of these events, please contact us via phone ( +49 7144 302-575) or via mail (amg-driving-academy@zet-project.de). Please mention your AMG Private Lounge Name when booking one of these events

Best regards,
Your AMG Private Lounge Team

AMG Driving Academy Winter Sporting 2017 Brochure

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...MGLodge_HR.pdf

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For comparison you can do 6 laps at eastern creek for $450 plus 3 hotlaps. in a v8 Commodore

http://www.adrenalin.com.au/v8-super...torsport/14133
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post