Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2024, 11:50 AM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Australian fuel efficiency standards aimed at cutting petrol bills, 'catching up' with US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Standard operating procedure for these people - you know how it is.

There's a massive undercurrent of salty pricks about American utes around inner Melbourne, and its just because everyone is upset about others having the sort of coin to throw around on epic purchases like that, so they want them banned.

They're using the 'safety' aspect, with the green aspect on the tail end of the argument, but its not the agenda, its just the padding around the shit sandwich covered in sprinkles they want you to eat.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Melbourne councils specifically target large SUVs/Thailand Specials/American utes in disincentive programs because it will generally only effect people outside of their rate payers.

They have nothing to lose discriminating against people who live outside their LGAs who may own these vehicles, and only something to gain in the form of popularity with their electorate, if you live within 5KM radius of Melbourne CBD you won't usually own a Ranger, or a RAM.
Quote:
Council could slug ‘truckzillas’, utes and SUVs with higher parking fees

An inner-Melbourne council could become the first municipality in Australia to increase parking fees for so-called truckzilla twin-cab utes and large SUVs, due to concerns about their safety and environmental impact.

Yarra City Council – which includes Fitzroy, Richmond and Collingwood – will on Tuesday debate a motion from Greens councillor Sophie Wade asking the council to investigate ways to discourage large and heavy vehicles on Yarra’s streets, including “proportionate parking fees based on a
vehicle’s size”.

Wade said she was “following Paris’ lead” in putting up the proposal, after Paris residents voted in a mini-referendum last month to triple parking fees for large cars, part of a push to get big cars off the city’s streets before the Olympics later this year.

“Here in Aus, we’re seeing RAMs and ‘Defenders’ on the rise,” Wade wrote on Instagram. She said no other council had tried the idea.

“These are luxury vehicles, costing upwards of $100k, and they’re significantly more dangerous than smaller vehicles.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...08-p5fazj.html

See the theme creeping in constantly?

'Luxury vehicles'
'Costing upwards of $100K'

Then throw in the 'safety aspect' which Citroen rightly pointed out it has nothing to do with the green angle they're targeting:

Um, thats not an SUV Sophie

Was mentioned on AFF before that these people are in a minority and that just because they're loud that it won't effect the rest of us, or something along those lines.

They might be a minority but they're disproportionately powerful and hold significant influence where it counts. How quick have you seen a council move like this before?

Curious to see the effects of this, because our TAFE is in their LGA and a lot of the students have Thailand Specials, vans et al, you know cause electrical apprentices.

They only sell like 200-250 Silverados/RAMs a month, its just that they're prominent so they stick out like dogs balls, there's not that many of them on our roads.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2024, 01:35 PM   #2
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian fuel efficiency standards aimed at cutting petrol bills, 'catching up' with US

Quote:
Curious to see the effects of this, because our TAFE is in their LGA and a lot of the students have Thailand Specials, vans et al, you know cause electrical apprentices.
Yeah, that's how you separate the second year from the third year apprentices. The second year have a clapped out Hilux/Patrol/Ranger. The third year have a new Hilux or Ranger. The fourth year apprentices have it all kitted out with suspension GMV upgrades, camping kit, solar panels, and are usually towing a jet ski, high powered boat, or fully decked out camping trailer. The young sparkie in our street has so much kit hanging off his Ute, he could deploy tomorrow for the Gunbarrel Highway.

Quote:
I had a quick look at Sophie's web site, and she claims that she walks or catches public transport everywhere. Which is nice for those who don't have to lug around tools and materials to do their job.

In many respects the Greens are much like the 33% of kids who have no idea where milk comes from. They have no practical experience in dealing with making or installing something useful. Because they do not have these lived experiences, it doesn't exist or it is a fairy tale.

For example, it is really, really, hard to carry 20 solar panels (2m X 1m @ 22kg each), a solar PV inverter, conduit, and cables to install solar PV in the family home - using nothing but public transport. If it carn't be an SUV, then the only option is upwards in size. Like a Isuzu N-Series or a Fuso Canter.

(For some overloaded Tradie's vehicles, that might be a good thing. But that is another story.)
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2024, 02:10 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post

For example, it is really, really, hard to carry 20 solar panels (2m X 1m @ 22kg each), a solar PV inverter, conduit, and cables to install solar PV in the family home - using nothing but public transport. If it carn't be an SUV, then the only option is upwards in size. Like a Isuzu N-Series or a Fuso Canter.

(For some overloaded Tradie's vehicles, that might be a good thing. But that is another story.)
It's not impossible though, just a matter of thinking what's needed per jobsite and when.
I've worked in places where the trade guys will keep their stuff onsite and still want to park right in front of the front door for no reason other than being FN lazy.

When I work in $ydney I use public transport carrying a bag of hand tools.
Tons of sandstone can be delivered as can sand and cement, which I'll do regularly. Stone can show up onsite within a days order.
If its a job where I need star pickets, shovels etc these I can be dropped off via car/truck previous to starting said job.

Country Victoria is a totally different approach granite needs to be picked by myself from the quarry as it can not be pre delivered and simply cut to shape like NSW/QLD Sandstone.

And Melbourne, its back to a mix of PT or truck if needing to bring granite from outside. Melbourne's soft Blue stone is easy to work so can be delivered to site and worked into required shapes.

Any thing can be worked around if you are open to it, is my point.
Not for everyone but its a good mix.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2024, 02:37 PM   #4
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
If its a job where I need star pickets, shovels etc these I can be dropped off via car/truck previous to starting said job.
But, somebody, somewhere has to drive a delivery vehicle to get the materials to site. Be that SUV, van, light truck.
Old 10-03-2024, 02:45 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
But, somebody, somewhere has to drive a delivery vehicle to get the materials to site. Be that SUV, van, light truck.
Think of it as supporting another persons industry/business by having it delivered while I can still be onsite working and not wasting time driving around a city looking for supplies.
I like to feel the client is paying for the time being worked not stuffing around.

3 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 01:16 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's not impossible though, just a matter of thinking what's needed per jobsite and when.
I've worked in places where the trade guys will keep their stuff onsite and still want to park right in front of the front door for no reason other than being FN lazy.

Tons of sandstone can be delivered as can sand and cement, which I'll do regularly. Stone can show up onsite within a days order.

Country Victoria is a totally different approach granite needs to be picked by myself from the quarry as it can not be pre delivered and simply cut to shape like NSW/QLD Sandstone.

And Melbourne, its back to a mix of PT or truck if needing to bring granite from outside. Melbourne's soft Blue stone is easy to work so can be delivered to site and worked into required shapes.

may also have a van stacked with $???k+ plus of tools and bits - not a bucket full of rock chippers??
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 01:42 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
may also have a van stacked with $???k+ plus of tools and bits - not a bucket full of rock chippers??
Obviously haven't bought diamond tipped and tungten carbide hand tools have they.

This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 03:56 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

When I was last in the trade, a very well stocked vehicle was a must. You could be pulled of a job to go to another one at a minutes notice.
Leaving tools or materials onsite is like inviting thieves to your goods.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2024, 04:21 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
When I was last in the trade, a very well stocked vehicle was a must. You could be pulled of a job to go to another one at a minutes notice.
FFS........ Depends on what trade really. Yes, each of my trucks are well stocked but doesn't mean I need them at every site. It works for me.

3 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 04:26 PM   #10
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Spot on.
So much stuff knocked off these days.
Another factor is so many Builders going into liquidation.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2024, 04:43 PM   #11
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

'Luxury vehicles'

Then throw in the 'safety aspect' which Citroen rightly pointed out it has nothing to do with the green angle they're targeting:

Was mentioned on AFF before that these people are in a minority and that just because they're loud that it won't effect the rest of us, or something along those lines.

They might be a minority but they're disproportionately powerful and hold significant influence where it counts. How quick have you seen a council move like this before?

They only sell like 200-250 Silverados/RAMs a month, its just that they're prominent so they stick out like dogs balls, there's not that many of them on our roads.
The bowtie in that pic is at perfect height for the kids to see and gain a strong brand impression so they become future customers.
Old 10-03-2024, 09:38 PM   #12
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
The bowtie in that pic is at perfect height
as are bull bars. just right for smashing little kiddies brains in. I've said it before, but I've no idea why we still have these. If the council want to get on their high horse and ban something for 'safety' then how about look at these in the City?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2024, 09:45 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Without rigorous statistical analysis, simply recall of police/media reports - most squashed kids are run over in a familiar driveway by someone reversing at the commencement of an intended trip.

If people instead reversed into their driveways and also did a walk-around before getting in to drive away, many - if not nearly all - of these incidents would be mitigated.

Aside from this point of difference, I very much appreciate your experience/insight - particularly on issues of design conformity and specifications.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2024, 11:00 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
as are bull bars. just right for smashing little kiddies brains in. I've said it before, but I've no idea why we still have these. If the council want to get on their high horse and ban something for 'safety' then how about look at these in the City?
Because it's not about safety, it's about power and control wrapped up in a lovely shit sandwich, advertised as 'safety', it's the sprinkles they put on the shit sandwich to make it a bit more palatable to the public.

I don't like these vehicles SO YOU CAN'T HAVE ONE!

I'm the most rabid Thailand Special hater on this forum but god damn I'll go down on the sinking ship defending your ability to purchase and drive one, they'll need to take the keys of your precious Thailand Special from my cold dead hands

Unrelated but this is what I loved about Mt Druitt/Rooty Hill in Sydney, everyone minds their own business, here in Melbourne everyone's all up in each other's shit and that's why we got flog councilors running a war on what car you drive rather than making sure the bins get picked up and the grass gets cut.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 10-03-2024 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2024, 01:04 PM   #15
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
agree with you. It's been like this a long time, big bull bars on utes and wagons in the city. When I lived in Perth, a 17 yo boy was hit (on the sidewalk I recall) by one on Stirling hwy, just before exams. Truly sad. I'd removed the bar from my 60 for exactly that reason, not that it would help much in that situation.
Old 11-03-2024, 01:09 PM   #16
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The E-Scooters seem to be a total free for all, no regs; scooters hitting pedestrians, pedestrians taking out scooters, cars hitting scooters, night time knock downs, self inflicted injury:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/m...eb52f06bb49483

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...03-p5bmth.html
Old 11-03-2024, 07:52 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The E-Scooters seem to be a total free for all, no regs; scooters hitting pedestrians, pedestrians taking out scooters, cars hitting scooters, night time knock downs, self inflicted injury:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/m...eb52f06bb49483

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...03-p5bmth.html
They love these things in Campbellfield, see them all the time, recently one was fanging down Sydney Rd in amongst traffic and he left us all for dead, we were doing around 60km/h.

I think they need safety gear on par with motorbikes I reckon, proper helmet and gear up properly if you're going to fang along at those speeds on your e-scooter.

I got no dramas with people riding e-scooters keeping up with traffic, but like motorbike, wear the safety gear.
Old 11-03-2024, 08:38 PM   #18
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They love these things in Campbellfield, see them all the time, recently one was fanging down Sydney Rd in amongst traffic and he left us all for dead, we were doing around 60km/h.

I think they need safety gear on par with motorbikes I reckon, proper helmet and gear up properly if you're going to fang along at those speeds on your e-scooter.
I can top that ...

In QLD, the e-scooter speed limit is 25 kph and the rider must wear a helmet. Three houses down from me, the father bought his two teenage sons e-scooters to play with when the lads are staying over at Dad's. Both lads spend time on the weekends tearing up and down our suburban street (50kph speed limit for registered vehicles). I have stop-watched them at around 70 kph, and of course no helmet. A neighbour and I had a calm chat with the lads about the dangers of not wearing a helmet and to watch their speed in a street that children play in. For our troubles, we got some backchat from the father about having a go at his teenage boys. The next option is to go to the police with security camera footage (which would prove no helmets and give a good indication of their speed). But, given all of the other more pressing societal problems the police have to put up with, I doubt they would have the time. If their father is not going to set boundaries, then in a few years time they will probably go silly once they get their car/bike licence.

But, look on the bright side, the e-scooter is highly energy efficient transport that will help Australia meet its CO2 emissions target (along with maiming and killing innocent bystanders).
Old 11-03-2024, 01:15 PM   #19
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
agree with you. It's been like this a long time, big bull bars on utes and wagons in the city. When I lived in Perth, a 17 yo boy was hit (on the sidewalk I recall) by one on Stirling hwy, just before exams. Truly sad. I'd removed the bar from my 60 for exactly that reason, not that it would help much in that situation.
What if you travel 50:50 between city and country?
What if you drive country every weekend?
‘No bull bars’ screams like it’s from out of touch city dwellers who haven’t realised people live in areas past the 60kmh zone.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2024, 11:48 PM   #20
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
What if you travel 50:50 between city and country?
What if you drive country every weekend?
‘No bull bars’ screams like it’s from out of touch city dwellers who haven’t realised people live in areas past the 60kmh zone.
That'd be me...
Never had one, will never have one, never needed one and still here to tell the tale. Just another accessory being sold to you like Maxx trax and Bush chook mudflaps.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2024, 12:32 AM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
That'd be me...
Never had one, will never have one, never needed one and still here to tell the tale. Just another accessory being sold to you like Maxx trax and Bush chook mudflaps.
My favorite is those plastic 'roo whistle' things, I'm calling bullshit on those.
Old 13-03-2024, 02:14 AM   #22
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
That'd be me...
Well it’s all about reducing the risk.
I’ve never come off any of my motorbikes on the road. Doesn’t mean I don’t need a helmet when riding one.
I did 3 months driving a truck from the SW into Perth every day and seen enough roo damaged cars sitting on the side of Forest and Bussel highways to make me think twice before driving at night.
Old 11-03-2024, 12:59 AM   #23
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

'Luxury vehicles'

Wouldn’t be surprised if more children and pedestrians are injured by rouge cyclists and E scooter riders than vehicles the greens love to hate.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 08:04 AM   #24
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Wouldn’t be surprised if more children and pedestrians are injured by rouge cyclists and E scooter riders than vehicles the greens love to hate.
Thats exactly right.
I pick up elderly in a mini bus.
There is one 90 year old near a school zone.
I park on the street.
I have pleaded with this lady -when you get to your letter box look left and right.
Cause the kids are off to school on ebikes bikes and scooters and their vision is to the straight ahead no left and right.
And the elderly lady still hasnt learnt to look left and right.
We try to manage by reversing into her drive but not always possible with the busy traffic flow.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: