Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > Eurofordclub.com > EuroFordClub.com

EuroFordClub.com European Ford Owners Club of Australia forum

Old 05-12-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Default Fast Eddie Fangs It In A Fast Euroford

Friday, 2nd December 2005 at Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney, N.S.W. It's 4.30pm and I get instructions to suit up ready for my hot laps in one of the fastest Ford Focus' in Australia.

My hotlaps are to be taken in the Ford Focus ST170 owned by Darren and Treena Best and driven by Darren in the Australian Production Car Championship that visits most circuits around Australia throughout the racing calender year.

The weather on the day is very hot and humid but once I put my racesuit,gloves and full-face helmet on the adrenalin is pumping and all is forgotten about the heat. Climbing in is an art-form in itself (I've got the photo to prove it) as the full roll cage that adourns the interior of the racecar makes it's presence. But, once in and securily harnessed, we're ready!

Exiting pitlane Darren nails the accelerator and the car is soon up to speed. The rasp of the exhaust enters the cabin but it really has a 'mongrel' sound to it. The first lap is just a warm-up but it feels seriously fast and it's not until the last turn appears and the 1.1km straight it 'there for the taking'.

The ST170 Production racecar has the 6 speed gearbox, but today we're only using 5th gear at the end of the straight and into turn one. I glance over at the speedo and it's nudging 180km/h and revving to 7000 r.p.m. It's all under control. Whilst circulating and going down the straight, other racecars are also out on the track taking their passengers on hotlaps. One such racecar is a Ferrari F360 Michellotto. It passes us on the straight as if we're standing still!! Lucky passenger! Not that I'm complaining. Darren is concentrating hard and I'm relaxed enjoying the ride. The Cobra raceseat is a perfect match for my frame and without it you'd struggle for lateral support. I give the thumbs up to Darren!! The speedo is reading 160km/h at the apex of turn 1 (as I remember it) and soon it's time to brake for the turn 2/3 combination. This is where I find that seated in the Cobra raceseat pays for itself alone. Although, the harness could be a tad tighter!

The laps progress and over the lefthand Corporate Hill section the Focus has some understeer at the apex. Darren makes a slight adjustment and it's all under control.

During the hotlap it's all a fairly famililiar feeling from the passenger seat. The view out the windscreen etc. and the handling is reminiscent of my road-going focus but, of course, the modified suspension in the racecar and the race-spec tyres come into the equation of keeping the Focus firmly planted on the tarmac. The other huge difference between the road and racecar are the brakes. From my understanding, rotors are standard but brakepads are free. The ST170 just stops so well!!

On the engine side, the big difference also is the freedom to use a non-factory Engine Control Unit. The most popular is MOTEC. It boosts power considerably after it's been dyno tuned. It's a 'trade secret' and I'd have to kill you if I told you but it's a fairly good gain in power and torque over the Factory ST170. The figure quoted is a 'at the wheel' measurement.

The session comes to end before you know it and as we're going back into pitlane I'm grinning like there's no tomorrow and I'm greeted at the pitbay and register my pleasure to Darren's team.

My sincere thanks goes to Darren and Treena Best, and his team members Pete and Frank for allowing me the pleasure of riding in the racecar, to Gary Mennell from the A.M.R.S. for giving me the 'go ahead' and last-but-not-least the ACE photographer on the day, Whippet-Zetec. Thanks for coming along mate! You're always good company.

P.S. Those ELF Girls are sensational!!

Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #2
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Excellent news Eddie - I look forward to seeing the photos!

Timmeh
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
whippet_zetec
Supes

some pics from the day out with Eddie are now on the EFC site.

http://www.eurofordclub.com/gallery/...-December-2005

http://www.eurofordclub.com/gallery/.../IMG_4643_copy
http://www.eurofordclub.com/gallery/.../IMG_4546_copy
http://www.eurofordclub.com/gallery/.../IMG_4575_copy
http://www.eurofordclub.com/gallery/.../IMG_4832_copy

Todd
Old 06-12-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Timmeh, there are some photo's on my camera but unfortunately my other photographer moved the camera and as a consequence they're a bit blurry but still o.k. Hey maybe we can have a look at them at the end of the night @ h.b.c. and they might become clearer!!!
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Heh, sounds good! Looking forward to seeing you at the end of year dinner.

At first glance it looked like they had the passenger door resprayed but upon closer inspection it still appears to be the same as before.

Still a fantastic looking car, love seeing it. Lucky you for getting a ride Eddie!

Timmeh
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
whippet_zetec
Supes