Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Default Finally! I Applaud a Journo for once.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...-of-2010-22888

Ken Gratton - News Editor
Quote:
I'm going to make myself unpopular with members of the brotherhood here, but my gripe is the constant fixation of journalists with Ford's local manufacturing/indigenous Falcon design future. We just go round and round in circles with sections of the press beating the same drum over and over again.

If even Ford Australia doesn't yet know how the post-2015 Falcon will look, why bother with ill-informed speculation -- and yes, some of it is certainly ill-informed and misreported, as we know from the Detroit show early in the year.

The parochial syndrome is now well-known among Ford's higher-placed executives too, with Alan Mulally telling one Aussie journalist at the Paris Motor Show that he wouldn't discuss Falcon -- since he would be just repeating the same thing he has told this journalist for the past 18 months to two years.

While I don't subscribe to the view that negative reporting is necessarily a self-fulfilling prophecy as then-CEO Rob McEniry suggested of the ABC's coverage when Mitsubishi's local manufacturing was looking less sustainable, I'm sure that Holden and Toyota would be pleased not to be in Ford's shoes at the present.

Last edited by Auslandau; 30-12-2010 at 08:56 PM.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2015..Taurus??????
Old 30-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the dipstick knocks his fellow journo`s for negative reporting and then the last line has a swipe at ford ? gee what a surprise.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
the dipstick knocks his fellow journo`s for negative reporting and then the last line has a swipe at ford ? gee what a surprise.
was thinking the same thing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had me till the last paragraph... Backhanded compliment?

Old 30-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must have realised he was not being negative enough towards Ford so had to throw in that last unnecessary line

Edit: actually re reading that, it seems like he is saying that Holden and Toyota would be glad to not have the media report on them like they are Ford.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Mechz
Starter Motor

Not really a swipe so much as telling it like it is. Ford Au is between a rock and a hard place, no one can deny that.
Mechz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
GTP-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechz
Not really a swipe so much as telling it like it is. Ford Au is between a rock and a hard place, no one can deny that.
I disagree, Falcon was the best selling 6 cylinder sedan last month, Ford didnt get bailed out by the US government like Holdens parent company did.
Ford has got a new deisel territory and petrol model coming out soon aswell as ecoboost 4 cylinder technology and a new generation 6 cylinder lpg motor and some pretty hot turbo sixes and blown v8s that kick the crap out there competitors product.

Not to mention eco boost 6 cylinder v6 technology which is very impressive in the US aswell as winning the v8 supercar championship the last three years running despite Holdens attempt to monopolise the series, its not all doom and gloom for Ford Aus.
Old 30-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I subscribe to the belief that the local industry needs all three of the remaining manufacturers to
maintain the necessary parts supplier base in this country and while we may slag off at Holden
and Toyota, our local industry would be imperiled by the loss of any one of them.

Later this year, both Holden and Ford will make decisions on replacement vehicles beyond 2015
yet there were (ughhh...) journalists pronouncing all kinds of decisions this year, to me that is highly
reprehensible and stinks of desperation due to complete lack of information - fabricated nonsense.

We still have five more years on this product cycle and much to accomplish in that time
so I doubt that many would know what vehicles wil be needed by then or what technology
will be available. so it's quite improper to say this or that car must be built.

Enjoy and support the cars we have now or else they might just go away.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
Must have realised he was not being negative enough towards Ford so had to throw in that last unnecessary line

Edit: actually re reading that, it seems like he is saying that Holden and Toyota would be glad to not have the media report on them like they are Ford.

Thats exactly what i read the first time.
Seems pretty positive to me

EDIT: very well said JPD80 spoken like a professional

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute

Last edited by sxckevo; 30-12-2010 at 10:43 PM.
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Harden up people, he is just telling the truth.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #12
Kryton

The only issue Ford have is that there are more Holden bogans than there are Ford bogans.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 01:56 AM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Australia's problem is getting product to the market. They seem to be 18-24 months behind their competitors. New Tezza should have been here 18 months ago, same with Focus. Supply issues with Europe etc. This needs to be correcting. No point having a car and telling a customer "it will be here in 6 months" Customers will go elsewhere. Ford need to get their act together.
Old 31-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think he is talking about the misreported journalism and he is not attacking Ford, actually it is to the contrary, he seems to be saying that Ford is under constant attack from the Australian motoring media, and he is sticking up for Ford. In fact, that is so clear to me (and 5.0), I can't see why people here are accusing him of "taking a swipe at Ford." Must be very sensitive people?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
The Snout

A few people need a concrete milkshake.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #16
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Id suggest you read only the first paragraph and take note of that. This I base off his reaction when I told him of the drivel article RE: Falcon being sold in the USA.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #17
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
A few people need a concrete milkshake.
+1

The last paragraph (in my opinon) was not a backhand comment at Ford. Rather it acknowledges Ford is in a difficult position, a position neither Holden or Toyota would like to find themselves in.
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0

+2 pretty sure thats what he was trying to imply...the other 2 are lucky not to have negative news brought onto them by the media over and over again.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I think he is talking about the misreported journalism and he is not attacking Ford, actually it is to the contrary, he seems to be saying that Ford is under constant attack from the Australian motoring media, and he is sticking up for Ford. In fact, that is so clear to me (and 5.0), I can't see why people here are accusing him of "taking a swipe at Ford." Must be very sensitive people?
Exactly....

Everything he has writen in that short statement is pro Ford, ease up on the Xmas/New years guy's, it's bringing out the paranoia in ya....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post