Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
whingey

Default Finally! Cheaper insurance for special vehicles.

I just insured both coupes with Lumleys special vehicle insurance. Shannons were charging me $460 for the XA for 50k worth of cover and $396 for the XC with 35k coverage. Lumleys is insuring both coupes comprehensively for $390. For $390 I get to keep the wreck, get my windscreen replaced for free and an excess of $250. The combined insurance value is 75k which covers the XA for 40k and the XC for 35k. Hasta la vista Shannons.
Whingey

Private messageJabber

whingey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Re: Finally! Cheaper insurance for special vehicles.

Do you get choice of repearier if need be ?.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 24-05-2011 at 12:39 PM.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
whingey

Yep, sure do.
Old 24-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You must live in a state that is still 20 years behind with insurance and excess prices like that. Try living in Melbourne or Sydney, premium will triple and excess doubles. I would say you either live in South Aus or Tassie.

But it is pretty cheap, wish my car would cost me that to insure. I paid $950 last year and that was with my 50 percent employee discount with Just car.

Last edited by xisled; 24-05-2011 at 12:35 PM.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
SVTVNM
Guzzler

I did the same thing last year , saving nearly $1000 a year for 2 cars through Lumleys
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
whingey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
You must live in a state that is still 20 years behind with insurance and excess prices like that. Try living in Melbourne or Sydney, premium will triple and excess doubles. I would say you either live in South Aus or Tassie.

But it is pretty cheap, wish my car would cost me that to insure. I pay $950 last year and that was with ym 50 percent employee discount.
I live an hour from Sydney.
Old 24-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whingey

WOW that is great. New South Wales is the most expensive state to insure a car. Great work.
Old 24-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
I just insured both coupes with Lumleys special vehicle insurance. Shannons were charging me $460 for the XA for 50k worth of cover and $396 for the XC with 35k coverage. Lumleys is insuring both coupes comprehensively for $390. For $390 I get to keep the wreck, get my windscreen replaced for free and an excess of $250. The combined insurance value is 75k which covers the XA for 40k and the XC for 35k. Hasta la vista Shannons.
Whingey

Private messageJabber
Yep, i switched over one year ago and both cars insured for the same price Shannons insured one for. Shannons are getting way too dear.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Nice. I might give them a call.

I am with Shannons for my AU, obviously not a classic but I had my XD with with then never bothered to change. Im pay $580 full comp for a car with a market value of what...$5000 if I am lucky (got a $3k LPG system).

When I get some time I will call around again, Shannons have been nothing but disappointing to say the least.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
whingey

If Shannons redirected some of their advertising budget to giving a cheaper rate then maybe people wouldn't be leaving in droves. G.O.G.G.O....
Old 24-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
FOMOCO 1
Munch Munch GM's 4 Lunch

Guys Lumley is great and had been with them for 15 yrs + but can I recommend Ryno Insurance they are fantastic, all the same perks but with good old fashoined service and common sense. Underwritten by LLoyds of London too, so they are not fly by nighters either.
FOMOCO 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
whingey

For some reason there are die hard supporters of Shannons regardless of cost. A few forums I've posted this thread on say it's the end of the world if we switch from Shannons. Maybe it stems from the ad of the bloke cuddling up to his XY GT? I've had responses such as "yeah but wait till you make a claim". How do they know?? Obviously they're not insured with Lumleys but they're willing to sledge them without any foundation or dealings with them. I find it bizarre.
Old 24-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I can tell you know I had huge hassles getting my AU fixed through a Shannons THEIR preferred repairer. I just gave up as it was wasting my time.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I never had trouble with Shannons using my own preffered Repairer but after the last 3yrs having to call back receiving my renewals with the agreed values dropping and finally this year they wouldn't budge I inquiried through Ryno Insurance just a few months ago.
Great over the phone and agreed to all my requests slightly cheaper annually (sydney metro) - many other T owners have done the same of late.
Ryno must be picking up plenty new business at Shannons inflexability.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #15
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lumley is a huge company, they are owned by Westfarmers (bunnings).

Shannos used to be a good insurance company, but since Suncorp took over ownership of Prominia. Promina owned Shannons before Suncorp. Many things have changed. Including shannons personal approch with there customer service people. Shannons used to have car enthusiasts that knew there stuff, working for them but since the Suncorp take over, the call centers are becoming more main stream and it has lost it's personal touch.

So Shannons once upon a time was the place to have your classic car, weekender, and high performance car insured with them, but since the take over it has lost its touch and become more like any other insurance company.
Old 24-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Would probably have to be more specific - I live an hour from Sydney. Liverpool.

Currently pay $2900 for my F6. Probably not considered a special vehicle.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Would probably have to be more specific - I live an hour from Sydney. Liverpool.

Currently pay $2900 for my F6. Probably not considered a special vehicle.
I got a quote from them for my 2005 BA GT.

I have had this car insured with AAMI for 3-4 years, with agreed value of $38,000, Full NC, unrestricted kms with a premium of $1,800 p.a , $500 general excess per claim and a $500 driver under 25 excess. Aged 48 , no claims and 2 speeding fines in past 5 yrs and licensed since 1978. Live in Sutherland area - 30 minutes South of Sydney. Looking at buying a daily driver shortly from which time the GT usage will be cut in half from its current 9,500 to 5,000 kms a year.

Premium quoted by Lumley was $1,100, but can't use it more than twice a month or do more than 5,000 kms a year and be used for recreational use only (ie, it likely won't be covered if parked on a busy city street on say a Monday afternoon or overnight at a friends place not garaged). The most they would insure for was $28,000. They had an issue whether the GT was a vehicle they would insure given that

(1) it's relatively new and not a classic , despite being special,
(2) because the GT is my only car (for now) they see it as my daily driver even though I don't use it to travel to work or use a great deal anyway.
(3) I'm not a member of a car club

No one criteria would rule it out, just a mix of the above. i.e they said they would cover it if I had a second car, despite not meeting the other 2 criteria;

Ryno on the other hand for the a premium of $980 will allow an agreed value of $35,000 and an 8,000 km limit with no restrictions on number of times used, provided its not daily use (not sure how they would define or prove that)

So, in summary I think this Lumley offering is more suited to owners of old classics - X series etc who use their cars stricly for cruises and shows and otherwise keep them locked away
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #18
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally???

Been around for many years, first as Torque, then LSV, I've posted about them many times but many people are blindsided by Shannons' advertising

3 cars valued at $350K, premium is 900 bucks....in Sydney.

Shannons quoted $3K, I've argued with Shannons over this, as I can only drive one at a time so the risk is very low. LSV have always seen it my way so they get the nod.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #19
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I've been using LSV since 2007 when I purchased my Cobra ute.
I've even posted about them before when I heard over FPV owners paying $1500+ for their car insurance.
They even have a special policy if you dont use your car as a daily and travel less than 10,000kms/year.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #20
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Finally???

3 cars valued at $350K, premium is 900 bucks....in Sydney.

Stefan, that's what I find difficult to reconcile - I have one car which they value at $28,000 and the premium is $1,100 also in Sydney, or is that $900 you were quoted per car?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seams insurance has gone up majorly lately, at least NRMA.

I've always wanted a 300c SRT8, so I did a quote for insurance early this year for one, I got quoted about $3300 premium with $600 excess.

I re-quoted today, similar car, same location. Got a $4300 Premium with $800 excess! How could prices skyrocket so quickly!

As you can guess If I didn't buy one with 3K insurance, there is no way I would go near one at 4k insurance.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #22
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Stefan, that's what I find difficult to reconcile - I have one car which they value at $28,000 and the premium is $1,100 also in Sydney, or is that $900 you were quoted per car?

All of them mate, but as I said the reasoning is none are my daily cars, so only weekenders and I can only use one at a time. The premium only went up by 200 when I bought the second X series GT.

I'm also a club member.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #23
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

LSV have my cars insured same deal as Stefan. I can only drive one at a time in reality so they gear the premium around that fact saving heaps against shannons. The guy I dealt with at LSV said we like insuring enthusiasts cars as the claims are minimal compared to general insurance and seeing as they (LSV) do not offer insurance on just cars they do not need to pad the premiums to cover claims in that sector of the business like others who do insure regular vehicles recieving many claims.
What I also found with Lumleys is they do offer decent agreed values for the car enthusiast without the drama and haggling that shannons seem to enjoy putting you thru.
TE50 agreed value rose this renewal they said in their opinion it was under insured which leads me to believe they actually watch the market something shannons dont seem to be able to do of late.
My policy is not defined by Km its a limited use "collection" policy eg a couple of outings a month per car however if I choose to take one of the cars away on a trip say annual leave for a few weeks it is covered in all circumstances.
Premium $1200 anually for the lot located in Newcastle.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #24
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i changed over from shannons last year as well got the 4 cars and the harleys cheaper than they wanted for just 2 cars and the bikes,its been about 5 weeks since last drove any of them as have a company car but shannons wouldnt budge
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #25
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Finally! Cheaper insurance for special vehicles.

Hi all
I have a 72 Mustang
I got a quote of $154 with a $200 excess for $15k value
from Shannons
and I can pay by the month
and from Ryno it was $198 with an excess of $300
for a value of $20k
also with pay by the month
Ryno didnt need my Mustang to be registered as its still
not quite ready for the road they just wanted the Vin number
both were for club rego cars and I also have a rating one
on my daily cars not with them though also Im 64
so much of a muchness
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #26
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

delete, n/a
Old 25-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #27
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

I would consider changing but shannons insure my house, garage and 3 cars........I might be able to get Lu let's to do better on the two classics but the wife's car and house and contents will have to go through other insurers......starts to get a little messy.
I made a claim through shannons ( not at fault) and nothing was questioned at all- they couldn't have been more helpful but I agree, the pricing is getting a little too high.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #28
sanchoXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAREV8
I would consider changing but shannons insure my house, garage and 3 cars........I might be able to get Lu let's to do better on the two classics but the wife's car and house and contents will have to go through other insurers......starts to get a little messy.
I made a claim through shannons ( not at fault) and nothing was questioned at all- they couldn't have been more helpful but I agree, the pricing is getting a little too high.
Im in the same boat, 5 cars & house with shannons. I also had a not at fault claim a few years ago and they were really helpful. I just got my renewal a few weeks ago and they have increased the values of the cars. I do agree that the people on the phone are not as keen or friendly as they used to be.

I might still give lumleys a call, wont hurt to get a quote. Do lumleys offer greenslips? I have been getting them through shannons as well for about $100cheaper than any other greenslip I can find.
sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #29
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Whenever I check Lumley and Ryno don't cover XR8's!!! :(

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #30
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I just got a quote from Rihno, XAGT insured for $35k for $349 a year. Comprehensive insurance for less than 4000km a year. Its a very good price as I am currently under insured with RACV for $19000 and it cost over $500. I did contact LSV but they haven't got back to me yet, where as Rihno got back to me the very next day. Shannons wouldn't insure my car as I don't have it locked in a shed.
I will be switching to Rihno this week.