Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Clarkson loses satnav money

Clarkson loses satnav money
By Mark HinchliffeThe Courier-Mail04 November 2011EmailPrint+-
... presumably when you arrive at your destination Clarkson says "and on that bombshell it is time to end the show".
TOP Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson won't get a cent out of the new TomTom ...

... GO LIVE Top Gear edition satnav released in Australia this week with his voice providing directions.

The BBC has ruled that the deal would breach the corporation's editorial policy banning endorsements of commercial products.

Under the conflict of interest section of the BBC's editorial guidelines, presenters "must take particular care not to endorse any product or service which could be covered in the programmes on which they work".

The international broadcaster has now struck an agreement that all of their revenue from the deal will go to BBC Children in Need together with a donation from TomTom.

The satnav is now available in Australia for $299 and features "Jeremy Clarkson's soothing, helpful voice".

Some of his quotes include:

* After 700 yards - presumably this car can make it that far - you have reached your destination with the aid of 32 satellites and me. Well done;
* Ahead, keep left, and, if you're not sure which side left is, you really shouldn't be on the road;
* Go around the roundabout, sixth exit, or do what you just usually do; guess blindly and end up on an industrial estate; your choice; and
* Take the motorway; you can't miss it. It's a big lump of tarmac full of caravans and traffic cones.

And presumably when you arrive at your destination Clarkson says: "and on that bombshell it is time to end the show".

Other Top Gear features on the satnav are a "Stig" silent mode, points of interest such as race tracks and race ways, car icons, Top Gear start-up and shut-down screens and speed camera warnings.

The TomTom GO LIVE Top Gear edition GPS also includes free live traffic services for one year, weather reports, local search with Google, hands-free navigation with voice control and hands-free calling via Bluetooth.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Clarkson loses satnav money

That's really odd...so, does the BBC own you when you aren't actually working for them?
The guidelines are pretty broad too...one would assume they can't show thier faces anywhere at all on any advertising that could possibly have anything in the slightest way to do with any motoring items at all, if it's "Likely to be featured on the show".

I've been looking at updating our old GPS for the Celica (the G6E has it built in)...I think I'll get one of these. "No! Turn left now! Turn left! Oh for gods sake...make a u-turn when possible, you half-wit..."
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have they got a voice for Captain Slow? . . That would be funny lol.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike
Have they got a voice for Captain Slow? . . That would be funny lol.
Not really...but..http://james-may.tumblr.com/post/9686229731
Old 05-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
BlueFG2

I can only think that after half an hour I would get fed up with my gps system insulting my driving before I put it in "stig" mode
BlueFG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How is Clarksons voice part of the contract with BBC ????
Kinda clutching at straws I think.... but it would be funny to have all three voices on a GPS.

I know some GPS's allow you to download different voices, so what they (the top gear team) shoulda done was maybe make public domain for anyone to download instead of just TomTom?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Sounds like it is a "Top Gear Edition" GPS rather then just having Clarksons voice on a normal model.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
GT-E

I still think Yoda does a better job..."Arrive at your destination, you have, may the force be with you"
Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
I still think Yoda does a better job..."Arrive at your destination, you have, may the force be with you"
yeah, yoda is cool. 'in 200m, turn right you will'.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Under the conflict of interest section of the BBC's editorial guidelines, presenters "must take particular care not to endorse any product or service which could be covered in the programmes on which they work".
That right there is the issue.
His endorsement of a product which may one day be on the show in one way or another.
Its not about his voice or what he does out side of work hours, its about the product itself and the endorsement of it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
fmc351
let it burn

BBC is like our ABC, and they have always had advertising restrictions. Advertising and endorsement is much the same thing, yet funnily enough, certain vehicles have clearly been endorsed or **** canned on TopGear.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
BBC is like our ABC, and they have always had advertising restrictions. Advertising and endorsement is much the same thing, yet funnily enough, certain vehicles have clearly been endorsed or **** canned on TopGear.
It would be like banning Clarkson from owning a Mercedes (the one he constantly tells us about), or Captain Slow owning his Ferrari, or Hamster owning his Porsche 911 (as they all do), because those cars might "one day be featured on the show". Doesn't make sense.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
It would be like banning Clarkson from owning a Mercedes (the one he constantly tells us about), or Captain Slow owning his Ferrari, or Hamster owning his Porsche 911 (as they all do), because those cars might "one day be featured on the show". Doesn't make sense.
No, it would be nothing like it.
It would be like any of them being PAID to get up and endorse Mercedes Benz.
Owning something and being PAID to say how great (or whatever) something is, is 2 different issues.
An issue that is in their contracts.
I really dont see how people dont understand it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must be a pain for the three of them...some of the most recognisable motoring faces in the world, and they are apparently banned from appearing in any endorsements for anything at all motoring related...no wonder the BBC whinges about not being able to retain talent.

It's a vicious cycle...you're famous because of the show, which attracts people making car parts of other car-related items because you are so well known, yet you aren't allowed to cash in on any of it because you appear on the show...
Old 06-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

they are also paid quite well, so hardly need endorsements.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a bit hypocritical when they're paid by BBC to endorse the plethora of TG-related merchandise, events, etc.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
a bit hypocritical when they're paid by BBC to endorse the plethora of TG-related merchandise, events, etc.
BBC own Top Gear and I suspect that the talents' contracts bind them exclusively. The programs are very expensive and the more BBC make out of it the more silly things we get to see.

We have all seen what happens when commercial entities try to make "top gear like substances".

Can you imagine Top Gear Australia with 350km/h road runs, machine guns, general hooning on roads, racing, doing strange things in very unroadworthy cars?

Even the AFF nanny brigade would be so horrified they would start the same sort of beat up threads they do for other event let alone the Scruby worshipper association of Victoria......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #18
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Must be a pain for the three of them...some of the most recognisable motoring faces in the world, and they are apparently banned from appearing in any endorsements for anything at all motoring related...no wonder the BBC whinges about not being able to retain talent.

It's a vicious cycle...you're famous because of the show, which attracts people making car parts of other car-related items because you are so well known, yet you aren't allowed to cash in on any of it because you appear on the show...
Although youd have to ask would they have that fame if it wasnt for the BBC giving the show a go? Bit like here, Mythbusters and TG were all on SBS, until it reached its level of fame the major networks never bothered with them. If the public funded broadcasters never bothered, we likely would never have heard of them.

If TG went to a normal network, there wouldnt be any restrictions on endorsements, unless it interfered with other contract obligations the network had.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
BBC own Top Gear and I suspect that the talents' contracts bind them exclusively.
Not quite. They do have outside interests. Clarkson writes books, Hammond and May hosts TV series.

Strictly speaking, endorsing a satnav isnt a conflict of interest - TG has never once reviewed satnavs.

OTOH, Clarkson's driving DVDs are very much in the vein of TG and yet somehow ARENT a conflict of interest? Willing to bet he has to pay them a royalty....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #20
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
OTOH, Clarkson's driving DVDs are very much in the vein of TG and yet somehow ARENT a conflict of interest? Willing to bet he has to pay them a royalty....
Probably has them distributed through the BBC.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post