Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-07-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default how can two identical cars be so different?

I know a bloke that bought two G6 fg falcons, one has 71,000km and the other has 77,000km. So pretty similar, both non turbo 6s and builds within a year of each other. He bought them both recently within 2 months of each other.

He said to me that they both drive completely different.. feel different..

He let me drive them back to back. Here were my observations..

Both cars in good condition and look as new. No known accidents or repairs.

- steering felt different, one felt smoother and easier where the other felt like there was more feedback from road but not as smooth. Nothing wrong with either but just different
- throttle response, one was more eager to kickdown, the other seemed to hang onto gears a bit more.. like it needed more of a jab of the throttle to get away
- engine response. One felt more torquey down low where the other felt like it went better above 4000rpm? Doing a flat throttle acceleration run.

Should two identical cars feel very similar or will mileage make them feel different over time (even though km are similar)

Or does ford tinker and make changes on the run as they build these cars? They both feel very different for whatever reason.

Or will even identical cars feel different to drive?
Old 17-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
prydey
Rob

Default Re: how can two identical cars be so different?

disconnect the batteries to erase any 'memory' that affects engine and gearbox operation.

70000km is a reasonable amount of water to pass under the bridge. what tyres and pressures?

many many variables, and top of the list is the fact they are mass produced on a production line so there will be variations.
Old 17-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
superyob
Banned

Within that year between builds maybe modifications were made to the steering geometry or rack and pinion ratios? As for the eagerness of the kickdown, could slightly different computer programming be responsible or a sensor that is not functioning as efficiently?
Old 17-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why did he buy two second hand G6s with roughly the same Kays?
Old 17-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Why did he buy two second hand G6s with roughly the same Kays?
Father and son. I think they are going to eventually mod them identical as well.

I know of two brothers years ago that bought identical spec commodores, same colour, options everything. They bought them both brand new on the same day. They too complained the cars felt considerably different even from new.
Old 17-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

70000km is a reasonable amount of water to pass under the bridge. what tyres and pressures?
Dont know what tyres or pressures. Didnt take notice.

If 70000km can make two cars feel considerably different, imagine how different two cars would drive with 200,000km each.
Old 17-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #7
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had 3 FG utes in my last job all from new, the one babied and taken care of was a slug performance wise, the others were thrashed from day 1 and went like the proverbial off a shovel.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 17-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
Sprint XR8

Are they the same transmissions? One might be a five speed or a 4 speed with LPG egas.
Old 17-07-2015, 11:36 PM   #9
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I can say by reading many of your threads you sure do know a lot of people Hulk!
Old 17-07-2015, 11:52 PM   #10
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Father and son. I think they are going to eventually mod them identical as well.

I know of two brothers years ago that bought identical spec commodores, same colour, options everything. They bought them both brand new on the same day. They too complained the cars felt considerably different even from new.
Is that necessarily a problem?
Old 17-07-2015, 11:57 PM   #11
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
All I can say by reading many of your threads you sure do know a lot of people Hulk!
I live in Sydney, alongside a few million other people. Yes i do know more than a few of them.

But back on topic, id expect a few differences from an e series but the FG you would think would have to be pretty consistent build to build.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #12
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeXB View Post
Are they the same transmissions? One might be a five speed or a 4 speed with LPG egas.
Same spec. Both petrol. Only difference is the colour of the cars.
Old 18-07-2015, 12:12 AM   #13
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I remember a similiar feeling a few years ago when I was looking at g6ets, Terry's or Rangers. The Rangers were all new and felt identical. The Falcons all had low Kays and felt identical..... But the Territories felt noticeable diff. Thought it was rather weird at the time.
Put it down to above mentioned things like the cup self learning driving styles.....perhaps different oils in them and other small things.

I'd say it's highly expected once there's a few Kays under a cars belt.
Old 18-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm stuck on why the on earth you'd buy two of the same cars period.

I get why a bloke would buy a runabout and then a turbo or V8 for fun but I see no practical reason why you'd buy two G6 Falcons unless you had a taxi license.

I'm pretty dissapointed in this Hulk Friday thread
Old 18-07-2015, 12:29 AM   #15
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I'm stuck on why the on earth you'd buy two of the same cars period.

I get why a bloke would buy a runabout and then a turbo or V8 for fun but I see no practical reason why you'd buy two G6 Falcons unless you had a taxi license.

I'm pretty dissapointed in this Hulk Friday thread

it's a father and son who have purchased....
Old 18-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #16
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
I had 3 FG utes in my last job all from new, the one babied and taken care of was a slug performance wise, the others were thrashed from day 1 and went like the proverbial off a shovel.
Many years back I worked for Mazda, head mechanic was a big advocate of hammering new cars, including his and his families, for the first 1000k's. Was adamant after years of taking engines apart that those run in hard had better internals and performed better.
Old 18-07-2015, 12:45 AM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000 View Post
it's a father and son who have purchased....
Ah yes I overlooked that. Would have been better if it was put in the OP but then again that would be pretty simple.
Old 18-07-2015, 12:52 AM   #18
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id say one was babied, other driven properley.

I many times, actually, have driven hire cars that are gutless, but within 50km of good thrashing really start to get a lot better. Quite amazing.
Old 18-07-2015, 12:58 AM   #19
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even if two cars roll off the assembly line one after another it is unlikely they will be identical given machining tolerances ect. Although when brand new it's unlikely you could feel a noticeable difference. But add 70,000km of driving and difference ambient conditions they will not age and wear the same.
Old 18-07-2015, 01:44 AM   #20
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Dont know what tyres or pressures. Didnt take notice.
Next time you’re BBQing with them ask what the tyres and pressures are.

It also wouldn’t hurt to find out if they are also running different grades of oil in the engine, trans and diff.

What fuel are they using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T
Is one of them red?
6 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2015, 02:24 AM   #21
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a bloke with two of the exact same BBQs, done the same amount of parties. I swear one of them always turns medium-rare steaks into well done! How does that work?!

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
Old 18-07-2015, 02:45 AM   #22
atmoxr6

1 built before and 1 built after jun/jul '10 maybe, 1 euro 3 and 1 euro 4, different cat an slightly different tune for euro 4 as far as i know.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #23
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No such thing as 2 identical cars...
4 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I know a bloke that bought two G6 fg falcons, one has 71,000km and the other has 77,000km.
2 secondhand cars, 2 different owners, 2 different driving styles. Solved.
Old 18-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #25
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Ah yes I overlooked that. Would have been better if it was put in the OP but then again that would be pretty simple.
Sometimes juat consider the issue asked rather than trying to debunk irrelevant particulars.
Old 18-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #26
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember a loan car we had at work about 10 years ago. An AU Series 3 Forte. It was a freak. Everyone wanted to drive it, went like a scalded cat. Its the reality of mass production. Some are exceptional, some are poor, most fall somewhere in between.
Old 18-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #27
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
I know a bloke that bought two G6 fg falcons, one has 71,000km and the other has 77,000km. So pretty similar, both non turbo 6s and builds within a year of each other. He bought them both recently within 2 months of each other.

- steering felt different, one felt smoother and easier where the other felt like there was more feedback from road but not as smooth. Nothing wrong with either but just different
- throttle response, one was more eager to kickdown, the other seemed to hang onto gears a bit more.. like it needed more of a jab of the throttle to get away
- engine response. One felt more torquey down low where the other felt like it went better above 4000rpm? Doing a flat throttle acceleration run.

Should two identical cars feel very similar or will mileage make them feel different over time (even though km are similar)

Or does ford tinker and make changes on the run as they build these cars? They both feel very different for whatever reason.

Sounds like one needs a rear main seal.
5 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #28
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Steering, most likely the tyres are worn makes it steering heavy and different tyres can do as well or it's the wheel alignment setup.

One may of been running better fuel, but you say one performs better down low and the other up top, well that maybe the cam timing setup some what advanced or retarded or the electrical timing the same.

I do believe with the Holden ecotec V6 that the plate at the back that sets the spark timing is not 100% spot on some are advanced and others are retarded a bit so this or the cam timing being out a bit can make all the difference to the performance difference. My wife's stock VS commodore V6 when real hard but would ping a lot on 91 octane, and others the same I have driven had nothing like the performance as her car.

Also the tunnel that the cam sits in can be out of wack just a bit and that changes the cam timing even up to 12 degrees on V8 Cleveland it is known they can through it out that much, so the rear to the front of the cam is all out of sync and the cam it's self can be rubbish out of sync or even bent.

And that's just the start of it all, even how it's run in can affect the compression because if pussy footing them does not bed in the rings as well.

The Auto trans differences can be many things to do with a lot of things.
Old 18-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #29
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ahhh.. Now it makes sense!
I bet one is RED!... Everyone knows red ones is faster!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 18-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #30
Chopped
as in chopped

Sounds like a load of BS to me
Closed Thread