Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Exclamation Labor car industry policy - State & Fed - at odds!

I recently emailed the ACT govt and found out, as expected, that they generally have a 4 cylinder purchasing policy. I have seen many Hyundais and even Klugers sporting ACT govt plates.

Ok, so basically the ACT government doesnt buy Australian at all.

And yet Federal Labor gives millions in industry support to our car makers.

If the State govts bought almost exclusively Australian in the first place the need for industry assistance would be massively reduced.

I cannot comprehend this situation. Its ridiculous.

Now some may argue that taxpayer dollars should be spent on the cheaper 4 cylinder cars. Well not buy Cruzes?! OR keep buying Falcons/Commodores and simply save money by keeping them for 3yrs/60,000km instead of the current disposal rules of 2yrs/40,000km.

Get angry and email your local Fed member and your State government. This is madness. Only the Vic and SA have explicit buy AU policies as far as I know.

turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 
Default Re: Labor car industry policy - State & Fed - at odds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
I cannot comprehend this situation. Its ridiculous.
What, you cannot comprehend the fact that the federal government is full of hypocrites, morons and idiots?????
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't tarnish all Labor state governments as I know in SA they heavily buy local Holdens.

It is a joke to see Kluger and Santa Fe government cars.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
What, you cannot comprehend the fact that the federal government is full of hypocrites, morons and idiots?????
Fed Labor aint the problem, nor is SA Labor nor Vic Liberal. ACT Labor is! And NSW Labor was.

Now just need Qld and NSW Liberal to copy their Vic counterparts.
Old 29-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I'm not going to call the V6 a bad decision for Ford as a diesel for Territory but I have to wonder if fleet sales would've been stronger had they put something like a 2.2 TDCI in. Of course it likely would've been a worse car than the 2.7 to drive.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Fed Labor aint the problem, nor is SA Labor nor Vic Liberal. ACT Labor is! And NSW Labor was.

Now just need Qld and NSW Liberal to copy their Vic counterparts.
Perhaps you should go here and read the part about political threads !!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/announcement.php?f=2&a=2
Old 29-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The whole political system is geared so members in govco are always concentrating on being re elected rather than doing the right thing,
the country is in dire need of a political enma.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Its less about politics and more about policy orientation. For example WA has only 30% Australian made cars in the entire fleet, but we have a Liberal government in charge here.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I'm not going to call the V6 a bad decision for Ford as a diesel for Territory but I have to wonder if fleet sales would've been stronger had they put something like a 2.2 TDCI in. Of course it likely would've been a worse car than the 2.7 to drive.
The 2.2L TDCI engine in the UK Mondeo is actually quite good, its a slightly bigger capacity version of the 2.0 in our TDCI Focus, but has a better Bosch injection and engine management system compared to the 2.0's Siemens crapola.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread is on thin ice. Keep it on topic and lay off agenda please.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Not relyy political, it's more to do with bureaucrats and how they manipulate the systems to suit their own purposes.
I'm sure there are bonuses for business heads meeting budgets and expediting reductions in the costs of fleets,
so the whole intention of buying efficient local cars goes out the window with a bunch of stamp lickers making up their own rules.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in 2 minds. Yes government fleets would be nice, but they buy them & sell them in 2 years & sell them for peanuts. They just KILL resale values & as a real private buyer this is a major negative against Falcon. I hope somehow Ford can keep Falcon going without the need for major government sales as I think resale values would start to improve long term.

Government fleet sales would not make much profit (you’d think) & would be all about getting volume into the plant? I’d rather they get volume by exports without making much money, so they wouldn’t stuff around with resale values locally. Exports will only hurt while the dollar is high (in terms of profit), but government fleet sales will always hurt (in terms of profit).

After all, the only reason I want Falcon around is so I can buy one (AND yes I do buy NEW Falcons). Resale value is a pain point, which I get around by holding onto a car for 6-7-8 years to make it less of a blow.

Last edited by Joe5619; 30-03-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

If, say, ACT government persists with its current policy, it could at least save some taxpayer dollars by buying the car and holding it for 8 years. I mean a Corolla should last a long time without the need to sell it after 2.
Old 30-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our govenments both past and current have reduced our auto industry to what it is today. As a taxpayer I am disgusted at the fact the Liberals, years ago put the plan in place to reduce import tariffs to what it is today giving imported vehicles a free kick. On the same note, they use taxpayer funds to try and prop local car makers. Sounds to me like your stabbing local manufacturers with the right hand and then mending them with the left. I am going to use my ballot as toilet paper this time round cause both parties give me the S@#ts
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I remain non-political on this as things said in opposition don't necessarily follow through with a change of government.

Originally, there was a pool of $6.2 billion in potential funding for the Aussie car industry
but only a fraction of that money has ben released to the local industry since the Rudd years.

I find it amazing and perplexing that people still see Australia's ebbing Tariffs as being collected
on behalf of the Australian car manufacturing industry, $1 billion last year and not a cracker of it to the industry.

So not only have successive state and federal governments not followed through with promises of support,
those same governments now pick and choose their vehicle fleets from the cheapest pile without a care
for maintaining a production base in this country, cars may as well be toasters these day for all the pollies car.
They just don't care about what is happening to our country,
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something as simple as keeping all Government fleet vehicles for the full extent of the warranty as in 3 years or 100,000km or greater if that becomes the case would go a long way to protecting resale.

Also make a "government" model that was specifically configured for their purposes rather than the standard domestic offerings would also protect the private market.

The "Ford Falcon GM" could be offered in a choice of T4, I6 or ecoLPi, auto only, steel rims, basic ICC, cloth seats and no badging other than GM (and yes the pun is intentional).

It could be available in a choice of white, white, white or white so it will be easily identified and cannot be used or misused as a "private" vehicle on weekends.

At the end of their government service they will still be sold at action so as not to disadvantage "battlers" but will no longer demolish the value of a new XR6 or G6E by making 12 month old 20,000km ex Govt unit available at half price. Of course this will upset another small group who have been taking advantage of the current situation. Oh well.....

As an aside, changing the depreciation schedule for rentals to make it unviable to dump them before a similar level of usage might be a another step in the right direction.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

It is a catch 22 with govt and local council fleets regarding when do they update their vehicles.

If they keep them for three years then the number of new car sales decreases. On the upside, the fleet vehicles are not demolishing resale values.

If they update them regularly this increases the number of new car sales. On the downside it demolishes resale values.

It’s a fine balance.

When I was selling cars, when the BA originally came out, we were offering all departments that qualified for govt pricing to buy back the car in 9 months or 15,000ks (whichever occurred first) for what they paid for it. New car sales went through the roof. The next thing you know, local churches were buying XR6s! The downside? The market was flooded with 9 month or 15,000k cars which brought down the price of them. This in turn affected the resale of traditional 40,000k cars that the public was used to buying.

Another downside? The XR6 became common. It went from a very desirable car in the EL and AU to a common everyday car that everyone has now. When the EF, EL and AU where new if the used car dept got a XR6 in it went straight up on the ramp in the most prominent part of the yard. The manager would say, "Don't anyone drive it - it's to stay on the yard!" After a while when the BA came out we as salesmen were given XR6s as company cars just to get rid of them.

In the state dept that I work in the minimum they keep the cars is for 90,000k. These are Falcons and Commodores and it is a large fleet. It used to be 40,000k so essentially they are buying half of the cars that they used to. Some of the cars are replaced at 120,000ks. One of the cars in the local fleet recently was replaced at 170,000ks.

Yes, I know, I just bought a XR6 (ex-renter) second hand, 12 months old for almost half the price of new. Sorry, but I couldn't afford a new one.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Our govenments both past and current have reduced our auto industry to what it is today. As a taxpayer I am disgusted at the fact the Liberals, years ago put the plan in place to reduce import tariffs to what it is today giving imported vehicles a free kick. On the same note, they use taxpayer funds to try and prop local car makers. Sounds to me like your stabbing local manufacturers with the right hand and then mending them with the left. I am going to use my ballot as toilet paper this time round cause both parties give me the S@#ts
The reductions in tariffs have affected many industries and Australia's economy remains competitive. The reductions in tariffs on cars began under Labor with the Button plan. John Button. The decisions were correct.

what is not correct is State governments not buying Australian.
Old 30-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #19
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The reductions in tariffs have affected many industries and Australia's economy remains competitive. The reductions in tariffs on cars began under Labor with the Button plan. John Button. The decisions were correct.

what is not correct is State governments not buying Australian.
You're right. I should have written Labour in lieu. Yes the Button plan did start the ball rolling. However both parties did stuff all about it years after even though the effects were starting to show. Rudd and Carr toyed with the idea of freezing tariffs when Mits went "too hard" . Now when Mits packed it in, alarm bells were ringing loud and clear. Yet no one did anything. Now the horse is about to bolt again and no talk about it.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tariffs are a poor way to support an industry, they are very inefficient from an admin and targeting perspective.
The appreciation of the A$ has had a larger impact, as it was not predicted.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
I think you will find that the purchasing practices of governments are no different than Ford, Holden or Toyota when it comes to purchasing local. There was an article not long ago about Holdens Deveraux campaigning against Bluescopes desire for increased tariffs on steel imports. So an American company (that gets Australian tax payer assistance) was trying to bring in cheaper steel, at the expense of an Australian company that has to compete in the real world.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #22
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually the Bluescope issue is an application for dumping duties, which would penalise importers attempting to 'damage' the local industry through unfair pricing. These cases take forever in Australia and rarely result in success for the local guy.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #23
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
I recently emailed the ACT govt and found out, as expected, that they generally have a 4 cylinder purchasing policy. I have seen many Hyundais and even Klugers sporting ACT govt plates.

Now some may argue that taxpayer dollars should be spent on the cheaper 4 cylinder cars. Well not buy Cruzes?! OR keep buying Falcons/Commodores and simply save money by keeping them for 3yrs/60,000km instead of the current disposal rules of 2yrs/40,000km.
Because they're the best vehicle for the work they need to do. An i30 Diesel is one of the cheapest diesels with lowest running costs that you can buy.

I'd rather they spend less overall on the fleet than buying 'Australian'. If you want them to buy 'Australian' Cars, then why not bug FoMoCo AU to lift their game. The Cruze is, in a word, *****, compared to what you can pull economy and running costs wise on the competition. Falcon is too heavy so you pay too much rego, and neither have a particularly good pickup that's useful for the bush duties the rangers need to do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
If, say, ACT government persists with its current policy, it could at least save some taxpayer dollars by buying the car and holding it for 8 years. I mean a Corolla should last a long time without the need to sell it after 2.
It goes back to running costs and leasing - They're not owned, afaik, but leased as an Operational expenditure. Easier to do that as well, as you hock them off before the warranty cliff on the sale value, and you always have a 100% reliable fleet.
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
Because they're the best vehicle for the work they need to do. An i30 Diesel is one of the cheapest diesels with lowest running costs that you can buy.

I'd rather they spend less overall on the fleet than buying 'Australian'. If you want them to buy 'Australian' Cars, then why not bug FoMoCo AU to lift their game. The Cruze is, in a word, *****, compared to what you can pull economy and running costs wise on the competition. Falcon is too heavy so you pay too much rego, and neither have a particularly good pickup that's useful for the bush duties the rangers need to do here.

It goes back to running costs and leasing - They're not owned, afaik, but leased as an Operational expenditure. Easier to do that as well, as you hock them off before the warranty cliff on the sale value, and you always have a 100% reliable fleet.
unfortunately having koreans or chinese building every thing for us does absolutely nothing for us except put manufacturing here further down the drain, the minimal cost saving you speak of running import x will still cost australia more down the track with no bugger here having a job......except to sign cheques for the government.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
dddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842 View Post
Tariffs are a poor way to support an industry, they are very inefficient from an admin and targeting perspective.
The appreciation of the A$ has had a larger impact, as it was not predicted.
I agree, but lets not forget that the new workplace regulations combined with green energy and carbon tax (higher energy cost) has all made our Australian manufacturing industry far less competitive than they were just 5 years ago.
The high Australian dollar was just the icing on the cake, but it surly is the one point that will get the blame for the whole debacle
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #26
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post

And you need to that a look at the bigger picture!! Allot of what you’re saying is ok if you are running a business (to make profit), but the government is here to provided services to Australia. You need to look at the bigger picture!!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
And you need to that a look at the bigger picture!! Allot of what you’re saying is ok if you are running a business (to make profit), but the government is here to provided services to Australia. You need to look at the bigger picture!!
And the big picture is that we are getting deeper into debt, our deficit has grown significantly.
Everything is under the microscope and god help any department head that cannot justify expenditure
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Well they keep Ambulances until they hit 270,000km and decommission them, then we build them a new one.

Unless its a rural Ambulance, they tend to not rack up so many kilometers because its mainly volunteers out there driving them, I'm in the midst of pulling apart one thats 9 years old and around 200,000km on the clock to go to the auctions.

Why do they turn over their fleet vehicles so soon in comparison?

Same with cop cars, they turn them over at a fairly low mileage.

Yes I know an ambulance is expensive, but if they can keep it for so long and they get driven HARD, by many different people. Why can't they keep their other vehicles for the same amount of kilometers?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #29
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
And the big picture is that we are getting deeper into debt, our deficit has grown significantly.
Everything is under the microscope and god help any department head that cannot justify expenditure
And splashing the budget with cheap imports is not the way forward either!! And I'm not just talking cars..

Last edited by Joe5619; 01-04-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
And what is the big picture? Two of the biggest car manufacturing countries in the world ( japan and US) are basically basket case economies. Is that the big picture? Australia which has a miniscule car manufacturing industry by world standards has an economy that is the envy of the world. Please explain the "big picture"
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: