Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2010, 05:01 AM   #1
Skotty
Banned

Default Accidents you've had.

Just curious, what accidents have you guys had?... Being a panel beater I've had to fix the aftermath for many people lol!

I've been in a few good ones...

One was in a Subaru L Series wagon, on pulling into the Hungry Jacks drive thru in Mount Gambier got rear ended at 60k and we were stationery... I was in year 11 at school... and so was the chick that hit us (haha and she knew I had a crush on her.. I got the number eventually )

2nd was in my KS Verada... 1st year apprentice panel beater, I knew everything... Was going to macca's during my lunch brake and had a full car... Showing off, I got massive understeer, up a gutter and into a tree.. Tried to BS my way out of it and said I had ABS and locked it up... Got a Regency defect for that...

A few months later, I got rearended on Hindley Street... Wanted a yirous at 1am lol!

Then there was the beloved EFII Fairmont... Was going down to wash it and get a car bra, because I was meant to be driving it from Adelaide - Melbourne that afternoon... Can't rember a great deal, but went too hard into a corner, steped out, went sideways thru a barbwire fence, took out a few fence posts and endedup spitting it backwards into a tree at a good 60+kp/h... That accident was a massive wakeup call for me, as all I remember is seeing 3 massive tree's lined up and one huge thick one lined up spot on with my drivers seat as I went thru the barbwire fence... How the back hit the tree and not the front still has me beat today... Lucky, that being my worst accident, is also the one that I got away from with no injury, all I wanted was my smokes after that... And then my mate let me drive his car back from victoria the other day to get my confidence back (hey I wasn't complaining a mint as AUI XR6 VCT)...

Oh and to anyone who says that a gas tank is unsafe in a crash... BS!, it split my sub box but didn't even scratch the tank!

Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only crash I was in was about 4 months after getting my P's. I was in yr 12 driving to school. Driving past the back entrance of the school I looked out the window for a slit second, looked back in front of me and there was a car turning right about 10 metres in front of me, so I went into his door.

I was doing 30 in a 40 zone but I bet police recorded it as speed as a factor... just like ALL crashes.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
glavas

only crash i have ever had was when i hit a kangaroo in my evo 9 cost me 8 grand to fix then i sold it.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

1993 I had a lapse in concentration on a wet road in Liverpool NSW (was in the army at the time). Car in front of me stopped pretty heavily for an orange light and I did not see it in time. Anyway I could not stop in time and although I washed off some speed I went into the back of it, about $7k worth of damage to my VN GpA, a broken taillight and scratch on the bumper for the XF GL falcon.

That is my only one on public roads, the rest are in bush bashers on private property.
Old 13-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hit a cow head on on an outback road at 100Ks towin a tandem trailer
Cattle truck coming the other way hit the other cow
Car went of road sideways into an embankment ,and the trailer wedging into embankment saved the car from rolling
Front damage from the cow,rear quarter right off from the trailer
If i wasnt in a 4x4 i wouldnt be here writing this
Trailer was repaired , still waiting for the owner to pay for car damage
Yep have to give way to cattle in QLD and NT
Im in the wrong
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

to be quite honest, i thought the first one would have been your wake up call.

on topic though, if that falcon had a 60km/h impact and only caused that amount of damage, then i'll eat my monitor.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Still waiting for the owner to pay for car damage
Yep have to give way to cattle in QLD and NT
Im in the wrong
Mate accident is your fault, why would he owner pay for damage?

You give way to cattle in every state not just NT and QLD, has always been like that.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Was 17 and my last night in town before I was supposed to move to Adelaide for a job. I went out bushbashing one last time with a mate. Was on the wrong side of a deeply rutted track riding the crests of the ruts when we came to a right hand blind corner. I was only going maybe 40kph but just out of sight round the corner on the left edge of the track was a serious tree. I barely had time to react and slid down into the rut, up the other side and into the tree airborn, dead centre of my HQ vans bonnet at about a foot off the ground. Pushed everything back into the 1 week old new motor . Thing is I knew the track and had driven it countless times before so should have known better . Dragged it to a wreckers, and fitted a replacement front clip, radiator and water pump, hung the indicators in the corners of the nose cone with fencing wire and was back on the road the next afternoon with no grill or bumper for $400 including labour which was nearly all of my holiday pay from my previous job. I was very happy that the prang didn't even knock the wheel alignment out on the week old front end rebuild and it had the bonus effect of tightening up the sloppy column shift so it didn't jamb between 1st and 2nd any more. Lesson learned, I've never overcooked it out bush since.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
3vXT

Few years back I was following cars a little too close in the wet during peak hour. Came up over a crest and there was a bankup of cars stopped, I slowed a little trying not to lock up, tried to turn up onto the traffic island but clipped the trailer of the car in front of me probably still doing 20k's.
There were cars in front and behind that did the same thing (7 including me) but neither me or the guy I hit touched anyone else.

I wasn't speeding but we were all going too fast considering the amount of traffic, the wet/greasy road and the lack of visibility coming up to the crest of the hill. With all my preaching about leaving appropriate gaps and there being no excuse for this type of accident it was pretty embarrassing explaining it to my mates.

EDIT: I hit a roo once in a work car, sent him flying though the air 30-40 feet but he got up and jumped away. Stuffed the car pretty well but I don't feel guilty about that one as I don't think it could have been avoided considering the circumstances.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XB GS 351 Coupe

The laws regarding cattle are different in all states except QLD and NT
In every state except QLD and NT, the owner of the livestock is responsible for any damages that stray cattle incure
But in this case the owner is reknown for cattle straying on the roadway
(Its a major highway,not just a dirt track)
He has been fined many times for cattle straying on roadway by local councils for years
But stiil does NOTHIN about it
As i mentioned if i wasnt in a 4x4 ,i would be dead if not seriously injured
What if there was a travelling family involved and kids died ???
We have sufficient evidence to fight against this case
(Prooven negligence via reports from council)
But this toss nows the laws and nows to fight the case would out weigh the damage
Another case of "Me big fish,you little fish"
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have hit quite a few roos on the train, but you don't feel it, you just hear a slight bump. Does no damage, but I have heard it's annoying when parts of the roo get stuck in traction motors and you have to get out and pull bits of kangaroo out from under the train..... nice.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
XB GS 351 Coupe

The laws regarding cattle are different in all states except QLD and NT
In every state except QLD and NT, the owner of the livestock is responsible for any damages that stray cattle incure
But in this case the owner is reknown for cattle straying on the roadway
(Its a major highway,not just a dirt track)
He has been fined many times for cattle straying on roadway by local councils for years
But stiil does NOTHIN about it
As i mentioned if i wasnt in a 4x4 ,i would be dead if not seriously injured
What if there was a travelling family involved and kids died ???
We have sufficient evidence to fight against this case
(Prooven negligence via reports from council)
But this toss nows the laws and nows to fight the case would out weigh the damage
Another case of "Me big fish,you little fish"
Are you sure this applies in QLD? The only reference I can find in the road rules regards animals that are in control of a person, not free roaming. I know there are areas that are sign posted as free livestock areas and I think in those areas you would not have much hope, outside those areas it may be a different case. I am sure you have looked into it so I would be interested in what you have found.

I know in WA owners of livestock have a requirement to maintain fences along road reserves and are responsible for damage that free livestock cause along road reserves. I also know that owners of livestock must have warning signs up if they are moving livestock along a road reserve. I am not sure about QLD.