Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
conno3000

Default Cascade Pale Ale - back in 375ml bottles

Hi all,

I hope you don’t mind me posting this here, but I’m writing on behalf of Cascade Brewery, and thought you might be interested to know that we are moving Cascade Pale Ale back to a 375ml twist top bottle.

Late last year, we made a decision to change the packaging on most of the Cascade range, driven by our consumer research which suggested the brand needed to become more relevant to today’s beer drinkers. This involved reducing the size of most Cascade bottles to 330ml with a pry off top and an updated look and feel.

We got it wrong. We’ve been listening to you, on forums like this and other social media sites, and realised that the most passionate drinkers of Cascade wanted it in 375ml twist top bottles. We regret that we upset you. Our most important market is our local market beginning with our home Tasmania.

The Pale Ale change to 375ml twist top will happen in Tasmania from early November, and on the mainland during 2009.

Reply or PM me if you’ve got any questions, otherwise visit the site (when the announcement is formally made this afternoon): www.cascadebrewery.com.au, or become a fan on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cascad...es/93558785286

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

LOL

Thats awesome. Consumer research is a funny thing, maybe they were just pulling your leg.

Either way I was annoyed with the change, and so was the rest of Tassie atleast. Can you do the same to the Premium aswell?

Now you mention it I haven't brought Cascade in ages, but for whatever reason its usually just that much more expensive than Boags in the North.

Was going to 330ml trying to change the way in which cascade is perceived? IE - most euro's beers ar 330ml
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
conno3000

Spot on Polyal... The change of the look and feel to 330ml was to bring the entire Cascade range in line with the competition from European beers.

As for Premium - all of the beers that changed to 330ml will eventually return to 375ml twist top bottle. We will let everyone know about the timings when we've worked it out.
Old 28-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I'm not a fan of ANY Pale Ale but I have to say that Casade Premium Lager is up there with my favourite local beers.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
conno3000

Cheers Cobra, I'll pass on your compliments to Max Burslem, the Master Brewer...
Old 28-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
I'm not a fan of ANY Pale Ale but I have to say that Casade Premium Lager is up there with my favourite local beers.
Mmmmm 'tis a nice beer.

Normally I wouldn't leave this type of thread up but since it is on the topic of beer, glorious glorious beer, I will. Also noted is the join date of the OP, seems he has been doing his research.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
InTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by conno3000

Late last year, we made a decision to change the packaging on most of the Cascade range, driven by our consumer research which suggested the brand needed to become more relevant to today’s beer drinkers.
Market research companies are like management consultants. They will always advocate some level of change. Otherwise the executives who are paying the fees will think 'what was the point of that?'

As to 'becoming more relevant to today's beer drinkers', what a load of shyte. A great tasting beer at a value for money price - that's what is, was, and always will be relevant.
Old 28-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Spot on Polyal... The change of the look and feel to 330ml was to bring the entire Cascade range in line with the competition from European beers.

As for Premium - all of the beers that changed to 330ml will eventually return to 375ml twist top bottle. We will let everyone know about the timings when we've worked it out.
Excellent. And good on Cascade for letting you post. Gathering info is one thing, having direct feedback can be just as important.

I dont particular care if its twist or not, actually if it was my company id have Premium with the pop and all the rest twist.

Quote:
Yeah Coopers is pretty much unbeatable for Pale Ale.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
Rob
Living the dream

If only all the other beers would follow this lead.. bring back 375ml across the board!!

EDIT -

Quote:
Hoorah!!

It really irked me that the beers were smaller, yet priced the same, or higher!!

Shame on CUB/Lion Nathan/whoever for making Strongbow/Pure Blonde in 355ml or whatever it is. Shame.

Last edited by Rob; 28-10-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
I agree, but it is getting harder to find in NSW.

As for Twist Tops, why not make it 375mL, but with a Pry Open Bottle? I miss the old days of 'real' longnecks, that you used to exchange.

Just my 2¢.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Mmmmm 'tis a nice beer.

Normally I wouldn't leave this type of thread up but since it is on the topic of beer, glorious glorious beer, I will. Also noted is the join date of the OP, seems he has been doing his research.
Thought the same see how it goes, have never tried it but now i might have to.
Old 28-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Mmmmm 'tis a nice beer.

Any chance of a Beer review thread?

Would love to share thoughts on stuff like Boags St George!!! Great beer!
Old 28-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob

There was one, and I think St George got a canning..hehe...something to do with yellow stale water.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
There was one, and I think St George got a canning..hehe...something to do with yellow stale water.
:gren:
Old 28-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob

You want to start it I won't delete it

EDIT: Look at the steak sandwich thread and use that template, it's a goodun!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #16
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
You want to start it I won't delete it

EDIT: Look at the steak sandwich thread and use that template, it's a goodun!
Scholar AND a gentleman!
Old 28-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #17
Lynch'd

Seems the media now have a hold of this story: http://www.theage.com.au/national/be...1028-5aah.html

Ceramic coated 4490's, Magnaflow high flow cat, Twin 2.5" Mercury exhaust, BPR CAI , Territory tessa pipes. :evil3:

20% Underdrives waiting to be fitted

My Build Thread
Lynch'd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have thought it would have been in Cascades interests to provide a slab of Pale Ale @ 330ml and a slab of Pale Ale @ 375 ml to each forum member to see if we can taste the difference. Then after consuming the above product we could provide a written report on our findings to the marketing and research department.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I would have thought it would have been in Cascades interests to provide a slab of Pale Ale @ 330ml and a slab of Pale Ale @ 375 ml to each forum member to see if we can taste the difference. Then after consuming the above product we could provide a written report on our findings to the marketing and research department.
I vote for you :
Old 28-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #20
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
I vote for you :
x2....Great idea SB076! Surely they can think of it as cheap market research. :

Ceramic coated 4490's, Magnaflow high flow cat, Twin 2.5" Mercury exhaust, BPR CAI , Territory tessa pipes. :evil3:

20% Underdrives waiting to be fitted

My Build Thread
Lynch'd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #21
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Thats great news Canno3000, you say beer drinkers originally wanted the packaging volume reduced ..........while into market research - please note -

Return Cascade BITTER ALE (now known as bitter beer) BACK to it's former taste. You know, the way it used to taste .......... and what would be really great, --------> please explain why exactly it was deemed necessary to lower it's alcohol content and alter it's original taste?

Thanks in advance

tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #22
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

There's just something about the name 'pale ale' that will never inspire me to drink it. I guess I've watched too many American Pie movies as a lad.

I'd be interested to know how many people wouldn't buy the beer based on that association.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #23
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sooooooooo about those free samples? :
Old 28-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #24
conno3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Thats great news Canno3000, you say beer drinkers originally wanted the packaging volume reduced ..........while into market research - please note -

Return Cascade BITTER ALE (now known as bitter beer) BACK to it's former taste. You know, the way it used to taste .......... and what would be really great, --------> please explain why exactly it was deemed necessary to lower it's alcohol content and alter it's original taste?

Thanks in advance

tex
Hi Tex,

Firstly - there will be no change to the taste or ingredients of Cascade Pale Ale. The taste hasn't changed at all.

Secondly, on the consumer research - we conducted thorough research, and thought long and hard about shifting to the 330ml bottle, pry off top and new labelling. European beers are providing fierce competition, so we did research into making the Cascade range more relevant to today's drinkers by moving us into line with European beers.

As I said, we made a mistake and we are sorry.

Our decision to move back to 375ml has also been a considered one. We realised we had to change back to 375ml because, while Cascade drinkers liked the new look, they wanted more of their favourite beer in 375ml twist top bottles.
Old 28-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #25
TadKa
Wait? What?

woohoo about time. I love Cascade.. I'm a fan of Boags too. I'm not 100% Hobart Loyal.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #26
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahoy Conno

Would you mind listening to me, and bringing back Cascade Amber Ale?

I loved that brew. Great value for money.

If not, is there anywhere in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne where I can purchase it?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #27
conno3000

^^ Mate, not sure where Pale Ale is sold in the eastern suburbs, sorry - I'd suggest you call the consumer info centre to find out - 1800 007 282
Old 30-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #28
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
^^ Mate, not sure where Pale Ale is sold in the eastern suburbs, sorry - I'd suggest you call the consumer info centre to find out - 1800 007 282
Dan Murphy's have it. At least the Menai (NSW) one does.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #29
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Excellent idea, I would be happy to do a report as well. :

I got a taste for the Cascade Pale Ale when I visited my mum down in Tassie last year. After trying it at the pub in Richmond, it got a hold of me and I did not drink anything else.

I can thank the kids for wanting to go the Cadbury's factory (waste of time) Kids won and I missed out on doing the Cascade tour. :

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #30
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't think you read my thingy properly...

I am after AMBER ale...the old Jam Tin story...

Had a brown label...was kickarse.

Cascade's site no longer shows it being available...but sites aren't always correct.

How the living hell can donkey like Corona sell on the basis of it being "exotic" and "cosmopolitan" but flavourless, while a good beer for its price in Cascade Amber Ale is ditched because it isn't "fashionable".

Stupid western civilization.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post