Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Insurance companies selling Aussie’s short

If your car has been repaired in the last 5 years, no matter how old, it may have parts replaced buy “Parallel” a.k.a Aftermarket parts, Counterfeit if you will.

Insurance companies in the age old quest to boost profit, utilise parts of lesser quality from Asian companies. They say it reduces premiums. Older cars often use aftermarket parts, as genuine new parts are not available, with used the only other option. But now cars no older then 3 years may receive these parallel parts.

Often a repairer is the decider on using parallel parts or not but pressure from insurance companies to keep quotes low in competitive markets forces the use. It’s up to the customer to demand the use of genuine parts in their cars, you are paying for a good repair job to you car, and you demand quality.

Step back and think about the ramifications; Parts dealers loose out from the sales of parallel parts as they are cheaper, so the dealer mark up is less. Not only that, but car manufacturers use parts as a source of income, so they are loosing out. That is harsh considering it affects Aussie workers, its money going overseas, and the manufacturers loose out in these tough times.

Be mindful of this next time you need a car repaired.

P.S. this is regarding smash repairs.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

If the parts aren't sub standard who care's where they come from, if i can get a part O/S of the same quality and cheaper why would i be stupid enough to buy local and be ripped in the process, we now live in a global market not just a local one
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
why would i be stupid enough to buy local and be ripped in the process
Because the insurance company is footing the bill?

Are you daft?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It does go both ways though, sometimes the markup on OEM parts are quite ridiculous, especially if the "non-genuine" parts function in the same way, or are "just as good".

I believe some magazine back in the 90s quoted up building a Hyundai Excel from Hyundai's spare parts catalog; I believe the car would turn out to be over $100,000 to build using OEM parts.

Likewise, thumbing your nose and forcing the repairer to use OEM parts is a double edged sword as you can (and I believe they do) often use 2nd hand OEM parts. Another question therefore would be is it better to have brand new non-genuine parts or second hand OEM parts?

I'd rather have a non-genuine new part rather than a resprayed panel that has lived it's life on an over-worked wreck. This is something very important to consider for Falcon owners as you may be likely to end up with ex-taxi parts.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
cycle myth

This is all catch 22 though.

Customers (you guys included) don't like paying higher premiums for insurance.

Insurance companies will find ways of cutting costs to meet competitive pressures of customers. (i.e. no genuine parts for you).

The motor company loses parts sales and profit (how is ford going lately?)

Repairers find ways of increasing profit by cutting corners (get a receipt for this part, return it and use this part).

Customers (you guys) get the priviledge of crap sub standard parts (sometimes unsafe) that reduces the performance and value of their asset.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - wouldn't it be good if the manufacturer did insurance

- you guys would support it right???????????????
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Gee, who would have thought insurance companies would do anything they can to save on repair costs?

Insurance companies are scum.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
If your car has been repaired in the last 5 years, no matter how old, it may have parts replaced buy “Parallel” a.k.a Aftermarket parts, Counterfeit if you will.

Insurance companies in the age old quest to boost profit, utilise parts of lesser quality from Asian companies. They say it reduces premiums. Older cars often use aftermarket parts, as genuine new parts are not available, with used the only other option. But now cars no older then 3 years may receive these parallel parts.

Often a repairer is the decider on using parallel parts or not but pressure from insurance companies to keep quotes low in competitive markets forces the use. It’s up to the customer to demand the use of genuine parts in their cars, you are paying for a good repair job to you car, and you demand quality.

Step back and think about the ramifications; Parts dealers loose out from the sales of parallel parts as they are cheaper, so the dealer mark up is less. Not only that, but car manufacturers use parts as a source of income, so they are loosing out. That is harsh considering it affects Aussie workers, its money going overseas, and the manufacturers loose out in these tough times.

well of course they use aftermarket parts.

your car is not brand new anymore once it leaves the factory. eg if your car is two years old and your bumper can be replaced witha second hand one that can be made and repaired to orig specs at a 1/3rd of the price they will do it.

another example
holden astra radiator is like 300+ when stamped with "genuine holden"
holden astra radiator 200 odd without the genuine stamping

difference? none. both come from the same factory made somewhere in asia

another example im pretty sure i got told at work is the ford fiesta and proton satria use the same aircon condenser, the ford one was like 300 bucks and the proton one 150. could be wrong on the cars but a lot of cars "borrow" each others bits. why use the 300$ one when the proton one is exactly the same?? and you still get the 12 month warranty??

its not the quality of the article in question when both are the same but the quality of the workmanship in a lot of cases.

99% of panels put back on your car are either new or second hand refinished to new spec's, but the mechanicals are the ones they chop and change at no detriment to your vehicle. and from what i have seen at work(i work for sgic) mechanicals are ALWAYS changed for new items. no way will a insurance company put second hand mech components in. and if anyone has seen it done from there insurance company better take it up with the ombudsman as im sure that can't be done.

sure you can have full genuine components but back in your car but are you willing to pay 30-50% more for your premiums? if so you would be the only one in Australia
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Dragoneletra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Because the insurance company is footing the bill?

Are you daft?
Perish the thought.......

Jc

BFIII wagon, hoovered, scooped and dropped. Water/meth injected..
Getting the shopping done.....FAST
Build thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11307332

'69 XW Fairmont
bombed 351 cleveland
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244411

The reason I'll end up divorced
XE FALCON HEARSE build.
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11452342
Dragoneletra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
Dragoneletra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old 1991 hilux did an alternator.
Nippondenso unit(spl)
Bridge toyota in Darwin $1100
A mate at repco doing me the best price he could $550
Ashdowns: $368-NO TRADE DISCOUNT

same unit, same part number the lot.

Boy did that phone call I gave to toyota go down like rocks in a blender after I spoke to Ashdowns !

Jc

BFIII wagon, hoovered, scooped and dropped. Water/meth injected..
Getting the shopping done.....FAST
Build thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11307332

'69 XW Fairmont
bombed 351 cleveland
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244411

The reason I'll end up divorced
XE FALCON HEARSE build.
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11452342
Dragoneletra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
Bobman
Regulator

It's been well documented that the use of second hand parts is common amongst insurance repairs on all those current affair shows in the last couple of years.

However with non-genuine parts, I'd be more cautious. We all know how after market tail lights can fade and just don't look right. Fitment of some non-genuine parts isn't 100% spot on either. I guess it depends on what brand of car and the age though.

But if the insurance company is footing the bill for everything, then demand the best I say.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman

But if the insurance company is footing the bill for everything, then demand the best I say.
Exactly, this is what the thread is about. You pay heaps per month, and you have the right to demand genuine parts.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly, this is what the thread is about. You pay heaps per month, and you have the right to demand genuine parts.
err no you dont

i'd check out you policy booklet. most will say ,

"we will choose the most suitable repair method for for the type of damage to your vehicle"

"repair your vehicle using-
-new parts/ OR
-parts consistant with the age and condition of your vehicle"

or words to that effect

SOME insurance companies will only use genuine everything, however these usually only cater for the high upmarket end of town. eg porsche/top end mercs/beemers etc

to be honest tho you dont pay much for insurance in australia. be lucky your not living in the UK. ours a cheap in comparison.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
balthazarr

Quote:
Check your policy... I can almost guarantee that you have no such right. My policy states that they "... will use new parts or parts consistent with the age and condition of your vehicle; will use manufacturer's approved parts if your vehicle is under warranty (but excluding extended warranty); ..."

In other words, they can pretty much use whatever parts they want once the vehicle is out of warranty. However, they also provide a lifetime guarantee on repairs, so all good as far as I'm concerned.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would rather have Genuine OEM parts in my car instead of aftermarket knock off stuff.

After seeing so much aftermarket gear out there and most of it isent as great as OEM and ive had issues with it 2 so i dont really trust it anymore, so i pay extra for Genuine parts.
Old 22-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:

I used some non genuine parts in the past. More often than not they are as good as if not better than genuine and cheaper. It’s the ‘mark up’ that the brand have on their products.

Quote:
So it is the insurer or the repairer. Technically, if your car is over two years old, you will get 2nd hand parts of same age, so you will be in the same position as you were prior to the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
It does go both ways though, sometimes the markup on OEM parts are quite ridiculous, especially if the "non-genuine" parts function in the same way, or are "just as good".

I believe some magazine back in the 90s quoted up building a Hyundai Excel from Hyundai's spare parts catalog; I believe the car would turn out to be over $100,000 to build using OEM parts.

Likewise, thumbing your nose and forcing the repairer to use OEM parts is a double edged sword as you can (and I believe they do) often use 2nd hand OEM parts. Another question therefore would be is it better to have brand new non-genuine parts or second hand OEM parts?

I'd rather have a non-genuine new part rather than a resprayed panel that has lived it's life on an over-worked wreck. This is something very important to consider for Falcon owners as you may be likely to end up with ex-taxi parts.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Gee, who would have thought insurance companies would do anything they can to save on repair costs?

Insurance companies are scum.
So you are uninsured?
Or you are naive regarding insurance?
Or do you hypocritically still run to your insurer after your car is pinched.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #16
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
It's been well documented that the use of second hand parts is common amongst insurance repairs on all those current affair shows in the last couple of years.
not saying whether its true or not but its a little bit naive to use a current affair as evidence =)
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

when my parent's camry got hit from behind they replaced a taillight setup with a secondhandie (saw it had wreckers' writing on it when i changed a bulb one time) and it's in better condition than the other one which is original. I don't really mind, new aftermarket parts are better than worn out original parts!

Quote:
may be likely to end up with ex-taxi parts
my car is made entirely of ex-taxi parts!
Old 22-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au

And I wonder how many non-OEM suppliers carry every single part for every car in all thier locations. OEM parts are expensive for a reason.
Old 24-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
So you are uninsured?
Or you are naive regarding insurance?
Or do you hypocritically still run to your insurer after your car is pinched.
Yes i'm insured, its a necessary evil.

When my XR8 was stolen it took nearly 3 months to get a pay out, I was treated like a criminal and had all my phone records analysised, and my mechanic questioned. Insurance companies are scum who take your money and then when you need them they treat you like a piece of garbage. I'm paying them to provide me with insurance when something happens, not to be dragged through the mud because they want to protect profits. Then they under value your car by thousands and you have to prove to them its worth a lot more than they are offering. It was the only time i've made a claim in 10 years and I was still treated like crap.

Its funny how they gladly take your money but when they have to provide their part of the bargain they will go to the ends of the earth to avoid a payout. Its no wonder insurance companies have more complaints to consumer affairs than almost any other business.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #20
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Yes i'm insured, its a necessary evil.

When my XR8 was stolen it took nearly 3 months to get a pay out, I was treated like a criminal and had all my phone records analysised, and my mechanic questioned. Insurance companies are scum who take your money and then when you need them they treat you like a piece of garbage. I'm paying them to provide me with insurance when something happens, not to be dragged through the mud because they want to protect profits. Then they under value your car by thousands and you have to prove to them its worth a lot more than they are offering. It was the only time i've made a claim in 10 years and I was still treated like crap.

Its funny how they gladly take your money but when they have to provide their part of the bargain they will go to the ends of the earth to avoid a payout.
People that watch TT and ACA believe this. In fact motor claims are paid in 10 days, you have 21 days to pay your premium, so in fact they pay out quicker than they need to ba paid.

Unfortunately there are way to many people who rim of insurence companies, everyone knows someone who has. Due to this insurers have to look into every single theft as fraud. It's sad that it has to happen but you can blame those who want to make money of insurers by not being genuine. It's the honest people like us who have to go through the process because of this scum.

Quote:
Its no wonder insurance companies have more complaints to consumer affairs than almost any other business.
Really? Whilst that may be true, you will need to understand why they do go to the Insurance Ombudsman (not consumer affairs). More often than not, it's one of two reasons. 1. They didn't read the PDS and are not getting what they assumed they did or 2. They thought their car was worth what they paid for it 10 years before.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post