Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2005, 09:52 PM   #1
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mate wants a race

One of my mates want to race me, and he has a VP ute with a mild exhaust (2.25 inch, single system, no extractors) (160,000 kays on it), and im just wanting to know whether i should take up the challenge or not.

I have a 312,000km EF Futura. Bog standard.

I know that the VP has 120-something kw, and my car has around 150, but his ute is lighter.

*its a legal race down the 1/8 mile at Morgan Park, Warwick.

should i race the guy?

or more to the point, will i beat him. (both are 4spd autos)

thanks
Ben
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #2
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No go hide in your hidey hole instead.

What are you scared of? Just race him.
Old 18-05-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
Damo
Banned

he will probably beat you especialy on 1/8 mile, but you should have fun anyway. Go for it!
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
Walkinshaw
Two > One

over 1/8th you will be had i think. Over a 1/4 you may pull him in.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
AdzT3-146
own the road

yeah as the others have said he'd probably beat you down the 1/8th but go for it anyway
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 10:03 PM   #6
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I raced a mate over an 1/8 mile track recently and was surprised with the results! Yes, our times weren't the best (equal PBs of 10.32 each) but we were pretty much even for every race (50/50 win/loss + close always)

Mild 351 straight petrol with T5 & 3.23 gears (XC) vs (EB) near-stock 302 with auto & 3.27 gears. I was expecting to get my *** handed to me but was pleasently surprised. You never know if you never go!

Anyhoo, there's fun to be had Legal racing is the bestest!

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 10:05 PM   #7
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alright so ill race the bloke
im kinda hoping that he just flattens it off the line and smokes up.

cya
Ben
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
neb
hibernating

should be fairly close... good luck!
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

I don't think a stock-pre VS 6cyl auto will beat a stock-post EF 6cyl auto at anything. 125kW 3.8 V6 vs 157kW 4.0? Plus the 4.0's extra torque...

But yeah, go race, enjoy yourself!
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 12:02 AM   #10
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah but gay 1st gear plus 3.08 diff. It'll probably still be in 1st at the finish line lol.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 12:10 AM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont get why people have autos if they plan to race them. Could someone explain this as im noticing that a fair amount of people have autos. Do your guys drive them through the gears or leave them in drive? I wouldnt care if i won or lost it would be the rush that counts. Legal speeding has got to be good
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

Automatic is faster for drag racing.

:
Old 19-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #13
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Automatic is faster for drag racing.
But with falcons you need a fair bit of power to make the launch any good.

For example in my turbo EB which ran 13.6 @ 105mph my 60' times were only 2.5 seconds which I have to attibute to the poor gearing of first.

For 'most' 6 cylinder falcons without a high stall a manual would be much better as the ability to launch hard outweighs the drawback of manually changing through the gears. Im still yet to see a 13 second auto 6 cylinder falcon.

But generally yes an auto is better for quarter mile action. I love my autos!!
Old 19-05-2005, 12:49 AM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But the manual will get it off the line faster right? My mate has a 280ZX auto. He gets smashed off the line but once in high speeds all people can do is wave as he passes them. In some cases rapes them completely.
Old 19-05-2005, 12:57 AM   #15
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
But the manual will get it off the line faster right? My mate has a 280ZX auto. He gets smashed off the line but once in high speeds all people can do is wave as he passes them. In some cases rapes them completely.
Gearing and traction is what gets you off the line. And in high power, highly modified applications, manual is slower at everything acceleration related. Nothing beats a modded, stalled auto.

:
Old 19-05-2005, 01:03 AM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Gearing and traction is what gets you off the line. And in high power, highly modified applications, manual is slower at everything acceleration related. Nothing beats a modded, stalled auto.
Hmm interesting. Ive always believed autos were slower. How wrong i am. Still will always drive a manual (hopefully type R next...VTEC yeah baby). Autos are too boring for me. When i get in my mums commy i always reach for the clutch pedal and realize its not there. Sketches me out always lol
Old 19-05-2005, 03:14 AM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tell us how ya go with the race, actually i saw a bloke give a comy ute full bore on the westgate freeway ,accelerated ok but flat nacker his top speed looked pretty slow must be limited big time
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 06:32 AM   #18
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmm interesting. Ive always believed autos were slower. How wrong i am.
A common misconception that is perpetuated by dumbass riceboys.

Quote:
Still will always drive a manual (hopefully type R next...VTEC yeah baby). Autos are too boring for me.
:rolleyes:
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 11:51 AM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
You calling me a rice boy. That i aint mate.
Old 19-05-2005, 11:54 AM   #20
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmm interesting. Ive always believed autos were slower.
They are :ymca:

: :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 12:35 PM   #21
neb
hibernating

yeah the manuals are definately quicker. but then i think a well setup auto would probably be quicker than the manual (i.e. high stall and shift kit). and manuals only seem good for drag racing up to a certain point... around 12second quarter miles maybe.. then it seems to be better off to change to auto since they tend to be stronger, more reliable and more consistent, and dont stress the driveline as much.

but saying that i much prefer driving manual :P
Old 19-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #22
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
yeah the manuals are definately quicker. but then i think a well setup auto would probably be quicker than the manual (i.e. high stall and shift kit). and manuals only seem good for drag racing up to a certain point... around 12second quarter miles maybe.. then it seems to be better off to change to auto since they tend to be stronger, more reliable and more consistent, and dont stress the driveline as much.

but saying that i much prefer driving manual :P
Yep, as far as I am aware, it all comes down to gearing and engine power output. The reason a manual will be faster then an auto (I'm talking about factory spec boxes here) is that the gearing is usually better for acceleration in a manual box compared to an auto. The auto can shift quicker, but that isn't much help if the gear ratios are too tall, which is particularly evident in auto falcons where it won't shift up until 70-80km/h. Sure, you can increase the power output of the engine, and that will help, but all other things being equal (we'll forget about the strengths of an auto box to cope with increased power output for the sake of this discussion), a 5 speed manual will always have a distinct advantage over a 4 speed (or 3 speed) auto because of the gear ratios.

That is, until you start making a lot more power then factory, and start comparing replacement gearboxes, which admittedly will come into the picture sooner for manual drivers then their auto counterparts due to the relative weakness of the falcon manual gearboxes.

But hey, that is how I understand it, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i suppose if your gonna beef up a car your gonna upgrade the gearbox too. It just an auto takes out the fun in my case anyway. When you want to overtake someone for example you just drop the gear and rape someone. In an auto you put the foot down and hope for the best. In a manual the difference between winning and losing can come down to a wrong gearshift and thats where driver skill comes in. My understanding is that autos are far more expensive to replace aswell.
Old 19-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #24
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner

:rolleyes:
Bwahahaha!!!!! :
Old 19-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #25
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When you want to overtake someone for example you just drop the gear and rape someone. In an auto you put the foot down and hope for the best.
Hmmm.
Old 19-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #26
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Yeah i suppose if your gonna beef up a car your gonna upgrade the gearbox too. It just an auto takes out the fun in my case anyway. When you want to overtake someone for example you just drop the gear and rape someone. In an auto you put the foot down and hope for the best. In a manual the difference between winning and losing can come down to a wrong gearshift and thats where driver skill comes in. My understanding is that autos are far more expensive to replace aswell.
When you're talking high power outputs, manuals are wildly expensive for less result then automatic transmissions. The best T56 I know of (and one of the best street-car manuals).. the G-Force T56.. rated to handle 900hp and 800ftlbs of torque.. costs $4,695.00 US outright.

One of my favourite automatics.. the Lentech Ford AOD-E 4spd, rated to handle 1500hp and 1100ftlbs of torque.. costs $2,795.00 US outright.

And generally, in a high-powered drag application, the auto does not self shift. If its a 4spd, for example, you get this shift pattern...
P
R
N

All you do is push the selector in the gear you want. Much faster shifting then any manual can (let go of accelerator, clutch in, move gear selector, clutch out, accelerate). You can also get 'reverse pattern' auto's in which the the shift pattern looks like...
P
R
N

So that you pull the gears when accelerating instead of pushing. If I'm not mistaken, a stock T56 6spd costs more then the stock BTR M97LE 4spd in BA Falcon's also.

:
Old 19-05-2005, 01:38 PM   #27
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm. Is this because its got 6 gears instead of 4. Very interesting im learning a bit here.
Old 19-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #28
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I think it depends on the application. If you were circuit racing than a manual is the only way (apart from a modded auto I guess), but drags seems to see the auto win.
Old 19-05-2005, 02:34 PM   #29
neb
hibernating

to be honest i think i actually change gears faster in a manual than what a factory falcon auto does.. they tend to be kind of slow/smooth changing stock. and with the manualised autos i still think you can change just as quick with a normal manual transmission.

(let go of accelerator, clutch in, move gear selector, clutch out, accelerate) ... its more like (start changing gear, clutch in while letting off acelerator a little, put into gear, clutch out, accelerate).. it all sort of happens at the same time basically, very quickly.
Old 19-05-2005, 02:43 PM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah its weird with autos for me. When i drive my mums commy and put the foot down it wont change gear until you back off. But its smooth to say the least. Whenever i hear an auto being flogged it sounds so bad cause it sounds like its being strained hard.