Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
XW_GS
Paulie

Default Morons Speeding And Tailgating In A 40 Zone

Really!!

i still see it happening, aggresive (mostly tradies) verbally abusing law abiding citizens trying, to do the safe thing by sticking to the 40kph limit during school times protecting our children, MY CHILRDEN.

The other day i saw this aggressive a/hole harrassing an older couple on Stephensons road Mt Waverley cause they where doing the RIGHT thing.

Today my wife copped the abuse outside MY kids school again from a tradie.
Im a tradie myself , i do have kids , i recently lost someone close to me in a car accident...

Would you put up with someone doing this behind you in a 40km zone??

Or are you the one always in a hurry to get home 5 seconds earlier!?

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
Old 25-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It makes me more determined to sit on 40 or below- LOL
Old 25-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i put up with it. id rather put up with some yelling angry tradie than put the lives of some kids at risk.
Old 25-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not just in 40k zones.
I use the Monash & Eastlink most days and it happens in the roadworks 80k zones as well as the 100k zones, whilst trying to obey the limits you watch them darting from lane to lane just to get that few extra carspaces in front.
I generally use the centre lane and sit on the limit and if they start to tailgate i just ease off a little. 9 out of 10 times you are only a few cars behind them at the next bottleneck.
Old 25-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
mad cow
blue oval addict

i find that most of the speeding cars in 40 zones are women with their kids in the car. its like once they have picked up their kids they dont care about anyone elses.
Old 25-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do what I so, stick right on the speed limit, get's them angier.
I spend a couple of hours on the road every day and notice that people are getting angrier and driving even more like tools..... I suppose the cops are off at sensitivity training or something.
Old 25-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

40 zones are prone to speeding.. as its been said, go slower, i do!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 25-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LOUDXFUTE
i put up with it. id rather put up with some yelling angry tradie than put the lives of some kids at risk.
But the issue is that had the tradies not had somebody in front of them, they'd be tearing through the 40 zone, placing the kids at risk.

Though I find the placement of some PERMANENT 40 zones to be questionable (Taylors Lane near Wellington Road, and also Watsons Road outside Brentwood), enforcing the speed limit in 40 zones should be severe.

The speed is kept low for a reason, and it should not take the death of a child to realise that.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 25-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I usually find lots and lots of fleet and business cars giving people a hard time. I guess its not your car, who cares right?... well, you'll care if I need to hit the brakes.
Old 25-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
CHEETR
EBfairmont with TE50motor

although i do agree, and most of the time when someone does it i'll slam on the brakes and get out of the car and they usually pack themselves - i do have to say that 40km limits are fantastic in school zones, but it seems they are spreading these out more and more to non school zones, in my area (back of endeavour hills/lysterfield south) there are 40km limits everywhere and they arn't even school areas, they are fixed 40km signs which i think is rediculous!
Old 25-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
Teflon Turbo
Banned

apart from the obvious, my kids school zone is heavily enforced by cops and it's a no brainer really.

i still reckon when aproaching a school zone the speed limit should 60, 50 and then 40. then 40, 50 and 60 when leaving.

that would help i reckon.
Old 26-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #12
Thankfull
Banned

Unfortunatly...some people fail to appreciate that others use the road system as well.

Slow down to the speed limit....if you get abused...note the rego number...report to police, let them know what is happening and the police may actualy get around to policing the area.

But they will not know unless you tell them this is occuring.

The main problem I have is idiots in old bangers, or 4 cylinders who treat the front row of the traffic lights like the front row grid at Bathurst....probably because my Blood Orange BA GT is in mint condition and sounds wicked.

The HSV boys are pretty good actualy and the least trouble in that regard...they seem more interested in winding their windows down and listening to my exhaust note.

Cheers all
Old 26-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Used to annoy me when my XR8 was marginal about engaging cruise control at 40kph. I find it hard to drive 70's and 80 zones and notch it down to 40 without having 1 eye permanently glued to the speedo, not something recommended in a 40 zone - hence the cruise control.

Car I have now doesn't care what speed I engage it at. If morons decide to tailgate me, I move the rear view mirror away. Problem solved. :P
Old 26-06-2009, 02:37 AM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
U If morons decide to tailgate me, I move the rear view mirror away. Problem solved. :P
agreed. although i don't move the mirror, i just mind my own business. as far as i'm concerned, when driving you should be alert and aware of your surroundings and others but don't let others influence you. that includes getting annoyed/flustered because someone else isn't doing the right thing. thats their choice. its not your job to correct them.
Old 26-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #15
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Recently I've been driving my wife's Corolla to work to put some mileage on it. Tell you what, I get tailgated and intimidated a lot more in that car than the XR6. Yesterday morning I'm on the Eastern Freeway with my speed varying between 85 to 100km/h going with the flow of other traffic and keeping to the left or middle lanes.

I had no less than 3 different idiots tailgating me. One in particular, a Mercedes Vito van was so goddamn close I reckon if I was able to switch on the reverse sensors I would have heard one continuous beep!!

When he finally moved over and came past me (he didn't fly by) I made sure I gave him "the stare" as I'm sure the last thing he expected behind the wheel was a big ugly caucasian with cropped hair and a goatee!! No idea whether it had any effect as it was still dark.

I'm normally pretty calm on the road but this guy really got to me to the point where I briefly contemplated "having a word" if we ended up stopped together at the end of the freeway. Once he was out of sight I settled down and normal transmission resumed.

Agree with the original post, see lots of aggressive tailgating and have also noticed tradies seem to be the most prevalent.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 26-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Recently I've been driving my wife's Corolla to work to put some mileage on it. Tell you what, I get tailgated and intimidated a lot more in that car than the XR6. Yesterday morning I'm on the Eastern Freeway with my speed varying between 85 to 100km/h going with the flow of other traffic and keeping to the left or middle lanes.

I had no less than 3 different idiots tailgating me. One in particular, a Mercedes Vito van was so goddamn close I reckon if I was able to switch on the reverse sensors I would have heard one continuous beep!!

When he finally moved over and came past me (he didn't fly by) I made sure I gave him "the stare" as I'm sure the last thing he expected behind the wheel was a big ugly caucasian with cropped hair and a goatee!! No idea whether it had any effect as it was still dark.

I'm normally pretty calm on the road but this guy really got to me to the point where I briefly contemplated "having a word" if we ended up stopped together at the end of the freeway. Once he was out of sight I settled down and normal transmission resumed.

Agree with the original post, see lots of aggressive tailgating and have also noticed tradies seem to be the most prevalent.

I have noticed the same thing, when I am in the ute I do not get it very much (or perhaps I can't see them because the rear vision is woeful) but when I am in the Mini I get them all the time. I agree tradies in hilux utes are the worst, normally with trailers. I have noticed the ones without trailers often can't go around a corner without getting it sideways. Personally I do not see the achievement,anyone can get an empty hilux 4x2 sideways.
Old 26-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

It's not just tradies, it mums as well who should know better.

I was on my motorbike the other day on my way home from work. I slowed down to 40 and I had the soccer mum in her Territory tail gating me and on the horn. She few past me when we went from single to double lanes and I copped a gob full. She had 3 kids in the car as well. It the tables were turned and I went wizzing past her, I would have been a motorcycle idiot.

Still soccer mum would be the first to jump up and down if a child was hit near the school, I am sure. They would also the first to complain about lack of Police.

This is just typical of the ingnorant "me, me" "Bugger you, Jack" behaviour of people today. Lost in thier own little world. They fail to even stop and think about someone else for a second, until it effects them.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Old 26-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #18
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you can't just say its all tradies. The news showed a school bus doing 58 in 40 zone. I do try and use my cruise control as well as stated above in the zones. I hate that they also do it to my wife who has just got her P's. They scare her out of wanting to drive!

It happens in all speed zones. I find it funny though that when its a higher speed zone and tailgaters hang on you, overtake in crazy spots then come to a few bends where they do way below! I then have to slow down :

When I had my patrol (lifted and big tyres) no one came anywhere near me. Interesting people find that in other vehicles too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfull
The HSV boys are pretty good actualy and the least trouble in that regard...they seem more interested in winding their windows down and listening to my exhaust note.
I must admit im guilty of this when theres a nice sound to be herd. I dream of the day I get to have the v8 :evil3:
Old 26-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #19
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Its the parents droppin the kids off at the school that are the speeders.

On the way to work they have a left hand turn lane to drive into the school and drop the kids off.

I will be doing 40 in the 40 school zone and the parents who are in the left lane dropping their kids off speed past me.

Dont they think the speed limit applys to them - its their little weeds that I have to slow down for so they should as well arrrrrrrrrrrrrg!

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 26-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #20
Crazed

People have no respect for speed limits in this country, because speed limits in this country are a joke. If people felt that all speed limits were overall relevant to the conditions, then they would probably ahdere to them more when they come across low speed limits (such as school zones).

And also I'd rather someone 'speed' doing 50, with acute reaction times and their attention glued to the road, then some smug holier-than-thou 'driver' sitting on 40 feeling pleased with themselves, staring at their speedo.

All this, 'I slow down when I see someone in a rush so I can hold them up' is a real sign of the selfishness running through this country, the whole 'If im not allowed to speed, well then I wont let anyone else' attitude reminds me when in 1998 my wife and I were rushing our daughter to hospital as she couldnt breath after a bee sting. Drivers could see I was in a hurry and I needed to pass, but they all took some form of tall poppy glee in denying me the courtesy of letting me rush ahead.
Old 26-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #21
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a part of Shore St. West in Cleveland from the train station to Masthead Dr. which is 40km because of a couple pedestrian crossings and bus stops and no one does the speed limit along there. I stay at 40 and my father goes nuts over them, but I just stick to the speed limit and stay calm.
Old 26-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #22
LTDHO
The one and only

Kids were safe when the limit was 60, pretty sure everyone who posts here had 60kph zones around their school, you all seem alive enough to post.

Speeding and tailgating happens on all roads, I don't condone it, but it's not restricted to school zones. I fear of the 'soccer mums' in the AWD's than the speeders.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 26-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i think the 40 zone's should be reviewed.
in kindy/primary school fine.
but at high school/tafe no, if they can drive to school them selfs shurly they know how to cross a road.
Old 26-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #24
Flail
Starter Motor

I've got a big problem with the guards at the "children crossing" right near my home (farrington rd perth)...

They stop me from getting to work on time to let not only the TEENAGERS cross, which is retarded but ok that's why they are there... But then they stop traffic to let goddamn 20/30/40/50 YEAR OLDS cross the road! I can't always stop myself from abusing the out of them, and the "adult" going past.. god save me from old heros with flags..
Old 26-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #25
red_hotxr6
Banned

I have 4 kids which i have 2 drop to school every day and everyday its the same thing. I slow down to 40 and the person behind wants to join me in the back seat, they just do not seem to understand, SLOW DOWN kids lives are at risk.......
Old 26-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #26
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flail
I've got a big problem with the guards at the "children crossing" right near my home (farrington rd perth)...

They stop me from getting to work on time to let not only the TEENAGERS cross, which is retarded but ok that's why they are there... But then they stop traffic to let goddamn 20/30/40/50 YEAR OLDS cross the road! I can't always stop myself from abusing the out of them, and the "adult" going past.. god save me from old heros with flags..

Maybe you could leave for work a few minutes earlier and that would mean you could make it to work on time.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Old 26-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #27
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Kids were safe when the limit was 60, pretty sure everyone who posts here had 60kph zones around their school, you all seem alive enough to post.

Speeding and tailgating happens on all roads, I don't condone it, but it's not restricted to school zones. I fear of the 'soccer mums' in the AWD's than the speeders.
+1 on this view.
What were the figures like before 50, then 40 zones were introduced?
Our buddy Harold seems to brainwashed many.

I find myself, as I have matured in road use, travelling at ever varying speeds through back streets.
I started out on my P's when the back streets were 60 and I was always doing 60 cause I was allowed to, then 50 zones came about and I did 60 most of the time, cause that's what it used to be.
But now I find myself travelling at 40, and sometimes slower, quite bit in the streets lined with parked cars and children that seem to have no idea of consequence thanks to the fantastic guidance of their 'parents'. That and I really dont see the need to get to my parents place for a family dinner 2 minutes quicker.

But I do hate permanent 40 zones around schools, especially ones that are totally fenced in so they ar enot even accesible as a park after hours or on weekends.
Permanent 40 zones in shopping strips is ok by me, come to Noble park and you'll see why...haha. But then again, the ignorance of drivers and pedestrians has probably been brought around by the fact the speed is so slow no-one needs to look any more.
Old 26-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #28
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

It's the soccer mum generation in their pretend 4WDs that are half the problem...

They belt around with no regard for anyone else...But I think it's moreso the fact that they simply have no idea.

I disagree also with some peoples comments saying to slow down if someone is tailgating you...Won't that just escalate the situation?
Either keep doing the speed limit or if things get worse, take 5 secs to pull off the road and let them pass.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 26-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #29
Flail
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark s
Maybe you could leave for work a few minutes earlier and that would mean you could make it to work on time.
I've gotta drop kids off mate, not much I can do. They do it in the arvo as well, all over perth (albeit not as bad as my locals)

Just makes me mad, there is no reason for them to stop traffic to let adults cross, apart from making them feel useful at everyone else's expense.
Old 26-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #30
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flail
I've gotta drop kids off mate, not much I can do. They do it in the arvo as well, all over perth (albeit not as bad as my locals)

Just makes me mad, there is no reason for them to stop traffic to let adults cross, apart from making them feel useful at everyone else's expense.

:

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Closed Thread