Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Default Afl!

Hey guys im starting to worry about our great game, watching the essVs Carl game tonight the level of umpiring was teribble, i shouldnt blame it on the umpires but the afl is bringing in these new rules which no one wants, this touch in the back rule is a joke! u cant even touch a bloke in the back now with out it being a free kick it is a bloody joke, please afl stop making our game a girl sport (sorry ladies) no one supporter coach or player likes these rules so afl please stop this!

PS im drunk and had enough of essendon losing :(

Old 24-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
XRchic
Hello

I totally agree with you mate, its a girls sport now. The umpiring has been really petty, inconsistent and soft for the last few years, so it will get worse Im sure. Having said that, I would hate to be an AFL umpire.. they have to abide by the rules of the AFL, which are outside their control. The AFL is turning the sport soft.

And it is the pre-season rubbish - the rules are always different, over-applied and its just a silly spectacle. Wait until round one to see how bad thing will be... for real.

The Crows lost to Power, I wasnt overly impressed either...lol

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
Ford_V8

Haha ohh just wait till the current kick of political correctness kicks in. Soon they'll be needing to all wear rainbow coloured jerseys so as to not offend any one partiuclar "ethnicity" and each team will be encouraged to promote equality for all by allowing for at least 9 females and 9 others from " diverse backgrounds ". And actually, football can be such a rough sport, why don't we just have a chat about the colour grey over a nice cup of tea for an hour rather than involve ourselves in such unneccessary contact.
Ford_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

An "in the back" rule is fair enough but an "ON the back" rule is very stupid. Your fingers can brush a guy, feeling for position as you keep your eyes on the ball (which you have to do) and they'll pay a free against you.

They did this so forwards get more shots on goal but it's also being paid against the forward. More rebound footy. Might be a hard season to sit through.

WCE vs Freo, eagles first goal to Armstrong as a result of this in the back free. He was barely touched, if at all. Being a WCE supporter there's no bias in complaining about a free paid to your team. Rubbish stuff.

It will ease up a bit though.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

It will change the game somewhat..the contest will simply be to make sure you are the front man and ball side, who cares about actually geting the ball if you get awarded the kick..

It will become soccer'esq in the way the penalty inside the box is sooo important you'd trip on a blade of grass to get awarded the 'on the back' kick

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
bessxg
Bundy on

All the footy will change to netball now, you get more freedom.
bessxg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
Hawk
I am The Brain!

I was at the Hawks v Melbourne match (Woohoo!!! Go Hawks!!!) and was intrigued as to how the umpire trial would go. For the uninitiated they allowed all umps on the ground (including goal and boundary umpires) to pay free kicks. Not much happened, but a boundary umpire overruled a field umpire at one point...and one ump was about to call holding the ball when another spotted head high contact. There seemed to be a bit of confusion as to who should make a decision.

There were also more times than usual where I had no idea what the umpire had made a decision for. This may have been because of the new rules, but also because of over-umpiring I thought.

On the whole the umpiring wasn't terrible, but there were points where the umpires made some really weird decisions. That said...HAWTHORN WON!!!!

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

why dont they get back to the 70,s and a bit of biffo and blood and mud real footy that the fans joyfuly will pay for
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob 351
why dont they get back to the 70,s and a bit of biffo and blood and mud real footy that the fans joyfuly will pay for
Yes, yes I agree wholeheartedly. I've got the 1970 Carlton grand final on DVD and it is awesome to watch. Watching Ess v Carl on Saturday; let's just say the play was just plain girly and the umpiring, don't get me started.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too miss the days of shirtfronts, hard hits, biffs, bumps and brawls. I reckon Chris Johnson's coathanger a couple of years ago against Ireland in the International Rules was magnificent. Although people were complaining, I thought it was about time we got some action.

The hybrid game suits the Irish 10 fold...the ball is round, they have goalies and they can't take the physicality.
So I think bringing in some muscle evens it up.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I went to the Carl vs Ess game Saturday night, didn't really watch it closely though, was too busy gettin ****ed in the box!!
Old 26-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #12
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought these rules were only for NAB cup? Or are they for the premiership season? They always introduce stupid rules in the first cup, then usually take em out for the season, although some naff ones have stayed.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

yep i affraid that footy is there only to please the officials and not the players and fans if they dont watch themselfs the fans will drop of and they will kill the game with all there politcal correctness why dont they just leave a very puplic game alone cant even go to the wrestling any more or that other one they used to have at festival hall with the teams on rollerskates that was awesome back in the day
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #14
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002auxr6
Hey guys im starting to worry about our great game, watching the essVs Carl game tonight the level of umpiring was teribble, i shouldnt blame it on the umpires but the afl is bringing in these new rules which no one wants, this touch in the back rule is a joke! u cant even touch a bloke in the back now with out it being a free kick it is a bloody joke, please afl stop making our game a girl sport (sorry ladies) no one supporter coach or player likes these rules so afl please stop this!

Do agree but go the Doggies

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #15
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Every year people whinge about the rules in the Ansett/NAB/whatever cup. Does anyone actually realise they don't change the rules for the season?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #16
2002auxr6
Drunk!

um they are this season with the in the back rule
Old 26-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #17
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002auxr6

As a Bomber fan I fully agree. By halfway through the 2nd quarter I had seen enough. This in the back rule is just a joke. Only have to brush a hand anywhere near the back and its a free. If the Bombers play this way all year the car is going to be awfully well detailed come September, lol
Old 27-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #18
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Every year people whinge about the rules in the Ansett/NAB/whatever cup. Does anyone actually realise they don't change the rules for the season?
Pretty sure that the in the back rule will appy into the home and away season. Buckley, who is on the rules committee I believe, was appalled that they bought in changes this year. He, and alot of players and fans, would have preferred to have had a couple of years of no new rules to destroy this great game of ours.

I'm also perplexed as to how Nathan Krakeour can be offered one week for a guy diving on his boot in the goal square????? Would they have offered the same had he made contact with the ball????

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post