Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Golioth
Cruzin in FNQ

Default CATS! Not the footy team either

I have 2 issues at present with cats....1, they love to use my garden as a toilet & 2, and worse is they love lounging on my GT!!!!

Would any members on this great forum have a proven method for keeping cats away as I am surrounded by about 10 of them whom have no respect for my property boundary and I am sick of cleaning my GT only to have it walked all over within hours!

No offence to the cat owners on this forum but I don't care if you have a saber toothed tiger in your back yard so long as it stays off my GT & doesn't S.....t in my garden!

I look forward to a plethora of viable solutions.

Golioth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Default Re: CATS! Not the footy team either

i have a cat
he has some serious attitude sometimes, not angry just friggin noisey and acts weird
anyhow

if you have ten cats you aint going to be able to get away from cat **** in the yard. full stop.
secondly why isnt the car in a closed shed with a cover over it hmmm hmmm

our little bugger decided he wanted to spray a few pot plants a while back and he killed the things
we grabbed a spray bottle from bunnings that keeps cats and dogs from stuff
he hasnt sprayed on them since we sprayed around the bases of the pots
it was called KeepOff but theres quite a few diff ones on the market
dunno how it would go with ten bloody cats tho!!
might need to by a 20L drum!
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You need to catch them in the act...garden hose. Fkr wont be coming back in a hurry. But 10? lol, good luck with that.

The Project
73 XB GS Fairmont Coupe K-Code.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

*removed animal abuse advice* as does a big fake cat with massive eyes you can get from bunnings. I'm all for having pets but if they are in my property the owners aren't doing the right thing by them. I remember our family dogs killing four cats that came onto our property in a week, owners were furious, if they didn't come into our property they wouldn't have been eaten. It's funny because we even had a cat at that time, dogs loved her, but she was inside by 5pm every day.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 08-01-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: unhelpful advice
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a similar problem and found that spreading cinnamon around the car kept them away, but obviously it doesn't last long and becomes expensive
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

we're on two acres and a neighbor somewhere around here has the cat out every night.

we're sitting on the lounge watching the tube and all of a sudden hear our cat who is in one of the spare rooms sitting on the inside window ledge, growling and carry on like a complete pork chop at this other cat out side who just wanders all round our block and house.
i have no idea whose cat it is or where it comes from but it shouldnt be out of a night
ours is in around 6 or 7pm every night (he just lazies around the house under the alfresco anyway, and is in and out all day from around 7 or 8am.

ive never been wuick enough to chuck anything at this other cat and its pitch black outside anyway so as soon as i got off my *** to go outside i wouldnt seet he bugger anyway

no footprints on the turbo tho....luckily
Old 07-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I was going to suggest get your own cat to smash the others but 10 is too much for even the most badass cat lol

You got a dog?

You can get various sprays and sprinkles from Bunnings etc the smell of which is offensive to them. It does work, but if it rains or sprinklers come on you will need to reapply it.

Like Mercury Silver we have a cat but he is too old/slow/stupid to bash up the others and by the time I get orf my **** they are usually gone. Although once some neighbour's little pain in the **** decided he'd blue my cat right under our bedroom window, I got out quick enough to scone him with a garden trowel, the little **** never set foot on our property after that, it would always watch our cat from his driveway. So I guess the point is that in the main, they are capable of learning their lesson quite quickly...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone had to post this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8
Old 07-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Golioth
Cruzin in FNQ

Mick that was bloody hilarious!!! Thanks, it is the 1st time I have laughed about this problem ever.

Got a dog but the old ***** can only see about 2 feet in front of her.

Tried all the sprays etc....spent a few hundred bucks.

Have done the 3am nudie run outside with whatever I could find in hand many times. Little S...ts are too quick!

Guns.......hmmmmm.....I would probably get arrested or accidently shoot the GT.

Coup - actually have a cat trap that I have used but have only one successful catch. Did what you said, went to town on it with the hose, yelled at it, kicked the cage, gave it a rest and went thru the routine again....little bugger came back eventually anyhow.

Merc - you are right, perhaps a more secure car accommodation would be the best however my house layout is a bit tricky to achieve total cat free zone.

Ultimately the weight of numbers is against me so I think I'm screwed!!

Thanks for your advice lads!
Old 07-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

be carefull , when i bought my ELXR8 BRAND NEW , i was polishing it all day , just as i was putting away the gear my cat jumped onto it and lyed down on the roof without me noticing , and another cat jumped up hiossing and had a fight on the roof , slid down the windscreen and screeched down the bonnet .

the blue fg xr6 i have both my cats adore and sleep on it all the time . the white GT though i havent seen them on it . so i'm thinking thats not too bad a trade off . i do have some cat claw marks on the xr6 though .
my take is be nice to the cats and hope they are friendly or you could find yourself having a bad day . hope you find a solution
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Some Ideas
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in my younger days I had a burgundy Nissan Exa (sorry) which lived in the driveway.Cats used to get on the roof and then dig their claws into the quarter panels as they slid down leaving lots of scratches in the paint.In order to prevent more scratches I went out and bought a nice thick,expensive,waterproof car cover.That worked fine at stopping the scratches but the cats now had something new to squirt on and every time I took it off and rolled it up I ended up stinking of cat pee.You won't win.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Generally cats are attracted by the heat radiating from the car. Our old cat will be making a bee line straight for which ever car is pulling up even before it stops. I've even seen her jump from the bonnet of one car to the bonnet of the other that just pulled up and curl up on the bonnet. If your car is out in the open the panels will be warmer than the ground or the cement and the cats will come a runnin'. If you pull into a carport out of the wind, expect a furry friend to find the warmest and/or highest spot around and guess what, it'll be the car. The only way to stop the cats is to make your car the least attractive option for somewhere warm to sleep.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
bungarra

Ask your local council Ranger for use of a Cat Trap. I know WA councils ahev them and you notify the ranger once a cat is caught and they come and remove them.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #15
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Milk and aspirin? J/k.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #16
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

You're in Queensland aren't you? Well it's the owners responsibility to keep them on there property. So if you know where any of the cats live go and see them. If they won't resolve the problem then contact you local pound and they'll issue them with a warning. I know this because we had a cat that was annoying the neighbors. They had a toy dog and our cat would chase it into there house as they had a small cat door for the dog. Then it used to eat the dogs food. Anyway he was nice about it and came over and talked to me about it. I said not a problem and got rid of the cat, as we didn't want to keep it inside because it would scratch the kids. Also didn't want kitty litter in the house.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #17
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

I had that problem a few years back. I ended up sprinkling finely ground white pepper on the bonnet and it works a treat! Old puss hops up, smells the stuff, tries to lick it off his paws....

You might have to try it a few times before the cats get the idea that your car isn't the best place to sleep on, but be patient. Chilli powder is very effective too.

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #18
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

That video is awesome!

Here's his follow up:

http://youtu.be/goZ2DqMnaGc
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #19
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golioth View Post
I have 2 issues at present with cats....1, they love to use my garden as a toilet & 2, and worse is they love lounging on my GT!!!!

Would any members on this great forum have a proven method for keeping cats away as I am surrounded by about 10 of them whom have no respect for my property boundary and I am sick of cleaning my GT only to have it walked all over within hours!

No offence to the cat owners on this forum but I don't care if you have a saber toothed tiger in your back yard so long as it stays off my GT & doesn't S.....t in my garden!

I look forward to a plethora of viable solutions.
I had the czt problem , eventually I borrowed a trap and binned the result after some 4x2 solution , at a later date I extended the fence all round the front and my rotties policed the problem . Some might be upset by the blunt solution but one tom marked my 64 pickup and all humour went with stains on a paintwork .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #20
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend of the family animal lover sorted out her problem with a Tom cat, this thin had been comeing in through the cat flap and steeling all her cats food, so being a sucker she put more food out for this poor Tom cat, after a while it became a permanent fixture at her house so she figured it's not a good thing to have an un desexed cat (don't need to help bread feral cats and all) so she took it to the vet got it all wormed and vaccinated and spayed, he came home later that day and was not very happy, a few days later the lady from a few doors down nocked on the door DEMANDING to know who had mutilated her beloved cat.

I think all involved learnt some lessons A/ our friend shouldn't be such a sucker B/ the cat owner should Have their cat micro chipped as the vet scanned first as he was told it was a stray that wondered in and that they should keep the freaken thin in their yard.

I have to say nothing ***** me more than people who can't keep their cats in check, if my dog went in to your yard and took a steaming dump you would expect me to keep my dog in and clean it up up if a cat does it it's, all o it's just what cats do.

As for the car be careful with the garden hose, they tend to open their claws when the run scared

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #21
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yep Yeti you are right, if a dog wondered the street and slept on peoples cars, then there would be an uproar. Imagine walking out and my 70kg bullmastiff was laying on your bonnet. But one thing a lot of people forget is cats are under the same law as dogs and the owners have to keep them on their property. Your local pound will also give you a cat trap to catch feral cats, then you take them in to be destroyed. Just take the collars of so the look feral.LOL
Old 08-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #22
Golioth
Cruzin in FNQ

Unfortunately cat owners tend to have high levels of apathy when it comes to their cats. This was evidenced by my direct approach to 2 of them who basically said "How do you know it's my cat, there are others around, anyhow what am I suppose to do? Lock them inside?"

I have decided to wage a clandestine war against all the pussies. I have purchased a surveillances system and will begin a raft of black ops in an effort to significantly mess with their heads and bodies sometimes!

Hopefully I will have some pics/footage to share.

Cheers people!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #23
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
"How do you know it's my cat, there are others around, anyhow what am I suppose to do? Lock them inside?"
In QLD, yes, yes you are.

I suspect the day a furball sets foot in my yard my bluey would absolutely give it hell. And not nicely either.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #24
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Unfortunately cat owners tend to have high levels of apathy when it comes to their cats. This was evidenced by my direct approach to 2 of them who basically said "How do you know it's my cat, there are others around, anyhow what am I suppose to do? Lock them inside?"

I have decided to wage a clandestine war against all the pussies. I have purchased a surveillances system and will begin a raft of black ops in an effort to significantly mess with their heads and bodies sometimes!

Hopefully I will have some pics/footage to share.

Cheers people!
Seriously mate contact your local pound or animal control centre. When these neighbors receive a warning and a fine for non complying, then they'll find a way. Why should it cost you money it's their animal. Also mate depending on what you have in mind, you could very well end up in trouble yourself with the animal cruelty act.

Last edited by XBROO; 08-01-2014 at 01:12 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #25
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

if one owner has ten cats maybe there is a law on how many you can have in one house hold
?
Old 08-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #26
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure there's a hole in my thought process here, but I'm going to run with it for now

As mentioned above the cat owners refuse to accept that they're delightful moggy could be upsetting any one "he's so cute" and that it must be someone elses cat. Well as also mentioned above, councils have traps available for catching feral / stray cats. So you rent one of these traps, catch the offenders and take them to the pound, I think its law now that all cats and dogs are micro chipped so the council will notify the owner that their delightful cat has been picked up as a stray and fine them for not keeping their cat on their property.

Then it doesn't matter who's bloody cat it is if it got caught in the trap it must have been out so they are in the wrong

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #27
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I'm sure there's a hole in my thought process here, but I'm going to run with it for now

As mentioned above the cat owners refuse to accept that they're delightful moggy could be upsetting any one "he's so cute" and that it must be someone elses cat. Well as also mentioned above, councils have traps available for catching feral / stray cats. So you rent one of these traps, catch the offenders and take them to the pound, I think its law now that all cats and dogs are micro chipped so the council will notify the owner that their delightful cat has been picked up as a stray and fine them for not keeping their cat on their property.

Then it doesn't matter who's bloody cat it is if it got caught in the trap it must have been out so they are in the wrong
This. I'm a cat owner. I'm fully aware of how annoying cats can be since I've lived near other cat owners. I'm also aware of how annoying dogs can be since I've owned them, and lived in streets with them all my life.

If they aren't willing to take responsibility for their animal (Cat or dog), they shouldn't have one. End of.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #28
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I used to keep quails and Modena pigeons, not for table use - bird lover in general. Also used to encourage wild birds into my 6 foot fenced yard with bird feeders. Yes, I had a cat problem. As stated above domestic cats in QLD have to be contained, the rules vary from council to council districts though.

I couldn't really face up to killing someone else's pet, but was getting really annoyed with other folks cats pooping in my yard and occasionally coming home to find a mess of feathers.

It is illegal to trap cats in QLD without going through a whole lot of BS. My solution below worked in all but of one persistent cat. I think old Tom was feral by his size and was despatched humanely.

I bought a possum trap and baited the hook with canned sardines wrapped in the foot of a woman's stocking (no, I don't wear them!) this was effective as the cat would paw the stocking, claws would snare on the stocking and bingo, trap door slammed shut. I would then leisurely walk outside, pull the garden hose on full jet with my captive and give it a thorough soaking before releasing it. Took a couple of goes for them to get the message but worked a charm and had a pretty clear conscience for the most of it.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #29
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yeti you're spot on again.

Lotte that's exactly what I did, I couldn't take responsibility for our cat so I took it to animal welfare. Which is in the same place as the pound in Ipswich. We could not stop it from wondering and we couldn't keep it inside. So when the neighbor complained I did the right thing. It also would of taken a lot of guts for him to approach me as I'm not the smallest of blokes. And I also have a lot of mates that rock up that don't look friendly at all. I think he was surprised when I said 'Not a problem mate, I'll take her to animal welfare tomorrow'. He said 'You don't have to do that', then I said 'Mate I can't stop it and don't want any problems with neighbors, so it's the only option I have.' He thanked me and went back to his misses who was looking nervously through the window.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #30
Spurious

Got a similar problem, neighbors cats using my yard as a shortcut. I didn't take much notice 'til I found a whole heap of trampled plants along the fence & a paling that had been pushed off the nails. Obviously from them jumping up on it.

They regularly get the hose now when I see them do it & I ran a thick bead of grease along the top of the fence. Havn't caught them at it for a week or 2 now. My neighbor has 2 dogs & 2 cats, lord knows why. I like the fact the dogs always crap near their clothesline though. LOL. & oh' yeh' I've found cat hair on the grease!!!

I don't care what you cat lovers say. Pets are the responsibility of the owner, keep them under control on YOUR property & we'll have no problem.
They know their pets are annoying, they just choose to ignore it. Can't ignore a cat that walks grease into the house can ya'.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post