Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
JulesCharles
Starter Motor

Default EzyStart

I have just purchased an EzyStart unit (also sold as JumpStart) on the internet. It's for my sons 97 Taurus, not used a lot, battery 8 months old but gone flat (low use) twice this year. EzyStart is small, about 8 x 7 x 8 cm high, has 30 volts (I measured 31V). It is connected to the ciggie lighter with a cable supplied. Instructions are all accessories off, ciggie ligher enabled (accessories). After 15 minutes the batt should be charged enough to start the car. After starting, a switch on EzyStart is moved to allow it to recharge, takes 30-40 mins driving. I'm concerned that the 30V could stuff "standby" stuff like the computer, clock, maybe alternator diodes etc. I'm also unsure how it can recharge to 30V when the alternator puts out 14V. Has anyone used one of these in a Ford? I'm looking for a bit of comfort before we need to use it. I know my son should drive it more, but it doesn't happen. Our (safe) alternate is to take out the flat battery to his flat & recharge overnight, a lot less convenient. Any feedback on this unit will be appreciated, I would prefer we were not the first to try it. If it works, it was good value, $23 delivered.

JulesCharles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: EzyStart

From my reading of the specs it should be fine. It's using that circuit as it's a high amperage circuit because (in simple terms) it isn't voltage that a flat battery requires it's amperage.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post