Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
psychoticgroove
SRT

Default New twist to old car scam!!

Gday folks,

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything so I'll try and post this to warn the good people of fordforums
Moderators- feel free to delete/ close thread if its been covered before.

Ok so I'll try and keep it short. Same old scam. Car we were after was cheaper than standard market value. I'm wary but inquire anyway (listed as local but with no contact numbers), don't hear for 3 days, then get a generic email saying he's not good with the computers, his wife put the ad rararara ..... and if I'm still interested. Since I'm on gmail, his registered name came up as 'Mark Clyburn' but email address was 'thomasbr76@gmail.com (the tool possibly signed up with his real name but given his few grammatic errors which he attributed later to his danish descent, he may be the usual suspect- Nigerian!!)
When i replied yes and asked for his number again, he emailed back (still no contact number and this time he signed off as Thomas Brent)saying that he works for the Royal armed forces and is currently posted in Queensland leaving for Afghanistan in 14 days (hence selling his car) and if i wanted to buy the car i would have to confirm with a deposit so that he could take a couple of days off from work and come down to deliver the car. At the bottom of his email in his signature, he had his supposed army email and rank. I immediately emailed that address for verification which of course was fake and then reported the ad to carsales.com.au.
The ad was removed promptly and couple of days after that carsales emailed saying that they have received complaints about the sale vehicle/ seller and that it is a scam. But then today i received an email for 'carsales' again saying they had initially removed the ad because of the postcode not matching but now have personally verified the seller and that 'thomasbr76@gmail' is a genuine seller. And while they try to fix up and load the ad again on the website, we should feel free to contact and deal with the seller.
YEAH RIGHT!!! Looked at the first email which actually was from carsales that further stated that the scammers may try contacting people again posing as carsales support centre with authentic looking emails and saying that the ad had been verified as genuine.
The scary thing was that the fake scam email looked exactly like the real thing and some people could possibly fall prey to it.

SO BE WARNED PEOPLE!

His- 2014 Jeep GC SRT
Her- 2012 Territory TS TDCI
psychoticgroove is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Danny
GT4.

Got a link?

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
TUF270
BACK IN AN FG TURBO

im really over carsales, trying to sell my car atm on there and you never know who is fake or serious....i find it difficult trusting anyone when it comes to buying and selling cars...
TUF270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #4
psychoticgroove
SRT

Well there's no link to nothing mate since the ad has been removed. But please see attached document that shows the fake email.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fake email_carsales.JPG (131.4 KB, 197 views)

His- 2014 Jeep GC SRT
Old 14-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
psychoticgroove
SRT

sorry repost

His- 2014 Jeep GC SRT

Last edited by psychoticgroove; 14-01-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: repost
Old 14-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The scams are getting better it seems. I have no idea why this whole industry is not better regulated. I bet the email was sent from an account that looked almost the same as a correct carsales email eg 'support@carsales.net.au'

To the untrained eye, they (both the senders email and the format of the message) looks legit.

With all the electronic tracking and surveillance available this sort of thing should be better monitored. Like not being able to register almost identical websites / email accounts unless you can prove you have valid reasons.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
psychoticgroove
SRT

The effed up thing is that the email address that the fake email generated from is
'carads@ad-carsales.com'
which means that they are quite internet savvy and have actually bought the domain rights for that email name!!!

His- 2014 Jeep GC SRT
Old 14-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldve thought the term "Royal armed forces" wouldve been the most obvious thing wrong with his email.....
I have always said that if your going to run a scam at least use the proper terminology..

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
sleek7

Little bit of the grammar doesn't read right in that email and to me it just doesnt come across as legit. "and we must let you know" <-- this sort of style of writing just has alarm bells ringing to me.
I do however work in IT and I do come across these things regularly. Great pick up though groove.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoticgroove
The effed up thing is that the email address that the fake email generated from is
'carads@ad-carsales.com'
which means that they are quite internet savvy and have actually bought the domain rights for that email name!!!
It doesnt mean that they have got the domain ad-carsales.com

They can just use an SMTP server and send an email with that as the sent address...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
It doesnt mean that they have got the domain ad-carsales.com

They can just use an SMTP server and send an email with that as the sent address...
Yep. The from e-mail address is easily spoofed, but for peace of mind, check the e-mail headers to see where it came from.
Old 14-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
NAFairlane

Its pretty simple tho, when selling a car dont even let them drive it till you have a copy of a drivers license and dont let them go alone, and dont give it to them till you have a bank cheque or the funds in your account.
When buying one dont transfer any funds till you have seen and driven the car and have some form of i.d from the seller.
NAFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFairlane
Its pretty simple tho, when selling a car dont even let them drive it till you have a copy of a drivers license and dont let them go alone, and dont give it to them till you have a bank cheque or the funds in your account.
When buying one dont transfer any funds till you have seen and driven the car and have some form of i.d from the seller.
I don't release a car until real money is in my account and at my disposal. A bank cheque is a 'promise' of money in 3 business days, and can (and has been in the past many times) been fraudulently made.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
NAFairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I don't release a car until real money is in my account and at my disposal. A bank cheque is a 'promise' of money in 3 business days, and can (and has been in the past many times) been fraudulently made.
Ah yeah, forgot about the fraud ones, genuine ones though (correct if im wrong) freeze that amount in their account till the bank cheque is either returned or processed into another account so are therefore reasonably safe.
NAFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #15
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I was recently selling my car on carsales and in 2 months i got 1 genuine inquirey and prob 30 scammers like this wanting to pay via paypal etc

i put it in cars guide half the price and it goes in the local papers too sold it within4 days for full asking price.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #16
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds identical to the emails that i have been receiving from this ******, here is the latest one:

Hi,
First of all I wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR and all the best to you and your family. My car is still available but currently I'm in QLD, due to my job duties.I'm a pilot for the Royal Defence Forces and I'm stationed at a military base here because I'm being deployed to Afghanistan in exactly 15 days from now so, this is the reason I'm selling it. Some of the persons who inquired about my car asked about the RWC so, the car will come with RWC as well. Anyway, if you want to buy my car, I can take 4-5 days permission to bring it to your address and close the deal. Some things you must know in case you'll be the buyer just to avoid future questions:
1) no accidents or scratches on the body of the car
2) I'm a non smoker person and the car is very clean inside
3) perfect running order, oil changed every 5k kilometers, new tires and brakes fitted in August (full service history can tell), no warning lights on the board, engine runs smoothly as it should and rego expires in April next year
Price is not negotiable because it's already reduced for a quick sale. In case you have any other questions, feel free to contact me but due to my job and trainings every day it might be a delay in reply so, I apologies in advance for this. One more thing, there is also no money owe on my car and can sell anytime
P.S. Please excuse my english, I'm dutch of origin and my english is far from perfect

--
Daven Kots - Air Corps Pilot id# 2819293
Army email: ac2819293@defenceairforces.com
Personal email: davikots@gmail.com
Royal Australian Air Force

I like how it says 'Army email' but he is in the Air Force....Idiot obviously doesn't know am a Navy officer.....
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #17
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahah the grammer is so bad....

and the email address... come on please!!! defenceairforces.com???????

Royal Defence Force???
Air Corps Pilot???

Like I said before, if you gonna scam someone, make the effort to make yourself sound real and know your subject matter.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 01:31 AM   #18
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Hi Physhcticgroove,
Have you informed carsales customer support of the fake email? What was their response?
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #19
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Also, most websites have a disclaimer when you report anything, that they will not contact you personally about the outcome, for privacy reasons.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would never pay for a car I have no test drove.
Do people actually fall for these pathetic scams? IS that why they keep doing it? Or are they just trying to hard to get someone to fall for their crap.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post