Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation VW breaks 47-year sales record

VW breaks 47-year sales record
By Stuart MartinThe Advertiser28 October 2010EmailPrint+-
The R line-up could be expanded beyond the Golf, which moved from a V6 to a high-boost inline-4.
An annual sales record that has stood for more than four decades has been broken by VW Australia - with two months of sales yet to be added to the tally.

The sales peak was previously hit in 1963, when the company sold around 32,000 vehicles - mostly Beetles with some Kombis. Volkswagen Australia's spokesman Karl Gehling says the brand was on target for a tally of close to 40,000 well before the end of the year.

Related CoverageVW Polo GTI: first-timer packs plenty of potentialVW Passat gives you the boot – by footVW Amarok: rugged and toughVW Golf GTI DSG: reviewVW BlueSport roadster ‘long way off’VW for sale VW specs and VW valuesMore on VOLKSWAGEN
"We are going to achieve a record for Australia, as of this month (October) we have overtaken our previous record of around 32,000 with a couple of months to go. "We'll wait and see, I won't put a number on it," he says.

While the 2010 number will be looking good for the German brand, the 2011 calendar has nine new or refreshed models turning up in VW dealerships, including the new Amarok light-commercial, the Touareg SUV, Passat sedan and wagon, the updated Eos convertible and the new Jetta.

The Golf range will grow to include the frugal BlueMotion model early next year, but the BlueMotion catalogue could be expanded if the company sees demand for the frugal Passat BlueMotion passenger sedan.

The model recently set a world record for covering more than 2400km on one tank of fuel, but the Australian arm of the German car maker has no immediate plans for Passat BlueMotion in Australia. What is coming is a new version of the Passat CC – and don't discount another Passat R model.

Hanno Greuner, part of technical section of Project Management Team, says the R line is not yet extinct … "there will be something" … and there are highlights in the pipeline. "We have an R for the Golf, Scirocco … and I think the R is a perfect match for Passat."

"Increased engine size can sometimes make it difficult to satisfy exhaust emission standards, I think it will be possible to use a smaller and more powerful engine, and more fuel efficient," he says. The evolution of the Golf R, from a V6 to a higher-boost turbo four, points to a smaller-capacity R-Series Passat with higher outputs and better economy and emissions.

"I suspect we will get more downsizing in capacity and upsizing in power output," he says. Herr Greuner says the next Passat CC will follow the new family DNA styling sequence. "There is a VW design language and the next CC will speak that same language," he says, refusing to elaborate further.

Can Ford send their sales guys and learn from VW ????

Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Danny
GT4.

VW seem to really have found their place in the aussie market. I mean I honestly do not see that many more Dub ads than Ford ads, yet Veedub seem to have hit a soft spot for Australian motorists, The Golf is a fantastic car, as are the Passats and the Touareg is a fantastic car both on and off road, the Tiguan has been a surprise as well. Then of course the Prices they ask for them are significantly cheaper than their BMW or Audi Counterparts, they get excellent standard features and options, and the build quality is right up there with them, I can see why people are buying them in droves.. The R had everything that I wanted at the right price so I went for it.

It's not like Ford hasnt been trying, they have the Mondeo, the Focus, and the brilliant little Fiesta, however the problem is, that when people gee up a Passat against a mondeo or a focus against the Veedub equivalent, they will go for the VW ususally because of the branding (and usually the prices are very similar). Its a horrible situation for Ford, people are very one minded and discount them because of the badge.

As a member of VWWatercooled Forums, I see every day the sort of attitude from Dub owners to Fords just because of the name and believe me I do wave the blue flag over there if they get too nasty..
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Well done VW, they certainly produce a very high standard of motor vehicles.

I like this sentence as it echo's the sentiments and direction of Ford:

Quote:
"Increased engine size can sometimes make it difficult to satisfy exhaust emission standards, I think it will be possible to use a smaller and more powerful engine, and more fuel efficient," he says. The evolution of the Golf R, from a V6 to a higher-boost turbo four, points to a smaller-capacity R-Series Passat with higher outputs and better economy and emissions.
This could bode well for the 4cyl Falcon and even the new FPV's. If it is marketed properly.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Danny
GT4.

Agreed there. The ecoboost is going to be quite a good car..
Old 02-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Poor man's Audi. You get much the same car for a lot less.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW have the perfect combination of brand prestige and great cars. The brand image however is what is getting them sales. In a day and age where everything is about logos and brand names, the first thing a VW salesman will point out to you is the engine bay, where many components are stamped with an Audi badge as well as a VW logo. People think they are getting a cheap Audi, and they are pretty much spot on.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
glavas

no way the eco boost is gunna fail. everyone i know hates 4 cylinders. and in a big car is just madness. what about the i6??? its a good engine and good on fuel anyway so how much better can you get??? owning v8's all my life anything under 14l per 100km is quite good.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Since when did a VW become prestige? In europe, they'd laugh if you told them VW had a prestige image.

Aussies seem to have this "thing" with anything european = prestige.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Skoda is really a generation behind Golf. Still a good car, at a good price.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Poor man's Audi. You get much the same car for a lot less.
Haha Amen mate, My Golf R in Audi S3 Form with my options (i.e same running gear and platform) is pushing $90K... where my R cost me a Blu ray player less than $60k

Quote:
Originally Posted by "FFOracing
Aussies seem to have this "thing" with anything european = prestige.
True, and so to the Americans. Naturally we and the Yanks will compare generally with what our own country produces. Where in Europe, VW and BMW are just yer standard runs of the mill.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I have a soft Spot for VW and love the new GTI's & Golf R but it's alot of coin for a little car. (Not as much as the RS though..)

Quite like the look of the new VW Ute aswell.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Yes, generally they are of very good quality however after buying a Polo a few years ago for my wife, and it wasn't the base model or even the next model up either:
You have to be careful that everything you assume would be fitted, are actually on the model you buy. Found there was no bootlight, and only two speakers in the front, none at the back.
The rattles from the dash from new in various places, the BA1 Ghia and now the XR50 are far better in that respect.
However the galvanized body and other things are quite impressive.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
Since when did a VW become prestige?
I said VW had brand prestige. And let's face it, as others have said, they're a cut price Audi.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW Polo ad.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7Ms48DQX0